1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunny G. -- Auburn?

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by TumbleweedDoom, Jun 14, 2013.

1. nighttrain12

nighttrain12 Well-Known Member

It was shameful what he said, not the fact he was forced to resign. The program didn't really miss a beat after that, once Sunny was named the permanent head coach.

2. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm not at all convinced that he was guilty of racism, but that was what was levied against him. I'm sure our competitors were glad to see him go. Seemed somewhat railroadish at the time.

3. TweenerTues

TweenerTues New Member

My Thoughts:

First, good for Sunny, major pay increase and moves to the SEC.

Hopefully our next Coach will schedule games against premier opponents at home so we can try and fill some seats. Who wants to come out on a Tuesday and watch Pine Bluff? Or a Saturday and see William and Mary? Not this guy! Play some people with better RPI's so you aren't always complaining about it. We play 4 game weekend series against Alabama St. Make up games against St. Gregory, MidAmerican Christian. We are talking marquee matchups here. The only thing Sunny cares about is 40 wins (25k bonus). The attendance will be hurt if you play scrubs. Give the fans what they want! I can remember when UCLA was here in 09' we had good crowds. That's the last big home series against a formidable opponent outside the Big XII.

Next, it is sad when I speak with former players and they are relieved that Golloway is gone. They feel as if they can root for OU again. This sound familiar? But wait, these guys played for Sunny! Guys from teams as recent as 2011. Sunny was a staunch dictator, despised by coaches and players! Ask a former player their thoughts on Sunny. Each one will tell you a 4 letter word that rhymes with Rick. Hopefully with Sunny gone everyone can become family again. Think, a world without excuses! A world with out Sunny throwing a kid under the bus after a loss!

Good Luck in Auburn, maybe now he will come to the office during the day or show up for practice in the fall! Things he rarely did the past 4 years. I watch from the berm many a days as then Tadlock, Bell now Thomas, Giese ran practice without Sunny in sight.

Fans do not make teams better. Home field advantage doesn't matter. If that were the case OU would not have made it out of Virginia. South Carolina and LSU beat us because they were better not because the fill the stands. Tired of the excuses! Hopefully the next coach is someone we can rally around!

A little off topic, but wanted to vent after I heard his pompous presser.

Here is to getting back to Omaha!

8timechamps likes this.
  4. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

OU baseball fans suck and deserve what they get. Let me re-phrase that. OU baseball fans who never fill a seat at LDM park yet bitch and whine about whatever coach happens to be there suck.

Those that think an expansion to LDM is the answer are numbskulls. Improvements? Hells yes. Expansion? Why? The place is like a mausoleum; even when we're playing Big 12 teams. What do we average, maybe 400 - 500 per game? I know Texas had over 6K at our games in Austin - and they sucked.

I'm convinced that the whiners and bitchers are just whiners and bitchers by nature. Many of the same posters rag on the football/basketball coaches as well. These are people who just have to find someone to point a finger at. Makes them feel better I guess. Me? I feel the ones playing the game/driving the car/doing the deed are responsible when they screw the pooch. I don't blame Obama for Nancy Pelosi's constant **** ups. I blame Pelosi.

5. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

What he said was ignorant, not sure it was racism. He was really struggling when it all happened for a few years so it made it an easy decision im sure

6. Collier11

Same thing with our basketball fans

8timechamps likes this.
  7. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Horse****. Shameful? Meh. I know the coach. He should not have said it, but he didn't say it with any intent, and everybody knows that. Larry is a fine man with nary a racist bone in his body. The OU admin just used it as an excuse to dump him, and the bleeding heart libs jumped all over it. Water under the dam...

8. Collier11

I may be wrong but didn't Joe Dunigan come out in support of Larry?

9. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

It seemed that way to me, too. I don't know him personally like you do, but it smacked of hatched job, from what I've read about the situation.

10. nighttrain12

Yes, the player who was spoken of stated he didn't want to see the coach get fired but it wasn't his decision, it was Boren/Castiglione's decision. No one claimed Cochell was a racist, just that it was a racially offensive remark, that he made in 2 separate interviews with 2 different ESPN reporters. Cochell never denied it or claimed he was taken out of context. Just to refresh some peoples memories:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2052267

11. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

Cochelle said: ""there's no n----- in him." Cochell, who is white, later spoke of Dunigan to Peterson, saying "There are honkies and white people. There are n------ and black people. Dunigan is a good black kid."

I don't see that what he said should have been reason to can him, nor force him to resign. Black players for him who were interviewed didn't seem to think so either.

12. colston15

colston15 New Member

I'll miss the 40-win seasons, the Super Regionals and the Big 12 Tournament Titles, but I sure won't miss these posts.

13. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Ouch! I thought I was critical of Sunny.

14. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

FIFY. And why are you so sure the poster is not on the money with his criticism?

15. TweenerTues

TweenerTues New Member

Colston, please refer to Dillion Overton's twitter account. YIKES!

8timechamps likes this.
  16. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Good grief! Guess things were, um, not so good.

17. TweenerTues

TweenerTues New Member

Colston, refer to Jake Smith. SG is not a man of character. Teams won in spite of him.

18. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I don't have a problem with this post. First, TweenerTues seems to be pretty plugged in to former players. Secondly, I didn't think this was that critical of SG. This isn't the first time I've heard (read) he was never around. I can understand a major league coach not running every BP or pitching session, but at the college level, that should be a no-brainer.

I'm not "in the know" enough to really voice an opinion of Galloway, but the gist of this post was right on point and the message could be spread to cover basketball, or football. College coaches shouldn't throw a player under the bus, ever. I know for a fact SG did that. And scheduling is a big reason why nobody attends the games. I used to go to Sooner home games regularly when I lived there, and there were some big time teams that came to Norman, and the atmosphere was always elevated. There is no speculation that better names draw bigger crowds. That's true for every sport.

Whether you liked SG or not, he chose to leave OU. And now, at least one former player has aired some harsh thoughts toward him. I have no love loss for SG. Hopefully, the next guy can bring the program together.

19. nighttrain12

You can't expect every single player to love the head coach. Sunny guided the team to many many victories, no matter what the method may have been behind closed doors. I think Overton makes himself look bad with his comments.

20. BoomerJack

BoomerJack New Member

What did Mr. Overton say?