1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogging wimmens basketball

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Nov 27, 2009.

1. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Carlee only went for 5 against Arkinsaw. MAN I wish I could have seen this one! We were at a party so we missed it, but it sounds like the girls had an exciting game...

2. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

This blog post is brought to you by Sherri Coale's stilettos:
    [​IMG]
    Now that I have your attention, we must turn our attention to something that came as a huge surprise to me, even though it was in front of me all along this season:

We have 10 players.

As you all have already heard, one of them is out all season long with an ACL tear. So, we actually have nine players... and only eight played in the 87-86 overtime victory versus Arkansas.

Arkansas had 10 players play. We had eight... two of our players played more than 40 minutes - D Rob and Nyeshia - and they must be tired as hell afterwards. This is definitely going to effect us down the stretch, especially as we have to deal with the likes of perennial conference thugs (Texas A&M, Poke State's Andrea Riley) and really tall and unathletic players who can dunk (chick from Baylor).

It is with this revelation that our OU womens basketball team has less depth than OU football's offensive line, the margin of error gets very thin.

1- No turnovers allowed!
    2- No missed free throws allowed!
    3- No fouling out allowed!

Given the recurring issues that OU has historically had with each of these areas, Sherri's stilettos are going to get an especially hard workout this season as Coach Coale's stare pierces into the souls of those that would dare commit silly fouls, bonk free throws and pass the ball like the government will simply bail them out later.

Therefore, I must call out those who are guilty of these three deadly sins from now on.

Turnover Queen: Nyeshia (5)
    Foul happy: Carlee and Amanda (4 each)
    Throw free: Abi (5 for 8) and Carlee (2 for 5)

Therefore, in order to be named player of the week, a player may not get any of these dishonors, so I am pleased to honor a player that led the team in scoring in this important win - Danielle Robinson, who not only played longer than regulation (41 minutes), but scored 31. You go, girl.

[​IMG]

OU is now 8-2 (including two exhibition games). OU is ranked No. 16 the AP poll, but ESPN/USAToday has not been released yet this week.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  3. badger

To put in perspective, the womens team had 13 on roster last year, 12 the year before that, and the mens team currently has 15.

We we now have nine since even though Whitney Hand is still on the roster and I'm sure she's still contributing as much as she possibly can... she can't play. It's like the mens team a few years back when we still had KS at the helm. He sure had a lot to say about scholly limits that year :D

In case you're wondering how we got wittled down to 10 players, it seems to be the same reason the men were in the same predicament a few years ago - transfers. If Jenna Plumley didn't raid Walmart's crappy makeup section and Jenna Vining stayed, they'd still be on the roster and we'd be at a more acceptable 12-player level.

EDIT: Thanks Salt City. I forgot about Rose Hammond, which I shouldn't have. With the foul and TO trouble our guards have, we could have used another player to run the offense in desperate moments.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  4. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

Toss in Rose Hammond on that last stat as well. She didn't play much (obviously the reason for her transfer, which I in no way blame her for), but she was at least a warm body, something that is getting increasingly rare with The Guys.

5. badger

This blog post is brought to you by the letter O.
    [​IMG]
    Not "O" as in OU, but "O" as in OVERTIME, which OU relied on once again to get a victory, this time over Marist 80-71.

We play again tonite, so I'll keep this short, but Marist is not an opponent we should be struggling again. I think it has to do with the fact that we have very few reserves (all nine players got time and I'm sure Whitney Hand could stand on the 3-point line full-time and shoot threes with one ACL if necessary - screw defense!) and that it was on the road.

I wonder if any players actually read their press clippings or this message board to see what fans and reporters think of the team... well, if that's so, then Nyeshia's probably ticked at me for not naming her player of the game/week/etc yet... so, have a pic!
    [​IMG]

Turnover Queen: Cloman and Hartman (2 each)
    Foul happy: D-Rob (fouled out), Carlee (4)
    Throw free: Abi (2 of 6)

I am actually quite happy that only the froshies had more than one turnover. This will help us down the stretch a lot if we can minimize this crap. However, I have no doubt in my mind that these froshies wouldn't have had the opportunity to get a multi-turnover game if D-Rob and Carlee weren't in foul trouble. STOP FOULING! NOW! As for free throws, Abi got punished in the minutes category (13) yet still got to shoot more shots at the line than her teammates. Abi dear, you're a senior... start acting like senior Tony Crocker!

Even with the dishonorable mention rules of not being able to honor a player that makes any of those categories, there's nobody else that can be honored this game other than Stevenson. 31 points... and if I'm reading the box score correcting, nine three pointers made. SOMEbody's stepping up for Whitney! Yay!

Army tonite, even on the road, should be a gimme... which means it probably won't be. I'll be back afterward to critique it all.

Boomer!

6. Sooner04

Sooner04 New Member

Good stuff, Badger.

A question: are the women still turning it over 25 times a game with no fear of reprisal?

I'll hang up and listen to the answer off-air. [click]

7. badger

See I'm keeping wimmen's talk to one thread so you don't have to keep asking for a wimmen's board :D

When I watch the mens team pass to Tiny down low this season, it reminds me of seasons past for the women where they would constantly be trying to get it CP3 or AP5. Because the paint is so clogged with defenders (usually), this is where a lot of passes can get tipped or intercepted.

With so many quality outside/midrange shooters, I think that the desire to get the ball inside is minimized... and thus, fewer turnovers (thank gawd)

8. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

How about them Packers huh?

9. badger

:D Keeping NFC North hopes alive just a week longer! :D

10. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Don't know about the Norris, but a wildcard is sure attainable.

11. badger

[​IMG]
    (There really haven't been as many Sherri pics on SS.com this season and I'm starting to run out... maybe this blog can survive without the constant Coale pics? Nah, who am I kidding...that's the only reason most of you tuned into wimmen's bball in the first place...)

Double-double.
    [​IMG]

It seems like every time I call someone out this season, they step up and do something amazing... perhaps not the next game, but at least the next week. Abi had a double-double versus Army, with 16 points and 13 rebounds in just 18 minutes.

However, since I've already named Nyeshia player of the week, I was just pointing out that she had a fairly good game... and that she no longer goes by jersey No. 4, but rather, her dad's #34.

Also, rules are rules, and I cannot honor her further, because despite the fact that we won, and despite the fact that she had a double-double, we went to the lockerroom at half with a deficit, and there's gotta be a reason... Let's get straight to that, shall we?

Turnover queen: Abi (6), D-Ron (5)
    Foul happy: Abi (4)
    Throw free: Abi (6 of 10), Jasmine Hartman (0-2)

After a game when nobody had more than two turnovers, we have two players with at least five. We usually don't get to shoot many free throws so far, so when you get to the line, you better make the most of it. The only positive in the negative categories is that nobody fouled out... although Abi came close once again, despite only 18 minutes on the court.

So sorry, Abi, you had a fairly good game, but you have not earned the #34 yet. Nyeshia is still player of the week, scoring 17 last night, including 7 of OU's last 13 points. She totally needs a nickname. Anyone have any ideas?

We had all nine players on the court again last night, and nobody playing more D-Rob's 33. They must be incredibly exhausted.

Our 59-46 win over Army (29-23 deficit at the half... grrrrrrr) brings OU to 8-2 (10-2 with exhibition games) and four-game winning streak! We are still ranked #16.

I must call out one additional player... just to inspire: Amanda Thompson. You've been a great role player all of your career, and 10 rebounds is good and all, but I want to see you create more of your own shots like you used to do pre-injury. 3 points?! AT, that's how much one of Whitney's baskets are worth! You should have MORE than three points in an entire game! SCORE MORE! Get to the line more! Be the senior Tony Crocker is for the mens team!

12. badger

A note on CP3 -

As some of you may have heard, the WNBA's inability to dunk is causing people to not just tune in for the better fundamentals [/futurama]

As such, it isn't just teams like Detroit looking to move to new cities, but teams like Sacramento just calling it quits. They were the team that drafted Courtney last season and as such, she now has a new home in Chicago due to a dispersal draft. Tulsa got some player from LSU. Meh.

Link

The WNBA needs to band together to ensure its survival --- it's not about getting the best players at this point, but rather, about getting players the fans want... and since fans like the college game so well, why not work with teams to ensure that there's players with local ties, hmm? Screw you, Chicago. Give us our Courtney back.

13. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The WNBA needs to do one of two things:

1. Improve their product
    2. Raise the priority of their product in the minds of their current customers

They can restructure, reshuffle, reboot or rebuild all they want. Until they do one of those things their revenue and profitability will not increase. If the economy takes a jump soon they may see happier times, but they're going to die soon if they don't look out.

14. badger

I am really worried about this, because if programs like OU, Tennessee and UConn can draw 10,000-plus for conference games and operate in the black, then there are definitely markets out there for the right players to continue their athletic careers beyond college.

However, there might not be a place for them anymore in America if the WNBA folds... and it's not about sexism, because the NBA really has bent over backwards trying to help the league get started and survive with all of the tie-ins. It's about professional sports being a business, bottom line.

EDIT: Also, the women are now No. 15 in the AP poll. Woot

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  15. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

And the Pack wins again...

16. badger

I was on the roof getting Christmas lights up during the end of it while NP rushed into the house as Fox actually showed the very end down here... I was all like :les: HIT RECORD!!!!!! [hairGel] because I wasn't expecting to see any of the game... but yes, good win, but can't revel in it, cuz the Vikes won too and all we're up for now is a Wildcard against Dallas in Jerryworld :mad:

But, since this is a wimmen's bball thread, all of you should know that much like other sports, WBB is off this week for final exams and to give the athletes a bit of a break. They return to the court Dec. 20.

If you clicked this by accident, thinking you would find info about men's basketball, that's OK - they are also off until Dec. 19.

If you clicked this by accident, thinking you would find info about football, that is definitely not OK - this is a BASKETBALL forum! Every other forum here is for football, pretty much, cept this one! And besides, they're off till Dec. 31.

So, as you can see, all major sports are off right now. We wish you a Sooner Christmas!

17. King Barry's Back

King Barry's Back New Member

Badj,

Thanks for single handedly keeping this very important and, thanks to you, interesting thread alive.

Up through early Dec, I tend to spend all my time on the football board, but alas, I must turn my attentions to the roundball, and it's a pretty big challenge to follow American college women's basketball from Germany.

So, Badj, keep up the posts. I'll be following much more closely in the days to come, and not only for the cute coach pics.

And secondly, noting the number of serious injuries to our women's team, it seems clear that Schmiddy MUST be the trainer for both football and the gals' hoops squad. And I wonder if that is too much for him?

18. badger

It's womens basketball season... have YOU seen the team lately?
    [​IMG]

I don't think it's that people don't care enough about womens basketball to not post about it... we're just not on TV enough (a.k.a. at all)and we haven't really had a lot of home games thus far... the last time we played at home was Dec. 5, and unless I'm mistaken, we've had more away games this season (not including exhibition) than home games.

Such was the case Sunday, when the Sooners were - FOR THE SEVENTH TIME - on the road this season... oh, and they won't return home till Dec. 30, but my guess is that Sherri will once again host a Christmas party at her house as well as Christmas Carol singing at a local hospital or nursing home with the team. Since we only have nine players right now, perhaps another player can get a scholarship, hmmm? :D

Anyway, OU defeated Creighton (I always have to double check spelling on that one) 67-58 on Sunday... and once again, just like the men on Saturday, were trailing at the half.

Turnover queen: D Rob and Nyeshia (SEVEN each... wtf)
    CP3-throw memorial award: D Rob (2 for 4), Joanna McFarland (1 for 2)
    Foul happy: Amanda Thompson (5), Carlee and Abi (4 each)

Sherri must have pulled a lot of her hair out this game... or at least watched it turn gray.I am looking at those embarrassing stats above (do you like my new name for the free throw dishonor?) and not really seeing any true standout performances... D Rob had 22 points and 7 rebounds... but SEVEN turnovers?! Oh man...

But, I'm not gonna be too critical. As stated before, we only have nine players left... and as I mentioned, we've been on the road more this season than at home thus far... a LOT more. Like, four games at home and seven games on the road more! Daaaaaaaang.

So, take another holiday break and bounce back on Dec. 30, girls... and please, PLEASE don't get into foul trouble, get turnover prone or miss free throws. We haven't been getting to the line nearly enough this season.

19. Sooner04

Sooner04 New Member

That right there is why I can't watch the women anymore. The turnovers just slowly sucked the life right out of me. It was completely maddening.

I wish them all the success in the world, but I just can't do it anymore.

20. badger

It's also why Capel couldn't stand to watch Willie anymore on Saturday. ;)

Of course, D Rob and Nyeshia still beat Willie for the "Turnover Queen" title this week... but WW has "Drama Queen" all sewn up. :mad: