1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunny G. -- Auburn?

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by TumbleweedDoom, Jun 14, 2013.

1. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My wife played soccer at ORU whilst Galloway coached there. She always said he was not a favorite amongst the players.
    It's one thing to be a hard *** walk the line type but I've always heard it's a little higher on the prick meter.

2. BoomerJack

BoomerJack New Member

Overton apologized?? For what he said or because he said it over Twitter??

3. Romulus

Romulus New Member

I have not seen anywhere that Overton apologized if anything Jake Trotter says that Overton is still backing what he said and isn't apologizing

4. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Look at Saban, a complete ****** and by EVERY account an *******, and he is the best coach in the game. Also, many have said that while Sunny is really hard on his players, he has gotten better. You don't need to be nice, you highlighted that and I don't get it. I always respect your views but I don't get what your point is?

5. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Im sorry but the age difference doesn't mean squat, they are both grown men

6. TweenerTues

TweenerTues New Member

I would have to name off 9 years of rosters. You would need to explain a lot of occasions. Kids disliked Sunny whether they started or were on the bench. It was program wide hate. Every coach or staff member that has traveled with the team would attest to his character. If there were to come out publicly you would just call them whiners anyway! HV you may write on this board and think you know OU baseball, but you haven't the slightest clue what goes on. Ill leave it at that. SG is garnering too much attention, and he loves it!

7. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Yeah, I meant to highlight the whole line (just about being a hard ***)...apparently, I only 'bolded' the nice part. Sorry 'bout that.

Anyway, I completely understand where you're coming from, and I too respect your opinion. I think there is certainly a place in every sport for a coach to be a hardline, dictaor-type coach. In fact, there are times (whether in practice or games) that it's required. My issue is with coaches that make that their sole means of operation. The 24-7-365 *******.

I suppose my stance is really focused on youth coaching (high school and below). Like I said in my earlier post, that issue could be an entire topic on it's own, but to touch on it (and where I am coming from), too many youth coaches coach that way because that's how they were coached. The problem is, they remember the *** that coached them being an *** all the time. In reality, he probably wasn't, but that's what they remember (at least that's my take), but they take it a step further and become the 24-7-365 ***. At the youth level, patience is almost always the first tool in a successful coaches bag. And in almost every way, patience and being a dick head are mutually exclusive. Many times, the coach ends up driving kids away that may otherwise develop their skill and fall in love with the game.

I know that last paragraph is in reference to youth sports, but I figured that would at least give you an idea of where I'm coming from.

As for Saban, he's clearly an *** to the media, and from the sound of things, he can be an *** to work for. However, you never hear about former players calling him out for being as ***. That tells me that internally, where it matters most, he's only an *** when the situation dictates he be that way.

To me, coaching can follow the same old saying that works for almost all relationships: "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar". It sounds like SG used a lot of vinegar. I do hesitate to lynch SG, because I know that you listen to both sides and the truth typically lies somewhere in the middle. Which is why I haven't really given an opinion, I just don't know enough.

Hope that clarifies it a little.

Collier11 likes this.
  8. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I would have to say that in the case of coaches that are big meanies to players, the Manginos, the Golloways, the Sabans, the Leaches, if you win, it doesn't matter how mean you are. The players deal with the not-niceties a lot better if there's winning.

Lose and you're fired or ousted in some less demeaning way... and yes, your players may take to twitter.

And once again, good riddance to Sunny Galloway. I really, really hope some of the things the Internet has alluded to are reported now that he is gone. What am I talking about? Oh, there's so much to choose from.

9. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

According to Golloway he did, but then again it's Golloway. In spite of his coaching abilities, it's great he's gone.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/printerfriendlyblog.aspx?articleid=20811

Golloway talks Twitter, his farewell from OU and the Sooners' future
    By ERIC BAILEY Sports Writer
    6/17/2013 1:14:00 PM

Former Oklahoma pitcher Dillon Overton has not hidden his feelings for outgoing Sooners coach Sunny Golloway.

Overton, a second-round draft pick who reportedly agreed to terms with the Oakland Athletics on Monday, took to Twitter to relay his feelings to Golloway.

