1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunny G. -- Auburn?

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by TumbleweedDoom, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Soonerus

Soonerus SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You'd be surprised, he should have been gone a few years ago but lucked out and won some games..

2. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He lucked out by being one of only 5 coaches to win 40 or more games for 5 straight years?

3. mojorisen2014

mojorisen2014 New Member

It's weird with him leaving. And it's weird that I don't care that he is leaving. But im looking forward to see who Joe C picks.

4. hvhurricane

hvhurricane New Member

For a coach who has always lived in OK his whole life, and dreamed of having the OU job his whole life, this is shocking. It does tell me three things, though.
    1. SG obviously didn't have a great relationship with JC and Zd
    DB and didn't believe he was going to get the financial support he needed to improve OU's facilities to elite status.
    2. SG felt if he had had one bad year, he would have been on the hook.
    3. SG felt like the OU fans would never embrace the program enough to give them an advantage in the postseason.
    No matter what anybody says about JC, he has never been committed to improving the program to a top national power. I don't think SG believed he could win a NC at OU and could at AU. That says a lot when the coach of the Big 12 Champions takes the last place job in the SEC.

5. Collier11

His pay was almost doubled, that helps

6. colston15

colston15 New Member

This is where the old Seymore/Heyward faction will show their true colors. They'll try to derail anyone not in their camp, just like they did with SG.

They'll never hate anyone as much as Golloway, but if they don't get their guy they'll try to sabotage him.

They're losers.

7. MichiganSooner

MichiganSooner Well-Known Member

John Hoover delivered his thoughts in Tulsa World. First, his hiring situation was not good. Took over as Interim Coach in 2005 and the team rallied to finish strong. Then JC offered the head job to Stephenson of Wichita State who took it and then changed his mind. JC then offered the job to Golloway. In 2010, the team went to the World Series and Sonny got a raise from $200k to $310k. In 2011, the experienced players flopped; gave up. Why? Then he got a contract extension with $5,000 raises per year through 2017. Meanwhile, football coaches got big increases despite the team not making expectations. Hoover mentioned Josh from $200k to $350k. Mike Stoops hired at $600k. Martinez, Patton, Shipp, and Kittle got big raises.
    Kind of easy to see that Golloway felt underappreciated.

8. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

None of the fans who thought Sunny was just an above average coach caused him to sign with Auburn. If you want to get upset get upset with the guy who signed the contract with Auburn. I suspect we will find another coach who can keep us finishing in the top 16 most years. As far as stadium improvements are concerned I would remind OU fans how much crap we gave OSU for expanding their football stadium since they could not fill the old rustoleum stadium. The baseball program , and every other program at OU will play a very distant second fiddle to the football program because that's all the fans care about.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  9. Collier11

That is what you took from that? That I blame you whiny fans for him leaving? What I was saying is that those of you who have bitched and whined about SG for years now, despite his high levels of success and consistency, you people got what you wanted so I hope you are happy. Lets hope Joe C can find someone better

10. nighttrain12

nighttrain12 Well-Known Member

Hopefully his hot daughter sticks around. :)

11. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Well, OU is (and will always be) a football first school, surely SG knew that. Secondly, if he thinks it doesn't work that way at Auburn, then he's mistaken. I think Hoover may be barking up the wrong tree. There isn't a school in the country that pays their baseball coach more than their football coach (at least not a division 1 school).

12. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

LDM does not need to be expanded, it could use some upgrading but it doesn't need more empty seats. Maybe a plan to add temporary seating as needed and if that works then a plan to add permanent seats should the need arise.

13. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Weird for me too. I feel about the same. In addition, kinda wish Boren would retire, but not Castiglione.

14. MsProudSooner

MsProudSooner New Member

Is Auburn's baseball program as dirty as their football program?

15. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I like how anybody who disagrees with a coach's supporters and gives reasons why he/she disagrees is labeled bitchy and whiny.

16. Collier11

any fan who bitches and whines about a team that is one of the 5 most consistent in the nation over a 5 year span, one that has gone to a super regional 3 times and the CWS, something we hadn't done since the 90s, that is a bitchy and whiny fan. You are correct and you wear it well in this instance

17. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My time as a Sooner diamond fan goes back to Semore and team featuring Keith Drumright and Kelly Snyder(1975?) .I appreciate what Sunny did for OU but I look forward to the future with a new coach.

8timechamps likes this.
  18. Collier11

I can get on board with that stance...Sunny did a lot of good for OU baseball, interesting to see who we can grab

19. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Something like that. Larry Cochelle did a great job too, winning it all in '94, and then getting shamefully forced to resign. We screwed our own program, IMO by doing that. Seems like just recently. How time flies!

20. hvhurricane

hvhurricane New Member

This attitude is exactly one of the reasons Sunny left. You have to have elite facilities to compete at the elite level year end and year out. SG did the best job he could do considering the support he received from the AD and the fans. I disagreed with some of SG's Baseball moves, but the guy did a very good job with what he had to work with. We have the second worse facilities in the Big 12. Only OSU has worse facilities and even WVU outdrew OU at the gate. If the AD have a damn about the baseball program, he could work with the major donors to build a state of the art facility and drive the attendance up. They could easily make it an event to go to an OU game. SG really did a great job to make us a consistent top 15 team. He, or anyone else, will not make us a CWS regular without a committmemt to the program. Don't be surprised if JC goes the assistant route and low balls the job.