1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunny G. -- Auburn?

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by TumbleweedDoom, Jun 14, 2013.

1. TumbleweedDoom

TumbleweedDoom New Member

2. colston15

colston15 New Member

Seems like a ploy to get what he wants, be it stadium expansion, more money or both. I'm OK with it if that's the case.

Having said that, if he's really interested in the job and isn't just trying to gain leverage, he can go take a long walk off a short pier.

OU baseball won before he got here and will once he leaves.

3. mojorisen2014

mojorisen2014 New Member

Gene Stephenson is available

4. TumbleweedDoom

TumbleweedDoom New Member

With college baseball being bigger down there than it ever will be up here, his stock being higher than it ever has been and (considering he's not a spring chicken anymore) ever might be again, a likely rebuilding season facing him next year and just the general nonsense he's had to put up with, I definitely think there's a chance he would take it. Not saying he will, but just saying there's a legit chance.

5. colston15

colston15 New Member

6. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Meh, we'll find someone else good if he goes. There's not a lot of job security in the SEC, so hopefully money isn't the only deciding factor if he goes.

7. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

8. champions77

champions77 New Member

If I was Sunny, I would leave in a heartbeat. Getting OU to do something is like pulling teeth. Currently undergoing 7 phases of upgrades, 7. I think one phase is painting the men's restrooms, another is painting the women's restrooms. Outside of the few seats directly behind the dugouts, the capacity of L. Dale Mitchell has change very little....in 30 years. If I have to stare at those ugly berms running down the lines one more year I'm going to scream. I am sure most teams that play for the first time are shocked to see it, thinking "this is where OU plays".

Sunny is looking for a better place. Amazing how those places are now found in the SEC. A place we turned down. Boren probably afraid that the SEC competition would force him to upgrade L. Dale in only three phases.

9. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I think you over-simplified the phase process. Phase one is probably picking out the right shade of white to paint the restrooms. Phase two is procurement of paint brushes. Etc., etc.

LDM needs work. And more than just a new coat of paint. It may be the worst playing facility on campus. Maybe with the women winning the national title, and the men making a run into the super regionals, Castiglione can find a way to make it better.

I'd hate to see Sunny leave, but if he's leaving to finish his career in a place he thinks appreciates college baseball more, then I say "don't let the door hit you".

10. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

11. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

12. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If true, I hope the whiny bitchy fans amongst us are pleased, we will have lost a really good coach

13. Collier11

14. NorthernIowaSooner

NorthernIowaSooner New Member

It's too bad that he is leaving, he did good things here. Auburn must be throwing around a lot of money, they hired Arizona State's softball coach away (who is an Az St grad) and Sunny who went to college in Oklahoma and has been in the state for many years. I'd think it cost them a lot to pry them both loose.

15. Collier11

I just hope JOE C goes after a stud coach to keep the program going and perhaps take us a step further

16. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

I'm not so sure why adding seats are so important when 2 of 3 seats on average is unfilled game after game. I thing Sunny was divisive for the program and maybe not even his fault. He is a good coach but I don't think it's possible for him to bring all factions of the program together ala Stoops or Kruger. I think we'll be fine in the long run and wish Sunny good luck.

17. hvhurricane

hvhurricane New Member

The only way this ends up being a good thing is if the new coach can get improvements made to the facilities as part of his new contract. This is prob the only way we get Boren to make any major improvements to L Dale and make it at least a top flight Big 12 facility. He obviously, doesn't care about the baseball program and did absolutely nothing to keep SG. Tells you how much Boren and Castiglione really care about baseball.

18. BoomerJack

BoomerJack New Member

Hey Tycat: "factions of the program". What factions are you talking about???

It's been my observation that attendance is pathetic and has been the last 2-3 years even with the Sooners' record. (Something about one of only five D-1 programs in the country having 40+ wins over the last five years.) In my opinion, UT and Baylor have better parks and show better fan support. And it's just a matter of time before OSU builds a park that's gonna blow L. Dale Mitchell away.

I think Sunny just got tired of his team being an afterthought in the athletic dept.

19. Soonerus

Soonerus SoonerFans.com Elite Member

See you Sunny, never really cared for you...

20. Collier11

That's cus you don't know what you are talking about Rus