The tweets from @OvertonDillon directed to @coach_G29 (Golloway):

*** “All the crap I went through this year/season... But my team helped me through it. Good luck with the new coach boys. #finally #playforyou”

*** @coach_G29 thanks for being two faced the entire time I knew you. Lied to our whole team and never had any of our backs. The program made me

*** @coach_G29 better...which is something you couldn't do. I hope all the talking behind my back to my teammates comes back to you in some way

*** @coach_G29 ...You really disappointed me and all my teammates. Good luck at Auburn

Golloway did respond to Overton, but has since taken down the tweet:

*** Im sorry you feel this way and chose to do this dillon. RT @coach_G29 ...You really disappointed me and all my teammates

Golloway did an interview with KREF Sportstalk 1400 on Monday morning. He didn’t specifically point out Overton, but alluded to the incident.

Golloway: “Unfortunately, we’re all fully aware that there was some negative feedback from some particular … I feel bad about that because the timing of some of that stuff that comes out negative on social media seems to be late at night and nocturnal activity and then I have a long, (apologizing) tweet this morning from a player that said he learned a valuable lesson and he’s really sorry and he feels like it’s damaged his relationship with me.”

Did Overton apologize? While it appears that way through Golloway’s words, no one has publicly confirmed that.

Golloway said Auburn reached out to some of his representatives before the Super Regional at LSU. Golloway added he spoke with the team about the Auburn position on Sunday. Golloway added that his pick for the next Oklahoma coach would have been Todd Butler, who was named Wichita State’s coach on Monday.

Other highlights during Golloway’s interview with Toby Rowland:

Golloway on coaching at Oklahoma and Oral Roberts during most of his career: “I thank the state of Oklahoma and thank all of its fans. I know there are some people that are unhappy. I know there are some people that are angry. I know there are some people that are happy to see me go and that’s life and I understand that and I accept it. I have thick skin.”

Golloway on saying good-bye for to his OU players: (Auburn football) Coach (Gus) Malzhan and I were talking … he had the luxury of flying back to Arkansas State and telling his whole team in one setting because they were there … our players were all over the country immediately. It makes it tough when you leave in baseball. I didn’t get to talk to all of the players at Oral Roberts when I left. They were all over the country. I didn’t get to talk to all of these guys. They are all over the country. You want to thank them and you are not able to.”

Golloway on relationship with legendary OU coach Enos Semore: Coach Semore was never going to embrace me. He made that very public. It goes back to Stan Meek getting one semester (Note: Meek coached one season, 1990) and not getting longer. I agree with that. Stan Meek should have gotten longer than one semester to prove he was a good baseball coach. Coach Semore left in January and Coach Meek was dismissed that following June. It was not this administration. It was not any of us. But it started a downward spiral with the former coach. He wanted Gene Stephenson – we all know that story. He told me he would be supportive, but he wasn’t supportive. He was outwardly unsupportive. It made it a tough job. Coach (Larry) Cochell … talked to him at times but he just didn’t to come around the ballpark. It made this job difficult. Maybe too difficult.

Golloway on OU’s baseball: “The University of Oklahoma is a great place and to coach at its baseball program is a great job … my only hope and prayer for the University of Oklahoma baseball program is that they can get all of their families together. They can get their past, present and their future together. They need a coach to walk away saying good things and being public about what a great place it is. That hasn’t happened for 30-something years. It’s happening today.

Here is Golloway’s interview with KREF Sports Talk 1400

Follow OU Sports Writers Guerin Emig and Eric Bailey on Twitter.

10. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

Another article from Newsok.com

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-baseball-joe-simpson-thrilled-that-sunny-golloway-left-ou/article/3853988

Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
    Former Sooner standout among several former players who have expressed their feelings about Golloway, who is now the coach at Auburn.

NORMAN — The end of Oklahoma baseball's Sunny Golloway era elicited a wide variety of reactions: Anger, disappointment, indifference and — in some instances — outright glee.

Joe Simpson, an All-America outfielder at OU under legendary former Sooners coach Enos Semore, didn't hold back when contacted by telephone Tuesday afternoon.

“I'm so thrilled that he's gone that they could hire a basset hound and it would be an improvement,” said Simpson, an Atlanta Braves broadcaster the past two decades.

“I haven't had anything to do with the program since near the end of the Larry Cochell era. I didn't want to have anything to do with it as long as Sunny Golloway was the head coach because I think he's a sorry individual. I think he's a bad guy. I want to thank Auburn University for taking him off our hands and getting him out of Norman.”

Golloway accepted Auburn's head coaching position last weekend, bringing an end to his nearly nine-year run as OU coach.

In a Tuesday interview with The Oklahoman, he admitted feeling hurt after some of the harsher comments, not the least of which came Sunday night from OU pitcher Dillon Overton's Twitter account.

Overton, who was picked in the second round of the MLB Draft by the Oakland Athletics, sent three tweets to Golloway, calling his old coach “two-faced,” and saying he “lied to our whole team and never had any of our backs.”

A few other Golloway-era Sooners sent concurring tweets; former reserve catcher Jake Smith said Golloway is “crooked” and “puts out a huge front to the public.”

Golloway said some of those critical players — he wouldn't say which ones — have since apologized.

“It's against the law to drink and drive because you could hurt somebody,” Golloway said. “But it's OK. It's just words, so you forgive and move on.”

Fair or not, Golloway leaves Norman an extremely polarizing figure.

Golloway's on-field success throughout his eight-plus seasons as head coach speaks for itself; the Sooners just completed a fifth consecutive 40-win season and won their first Big 12 Tournament since 1997.

OU also reached the 2010 College World Series under Golloway. But throughout his tenure, Golloway made lots of enemies, particularly among players from past eras.

Simpson said he and other Sooners from the Semore era — which lasted from 1969-89 and included five College World Series appearances — haven't felt welcome around the program under Golloway.

“Those of us that have been estranged from the program for a decade still want the program to be great,” Simpson said. “We want, more than anything, for Enos Semore to be a guy that is still involved in the program. When a class act like Enos Semore can't even hang around the ballclub, that is a really sad state of affairs for all of us.”

Jordan John, who pitched two seasons at Oklahoma under Golloway and is playing his first year in the Detroit Tigers' organization, responded Sunday night to Overton's tweets with additional negative comments about his former coach — “I busted my (rear) for the man and after (a Super Regional), he told me I was worthless” — but quickly deleted them.

John said in a telephone interview that he'd apologized to Golloway and regretted his tweet.

“The remark I made (Sunday) night — in the heat of the moment I said something,” John said. “I was getting heat from former teammates and guys at OU that are there now. I did say things that were tasteless.

“I wouldn't be sitting here enjoying playing professional baseball if it weren't for OU.”

With the Golloway era ended, Oklahoma's focus turns to finding his replacement. Dallas Baptist's Dan Heefner has generated lots of buzz as a candidate, and many more coaches around the country will surely be interested in the job.

“I hope the program moves in an even stronger direction without me,” Golloway said. “No coach before me has said that, and I'm saying that. I want my time here and what I've done to help strengthen the future. I would tell the new head coach that he got a great job and he is gonna have a great time.”

Golloway expressed excitement about the future at Auburn and said he'll remember his time at OU fondly, but added he doesn't expect negative comments from his Oklahoma detractors to stop anytime soon.

“It hurts,” Golloway said. “You wonder what you did wrong. You must've done things to offend people. You shed tears over it, pick yourself up, brush yourself off and move on.

“But for guys like (radio host) Jim Traber, coach Enos Semore and whoever else wants to jump on, this is their day. They're allowed to be critical.”

11. MsProudSooner

MsProudSooner New Member

Coaches leave schools all the time, but I don't think I've ever seen such an overwhelming public backlash against a coach by his former players as we are seeing now. If it were only one or two players, you could blame it on sour grapes, but this is obviously more than that.

12. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

Exactly! I think we can see why fan support and attendance were floundering.

13. TweenerTues

TweenerTues New Member

I think it has been established that Sunny Golloway is a rotten individual. Look no further than the people who turned down the move to Auburn. Jack Giese, who i think we can agree, is an up and comer in college baseball has decieded to roll the dice and stay at OU for the time being. Why would Giese make this decision? Im sure with the SEC budget Sunny receives he can afford to pay Giese top dollar, right? If SG and Giese were to have success it would almost be certain that Giese would be in line for a head coaching gig. So why didn't he go? Family reasons? This is a guy who has no guarantee of staying at OU and turned down big money to go coach in the SEC under the greatest coach in OU history (As defended by some of you).

Next all reports also have Ryan Gaines staying at OU, without the security of him having a job after the hire. Gaines and SG have been together since ORU with a brief break during SGs asst years at OU. Ryan Gaines does have stonger Oklahoma ties than Giese but why would he too turn down a pay increase? Family probably kept Ryan Gaines here but Sunny thought they were for sure coming with him to Auburn and even flew them in for his presser.

With this tidbit of information I think you can see, without a shadow of a doubt that OU baseball was not as it seemed. This program had major debacles every year during season ("entitlement" issues, 2011 debacle that was made public). Sunny seeks drama/excuses for why his team plays bad. Cannot look in the mirror and realize that he called every offensive play and in years past every pitch. He has more impact on a game then Bob Stoops does, but its all the players fault when they lose?

In short, Why did Giese and Ryan Gaines not follow SG? They have no job security once the next guy is hired. They risk their family's well being over a move to Auburn? Does this back up everything Overton said on Twitter? I don't think it defends SG's character.

And to Clarify, Sunny has only implied that Dillon had apologized. Never come out and said it, Dillon hasnt come out publicly to retract his statements. If history tells us anything it is that Sunny will say anything if he thinks it will make him look better to the public. Do not believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Blaming Dillons remarks on "nocturnal activity" aka DRUNK! I will say this plain and sober, Sunny Golloway is a liar. I believe that Giese and Gaines' actions back that claim up.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  14. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

As usual, Jon completely jumps off the cliff.

If you bothered to read what I wrote, I said it's not the coach's fault when a player screws the pooch on the field. That's it Jon. People like you wanna scream for a coach's head if a guy drops a fly ball. When called on it you go "well he could have recruited him better" or "he could have hit more fungos to him" or "the bottom line is the coach."

If a coach's scheme/plan/etc. doesn't work on a regular basis, then yeah, blame the coach. If a few knuckleheads whine because the coach is mean, meh. Sunny is a good coach. He may be a prick, but he's a good coach.

The real rub with me is that I've listened to it on this board for dang near 20 years, and I've listened to it in the stands for longer than that. Every time OU loses a game; or plays down to an inferior opponent and manages to win, there's a very loud/strong contingent of our "fans" who scream "fire Coach XXX." Always fire a coach. Never say "you know, if Billy Badass the All-World QB needs to screw his head on straight."

15. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

heh

16. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think it is becoming rather obvious why donors and
    administrators were reluctant to upgrade OU's baseball facilities.

17. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

Agreed, especially with donors. But Joe C and OU has spent over $2M on upgrades that mostly effect the players (hitting facility, scoreboard, locker rooms, etc). I wouldn't be surprised to see future renovations/expansion to happen rather quickly.

18. soonertravis

soonertravis New Member

I think people are getting confused between a hard-nosed coach and a jerk. I have no personal knowledge, not even second hand knowledge of the Golloway situation. Coaching in general is difficult. It often requires different methods of motivation for different players, and sometimes for a single player at different times. I played high school sports and played for people who yelled and people who were players coaches and my favorite was the yeller. The reason was that he yelled with purpose. He did it when he needed in order to get better performance from players. I would hazard to guess it is not yelling and being hard-nosed that these players didn't like. One thing I always knew about my coach was that he had my back and I always knew where I stood. I had a players coach who started me for 5 games and then benched me without a word being said. I didn't even get on the floor in basketball for the next 5 games. Didn't know if it was alack of effort, not being as good as another kid. Just never knew where I stood.

But the toughest of the coaches who demanded the most from me also made sure I knew where I stood. He didn't talk about it to other players. He didn't put me in the doghouse without explaining what I needed to do to improve.

The theme from each story from former players seem to have more to do with lying, back-stabbing, talking about things with others instead of being direct with the player. A coach should never put team stuff out in the media. It just leads to hard feelings.

That Overton was a player who spoke out is telling to me. He has no reason to be disgruntled over his role. He was a weekend started since his freshman year. He was just drafted in the second round. And yet his frustration was so great that it boiled over in public. It tells me a lot about the kind of human being Golloway is. He won a lot of games, but it takes more than winning to be a successful coach.

19. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

We have a winner!!!

20. colston15

colston15 New Member