View Full Version : End of the BIG XII - THREAD FOR ALL REALIGNMENT DISCUSSION

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

AlboSooner
8/14/2011, 05:50 PM
TCU is respectable... maybe even the mormons and Air Force ?

TCU is respectable in the last three years. That's all. Patterson will get a great job somewhere and TCU is back to being Baylor.

Collier11
8/14/2011, 05:50 PM
And watch it degrade into a mid-major conference...

OU, tex, mizzou, tcu, osu, tech, that is 6 good programs

silverwheels
8/14/2011, 05:51 PM
OU, tex, mizzou, tcu, osu, tech, that is 6 good programs

That's 2 elite programs and 4 programs who come and go, depending on whomever is their coach.

I wish the Big 12 would stay together as is, but with all this drama and only mid-majors who would add very little, if any, value to the conference, I think that's just pissing in the wind.

JLEW1818
8/14/2011, 05:52 PM
TCU is respectable in the last three years. That's all. Patterson will get a great job somewhere and TCU is back to being Baylor.

tamu has been respectable in what? the last year?

Sooner_Havok
8/14/2011, 05:53 PM
thats why we are playing a tough out of conference schedule each year, and I dont know that losing A&M, Neb, and Colorado really affects us in the eyes of others. Neb has been relevant what, three times in 10 years. A&M hasnt even played for a conf title since they upset Kstate many moons ago

Look at it this way, Boise plays one, maybe two good teams a year and people here give them sh*t. Great, we play an elite UT and a FSU ever year. We also play an average OSU, along with a crap-tastic ISU, KU, KSU, Tech, BU.

A two loss SEC team beats us out. A one loss PAC or BIG beats us out. We become the Big East. Is that what we are gunning for? Becoming the Western big East? Heck, there is our new conference name, the Big West.

The sooner we leave this crumbling house of cards the better. No matter what, OU will find a good home, but I would rather act now and find a great home.

silverwheels
8/14/2011, 05:53 PM
A&M finished 8th in the Director's Cup Standings last year. We finished 10th.

AlboSooner
8/14/2011, 06:00 PM
tamu has been respectable in what? the last year?

never said tamu has been good. they are a better program than tcu, in every criteria possible.

JLEW1818
8/14/2011, 06:02 PM
A&M finished 8th in the Director's Cup Standings last year. We finished 10th.

so by those stats, aggies is more valuable than OU? no

Football is 80% of everything that matters in conferences.

name the last 5 director cup winners?

now now the last 5 Football winners?

JLEW1818
8/14/2011, 06:03 PM
Look at it this way, Boise plays one, maybe two good teams a year and people here give them sh*t. Great, we play an elite UT and a FSU ever year. We also play an average OSU, along with a crap-tastic ISU, KU, KSU, Tech, BU.

A two loss SEC team beats us out. A one loss PAC or BIG beats us out. We become the Big East. Is that what we are gunning for? Becoming the Western big East? Heck, there is our new conference name, the Big West.

The sooner we leave this crumbling house of cards the better. No matter what, OU will find a good home, but I would rather act now and find a great home.

but we are still OU

yes, we need to make sure our conference is respectable, i understand that.

as much as i love seeing the horns go down the drain... we need them to stay competitive in football :D

SoonerMom2
8/14/2011, 06:03 PM
Has Mack Brown not liking the Longhorn Network tipped their hand that they would be willing to give it up if they had to and would join us going west? I am just throwing it out there because I found his comments really strange against the intrusion of the Longhorn network = ESPN.

silverwheels
8/14/2011, 06:06 PM
so by those stats, aggies is more valuable than OU? no

Football is 80% of everything that matters in conferences.

name the last 5 director cup winners?

now now the last 5 Football winners?

By those stats? No. By the fact that they bring the Houston market (~6 million), a very solid overall athletics program (including football, which always has the potential to be good given they're in Texas), and a lot of fans and money? Perhaps. Yes, football is playing a big part in all of this shuffling, but it's not the only part.

Sooner_Havok
8/14/2011, 06:06 PM
But the question is, where will we go? The Big Ten is definitely not interested in expanding for the time being. Not sure if the Pac-12 wants the combination of OU, OSU, KU, and Mizzou. Boren has ruled out the SEC, even if they wanted us.

I have no clue where, but I can tell you this, Boren has spent almost the last 20 years of his life building up OU's academic prestige. He wants no part of the SEC, but he also knows he won't be president of OU much longer. If he doesn't get OU into a stable home before he retires, then there is the chance that those 20 years of work go down the drain. Hell, just listen to the drum beat around here for OU to join the SEC. You think anyone but Dave could stand up to that for long?

northspeter
8/14/2011, 06:07 PM
arky is not anywhere near big 12 expansion plans... byu, air force are the most likely candidates...

brainpimp
8/14/2011, 06:08 PM
Arky and ND are not coming, BYU I think will come.

BYU is not coming. They are very happy right where they are and their president said so on CNNSI.

JLEW1818
8/14/2011, 06:09 PM
somehow we need to **** texas

silverwheels
8/14/2011, 06:09 PM
Sorry, but that drum beat for the SEC is foolish. Would OU still be good in the SEC? Most likely, but it would be very difficult. And our rebuilding years would be a lot more painful when we don't have to play Baylor and Iowa State. Not to mention the rampant cheating going on down there. Our history is not exactly clean, but the SEC has taken cheating to a new level, an art form.

And Boren can say all he wants about academics, but we'd be mid-table in the SEC in that regard, too.

But we probably would make a hell of a lot of money.

JLEW1818
8/14/2011, 06:11 PM
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State

is that really that much worse than the ACC? even with those 8 teams. is it that much worse?

silverwheels
8/14/2011, 06:16 PM
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State

is that really that much worse than the ACC? even with those 8 teams. is it that much worse?

Well, you can usually count on OU and Texas being great. Texas Tech and Oklahoma State have become pretty solid programs, but they both still have spotty histories. The other four have their moments, but not very often. So when you average it out, it's about on par. The Big 12 should be one of the top 3 conferences, not duking it out with the ACC for #5, though.

SoonerofAlabama
8/14/2011, 06:16 PM

Just sayin here. :)

Big West already exists. Current members:

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Cal State Fullerton
Cal State Northridge
Long Beach State
University of the Pacific
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UC Santa Barbara

Tear Down This Wall
8/14/2011, 06:18 PM
A&M would be Arkansas 2.0, maybe slightly better.

Not really. Arkansas isn't in Texas, A&M is. Therefore, A&M recruiting wouldn't be hurt the way the Razorbacks' was. Plus, Arkansas had ding dong Jack Crowe as its coach when they joined the SEC. His two seasons and one game there hurt the Razorbacks.

They then went to Danny Ford of Clemson fame, and couldn't bail themselves out.

Kind of like us after Barry, A&M made some bad hires before finding a guy to lead them back to prominence.

A&M is doing well in football under Sherman. Hey, they beat us last year, and look to be our main competition for the Big 12 title.

Living down here in Dallas, I can report that the Longhorn fans are far more insufferable than Aggies. Yes, the Aggies have silly traditions. But, at the end of the day, give me the Aggies over the Longhorns 100 times out of 100. Also, give me Texas Aggie over Oklahoma Aggie 100 times out of 100.

And, as someone else noted above, I wish it were us going to the SEC with them. They will go, and we'll be stuck with a lame school to replace them. I just cringe at the thought of Houston.

Could there be a school with less football tradition and support than Houston? Hell, if we're going to take a shot in the dark, pick up North Texas. It's a lot closer to Houston, they have a new stadium, and they now have a coaching staff that is basically full of old Big 12 coaches anyway. At least they'd be familiar with the league (And...yes, I know Kevin Sumlin is the coach at Houston, I just don't care. The Cougars still would be an overall embarassment).

silverwheels
8/14/2011, 06:21 PM
A&M would not lose their Texas recruiting ties, obviously, but they would also be inviting the whole conference to come and recruit in their backyard, and many SEC teams have been more successful of late than A&M.

So "slightly better" may be underestimating them, but they still wouldn't win the SEC any more than the won the Big 12.

bluedogok
8/14/2011, 06:34 PM
TCU has been more than respectable since Fran was there before he left for Bama, they have been real good the past few years. They are the only ex-SWC team that I would consider adding. I also think Patterson likes it at TCU and has seen what a mess that coaches from the "mid-major" programs going to major programs can sometimes face. Some coaches are suited for the majors and all the headaches that can come with it and some are better at an "underdog" type of school. I think that happened to Franchione, his makeup is better to build a program than to feed the monster, I think Patterson an Chris Peterson are kind of both from this mold. Both have had opportunities to go elsewhere to bigger programs and have turned them down.

bluedogok
8/14/2011, 06:38 PM
Living down here in Dallas, I can report that the Longhorn fans are far more insufferable than Aggies. Yes, the Aggies have silly traditions. But, at the end of the day, give me the Aggies over the Longhorns 100 times out of 100. Also, give me Texas Aggie over Oklahoma Aggie 100 times out of 100.
I have found that the fans of those schools in Dallas are much worse than the ones here in Austin, especially Whorn fans. It seems the further they get away from Austin the worse they get. I get very little grief here, nothing close to what I faced when I lived in Dallas 20 years ago.

northspeter
8/14/2011, 06:39 PM
according to chip brown's(orangebloods.com) sources at a&m... they will be accepted as a member of the SEC within 21 days...

Tear Down This Wall
8/14/2011, 06:50 PM
A&M would not lose their Texas recruiting ties, obviously, but they would also be inviting the whole conference to come and recruit in their backyard, and many SEC teams have been more successful of late than A&M.

So "slightly better" may be underestimating them, but they still wouldn't win the SEC any more than the won the Big 12.

That's not really the point to them. The point is getting out from under the ridiculousness of Texas and into a conference that isn't run by DeLoss Dodds. We should be doing the same. I just don't think we have the balls.

After all of the shifting and talk of conference expansion, I don't think we'll ever have the nuts to leave Oklahoma State in the dust as we should, or tell Texas goodbye as conference mates, as we should.

In short, A&M, surprisingly, is really committed to doing better for itself. Meanwhile, we seem to be content adding in Houston, BYU, or Air Force. Boring. If we're going this vanilla and uninteresting, throw in Tulsa, North Texas, or any other suck a*s school you can think of. Throw in Ball State, they're already on this year's schedule.

I'd rather we bite the bullet and beg the Pac-12 to open a spot for us again than to continue to prop us a conference run by DeLoss Dodds and Texas. It's going to be our only other option since we will not leave little sister Oklahoma State.

We could be in the best football conference in America if we'd just go ask. We're just too stupid to do it. Kudos to A&M for having the balls to get into a better situation.

Disgusting.

Sabanball
8/14/2011, 06:55 PM
SEC presidents met today in a highly unusual sunday meeting and afterward issued a joint statement saying no action to be taken right now in expansion, including TAMU.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?created&&note_id=243663039001576&id=118092611546917

Seems to be a legal issue. Looks like A&M must leave B12 first before SEC invites. If not, could be possibly sued for tortious interference(encouraging someone to break an existing contract, basically). I think this is the SEC limiting their liabilities and giving TAMU a chance to get their house in order.

I still say TAMU to the SEC in inevitable, and that timing is the only remaining issue.

northspeter
8/14/2011, 06:59 PM
according to sportsbybrooks... ou is the linchpin for SEC expansion... if we go, then ok state, a&m and possibly va tech will follow...

Sabanball
8/14/2011, 07:05 PM
according to sportsbybrooks... ou is the linchpin for SEC expansion... if we go, then ok state, a&m and possibly va tech will follow...

Funny, I read Brooks Melchoir's blog all the time and never recall reading that on there. Have a link?

silverwheels
8/14/2011, 07:13 PM
That's not really the point to them. The point is getting out from under the ridiculousness of Texas and into a conference that isn't run by DeLoss Dodds. We should be doing the same. I just don't think we have the balls.

After all of the shifting and talk of conference expansion, I don't think we'll ever have the nuts to leave Oklahoma State in the dust as we should, or tell Texas goodbye as conference mates, as we should.

In short, A&M, surprisingly, is really committed to doing better for itself. Meanwhile, we seem to be content adding in Houston, BYU, or Air Force. Boring. If we're going this vanilla and uninteresting, throw in Tulsa, North Texas, or any other suck a*s school you can think of. Throw in Ball State, they're already on this year's schedule.

I'd rather we bite the bullet and beg the Pac-12 to open a spot for us again than to continue to prop us a conference run by DeLoss Dodds and Texas. It's going to be our only other option since we will not leave little sister Oklahoma State.

We could be in the best football conference in America if we'd just go ask. We're just too stupid to do it. Kudos to A&M for having the balls to get into a better situation.

Disgusting.

Of course it's not the point to them. They realized that they will always be UT's bitch, and the only way for them to possibly end that is to leave the Horns and sever ties with them by going to another conference. Will they benefit from it? Definitely from a money standpoint. Maybe from an on-the-field standpoint. But money and leaving big bad UT are more important.

And why would we say goodbye to OSU and Texas? They're our two main rivals. People can say that we can go to another conference (where? Boren doesn't like the SEC and as far as I know, we don't have any other interest right now) and still schedule OSU and Texas, but that's easier said than done. Staying with them keeps us from having to travel all the way across the country every game just to play someone.

northspeter
8/14/2011, 07:13 PM
Funny, I read Brooks Melchoir's blog all the time and never recall reading that on there. Have a link?

just tweeted it... said ou is a mover and a shaker, not a&m, if ou moves, others will follow...

silverwheels
8/14/2011, 07:16 PM
If OU does have an offer (namely from the Pac-12), then they should take it and force UT's hand. But I'm not sure that offer is there.

OK2LA
8/14/2011, 07:19 PM

Disgusting.

Being in "The Best" football conference is not all gravy.

The University of Oklahoma is not going to get 'left out' of any major talks. If the SEC & PAC 12 are talking about expansion to 16 - we would likely be in the conversation with both.

My point is - There is the down side of being in a super conference, and being a singular part of the best superconference could have it's drawbacks as well. You have to recognize that conference schedule as being a little stronger than ours top to bottom.

delhalew
8/14/2011, 07:25 PM
why would you want it to? You all who want the Big 12 to disband confuse me...you realize how much power and money we have right now, you realize how much easier it is for us to win the conf and play for a natl title as is compared to going to the Pac 10 or SEC. Be careful what you wish for

The drama, man. It's getting old. We are surrounded by two year olds.

Sabanball
8/14/2011, 07:28 PM
just tweeted it... said ou is a mover and a shaker, not a&m, if ou moves, others will follow...

I don't doubt for one minute that Mike Slive wanted OU ahead of TAMU last year this time, but with your administration led by David Boren making it clear that they don't think too highly of the SEC and basically what amounts to trash-talking it in private, I'm not sure Brooks has it right this time. His theory just doesn't hold water when you put it up against what's been going on as of late. Just doesn't make sense.

delhalew
8/14/2011, 07:29 PM
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State

Honestly, I would be ok with holding that version of a Big8. When super conferences happen, we could cobble together an 8 team division to make 16.

Unless the spoiled brats drop the bull****, I want out.

northspeter
8/14/2011, 07:30 PM
I don't doubt for one minute that Mike Slive wanted OU ahead of TAMU last year this time, but with your administration led by David Boren making it clear that they don't think too highly of the SEC and basically what amounts to trash-talking it in private, I'm not sure Brooks has it right this time. His theory just doesn't hold water when you put it up against what's been going on as of late. Just doesn't make sense.

i agree...

Tear Down This Wall
8/14/2011, 07:40 PM
Being in "The Best" football conference is not all gravy.

You have to recognize that conference schedule as being a little stronger than ours top to bottom.

That's why we WANT to be there!

The strength of schedule in the SEC is so strong that LSU got into the BCS national title game with two losses in 2007!

Why is everyone afraid of the SEC football schedule? Is that what we are - cowards? We seek as little competition as possible? We're happy A&M is leaving now that their program is headed in the right directions again because if they leave, that's less competition?

Sorry. Stick me in the half of the fans who would drop Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Missouri in a heartbeat to gain an annual schedule that would include LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Alabama, and Auburn...and mixes in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina.

It's a slam dunk. Stoops versus Spurrier! Yes, give me that over Stoops versus Art Briles every f'ing day of the week! It's a no brainer. Every week would be a nationally interesting game.

We've lost Nebraska. Once A&M leaves, the only annual game with national interest is Texas. How exactly is that going to help us in the stupid strength of schedule game?

This is a weak a*s conference. Adding BYU, Houston, or Air Force ain't gonna make it any stronger.

Ditch Texas now and get with the best football conference in America because of the increased competition!

Soonerpsycho
8/14/2011, 07:43 PM
Not mine:

http://oi55.tinypic.com/a3ggpj.jpg

silverwheels
8/14/2011, 07:44 PM
Boren has already said no to the SEC for "academic" reasons.

FtwTxSooner
8/14/2011, 07:48 PM
I don't recall NU "leaving the Big 12" before joining the Big 10. The Big 10 made some noise about wanting to expand. NU said they were interested. The Big 10 voted to invite NU. NU accepted.

It makes no sense to formally leave a conference before joining a new one, as you never know if you'd be picked up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276551

trwxxa
8/14/2011, 08:01 PM
That's because Texas and Beebe didn't care if Nebraska left or not.

There is more skin in this game now and all of a sudden, Texas and Beebe are worried. The SEC is just covering their bases.

BoomerJ
8/14/2011, 08:12 PM
There it is.

sperry
8/14/2011, 08:18 PM
Boren has already said no to the SEC for "academic" reasons.

The Big XII isn't any better than the SEC academically.

soonervegas
8/14/2011, 08:18 PM
These 8-9 team conferences we are all setting up with Big 12 leftovers will lead to us getting beat 52-10 the next time we were to meet up with the SEC in a championship game.

silverwheels
8/14/2011, 08:29 PM

I know. I think that's a cover for some combination of the fear of stronger competition and the SEC's reputation of being a dirty conference.

GKeeper316
8/14/2011, 08:46 PM
I know. I think that's a cover for some combination of the fear of stronger competition and the SEC's reputation of being a dirty conference.

see brandon spikes, who is a punk-*** bitch.

Emil
8/14/2011, 08:59 PM
* Oklahoma leads the nation in 10+ win seasons with 32 and has the most 11+ win seasons (20) of any program.
* Oklahoma has been ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll (97 weeks)and No. 1 in the Top 5 (371 weeks) more than any team.
* In the "modern era", which is post-World War II, Oklahoma has the most wins with 567, and the highest winning percentage (.763) in the country (through 2011 Fiesta Bowl).
* Oklahoma has the most wins and best winning percentage in college football over the last 75 years (1935-current).
* Oklahoma is the only school to have played in all five BCS bowl games (Fiesta, Orange, Rose, Sugar and BCS Championship).
* Oklahoma is the only school to have four coaches with at least 100 wins each (Stoops, Switzer, Wilkinson, Owen).
* Oklahoma has had at least one first team all-conference player in 95 of the 96 seasons it has played in a conference.
* Most modern era NCAA-recognized titles with 16.
* Oklahoma holds the NCAA record for most consecutive victories with 47-straight (1953-1957).
* Oklahoma holds the NCAA record for most consecutive games without a defeat (48).
* Oklahoma has scored more points than any team in college football history with 31,436 (through the 2011 Fiesta Bowl).
* No program has more unanimous All-Americans than Oklahoma. OU and Notre Dame have 31 all-time.
* ESPN ranked Oklahoma as the most prestigious college football program overall since the advent of the AP Poll in 1936.
* Oklahoma had an NCAA-record 768 rushing yards in 1988 against Kansas State.
* Most weeks ranked No. 1 in the BCS with 20 weeks (through 2010 season).
* Most weeks ranked in top 5 in the BCS with 46 (through 2010 season).
* Oklahoma has the most rushing yards in a season with 5,635 in 1971, which was 470 yards per game (12 games)
* Oklahoma holds the NCAA record for the most points scored in a single season with 702 points through 12 games in the 2008 season (58.5 points per game).
* Oklahoma holds the record for scoring 60 or more points for five consecutive games[48]
* Oklahoma holds the record for most lopsided instate rivalry with a record of 82-16-7 (as of the end of the 2010 regular season) over Big 12 Conference opponent Oklahoma State. In fact the rivalry is so lopsided that Oklahoma has shut out Oklahoma State more times (28 - not including 0-0 ties) than Oklahoma State has won against Oklahoma with the Sooners winning the last 8 games in a row.
* In the 2010 NFL Draft, Oklahoma became the only school in the history of the NFL Draft to have three players selected in the first four picks of the draft.[49]

silverwheels
8/14/2011, 09:00 PM
see brandon spikes, who is a punk-*** bitch.

I was talking about how they're re-writing the books on cheating down there, but there is that, too. Again, I know our history is not totally clean, but the SEC just makes me sick to my stomach. It's so...slimy.

Veritas
8/14/2011, 09:13 PM
Nebraska is not a member of AAU.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities#Membership

This is from a few pages back, but the reason Nebraska lost their AAU status is for technical, not academic reasons. We do a ton of agricultural research that the AAU doesn't take into consideration. Furthermore we have a huge medical research facility, but it's up in Omaha, not part of the Lincoln Campus, so for whatever reason the AAU doesn't count it.

The AAU is kinda bull****, and I'm betting that 95% of us, myself included, had never heard of it until this summer when the media used it to bag on Nebraska.

S008NER
8/14/2011, 09:15 PM

I guess I am the minority here but I would welcome a move to the SEC with A&M. Great matchups every week with tradition rich programs in a stable conference with a huge tv contract to go with it. If you can survive the brutal schedule and get to the MNC, the chances of winning it all are almost a lock.

JohnnyMack
8/14/2011, 09:34 PM
This is from a few pages back, but the reason Nebraska lost their AAU status is for technical, not academic reasons. We do a ton of agricultural research that the AAU doesn't take into consideration. Furthermore we have a huge medical research facility, but it's up in Omaha, not part of the Lincoln Campus, so for whatever reason the AAU doesn't count it.

The AAU is kinda bull****, and I'm betting that 95% of us, myself included, had never heard of it until this summer when the media used it to bag on Nebraska.

You left out sheep-raping knuckle draggers who collectively **** themselves at the mere sight of Barry Switzer.

Damn I'm gonna miss you guys!!!!

silverwheels
8/14/2011, 09:39 PM
I guess I am the minority here but I would welcome a move to the SEC with A&M. Great matchups every week with tradition rich programs in a stable conference with a huge tv contract to go with it. If you can survive the brutal schedule and get to the MNC, the chances of winning it all are almost a lock.

Our boosters would have to start handing out more cash, though.

westbrooke
8/14/2011, 09:42 PM

Yes, it is, though the difference is vanishing with each defection from the conference. But then again, that's not really the point. The point is that Boren has no intention of moving OU to a conference with a reputation for being weak academically when he could move us to one with much more to offer. The Big 10 won't take us because of the AAU issue (see previous discussion in this thread), but the Pac 12 is a marked improvement over the Big 12 and SEC and they've shown that they're interested in us. I'd be shocked if we left the Big 12 for anywhere else.

Veritas
8/14/2011, 09:44 PM
You left out sheep-raping knuckle draggers who collectively **** themselves at the mere sight of Barry Switzer.
This description is too vague. Are you referring to A&M, UT or OSU?

S008NER
8/14/2011, 09:45 PM
Our boosters would have to start handing out more cash, though.

as we have seen this summer, that is not exclusive to the sec.

silverwheels
8/14/2011, 09:48 PM
as we have seen this summer, that is not exclusive to the sec.

True, but they do it the best.

OK2LA
8/15/2011, 12:47 AM
That's why we WANT to be there!

The strength of schedule in the SEC is so strong that LSU got into the BCS national title game with two losses in 2007!

Why is everyone afraid of the SEC football schedule? Is that what we are - cowards? We seek as little competition as possible? We're happy A&M is leaving now that their program is headed in the right directions again because if they leave, that's less competition?

Sorry. Stick me in the half of the fans who would drop Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Missouri in a heartbeat to gain an annual schedule that would include LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Alabama, and Auburn...and mixes in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina.

It's a slam dunk. Stoops versus Spurrier! Yes, give me that over Stoops versus Art Briles every f'ing day of the week! It's a no brainer. Every week would be a nationally interesting game.

We've lost Nebraska. Once A&M leaves, the only annual game with national interest is Texas. How exactly is that going to help us in the stupid strength of schedule game?

This is a weak a*s conference. Adding BYU, Houston, or Air Force ain't gonna make it any stronger.

Ditch Texas now and get with the best football conference in America because of the increased competition!

I agree with most of what you stated, and I'm not afraid of the SEC, their schedule, or for that matter - anything to do with A & M leaving. (not happy about that.) I'd love to get revenge on LSU / Florida. I love the match-ups that it presents. If there are 16 team superconferences, everything changes. EVERYTHING. You wouldn't have any of the big boys going undefeated, and most likely - it all would lead to a playoff. I'm sure that many on here are very happy to hear that, but again - what I was trying to say before is - be careful what you wish for.

I for one think it is coming, and I think that we dodged a major bullet, but not for long. A & M embarassed themselves, and they will look for every opportunity to leave now. You can bet that the SEC was holding out for the likes of OU or TX and didn't want to settle with just A & M - as I'm sure it was noted in many of the other pages - adding A & M just poses more problems for the SEC. They needed to ADD at least 1 more team, and likely 3 more.

StoopTroup
8/15/2011, 01:17 AM
The more complicated any scenario is that has OU jumping to another Conference is...the less chance I give it of happening. Even Nebraska and Colorado had to work out their own exits. Two teams together in a mix won't stand as big a chance of working as say OU taking the reigns right now and say instead of offering a two team deal that included OU and TAMU or OU and oSu.

IMO the best things to do is if TAMU is really trying to leave the Big XII for the SEC....Boren, Castiglione and Stoops need to approach the SEC and let them know that OU really is the better fit for the SEC than TAMU and remind them of the Recruiting hotbed we continue to rule over and make National Championship Contenders out of each and every year and that a Stoops vs any SEC Coach and their Team would be a bigger draw that a all boys team with a Collie for a mascot and an imaginary Fan that helps them win football games.

The three letters of O, S and U should only be brought up by the SEC should they want to include any thoughts on whether or not we'd like to see our instate rival included in a deal. Then they could approach Boone to see what it's worth to him. :D

lexred
8/15/2011, 06:42 AM
If the so called BIG 12 is to try to survive, it need to add at least two more schools. Who, I really don't know. Perhaps BYU, Air Force, TCU ( yes, I know they don't increase the TV market). The Texas Aggie weekly: gee what can I do to look stupid act failed this time but probably will come up again. Lock down 12 schools, and get the best TV deal possible if you hope to remain vaible.JMHO

Sooner95
8/15/2011, 06:47 AM
According to ESPN reports this morning, this is a DEAD deal..for now.

OUinFLA
8/15/2011, 06:58 AM
According to ESPN reports this morning, this is a DEAD deal..for now.

Translation: "It's a certainty".

mgsooner
8/15/2011, 07:18 AM
ESPN has been comically biased toward Texas and keeping the Big 12 together during this whole thing.

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 07:21 AM
Yeah, they have a lot at stake here and benefit from A&M staying in the Big 12. It's irresponsible journalism but I wouldn't expect anything else from the "Worldwide Leader in Sports".

mgsooner
8/15/2011, 07:24 AM
They obviously distributed "talking points" to their talking head lackeys over the weekend and the full court press was on. I can't count know how many times I heard/read the word "ego" and the phrase "running away".

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 07:28 AM
As much as I love to hate on the Aggies, what ESPN is doing is disgusting. Then again, I can't be surprised. This is the same network that still employs Craig James after that whole saga. That was utter bull****.

delhalew
8/15/2011, 07:31 AM
I would hope that everyone sees ESPN for what they are. They have shown their *** to many times.

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 07:37 AM
Like this article, for example (http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/6862025/texas-put-ego-envy-aside-moving-on)

Seriously, ESPN? It's one thing for fans of Texas or any other school to be saying these things, but for someone employed by ESPN, whose contract with the Big 12 is void if conference membership drops below 10 and has a network deal with Texas, to be writing this is a joke.

ESPN is the Fox News of the media world, and that's not a compliment.

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2011, 07:38 AM
Like this article, for example (http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/6862025/texas-put-ego-envy-aside-moving-on)

Seriously, ESPN? It's one thing for fans of Texas or any other school to be saying these things, but for someone employed by ESPN, whose contract with the Big 12 is void if conference membership drops below 10 and has a network deal with Texas, to be writing this is a joke.

ESPN is the Fox News of the media world, and that's not a compliment.

John Jacques Taylor writes for the Dallas Morning News - not ESPN

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 07:40 AM

ESPNDallas.com now.

Sooner in Tampa
8/15/2011, 07:41 AM
Jean-Jacques Taylor is a columnist for ESPNDallas.com.

mgsooner
8/15/2011, 07:42 AM
Forgive me if already posted, but this is perhaps the best article I have seen about the developments of the past couple of days.

SEC didn't close door on Texas A&M, it's letting process play out

The problem with the speed at which information travels in this era is that everything has to mean something immediately. In the Twitter age, we must be able to consume information, process it and explain what it means in the grand scheme of things within seconds. In the world of Internet journalism, it also helps if we can just as quickly declare each event to be either the best or worst thing that has ever happened.

Unfortunately, the world doesn't always hand us news in byte-sized chunks. Sometimes, an issue requires more time to resolve itself than our social media-addled attention spans are willing to give. Case in point: Sunday's press release from Florida president Bernie Machen on behalf of the SEC. Here is what it said.

"The SEC Presidents and Chancellors met today and reaffirmed our satisfaction with the present 12 institutional alignment. We recognize, however, that future conditions may make it advantageous to expand the number of institutions in the league. We discussed criteria and process associated with expansion. No action was taken with respect to any institution including Texas A&M."

Within seconds, Texas A&M's quest to leave the Big 12 and join the SEC was declared dead. Texas fans cranked up the "little brother" jokes, and the Aggies became the laughingstock of the sporting world. Someone even hacked the Twitter account -- it must have been a hacker, right? -- of colleague Stewart Mandel to proclaim to the world that the SEC had "PASSED" on Texas A&M.

Except that's not what the release said. The language was pure legalese meant to slow a boulder rolling downhill. Here's a more accurate translation.

If we can make more money from our TV contracts, we're probably going to expand. But no one has applied for membership yet. So we didn't vote today. If we had voted to extend an offer to a school that hadn't applied for membership, we might have left ourselves exposed to a big, fat lawsuit. So don't sue us, Big 12. If someone, perhaps a land-grant institution based in College Station, Texas, happens to authorize its president to seek new conference membership -- maybe at a special Board of Regents meeting Monday afternoon -- and that president happens to ask us to consider his school for membership, than we might strongly consider that school.

This is a process. The Texas A&M Board of Regents is still scheduled to meet Monday. The item that would authorize R. Bowen Loftin to negotiate athletic conference membership remains on the agenda. Other issues also require resolution. The higher education committee of the Texas House of Representatives still plans to question Loftin in Austin on Tuesday afternoon about a possible move. In a statement released Sunday, Loftin said everything will move forward as planned.

"As we have seen over the past several days, there has been a considerable amount of misinformation regarding these discussions and any associated timelines," Loftin said in the statement. "The chairman of our board has indicated that the regents will proceed with tomorrow's agenda item, which authorizes the president of Texas A&M to take all actions related to athletic conference alignment. I will also accept Chairman [Dan] Branch's invitation to participate in his committee's hearing on Tuesday. These are extremely complex issues, and it is imperative that we proceed methodically and in the best interests of Texas A&M."

Contrary to popular belief, the politicians didn't set this meeting to block a move. When I relayed a quote from Texas Rep. Dan Branch (R-Dallas) on Twitter on Saturday, a lot of Texas A&M fans wrote to remind me that Branch had previously praised Texas' Longhorn Network -- the entity that started the realignment wheel moving again in the first place -- as an innovative way to open a revenue stream without costing the state's taxpayers a penny. Guess what? If Texas A&M goes to the SEC for more money, Branch will praise the Aggies, too. He knows he serves in a fiscally conservative state. He knows he wouldn't win votes by blocking a school for looking out for its own best interests and bringing in more money that might potentially relieve some of the burden on the taxpayers. Plus, if the Big 12 can hang together without Texas A&M -- and it appears it can -- then the state might get another bonus if Houston or SMU gets an invitation to college football's grown-up table.

If people would take off the school-colored glasses for a moment, they would understand this is all about a school looking after its own best interests. Last year, Texas looked out for No. 1 by flirting with the Pac-10 and then returning to the Big 12 when the Big 12 schools agreed to a system that would allow the creation of The Longhorn Network. This year, Texas A&M is looking out for No. 1. That's the American way.

Texas and Texas A&M people want badly for everyone to believe the other school is the villain, but there is no villain here. Be soothed by the smooth strains of Dave Mason, who once crooned these wise words: "So let's leave it alone/'Cause we can't see eye-to-eye/There ain't no good guy/There ain't no bad guy/There's only you and me, and we just disagree"

Also, this is not about on-field results. Texas A&M is not looking to move because officials think that by being in the SEC, the football team will immediately begin winning national titles. The Aggies want to move because they are tired of being pushed around off the field by the Longhorns. They fear The Longhorn Network's impact. Also, they can make more money in the SEC. Think about it this way. If you had a boss or co-worker -- in this case, Texas is officially a co-worker and unofficially the boss -- who made you miserable, wouldn't you jump immediately if you could take an identical job at a different company for more money? Of course you would. Anyone who answers otherwise is a liar.

There is more money for Texas A&M in the SEC. In fact, Texas A&M probably is more valuable to the SEC than it is to the Big 12. Remember, the SEC signed media rights deals in 2009 with CBS and ESPN worth $3 billion over 15 years. While that sounded like a great deal at the time, the market has changed because of several new bidders and an even greater premium placed on live sports telecast rights. Earlier this year, the Pac-12 signed a deal with Fox worth a reported $3 billion over 12 years. The SEC should be a more valuable television property than the Pac-12, so imagine how much the league could make if it were to renegotiate its contracts now. Now, imagine how much those deals would be worth if the population of the SEC's geographic footprint suddenly increased by 42 percent. That's how many potential viewers the SEC would add by including a major Texas team. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the current nine-state SEC footprint contains 58.6 million people. The state of Texas contains 24.8 million people. The current SEC footprint has one top-10 TV market (Atlanta). The state of Texas has two (Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston).

A change in membership would allow the SEC to renegotiate, commissioner Mike Slive said when asked about the topic in June 2010. "Most of our contracts have confidentiality clauses, so I'll answer this somewhat indirectly," Slive said. "It is not unusual in these kinds of contracts for there to be a provision that if the composition of the league changes, there's an opportunity to sit down and talk about that with our television partner."

That could be a very expensive conversation for CBS and ESPN and a very lucrative one for the SEC and Texas A&M. But it's not a conversation anyone can have right now.

Steps must be followed. Regents must vote to empower a school president. Politicians must be acknowledged. Admission must be sought. SEC presidents must vote. Nine of the 12 must actually want to accept the new member. All the while, attorneys must be consulted. Only after all that can Texas A&M join the SEC.

Marc Isenberg, an author who follows the business of college sports, tweeted it best Sunday afternoon. "Another day in college sports," Isenberg wrote, "another victory for billable hours."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/08/14/texas.am.sec/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=hp_bn10

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2011, 07:42 AM
ESPNDallas.com now.

and i'm telling you that article FIRST appeared in the Dallas Morning news

thats his "main job" the DMN

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 07:44 AM
It's not his only job and it doesn't change the fact that he published it on ESPN.

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2011, 07:47 AM
lord you are hard headed

espndallas is a compilation of stuff written by the dallas media

that article was written for the Dallas Morning News

seeing it on espndallas is akin to an AP article - i get that you're all anti-espn and i'm fine with that - but using a JJT article from the DMN to support your rage is misplaced

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2011, 07:49 AM
i dont know if i posted this or not - i cant remember what i had for breakfast yesterday

but 4 years ago, Dodds drove to College Station and offered the aggies to go in 50/50 on the tv network deal - an idea in its infancy - the aggies said no thanks

seems even more stupid now

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 07:51 AM
lord you are hard headed

espndallas is a compilation of stuff written by the dallas media

that article was written for the Dallas Morning News

seeing it on espndallas is akin to an AP article - i get that you're all anti-espn and i'm fine with that - but using a JJT article from the DMN to support your rage is misplaced

It's more disgust than rage, but you're missing the point. ESPN still chooses to publish stuff by the Dallas media, including pieces about their own interests that they have to protect. It's still irresponsible of them, even if it showed up somewhere else first.

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 07:55 AM
i dont know if i posted this or not - i cant remember what i had for breakfast yesterday

but 4 years ago, Dodds drove to College Station and offered the aggies to go in 50/50 on the tv network deal - an idea in its infancy - the aggies said no thanks

seems even more stupid now

Stupid is the Aggie way. They will let their hatred of UT get in the way of their own success.

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2011, 07:58 AM
It's more disgust than rage, but you're missing the point. ESPN still chooses to publish stuff by the Dallas media, including pieces about their own interests that they have to protect. It's still irresponsible of them, even if it showed up somewhere else first.

frankly i havent seen any writer publish an opinion that wasnt critical of this move

if you've seen/read an article that thinks a&m is making a smart move - i'd love to see it

mgsooner
8/15/2011, 08:02 AM
frankly i havent seen any writer publish an opinion that wasnt critical of this move

if you've seen/read an article that thinks a&m is making a smart move - i'd love to see it

(see above)

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 08:05 AM
Financially, it's a very smart move for A&M. Will their team suffer from getting footballs shoved up their asses every week? Yes, but those extra millions from the bigger TV contract buy a lot of Preparation H.

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2011, 08:06 AM
The Aggies want to move because they are tired of being pushed around off the field by the Longhorns. They fear The Longhorn Network's impact.

sounds like a solid reason to leave.....:rolleyes:

mgsooner
8/15/2011, 08:08 AM
sounds like a solid reason to leave.....:rolleyes:

I take it that's the only part of the article you read?

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2011, 08:08 AM
I take it that's the only part of the article you read?

you take it incorrectly

mgsooner
8/15/2011, 08:10 AM
you take it incorrectly

Could've fooled me.

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2011, 08:11 AM
Could've fooled me.

i read the article yesterday

dont assume so much

i drew out the part that i thought was pertinent

yes, they'll get more money......i'm sure the fan base will be soothed by that as they're wading in mediocrity year after year in the SEC

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 08:12 AM
The fan base doesn't make the decisions. A good number of Arkansas fans lament joining the SEC, where they are little more than an afterthought, but their athletic department loves all that money.

mgsooner
8/15/2011, 08:14 AM
i read the article yesterday

dont assume so much

i drew out the part that i thought was pertinent

yes, they'll get more money......i'm sure the fan base will be soothed by that as they're wading in mediocrity year after year in the SEC

As opposed to wading in mediocrity and making less money, as they do now?

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 08:14 AM
Wading in mediocrity for pretty much their entire history...

bluedogok
8/15/2011, 08:26 AM
Yeah, they have a lot at stake here and benefit from A&M staying in the Big 12. It's irresponsible journalism but I wouldn't expect anything else from the "Worldwide Leader in Sports".
ESPN gave up their "journalism" credibility when Mickey Mouse bought them, after that the "E" in their name became priority number one.

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2011, 08:43 AM
Wading in mediocrity for pretty much their entire history...

they've had some success in the old SWC - and like i've said a few times before, i think to be a great football program - you need a solid rivalry with a quality team

i doubt texas gives them the time of day if they leave - now who is their new rival?

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2011, 08:44 AM
espn posted an opinion article - big deal - thats what half of sports articles are about

its one mans opinion - espn is in the business of generating interest (i.e. discussion) about what they publish

good job folks! :)

OULenexaman
8/15/2011, 08:45 AM
kinda looks like the monday morning knucklehead thread here....carry on.

bluedogok
8/15/2011, 09:00 AM
they've had some success in the old SWC - and like i've said a few times before, i think to be a great football program - you need a solid rivalry with a quality team

i doubt texas gives them the time of day if they leave - now who is their new rival?
During the secession talk last year by A&M Dodds said that if A&M went to the SEC that Texas would never play them again in any sport. Immaturity isn't the exclusive domain of A&M. I am sure he has or will modify that view after discussions with legislators.

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2011, 09:02 AM
During the secession talk last year by A&M Dodds said that if A&M went to the SEC that Texas would never play them again in any sport. Immaturity isn't the exclusive domain of A&M. I am sure he has or will modify that view after discussions with legislators.

i get that, but i'm not sure why Texas would have any motivation to stick a non-conference game in the end of their season after it was A&m that walked away?

bluedogok
8/15/2011, 09:15 AM
i get that, but i'm not sure why Texas would have any motivation to stick a non-conference game in the end of their season after it was A&m that walked away?
I agree, but I doubt that many of the legislators who would push for them to continue their series would....and down here the legislature typically gets what they want. There have been some say that they would try to force them to continue the series.

Remember why Baylor and Tech is in the Big 12? It was because of alumni like Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock (Tech undergrad and Baylor law grad) and their alumni in the legislature holding UT and A&M hostage and making them take Tech and Baylor along for approval. Right now A&M is doing this between sessions, that is smart on their part but by the time that the 2012 schedule would come out they could exact their will in forcing a UT-A&M game to maintain state funding to the schools. So again, it all comes down to money. I do think that if the legislature were to "force" them into playing that it would definitely make it an interesting series and the hard feelings between them might get nasty. I am a bit surprised that A&M didn't lobby legislators to stop the LHN but then they might have already decided that they could use the network as "just cause" to leave the Big 12.

sooneron
8/15/2011, 09:15 AM
ESPN gave up their "journalism" credibility when Mickey Mouse bought them, after that the "E" in their name became priority number one.

^This

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2011, 09:18 AM
ok, i stand corrected - JJT left the DMN on August 1st and is a writer for ESPN - my apologies

however, its just an opinion piece, and there are more articles like his than those that disagree with him

S008NER
8/15/2011, 09:22 AM
The big east is seriously courting KU.

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2011, 09:22 AM

talk about a helluva basketball conference!

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 09:28 AM

Some. Not a lot. They want everyone to think they're one of elite traditional powers in college football and they're not. Top 20 at best. One national title 70+ years ago, one Heisman 50+ years ago, and only one Big 12 title up to this point.

ok, i stand corrected - JJT left the DMN on August 1st and is a writer for ESPN - my apologies

however, its just an opinion piece, and there are more articles like his than those that disagree with him

Still missing the point. ESPN benefits greatly from A&M staying in the Big 12 and writing articles that slam them for wanting to go the SEC or have a slant towards Texas/the Big 12 is unethical. It doesn't matter who else shares that opinion.

Brophog
8/15/2011, 09:28 AM

;)

Journalism doesn't sell. Why do you think the 'actual' "journalists" stopped doing it.

bluedogok
8/15/2011, 09:30 AM
They should be and some other teams in the Big 12 to create a western division with TCU. There was talk during the last round of the basketball only schools in the Big East leaving and forming their own conference. That would allow the Big East to add football schools without the basketball conference becoming unmanageable.

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2011, 09:39 AM
Some. Not a lot. They want everyone to think they're one of elite traditional powers in college football and they're not. Top 20 at best. One national title 70+ years ago, one Heisman 50+ years ago, and only one Big 12 title up to this point.

Still missing the point. ESPN benefits greatly from A&M staying in the Big 12 and writing articles that slam them for wanting to go the SEC or have a slant towards Texas/the Big 12 is unethical. It doesn't matter who else shares that opinion.

no i completely get that ESPN is in the business of making money and has a contractual agreement with the Big 12....i get it - money is the issue

unethical? we're talking about a sports article here - i guess my perspective on this is "who cares"....i'm not nearly as worked up over this as many others seem to be

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 09:43 AM
no i completely get that ESPN is in the business of making money and has a contractual agreement with the Big 12....i get it - money is the issue

unethical? we're talking about a sports article here - i guess my perspective on this is "who cares"....i'm not nearly as worked up over this as many others seem to be

My perspective on this is "college sports is becoming more disgustingly greedy by the day and it saddens me." Am I surprised? No, but I can still be saddened by it.

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2011, 09:48 AM
My perspective on this is "college sports is becoming more disgustingly greedy by the day and it saddens me." Am I surprised? No, but I can still be saddened by it.

we're in total agreement there

70sooner
8/15/2011, 12:09 PM

yes, 1000%.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/15/2011, 12:59 PM

This^^^^. It is less about school rivalry and support and more about NFL development league.

badger
8/15/2011, 01:36 PM
The schools are kind of forced to pursue more bucks in an era of declining state dollars and higher tuition/fee dollars. The ESPN drama-provoking panel discussion on player compensation that was running last night/this morning kind of addressed the fact that all of this money is invested back into the university, it's not for profit.

But... there's the tiny matter of the fact that while the university is not for-profit, the salaries for leadership roles throughout are ballooning... and the number of high-dollar admin positions is also going up.

SoonerMom2
8/15/2011, 01:56 PM
Badger -- Saw that last night on ESPN. We are also one of the few schools that academics doesn't have to support athletics like they did before Stoops got here and turned football around.

FtwTxSooner
8/15/2011, 03:13 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

August 15, 2011

Numerous benefits for participating universities as well as local and state economies are clearly obtained through participation in large athletic conferences. The Perryman Group (TPG) recently quantified the economic impact if Texas A&M leaves the Big 12 Conference.

If Texas A&M leaves the Big 12, but the rest of the conference remains intact, the decrease in business activity in the state would include losses of $217.2 million in output (gross product) each year and 3,050 jobs. This reduction in economic activity also results in lost tax revenue to the State and to local governments. The Perryman Group estimates that State fiscal revenue would be reduced by $28.2 million per year if Texas A&M leaves the Big 12, but the Conference survives. Losses to local governments would be $13.1 million per year.

If Texas A&M leaves the Big 12, leading to other realignments and the dissolution of the Big 12, the reduction in business activity in the state is even larger. Losses in total spending could be expected to top $1 billion, while output (gross product) falls by $589.5 million each year. In addition, 8,329 jobs would likely be lost. Tax revenue losses to the State and to local governments would also be larger. The Perryman Group estimates that State fiscal revenue would be reduced by $53.2 million per year if Texas A&M leaves the Big 12 and the Conference dissolves, while local governments lose $22.6 million per annum.

These losses in home game expenditures, major conference games, media contracts, and visitor spending are net of impacts Texas member schools would continue to generate through activity in other conferences. Negative effects would be particularly notable if the balance shifted in the Texas representation relative to other states.

“Schools in the premier conferences also realize notable benefits such as national media exposure and lucrative media contracts, and the presence of four schools in a premier conference is important to Texas’ ability to capitalize on the potential economic stimulus of college athletics,” said Dr. Perryman.

###

Here is a press release on the economic impact of a move by A&M on the state of Texas. This will give the politicians some ammo to try to block the move.

OUInformant
8/15/2011, 03:22 PM
Could OU dominate more in the Big 10 or PAC 12?

badger
8/15/2011, 03:43 PM
Please don't be stupid like TexAgs, who are currently going ape crap over this:

STATEMENT OF CHAIRMAN DAN BRANCH REGARDING POSTPONEMENT OF COLLEGIATE ATHLETICS HEARING print page
by: Rep. Branch, Dan
06/15/2010
"The June 16, 2010 hearing of the House Higher Education Committee on collegiate athletics has been postponed.
"With Texas Tech University's announcement this afternoon that it has joined our other Texas schools in making an unequivocal, public commitment to remain in the Big 12 Conference, the immediate need for a hearing has passed.
"The hearing was originally scheduled with three principle objectives in mind: to allow a public evaluation of the merits of possible athletic conference reconfigurations involving our largest public universities, to provide more transparency, and to encourage an outcome that best serves our state. The Committee's intent was not to micro-manage individual university decisions.
"At this time, there is no need to evaluate the merits of possible athletic conference reconfigurations. The multiple announcements and media availabilities since last night have provided broad public disclosure. Moreover, the decisions by our Texas schools to remain in the Big 12 appear to be a positive result for our students, families and universities.
"As we move past this period of uncertainty, it is my hope that the spirit of cooperation between our Texas universities will continue. I appreciate the many efforts of our university leaders and regents during this tumultuous time."

I would like all of you smart, intelligent Sooner fans to note the key words/numbers in this release:

STATEMENT OF CHAIRMAN DAN BRANCH REGARDING POSTPONEMENT OF COLLEGIATE ATHLETICS HEARING print page
by: Rep. Branch, Dan
06/15/2010
"The June 16, 2010 hearing of the House Higher Education Committee on collegiate athletics has been postponed.
"With Texas Tech University's announcement this afternoon that it has joined our other Texas schools in making an unequivocal, public commitment to remain in the Big 12 Conference, the immediate need for a hearing has passed.
"The hearing was originally scheduled with three principle objectives in mind: to allow a public evaluation of the merits of possible athletic conference reconfigurations involving our largest public universities, to provide more transparency, and to encourage an outcome that best serves our state. The Committee's intent was not to micro-manage individual university decisions.
"At this time, there is no need to evaluate the merits of possible athletic conference reconfigurations. The multiple announcements and media availabilities since last night have provided broad public disclosure. Moreover, the decisions by our Texas schools to remain in the Big 12 appear to be a positive result for our students, families and universities.
"As we move past this period of uncertainty, it is my hope that the spirit of cooperation between our Texas universities will continue. I appreciate the many efforts of our university leaders and regents during this tumultuous time."

Once again, JUNE. Once again, 2010. Once again, TECH. This is not going down now, this went down last year. So please, ignore any and everything about the committee meeting getting canceled. The board of regents at A&M are meeting now, I think.

S008NER
8/15/2011, 04:17 PM
As expected, A&M bor gives pres power to decide A&M future conference.

FtwTxSooner
8/15/2011, 04:20 PM
The meeting was canceled.

(Canceled) August 16 , 2011 @ 2:00 P.M. in room E2.036

http://www.house.state.tx.us/schedules/committee-schedules/advanced-search/?startDate=today&endDate=week&committeeCode=C290

The press release just had a typo in it on the date in the body of the statement.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/shared-blogs/austin/aggies/upload/2011/08/house_higher_education_committ/Branch%20statement.pdf

colleyvillesooner
8/15/2011, 04:22 PM
As expected, A&M bor gives pres power to decide A&M future conference.

http://i.pgu.me/ijt1CUVT_original.jpg

Game on!

badger
8/15/2011, 04:29 PM
The meeting was canceled.

(Canceled) August 16 , 2011 @ 2:00 P.M. in room E2.036

http://www.house.state.tx.us/schedules/committee-schedules/advanced-search/?startDate=today&endDate=week&committeeCode=C290

The press release just had a typo in it on the date in the body of the statement.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/shared-blogs/austin/aggies/upload/2011/08/house_higher_education_committ/Branch%20statement.pdf

Kewl. Texas legislature typos lol

SoonerMom2
8/15/2011, 04:30 PM
From Breaking News Alert from the birdcage paper of Austin, the Statesman:

Breaking News
Monday, August 15, 2011
Regents give A&M president the OK to move Aggies out of Big 12

SoonerMom2
8/15/2011, 04:36 PM
Just checked the Statesman at http://www.statesman.com and they are awaiting the details. It is in red background with white headlines -- shocked they don't use orange. :)

badger
8/15/2011, 04:40 PM
I talked to an A&M alum earlier... said that he looked at all of the Big 12 North schools with Texas recruits on their roster... more than 100 of them. And then he looked at the SEC. Only about 60 now, with the majority (about half) in LSU and Arky.

He essentially said what we've all suspected all along: This will open a giant can of worms that A&M will not be able to handle. And no offense to our friendly SEC residential fans here, but he worries that it will also open up A&M to the stereotypes often associated with southern states, beyond the point where they already are for their Corps and their other oddball traditions.

A&M: Come to A&M to play in the SEC.
Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina: Come to our school and also play in the SEC!
Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama: Come to our school and win an SEC and national title within the past decade or two!
Florida and LSU: Come to our school and win MULTIPLE national and SEC titles in within the past decade!
Mississippis: Hi. We're from Mississippi. S-E-C!

SoonerMom2
8/15/2011, 04:45 PM
How many of our OU players even come from East Texas or Houston?

badger
8/15/2011, 04:47 PM
I don't know my Texas geography so I couldn't tell you on east Texas, but Jaz Reynolds is from Hooostin. So is Kellen Jones. Derrick Bradley, David King... ok that's it I think

brainpimp
8/15/2011, 04:50 PM
And we will continue to get players from Texas.

SoonerMom2
8/15/2011, 04:51 PM
East Texas would be Beaumont, Port Arthur, and that area near LA. My guess is that A&M will be the ones hurt by going to SEC with recruiting. Players will still come to OU. If we have four from the Houston that means they chose us over A&M and LSU!

badger
8/15/2011, 04:53 PM
And we will continue to get players from Texas.

Oh yeah, when I think about every major complaint texags has had over recent memory -- the t-shirt fans at "TU," the recruits leaving state for Oklahoma, specifically -- it's going to get far worse in the SEC.

An Arky poster informed them of this, that they are going to be invaded by thousands of t-shirt fans for every SEC school on a weekly basis. They seem to be in disbelief, or denial.

SicEmBaylor
8/15/2011, 07:15 PM
I talked to an A&M alum earlier... said that he looked at all of the Big 12 North schools with Texas recruits on their roster... more than 100 of them. And then he looked at the SEC. Only about 60 now, with the majority (about half) in LSU and Arky.

He essentially said what we've all suspected all along: This will open a giant can of worms that A&M will not be able to handle. And no offense to our friendly SEC residential fans here, but he worries that it will also open up A&M to the stereotypes often associated with southern states, beyond the point where they already are for their Corps and their other oddball traditions.

A&M: Come to A&M to play in the SEC.
Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina: Come to our school and also play in the SEC!
Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama: Come to our school and win an SEC and national title within the past decade or two!
Florida and LSU: Come to our school and win MULTIPLE national and SEC titles in within the past decade!
Mississippis: Hi. We're from Mississippi. S-E-C!

"oddball traditions" is being very very kind.

trwxxa
8/15/2011, 07:45 PM
I don't know my Texas geography so I couldn't tell you on east Texas, but Jaz Reynolds is from Hooostin. So is Kellen Jones. Derrick Bradley, David King... ok that's it I think

Brandon Williams (Brookshire, about 30 miles west of Houston), Sam Proctor, Max Stevenson, Jamarkus McFarland (Lufkin), Nathan Hughes, James Haynes (Orange), Trey Franks (Orange), Aaron Franklin (Marshall)

SoonerMom2
8/15/2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks! So we have been cherry picking players right out of A&M's area so what makes them think going to the SEC is going to change that? OU is still going to get their players because no matter what conference A&M is still A&M.

mehip
8/15/2011, 08:34 PM
Here is a press release on the economic impact of a move by A&M on the state of Texas. This will give the politicians some ammo to try to block the move.

No offense, but these numbers seem like they were pulled out of someone's ***. I am sure there will be some loss but I don't trust anything that doesn't have audited numbers behind it. Plus the carpet-bagging politicians here in TX have shown time and time again that they can't open their mouths with out spouting half-truths.

thecynic
8/15/2011, 08:48 PM
I just read that Dan Beebe said the intent was to keep the conference at 10 teams? I think that's idiotic. Every other conference is trying to expand and we want to stay at 10?

TMcGee86
8/15/2011, 09:08 PM
No offense, but these numbers seem like they were pulled out of someone's ***. I am sure there will be some loss but I don't trust anything that doesn't have audited numbers behind it. Plus the carpet-bagging politicians here in TX have shown time and time again that they can't open their mouths with out spouting half-truths.

Exactly. At first I thought maybe this made sense because it would take all the A&M vs. Texas schools games away, but then I thought about it and it's not like Baylor wont play the same number of home games as they did when A&M was in the conference, same goes for Texas and Tech. Not only that but now you add another home game in the weeks where A&M would be playing those teams if A&M is playing at home.

And a good part of that money will be new as it will be coming from out of staters that would not have spent such money but for A&M's move.

So you could easily make the case that there wouldn't be a loss at all and in fact there would be a gain.

the-rover
8/15/2011, 09:09 PM
I just read that Dan Beebe said the intent was to keep the conference at 10 teams? I think that's idiotic. Every other conference is trying to expand and we want to stay at 10?

What did you expect him to say? I have yet to hear anyone say that Beebe was not an idiot.

soonerduke
8/15/2011, 09:10 PM

I heard that Dan Beebe likes to play black jack and thinks that standing on 10 or less is a winning strategy.

thecynic
8/15/2011, 09:19 PM
What did you expect him to say? I have yet to hear anyone say that Beebe was not an idiot.

I would like for him to say that to keep this conference viable they are moving forward with expansion to at least 12 teams.

Although with all this instability I doubt they could get any decent school to join.

This conference has all the characteristics of a sinking ship.

the-rover
8/15/2011, 09:38 PM
I would like for him to say that to keep this conference viable they are moving forward with expansion to at least 12 teams.

Although with all this instability I doubt they could get any decent school to join.

This conference has all the characteristics of a sinking ship.

Yeah, that'd be great. But I don't think he can say much coherently with Dodds nutsack in his mouth.

StoopTroup
8/15/2011, 09:43 PM
This whole thing has the feel of A&M crying about how unfair they are treated and that if we don't stop they are gonna take their football and go Home.

Home is the SEC but they are adopted and their new parent's really don't like them and are making plans to send them back or find them other parent's.

Ruf/Nek7
8/15/2011, 10:04 PM
*= bullies
a&m= child being picked on
OU= Counselor

Octavian
8/16/2011, 12:22 AM
Can't wait to see A&M in Norman this year....

sooner59
8/16/2011, 12:41 AM
I'll be there.

LASooner
8/16/2011, 12:51 AM
"oddball traditions" is being very very kind.

You don't kiss your dead dog after touchdowns? Squeeze your girlfriend's nuts? Or run around in milk men uniforms and perform pantomime proctological exams?

Hmmm.. I'm starting to see your point.

SicEmBaylor
8/16/2011, 01:16 AM
Evidently that gutless worm Beebe found his nut sack just long enough to give it to Slive in a phone conversation. The NCAA is holding a "summit" to come up with ways conference expansion can become a bit more civilized.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/sports/ncaa-chief-suggests-summit-on-conference-expansion.html?_r=3

LASooner
8/16/2011, 02:04 AM
Kinda cute that the NCAA thinks they matter.

sooner59
8/16/2011, 02:07 AM
I have a feeling Slive doesn't GAS what dumbass Beebe says. They probably have already made their plans.

ouflak
8/16/2011, 02:08 AM
Kinda cute that the NCAA thinks they matter. They are pulling in hundreds of millions of dollars a year off this sport, and they write the rules to make sure that that money supply is least threatened (by the athletes in particular). They matter.

LASooner
8/16/2011, 02:32 AM
you're not paying attention to the Big 10/SEC cabal that's threatening to completely remove the NCAA from the equation

ouflak
8/16/2011, 07:34 AM
you're not paying attention to the Big 10/SEC cabal that's threatening to completely remove the NCAA from the equation

If the NCAA didn't matter, there would be no threat to remove the NCAA from the equation because... well... they wouldn't matter. Frankly, I hope any cabal of schools succeeds in alleviating college football of the NCAA's presence. That would be beautiful. But we are all stuck with them for now. If all of this conference re-alignment stuff forges ahead on top of the crushed ruins of the NCAA, all the better.

brainpimp
8/16/2011, 09:23 AM
They are pulling in hundreds of millions of dollars a year off this sport, and they write the rules to make sure that that money supply is least threatened (by the athletes in particular). They matter.

The NCAA does not pull in hundreds of millions of dollars. Your first assumption is not true therefore you conclusion is not true.

ouflak
8/16/2011, 12:27 PM
The NCAA does not pull in hundreds of millions of dollars. Your first assumption is not true therefore you conclusion is not true.

Oooops!

10.8 billion dollar contract for the basketball tournament. (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/NCAA+News/NCAA+News+Online/2010/Association-wide/NCAA+signs+new+14year+TV+deal+for+DI+mens+basketba ll_NCAANews_04_22_10)

Previous merchandising deal with EA Sports worth atleast 500 million. Speculation is that the current one is worth an even 1 billion (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4904393)

And these are just the latest contracts I could find from a quick Google. There's more including general merchandising deals and other exclusivity contracts.

Also, unless ESPN has become a charity (which I'm pretty sure they have not), then I bet the NCAA got atleast a little bit of coin for their broadcast of the College World Series and the women's basketball tournament.

Soonerpsycho
8/16/2011, 02:01 PM
http://soonerpsycho.com/spfarksandpics/utfark.jpg

IndySooner
8/16/2011, 03:04 PM
Tweet:

@SportsGuyUtah Some MAJOR unexpected news is about to break in conference realignment.

OUMallen
8/16/2011, 03:25 PM
SportsGuyUtah Ryan Teeples
Not directly, no. But again, I don't know much. @AndrewAdamsKSL @sportsguyutah @bandaid_k does it impact BYU?
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

@
@samstroman Trying to confirm. All I know is what I'm told, which is it's 1) Major 2) this afternoon
3 minutes ago

@
@jasonpbyu This afternoon is what I was told. was told it is not expected by media and fans.
4 minutes ago

@
@bandaid_k B/c you won't get info from a source again if you squeal. I'm told it's happening on the other coast, this afternoon.
7 minutes ago

delhalew
8/16/2011, 03:51 PM
Twitter is weird.

Lott's Bandana
8/16/2011, 04:15 PM
This is all about Miami. The U is going down.

IMHO, this is decades late.

Veritas
8/16/2011, 04:44 PM
http://soonerpsycho.com/spfarksandpics/utfark.jpg
It's the human longhornipede!

Oldnslo
8/16/2011, 04:53 PM
Nobody knows anything. The people who say they know something? They don't know anything.

silverwheels
8/16/2011, 05:08 PM
This is all about Miami. The U is going down.

IMHO, this is decades late.

Only because the NCAA can't nail Auburn yet.

Penguin
8/16/2011, 05:16 PM
Nobody knows anything. The people who say they know something? They don't know anything.

How do you know?

tommieharris91
8/16/2011, 05:41 PM
Only because the NCAA can't sic Yahoo! Sports on Auburn yet.

Fixed. What da U was doing make tOSU, Auburn, and SMU look like a buncha angels.

Lott's Bandana
8/16/2011, 05:44 PM
One of the penalties should be that any former players on Sunday Night Football should have to say,

"The Who?"

silverwheels
8/16/2011, 06:21 PM
Fixed. What da U was doing make tOSU, Auburn, and SMU look like a buncha angels.

True.

sooneredaco
8/16/2011, 06:22 PM
Miami to Big 12-2! They will save us!!!

silverwheels
8/16/2011, 06:26 PM
Tweet:

@SportsGuyUtah Some MAJOR unexpected news is about to break in conference realignment.

It must be the news that Miami is going to have their colon and large intestine realigned by the long **** of the NCAA.

Collier11
8/16/2011, 08:12 PM

not true at all, no one would ever pass up an undefeated OU for a 1 loss team or a 1 loss OU for a two loss team, that would never ever happen, ever

westbrooke
8/17/2011, 11:42 AM
It must be the news that Miami is going to have their colon and large intestine realigned by the long **** of the NCAA.

Yeah, that's an interesting turn. The tweet did specifically mention realignment. Maybe he heard there would be "big news" and assumed the realignment part on his own.

IlliniJ
8/23/2011, 02:36 AM
Oklahoma is in a really weird position, as it seems that they are dictated by Texas' actions, and OK State is dictated by OU's actions. It is a strange situation that leaves OU having to ensure that Texas makes as much as they can, while also ensuring that OK State is able to maximize their profits as well.

It is for these reasons that OU is stuck in a nationally irrelevant conference for a long time to come I'm afraid.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/23/2011, 06:17 PM
Oklahoma has TONS of power in this equation, they can literally pack their bag (in this case OsU) and go to the Pac-10 and it all goes bye bye. The conference can't survive without Texas or Oklahoma, the rest literally can go and they wouldn't be hurt horribly

brainpimp
8/24/2011, 08:04 AM
Oklahoma has TONS of power in this equation, they can literally pack their bag (in this case OsU) and go to the Pac-10 and it all goes bye bye. The conference can't survive without Texas or Oklahoma, the rest literally can go and they wouldn't be hurt horribly

Totally true, but only if they are willing to pull the trigger. Unfortunately, nothing has come out that makes me have any confidence that they are willing to do that.

silverwheels
8/24/2011, 08:25 AM
OU benefits from being in a conference with its two main rivals and a connection to Texas (not to mention schools in the same region). Sure, we did very well before the Texas schools were in our conference, but it's a different era now. I can't see us leaving UT unless something drastic happens. Sure, it's easy for fans to say "screw Texas" and clamor for the SEC or Pac-12 or whatever (and I've been guilty of this), but there's more to it than just being pissed off at those *******s from Austin. Everything has to be taken into account here, which is what Boren and Castiglione are doing.

Theskipster
8/25/2011, 03:06 PM
From SI:

Dear Commissioner Beebe:

As you know, the Texas A&M Board of Regents has authorized me to take action relating to Texas A&M University's ("Texas A&M") conference alignment. While this letter is not a notice of Texas A&M's withdrawal from the Big 12 Conference (the "Conference"), we are exploring our options. There has been a great deal of speculation and comment in the media about Texas A&M leaving the Conference, including discussions of other institutions joining the Conference.

If Texas A&M withdraws from the Conference, we want to do so in a way that complies with the Bylaws and is supportive of your efforts to seek a new member of the Conference. We would appreciate your conferring with the other member institutions and outlining for us the process to be followed by Texas A&M should it withdraw from the Conference.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

R. Bowen Loftin
President

IlliniJ
8/25/2011, 05:06 PM
Congrats to the Aggies for getting out! I would imagine that their fan base and greater institution will be energized in a way that they have never experienced.

It's weird, but through these boards I almost feel like I have a higher regard for OU than most OU fans do. I tend to think that you could have a chance of getting accepted in a better conference, but OU fans almost feel like they can't do any better than be with third rate schools both academically and athletically. Getting excited over having SMU or Houston join is not a place that most would want to be in.

Also, the notion that OU has to remain attached to Texas to ever succeed at anything that has been expressed multiple times in this thread is kind of sad. IMO you all have a better atmosphere and fan base, but somehow they've brainwashed some OU fans into gladly accepting redhead stepchild status it seems.

49r
8/25/2011, 05:10 PM
This is such a horse**** dog and pony show. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a way for A&M to save face and end up staying in the XII. Here's what I think:

Loftin writes Beebe and asks him to confab with the other 9 schools in the conference and come up with a "process" to be followed. Beebe comes back to Loftin and all Dr. Evil style says "ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS" to leave.

Loftin goes, "oh, we can't afford that. Well I guess we'll stay then. Thanks for helping out Dan" and they don't have to go try to explain why the SEC and Slive told them to go F themselves.

That's what I think this is all about.

BASSooner
8/25/2011, 05:10 PM
OU benefits from being in a conference with its two main rivals and a connection to Texas (not to mention schools in the same region). Sure, we did very well before the Texas schools were in our conference, but it's a different era now. I can't see us leaving UT unless something drastic happens. Sure, it's easy for fans to say "screw Texas" and clamor for the SEC or Pac-12 or whatever (and I've been guilty of this), but there's more to it than just being pissed off at those *******s from Austin. Everything has to be taken into account here, which is what Boren and Castiglione are doing.

Agreed with the last statement. However, while what you say is legit is not the main issue. The main focus is the long-term status of our university's position in the conference. I do agree that it is important to maintain rivalries with other schools but where you stand as a conference member (more importantly, WHICH conference) is top priority.

You can make the argument about Nebraska's rivalry with us (though we don't play every year) and what A&M is intending to do against texas and the big 12. A&M's actions alone prove that texas is not the make or break decision. They fall heavily in the equation, yes. If a&m leaves, they'll make new friends and new rivals (LSU and arkansas). Nebraska is already doing that with the bucks, hawkeyes, wisconsin, and some of the other big schools. Hypothetically, we'd be doing the exact same thing. If we go to the pac 12, OUr new friends are USC and Oregon.

You just have to look at the big picture. My 2 cents, if there are talks about schools replacing the aggies like houston, air force, BYU or SMU, this conference is doomed to die. Those schools are not up to standard like those of a&m OR nebraska.

BASSooner
8/25/2011, 05:13 PM
This is such a horse**** dog and pony show. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a way for A&M to save face and end up staying in the XII. Here's what I think:

Loftin writes Beebe and asks him to confab with the other 9 schools in the conference and come up with a "process" to be followed. Beebe comes back to Loftin and all Dr. Evil style says "ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS" to leave.

Loftin goes, "oh, we can't afford that. Well I guess we'll stay then. Thanks for helping out Dan" and they don't have to go try to explain why the SEC and Slive told them to go F themselves.

Oh but think about this for a second though. We all know that aggie has no logic. Thus I'm very sure there are aggie alums out there that would make illogical decisions to help pay up such a massive penalty if they did leave. Just being optimistic ;)

IndySooner
8/25/2011, 05:52 PM

It's pretty much the exact same letter that Nebraska sent last year.

Also, there are rumors that the A&M big donors put $$$$ on them moving to the SEC, including enough to expand the stadium and pay the exit fees.

silverwheels
8/25/2011, 06:21 PM
Congrats to the Aggies for getting out! I would imagine that their fan base and greater institution will be energized in a way that they have never experienced.

It's weird, but through these boards I almost feel like I have a higher regard for OU than most OU fans do. I tend to think that you could have a chance of getting accepted in a better conference, but OU fans almost feel like they can't do any better than be with third rate schools both academically and athletically. Getting excited over having SMU or Houston join is not a place that most would want to be in.

Also, the notion that OU has to remain attached to Texas to ever succeed at anything that has been expressed multiple times in this thread is kind of sad. IMO you all have a better atmosphere and fan base, but somehow they've brainwashed some OU fans into gladly accepting redhead stepchild status it seems.

OU doesn't have to remain attached to Texas to ever succeed at anything. It would just be better for OU if they retained that connection to Texas (the state, not just the university). And whether UT wants to admit it or not, they need OU, too. Maybe not as much, but both schools benefit from their relationship.

Sooner95
8/25/2011, 06:25 PM
BYU, Airforce, and those teams do nothing for me..but SMU, I admit I like. Not sure why..lol

BASSooner
8/25/2011, 06:31 PM
BYU, Airforce, and those teams do nothing for me..but SMU, I admit I like. Not sure why..lol

$$$ and lots of it. Their athletic prestige...not so much.

49r
8/25/2011, 06:36 PM
It's pretty much the exact same letter that Nebraska sent last year.

Also, there are rumors that the A&M big donors put $$$$ on them moving to the SEC, including enough to expand the stadium and pay the exit fees.

All due respect, but I don't think your first statement is even remotely true. Neither Nebraska nor Colorado asked permission to leave either in writing or verbally. They just made the move. The only thing either one of them said on the way out was "we're leaving for xxx conference, and we'll pay the exit penalty (if there is one) to do so".

No, to me, this just looks like chicken**** saber rattling. I honestly believe the powers to be don't have the gonads to make a move, if the option is even available to them, which I am not even sure it is.

silverwheels
8/25/2011, 07:11 PM
Craig James is going to lobby hard for SMU's inclusion in the Big 12, so screw SMU, because James is a piece of ****. They don't add very much to this conference, anyway, if anything.

3rdgensooner
8/25/2011, 07:13 PM
No, to me, this just looks like chicken**** saber rattling.And nut squeezing?

Craig James is going to lobby hard for SMU's inclusion in the Big 12, so screw SMU, because James is a piece of ****. They don't add very much to this conference, anyway, if anything.Preach on brother wheels!

trwxxa
8/25/2011, 07:24 PM
No, to me, this just looks like chicken**** saber rattling. I honestly believe the powers to be don't have the gonads to make a move, if the option is even available to them, which I am not even sure it is.

With all of the threats of lawsuits, I have no doubt aTm and the SEC and going to cover every detail.

C&CDean
8/25/2011, 08:05 PM
SMU? Let them in. This way Baylor has a bitch. I'm kinda soft for Sicem.

StoopTroup
8/25/2011, 08:08 PM
Let them go....if being Pwned in the Big XII wasn't enough for them...getting rammed in the *** every weekend in the SEC will be funny to watch. I mean...after they leave...I might actually watch one of their games against an SEC Foe.

soonervegas
8/25/2011, 09:14 PM

You are not listening. Quit posting the backhanded compliments.

3rdgensooner
8/25/2011, 09:36 PM
You are not listening. Quit posting the backhanded compliments.Yeah, I think Illi has a reading comprehension deficiti.

IndySooner
8/26/2011, 07:00 AM
All due respect, but I don't think your first statement is even remotely true. Neither Nebraska nor Colorado asked permission to leave either in writing or verbally. They just made the move. The only thing either one of them said on the way out was "we're leaving for xxx conference, and we'll pay the exit penalty (if there is one) to do so".

I could give you about 20 links, but here's one:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Texas-AM-informs-Big-12-it-is-exploring-its-options.html

It's pretty much the same thing Nebraska did last year. All due respect.

Tear Down This Wall
8/26/2011, 10:32 AM
I can't believe we're going to sit and watch A&M go, and be satisfied with SMU or Houston in trade. Pathetic. The strength of schedule for this conference is already down. Hard to believe we've got no more balls than to just go along with whatever Texas does. Awful.

Sooner in Tampa
8/26/2011, 10:37 AM
I can't believe we're going to sit and watch A&M go, and be satisfied with SMU or Houston in trade. Pathetic. The strength of schedule for this conference is already down. Hard to believe we've got no more balls than to just go along with whatever Texas does. Awful.
^^^^ THIS

ouflak
8/26/2011, 10:49 AM
Would it be that much of a problem to just go with 9 teams for the last few years of this conference's existance? It would free up an OOC slot for everybody. With some halfway decent scheduling, I would certainly think that atleast four of those nine remaining teams could schedule an A&M quality opponent or better thus preserving the SOS of the conference. Is it just an ego thing that we need 10 teams? Is there a BCS rule on the subject or something?

Boomer.....
8/26/2011, 10:50 AM
If it was said on Twitter...it is a cold hard fact..deal with it...

Just like on Bleacher Report.

MeMyself&Me
8/26/2011, 11:13 AM

For one, Big 12 is not taking SMU or Houston. Second, it's not a lack of balls, it's a matter of preference. OU's admin want to be in the same conference as Texas and OSU. Since we're going to be playing them regardless, being in a difference conference tightens up our OOC schedule.

Would it be that much of a problem to just go with 9 teams for the last few years of this conference's existance? It would free up an OOC slot for everybody. With some halfway decent scheduling, I would certainly think that atleast four of those nine remaining teams could schedule an A&M quality opponent or better thus preserving the SOS of the conference. Is it just an ego thing that we need 10 teams? Is there a BCS rule on the subject or something?

Reportedly, having less than 10 voids the Fox contract.

silverwheels
8/26/2011, 11:16 AM

It's not about balls. Staying where we are right now hasn't hurt OU yet and we're not about to throw a public tantrum like A&M has done, the crybabies. OU will be fine, no matter where we are.

soonervegas
8/26/2011, 01:33 PM
My only slight concern is Texas being able to pick up ND as their Thanksgiving matchup......I am thinking that might be a real possibility.

MeMyself&Me
8/26/2011, 01:58 PM
My only slight concern is Texas being able to pick up ND as their Thanksgiving matchup......I am thinking that might be a real possibility.

Texas might want to talk to Notre Dame, USC, and Stanford to see how they feel about that first.

49r
8/26/2011, 03:22 PM

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Texas-AM-informs-Big-12-it-is-exploring-its-options.html

Got a link that's not a blog or a bit of opinion? Neither Nebraska nor Colorado sent a letter like that to Dan Beebe. Immahanguppenlissen.

Tear Down This Wall
8/26/2011, 04:13 PM
It is about balls, and who does and does not have them. We're about to lose the next to last competitive member of the conference, and we're sitting here doing nothing about it. OU should put this conference out of its misery and seek higher ground.

Higher ground is not Houston, SMU, BYU, or Air Force. Higher ground is not hoping Texas gets a game with Notre Dame every year for the sake of our strength of schedule. We have the pull to get to higher ground ourselves and not wait on Texas.

People here were praising Dan Beebe last year. What a joke. All the guy does is do what DeLoss Dodds at Texas tells him to do. And, we, apparently are content to fall in line.

We fiddle with them while Rome burns.

I can't believe our fanbase is happy to have Colorado and Nebraska run off in favor of Texas. Having grown up on OU football in the 70s and 80s, and becoming a season ticket holder in the 90s, I say it's nothing less than shameful. Now, we stand by as Texas A&M goes away.

Hitching our wagon to Texas and Oklahoma State. It's disgusting.

MeMyself&Me
8/26/2011, 04:27 PM
It is about balls, and who does and does not have them. We're about to lose the next to last competitive member of the conference, and we're sitting here doing nothing about it. OU should put this conference out of its misery and seek higher ground.

Higher ground is not Houston, SMU, BYU, or Air Force. Higher ground is not hoping Texas get a game with Notre Dame every year for the sake of our strength of schedule. We have the pull to get to higher ground ourselves and not wait on Texas.

People here were praising Dan Beebe last year. What a joke. All the guy does is do what DeLoss Dodds at Texas tells him to do. And, we, apparently are content to fall in line.

We fiddle with them while Rome burns.

I can't believe our fanbase is happy to have Colorado and Nebraska run off in favor of Texas. Having grown up on OU football in the 70s and 80s, and becoming a season ticket holder in the 90s, I say it's nothing less than shameful. Now, we stand by as Texas A&M goes away.

Hitching our wagon to Texas and Oklahoma State. It's disgusting.

You really are making a lot of assumption in that post. For one, how do you know that OU's admin is 'doing nothing'. Second, OU will only 'fall in line' if it's in OU's best interest. JC and Boren are bigger people than you give them credit for. Third, I don't think anyone was 'happy' to have Colorado and Nebraska run off, including Texas (so it's not in their 'favor').

OU has had it's wagon hitched to Texas and OSU for long before the Big 12 and that wagon will be hitched long after with or without conference affiliation. However, in a conference where you play 9 conference games, there's only 3 OOC games which means OU needs at least one, perhaps both, to still be in the same conference with OU to have any sort of OOC flexibility. This was not the case before the Big 12 when OU had 4 or more OOC games plus OSU was IN conference.

Relax. Let those in power do their thing and see how it plays out.

Tear Down This Wall
8/26/2011, 04:43 PM
We'll have 3 OOC games no matter which conference we are in Big 12, SEC, or Pac-12/16. Texas and Oklahoma State can go hang. I'd trade them both to get an SEC schedule.

silverwheels
8/26/2011, 04:51 PM
No, it's not about balls. It's about whether or not we benefit from the current setup of the Big 12. We do, so we're staying. When that's not the case anymore, Boren and Castiglione will figure something out. They're not just sitting around with their thumbs up each others' asses. OU was one of the 3 big benefactors of the restructured Big 12 deal. A&M was, too, but they can't handle the fact that they'll never be as important as Texas, so they're attempting to leave. If (when) the LHN seriously starts to hurt OU in more ways than just a bruised ego, Boren will weigh the options. Some of the conferences just don't want to be the ones to tip the first super conference domino. If the Big 12 collapses, the Pac-12 will most likely love to pick us up. Until that day comes, no sense in freaking out about it like an Aggie.

And we're not going to the SEC. Might as well give that a rest.

MeMyself&Me
8/26/2011, 05:24 PM
We'll have 3 OOC games no matter which conference we are in Big 12, SEC, or Pac-12/16. Texas and Oklahoma State can go hang. I'd trade them both to get an SEC schedule.

You're right but you're missing the point. I'll lay it out:

In the SEC (without Texas or OSU), we'll have three OOC that will be used like this:
Texas
OSU
East Handkerchief State

In the B1G (with Texas but no OSU), we'll have three OOC that will be used like this:
OSU
Good game like FSU, ND, Alabama, etc.
East Handkerchief State

In the Pac (with Texas and OSU), we'll have three OOC that will be used like this:
Mediocre game with someone like Tulsa or Fresno State
East Handkerchief State

In the old days, there were at least 4 OOC games and OSU on in conference. That's a bit reason why it's different today than back then and why it's important that we get at least one of those two in conference, if not both.

MeMyself&Me
8/26/2011, 05:25 PM
OU doesn't have to make a move right now. The sky will not fall.

silverwheels
8/26/2011, 05:28 PM
OU doesn't have to make a move right now. The sky will not fall.

Exactly. When OU needs to, they will.

49r
8/26/2011, 07:56 PM

Okay, well you're wrong, and if you are interested in finding out why, here's a long and comprehensive timeline of what happened with Nebraska's move last year: http://www.omaha.com/article/20100830/BIGRED/708309872 Including a transcript of the letter sent to Big XII presidents the day AFTER they announced the move, I'll quote the first paragraph for you.

Dear Colleagues:

I am sorry that the timing of events did not provide an adequate opportunity to give you advance notice of Nebraska's decision. This is a very bittersweet moment for me personally as well as for my University. I have counted all of you as friends as well as professional colleagues. I don't think we could have had the conversations we have had without that being true.

Nebraska never did anything remotely like what A&M just did. I can't find an equally detailed account of Colorado's move, but I am confident that they also did not notify anyone of their impending move.

49r
8/26/2011, 07:57 PM
Which is why I believe this latest move by A&M is a horse**** dog and pony show, and will eventually amount to them staying in the Big XII.

IndySooner
8/27/2011, 02:53 PM
I will quit owning you after I post this link. Google is your friend. The letter AFTER they left was not the first letter they sent.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/08/25/3313729/texas-am-asks-big-12-to-outline.html

IndySooner
8/27/2011, 02:54 PM
Which is why I believe this latest move by A&M is a horse**** dog and pony show, and will eventually amount to them staying in the Big XII.

Would you care to wager on that?

49r
8/27/2011, 04:56 PM
I will quit owning you after I post this link. Google is your friend. The letter AFTER they left was not the first letter they sent.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/08/25/3313729/texas-am-asks-big-12-to-outline.html

It's interesting that all you can produce in the way of "proof" on this are some vague references by bloggers (actually it's one blogger whose post was reposted on other blogs) or a reporter citing a "source from the Big XII", which really is not evidence of such a letter in and of itself. Moreover, the links you have provided here (and I suspect the other 20 or so links you think are relevant) appear to be from the blogger mentioned above or college beat writers in Texas who appear to be trying to justify what A&M did, or conversly vilify them (and Nebraska, too) for whatever instability there seems to be in the Big XII, there is no evidence that such a letter was actually ever sent.

Further, if such a letter was actually sent, why didn't we all hear about it at the time? You KNOW it would have made headline news with all the talk and speculation about conference realignment around that time. Why didn't it make ESPN bottom line like the news of the A&M letter? Why is there no speculation of such a letter sent to Big XII offices from Colorado? Or the entirety of the Big XII south division as they explored options with the Pac 10, SEC and Big Ten? Why? Because none of them existed, that's why. No, this letter from Loftin is the first of it's kind.

Nobody's trying to "own" anybody around here, and I'm glad you've decided to stop. Because really, you're starting to embarrass yourself.

Provide a link from before August 2011 to a transcript of Nebraska's so-called letter, or even a reputable account of such, and I'll retract everything I've said heretofore on the topic. Otherwise, get out of here with that weak stuff.

It appears that Google isn't as good a friend to you as you had hoped.

49r
8/27/2011, 04:59 PM
Would you care to wager on that?

Yeah, I'll wager on that. I'll wager your reputation against my don't give a crap.

soonervegas
8/27/2011, 05:05 PM
To bring this a little back on topic......Chip Brown is saying that Pitt may be in the mix. With that being said, why doesn't the Big East and Big 12 look into a mini-merger? Stay in division for 8 games and one cross sectional game per year. Top team from each league play a championship game rotating between Big D and New Jersey each year.

The only oddity is that it would end up being a 17 team league once TCU joined.

This provides both leagues some protection if 2-3 more team bolt.

swardboy
8/27/2011, 07:17 PM
ESPN REPORTS atm out of Big 12
Announcing in the next week....reported to espn by ap.

Sooner95
8/27/2011, 07:44 PM
Yea, they are gone.. Now to see what we (and others) will do..

NorthernIowaSooner
8/27/2011, 07:59 PM
To bring this a little back on topic......Chip Brown is saying that Pitt may be in the mix. With that being said, why doesn't the Big East and Big 12 look into a mini-merger? Stay in division for 8 games and one cross sectional game per year. Top team from each league play a championship game rotating between Big D and New Jersey each year.

The only oddity is that it would end up being a 17 team league once TCU joined.

This provides both leagues some protection if 2-3 more team bolt.

That would make for an insanely large B-ball league, but I don't think anyone cares about the ramifications beyond football.

champions77
8/27/2011, 08:59 PM

+1

If you love college fb, then there is no better place to be than the SEC. No conference has the passion of the SEC, and it's not even close. We may very well regret our decision to not join. Looks like the number of schools left to join the Big XII is pretty weak. And no, Notre Dame is not joining up with a falling conference. They've turned the Big Ten down for 30 years, and it's a much better conference that what we are now.

There is no guarantee that the Pac 12 wants us now, no guarantee at all. So then what? This could end up being really bad for OU, really bad.

IlliniJ
8/27/2011, 09:57 PM
Unfortunately OU will be stuck playing small-time games in an irrelevant conference (both academically and athletically) for a long time to come it appears. You feel that you have to do whatever Texas tells you, and also have to support OK State with all that you do.

I think that this leaves OU unable to join a decent conference, and what is left of the Texas and the Little 8 will probably continue on with some smaller Texas schools.

bluedogok
8/27/2011, 10:38 PM
That would make for an insanely large B-ball league, but I don't think anyone cares about the ramifications beyond football.
There have been rumblings of the existing basketball only schools in the Big East breaking away or joining other basketball only conferences. They understand that it is all football driven and they will be left behind in a major conference reshuffling.

silverwheels
8/27/2011, 10:59 PM
Unfortunately OU will be stuck playing small-time games in an irrelevant conference (both academically and athletically) for a long time to come it appears. You feel that you have to do whatever Texas tells you, and also have to support OK State with all that you do.

I think that this leaves OU unable to join a decent conference, and what is left of the Texas and the Little 8 will probably continue on with some smaller Texas schools.

OU is doing what's best for OU, and right now, that is staying in the Big 12, or what's left of it. When the day comes that OU will benefit more from not being associated with Texas (and it has just as much to do with the state itself as the university), Boren will make a move. It's obvious that you have no idea what's going on and are just trying to stir the pot.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/27/2011, 11:01 PM
Announced on the news, aGgies want out and asked in conference call to big 12-2-1 what the cost will be and sent in a letter. Said on news in region of $30 million so aggies will ask the big12-2-1 to withhold their 19 million tv payment. Sounds like before next weekend they will make an announcement, unless SEC don't want them.

trwxxa
8/27/2011, 11:11 PM
There have been rumblings of the existing basketball only schools in the Big East breaking away or joining other basketball only conferences. They understand that it is all football driven and they will be left behind in a major conference reshuffling.

This might work out well for Texas. Texas will want to go indepedent for football only and expect the Big XII to take them for their other sports. The other Big XII schools can tell the horns to take a hike and Texas can join this new conference. ESPN will love it since it will be mostly east coast.

brainpimp
8/28/2011, 09:43 AM

You could try to be more wrong, but you would fail.

Gone, Pecan!

MeMyself&Me
8/28/2011, 07:21 PM
Interesting take on the BYU situation:

http://www.theupsetblog.com/2011/08/source-byu-contacted-by-big-12.html?spref=tw

Curious that they seemed more concerned about being aligned with ND than anything else.

MountainOkie
8/28/2011, 07:39 PM
I hope we aren't leaving just because we can't afford the exit fees. That's not the reason...right?

silverwheels
8/28/2011, 07:49 PM
OU is one of the few self-sustaining athletic departments in the country. The potential exit fee is not a problem. OU hasn't left yet because it still benefits from being in the Big 12, at least for one more season.

Tear Down This Wall
8/28/2011, 08:09 PM
You're right but you're missing the point. I'll lay it out:

In the SEC (without Texas or OSU), we'll have three OOC that will be used like this:
Texas
OSU
East Handkerchief State

In the B1G (with Texas but no OSU), we'll have three OOC that will be used like this:
OSU
East Handkerchief State

In the Pac (with Texas and OSU), we'll have three OOC that will be used like this:
Mediocre game with someone like Tulsa or Fresno State
East Handkerchief State

In the old days, there were at least 4 OOC games and OSU on in conference. That's a bit reason why it's different today than back then and why it's important that we get at least one of those two in conference, if not both.

I'm not missing the point. My point is, was, and will always be, Oklahoma State can go screw itself. If we are in the SEC we'll play better games week in and week out than just the one or two per season we'll play if we stick the losers Oklahoma State and Texas in the Big 12-3+whatever crap school they attempt to replace A&M with.

We have the opportunity to join the best football conference in the country. If we don't take it, we simply get carried on whatever tide DeLoss Dodds tells Joe Castiglione to be carried to.

Oklahoma State, Bedlam, whatever...the stature of that game wasn't 1/10th the stature of the Nebraska series, and that one's gone forever. If our Nebraska rivalry can be trashed, the Oklahoma State one can be for sure. Like, totally.

In fact, put me in the camp that says if we join the SEC, I could care less if we ever play Oklahoma State or Texas again. There'll be plenty of action there without those two.

That being said, if we are thrown into the Pac-12/16 (the Joe Castiglione Riding DeLoss Dodds' Coattails scenario), we'll have to have them along because the reality of that conference is, outside of USC, no schools have any decent football history. It's like a conference full of Oklahoma States plus USC. They should rename the conference USC and the Also-Rans.

Road trip to Pullman or Corvallis? Weeeeee, we traded Manhattan and Ames for West Coast Manhattan and Ames?

Road trip to Tucson? Why, is it basketball season? Maybe if I had majored in geology and wanted to study the rocks and dirt along the way through west Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.

The SEC and the Big Ten are the only two conference worth joining because of the football history of their members. Sadly, at one time, the same could have been said with the Big 8. We made a huge error joining up with the dysfunctional remnants of the Southwest Conference. Huge.

The SEC is a move up. The Pac 12/16 is a lateral move at best. Keeping the Big 12-3+one crappy is nothing more than staying with the status quo for the sake of not ruffling DeLoss Dodds' and T. Boone Pickens' feathers. Let them both stay together. In fact, they can have our annual game at the dying Cotton Bowl.

silverwheels
8/28/2011, 08:16 PM
What? The Big 8 was OU, Nebraska, and 6 other schools. Iowa State and Kansas State are two of the worst programs in NCAA history, even when you factor in Snyder's tenure at KSU. The other 4 schools have been solid at times, but mostly forgettable.

And in the era of ever-expanding TV revenues, the Big 8 needed the 4 Texas schools to remain relevant. They brought millions of TV sets that the rest of the conference just didn't have.

MeMyself&Me
8/28/2011, 09:22 PM
Interesting take on the BYU situation:

http://www.theupsetblog.com/2011/08/source-byu-contacted-by-big-12.html?spref=tw

Curious that they seemed more concerned about being aligned with ND than anything else.

Had to go back to this. Essentially, they want to do whatever Notre Dame does. If Notre Dame stays independent they probably will too. If Notre Dame joins any conference, they'll want in one too and would accept the Big 12 offer. If Notre Dame simply says, not for now, maybe someday, BYU will consider the Big 12 offer but no guarantee.

That seems like a dangerous game of chicken for them. Last summer, when it was just a matter of adding 2 teams to get to 12, I had stated that BYU + ND was the best move but they probably wouldn't come together, and that's even assuming ND would come at all, because if ND comes, you tell ND to bring whoever they want with them and I think that will be schools in the northeast, probably from the Big East. I made the point that once ND said no, the Big 12 could pressure ND by going after the larger market Big East teams. All that still applies here and, more importantly, since there's one more open spot, it's easier to pressure ND because you can offer more Big East schools.

Think of it like this. After ND rejects the Big 12's first offer, they could then offer Louisville and Pittsburgh which would put a lot of pressure on the Big East if they would come. If they say yes, you go back to ND and offer again to make 12. If not, THEN you offer BYU. If BYU said no, you offer the largest market left in the Big East. You can also do this by trying for 4 Big East teams trying to make a 14 team league and even put more pressure in the Big East and ND.

The thing about that line of progression is that, if ND did indeed join the Big 12, ND would be taking the last spot or, at best, ND would be cherry picking who came with them. If ND joined the Big 12, BYU would be left without BCS conferenc landing spot. I don't see any other BCS conference offering BYU a spot.

MeMyself&Me
8/28/2011, 09:24 PM
I'm not missing the point. My point is, was, and will always be, Oklahoma State can go screw itself. If we are in the SEC we'll play better games week in and week out than just the one or two per season we'll play if we stick the losers Oklahoma State and Texas in the Big 12-3+whatever crap school they attempt to replace A&M with.

We have the opportunity to join the best football conference in the country. If we don't take it, we simply get carried on whatever tide DeLoss Dodds tells Joe Castiglione to be carried to.

Oklahoma State, Bedlam, whatever...the stature of that game wasn't 1/10th the stature of the Nebraska series, and that one's gone forever. If our Nebraska rivalry can be trashed, the Oklahoma State one can be for sure. Like, totally.

In fact, put me in the camp that says if we join the SEC, I could care less if we ever play Oklahoma State or Texas again. There'll be plenty of action there without those two.

That being said, if we are thrown into the Pac-12/16 (the Joe Castiglione Riding DeLoss Dodds' Coattails scenario), we'll have to have them along because the reality of that conference is, outside of USC, no schools have any decent football history. It's like a conference full of Oklahoma States plus USC. They should rename the conference USC and the Also-Rans.

Road trip to Pullman or Corvallis? Weeeeee, we traded Manhattan and Ames for West Coast Manhattan and Ames?

Road trip to Tucson? Why, is it basketball season? Maybe if I had majored in geology and wanted to study the rocks and dirt along the way through west Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.

The SEC and the Big Ten are the only two conference worth joining because of the football history of their members. Sadly, at one time, the same could have been said with the Big 8. We made a huge error joining up with the dysfunctional remnants of the Southwest Conference. Huge.

The SEC is a move up. The Pac 12/16 is a lateral move at best. Keeping the Big 12-3+one crappy is nothing more than staying with the status quo for the sake of not ruffling DeLoss Dodds' and T. Boone Pickens' feathers. Let them both stay together. In fact, they can have our annual game at the dying Cotton Bowl.

You can say we don't need OSU all you want and regardless of whether you right or not (I think you are by the way), we will still play them. We do need to play Texas schools though and Texas itself is the biggest money draw so we aren't going to change that up.

MeMyself&Me
8/29/2011, 07:00 AM
Take a look at what Notre Dame fans think of the idea of joining the Big 12:

http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35647

General Applewhite
8/29/2011, 09:57 AM
The Texas AD really put himself out there with his statement about ND. If he can't deliver, he will be humiliated. Dude has been one of the most respected men in college sports for 30 years. Hard to imagine he was cranking out BS.

westbrooke
8/29/2011, 10:37 AM
Take a look at what Notre Dame fans think of the idea of joining the Big 12:

http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35647

I admit I'm surprised by the level of support for the idea on display in that thread. I assumed their fans would automatically turn up their nose at the Big 12, would favor 1. Independent, 2. Big 10, 3. death, in roughly that order. Apparently, not the case. However, as we're currently experiencing, there's often a big difference between fan opinion and administration opinion...

soonervegas
8/29/2011, 10:45 AM
Notre Dame Administrations opinion.....shocking!

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/bohls/entries/2011/08/29/notre_dame_like.html

MeMyself&Me
8/29/2011, 11:28 AM
I admit I'm surprised by the level of support for the idea on display in that thread. I assumed their fans would automatically turn up their nose at the Big 12, would favor 1. Independent, 2. Big 10, 3. death, in roughly that order. Apparently, not the case. However, as we're currently experiencing, there's often a big difference between fan opinion and administration opinion...

Same here. They were way more open than I expected. Of course that's only fans rather than administrators but it's also just a small number of fans.

Notre Dame Administrations opinion.....shocking!

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/bohls/entries/2011/08/29/notre_dame_like.html

And that's exactly what ND's Admin should say publicly. Contrast that to what Pitt's Admin said over the weekend that was basically can be paraphrased as "no comment"... I thought THAT was a bit shocking.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/29/2011, 12:10 PM
Why does neuter lame want closer ties to the whorns? I don't understand that. I can see why BYU would want to cosy up to ND, it may give added legitimacy to mormonism. The catholics and their weird relics vs. the mormons and angel Moroni and the special goggles...

Tear Down This Wall
8/29/2011, 12:11 PM
You can say we don't need OSU all you want and regardless of whether you right or not (I think you are by the way), we will still play them. We do need to play Texas schools though and Texas itself is the biggest money draw so we aren't going to change that up.

We are a draw in Texas no matter who we play. BYU at Jerry World?

If we're in the SEC with A&M, we'll be down there every other year. We could easily entice a North Texas to move a home game of theirs to Jerry World.

Look, Texas isn't the draw everyone thinks they are. They have a good regional following, just like everyone else. And, like all traditional powers, they have some national appeal; but, not any more or less than anyone else. You're not going to go to Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, California, etc. and find a million people clamoring for Texas football.

Hello? This is why they have regional games on TV. The east coast may be heavily invested in Penn State - Michigan, but here in Dallas, I could care less. I'm driving up to Norman to watch OU. And, if they're on the road, I'm either going to watch them, or watching them on TV.

Conversely, Texas fans may think the national college football fan gives a flying rip about their game with A&M, but really, on thanksgiving weekend, the east and west coasters are probably tuned into Notre Dame-USC.

It's also the thing that will make their Longhorn Network a hard sell outside of the Hill Country. So few people in Texas really care about UT because half or more of the populations in Dallas, Denton, Collin, and Harris County were born outside of Texas.

Texas is not like Oklahoma, Nebraska, or Alabama were the majority of the population is native to the state. Where I live in Frisco, Denton County, my immediately neighbors went to Kansas, Missouri, Rice, Oklahoma State, Maryland, Texas Tech, and Penn State for college. No one gives a rip about Texas. The people who live behind us went to A&M.

Texas isn't filled with Longhorn fans the way Nebraska is brimming with Huskers fans, Oklahoma with Sooner and Cowboy fans, and Alabama with Tide and Tigers. Texas is just too big a state and has been a draw economically and politically for people from all over the country and world.

Hell, all of my parents relatives still live in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, and Tennessee. My folks were the only ones to go to Texas. We cheer for schools from the Motherships, not the Longhorns.

We respect Texas Aggie because the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Texas Longhorn can go suck a flaming buffalo turd for all we care.

Tear Down This Wall
8/29/2011, 12:15 PM
Why does neuter lame want closer ties to the whorns? I don't understand that. I can see why BYU would want to cosy up to ND, it may give added legitimacy to mormonism. The catholics and their weird relics vs. the mormons and angel Moroni and the special goggles...

:disillusionment:

MeMyself&Me
8/29/2011, 12:16 PM
We are a draw in Texas no matter who we play. BYU at Jerry World?

If we're in the SEC with A&M, we'll be down there every other year. We could easily entice a North Texas to move a home game of theirs to Jerry World.

Look, Texas isn't the draw everyone thinks they are. They have a good regional following, just like everyone else. And, like all traditional powers, they have some national appeal; but, not any more or less than anyone else. You're not going to go to Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, California, etc. and find a million people clamoring for Texas football.

Hello? This is why they have regional games on TV. The east coast may be heavily invested in Penn State - Michigan, but here in Dallas, I could care less. I'm driving up to Norman to watch OU. And, if they're on the road, I'm either going to watch them, or watching them on TV.

Conversely, Texas fans may think the national college football fan gives a flying rip about their game with A&M, but really, on thanksgiving weekend, the east and west coasters are probably tuned into Notre Dame-USC.

It's also the thing that will make their Longhorn Network a hard sell outside of the Hill Country. So few people in Texas really care about UT because half or more of the populations in Dallas, Denton, Collin, and Harris County were born outside of Texas.

Texas is not like Oklahoma, Nebraska, or Alabama were the majority of the population is native to the state. Where I live in Frisco, Denton County, my immediately neighbors went to Kansas, Missouri, Rice, Oklahoma State, Maryland, Texas Tech, and Penn State for college. No one gives a rip about Texas. The people who live behind us went to A&M.

Texas isn't filled with Longhorn fans the way Nebraska is brimming with Huskers fans, Oklahoma with Sooner and Cowboy fans, and Alabama with Tide and Tigers. Texas is just too big a state and has been a draw economically and politically for people from all over the country and world.

Hell, all of my parents relatives still live in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, and Tennessee. My folks were the only ones to go to Texas. We cheer for schools from the Motherships, not the Longhorns.

We respect Texas Aggie because the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Texas Longhorn can go suck a flaming buffalo turd for all we care.

Hmmm, don't remember saying we weren't a draw in Texas. Was trying to say we need to play Texas schools to keep a presence in Texas for recruiting purposes and that playing Texas was the big money draw, as in playing Texas pays better than playing Tech. We're going to keep playing Texas whether you want to or not. I guess you're ready to give it up?

Ruf/Nek7
8/29/2011, 12:46 PM
Rumors circleing saying an OU plane has been spotted at both Mizzou and a&m campuses. Talks about realignment are supposedly the reason for the travels. Apparently Big 12 is looking to extend an invite to Notre Dame and allow them to keep their network deal as well.

MeMyself&Me
8/29/2011, 12:52 PM
Rumors circleing saying an OU plane has been spotted at both Mizzou and a&m campuses. Talks about realignment are supposedly the reason for the travels. Apparently Big 12 is looking to extend an invite to Notre Dame and allow them to keep their network deal as well.

Where you been?

Ruf/Nek7
8/29/2011, 01:08 PM
Apparently not around. Sorry if that was a worthless post. I think I'm still in shock and awe of the monster I have created here.

MeMyself&Me
8/29/2011, 01:13 PM
LOL, yeah, this came up yesterday while the flights were still in progress. There was more discussion about the fights on landthieves than here but there was at least on thread here that was active and at least one on the tiger site and at least on on the Texags sight. Got everyone up in a tizzy. Anyway, looks like it may have been a last ditch effort in talking aTm to stay... or maybe serving papers (there was some discussion that Big 12 by-requires certain Big 12 officials be present when some types of documents are delivered. In any event, an airplane with big OU decals on the tail is hardly someone trying to hide what they're doing... don't think it had to do with OU going to the SEC as some wanted to think cause they would have done that as secretly as possible.

Apparently no one was able to get out to any of the three airports to see who got out of the airplane. Oh well.

soonervegas
8/29/2011, 01:55 PM
With Mizzou on the short list for the SEC's 14th the Big12 is offically on death watch......

I think OU had made it clear through sources, no Mizzou, no Big 12....

trwxxa
8/29/2011, 06:05 PM

Missouri's Chancellor is the President of the Big 12 and Boren is Secretary. They delivered the paperwork that A&M requested yesterday. They had requested a face to face with Loftin and this occurred.

Both sides have agreed that A&M is leaving and the Big 12 will not stand in the way. Initial numbers on the exit fee is $12MM. I do believe the number 12 is not just there by accident. There is a mutual waiver of legal claims as well.

The "rumored" 14th team is Va. Tech.

The information is a condensed version from one of the A&M pay sites sent to me by my Aggie wife.

SoonerMom2
8/29/2011, 09:11 PM
We lived in the Texas Hill Country and our county was split about 40/40 for A&M/UT and 20 for Tech and the other Texas schools.

IndySooner
8/31/2011, 10:38 AM

Good call!

soonervegas
8/31/2011, 10:50 AM
When is BYU joining?

IndySooner
8/31/2011, 10:57 AM
When is BYU joining?

They're not. The real question is where are we going?

SoonerPride
8/31/2011, 11:18 AM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/aug/31/texas-m-plans-leave-big-12-july-2012/

Seems it is now official

49r
8/31/2011, 11:29 AM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/aug/31/texas-m-plans-leave-big-12-july-2012/

Seems it is now official

Well, damn.

I'm afraid this is the first step towards the super conference era, and I don't know if I'm going to like that...

SoonerMom2
8/31/2011, 11:31 AM
It is all over breaking news from various sites that the President of A&M has notified Beebe officially they are leaving. That should be some game when the Aggies come into Owen Field -- very loud!

Tear Down This Wall
8/31/2011, 11:59 AM
Congratulations to the Aggies. Wish we were going with them.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/31/2011, 01:01 PM
Bring on the Pac-12!!

OULenexaman
8/31/2011, 01:33 PM
now it gets interesting....:disillusionment: