Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14

BASSooner
10/4/2011, 05:47 PM
http://www.komu.com/streaming-newscast/

live feed audio is on the left

instigator
10/4/2011, 05:50 PM
Found this on twitter:

Mods feel free to delete it if you like.

They put you in auto muted so you can just listen in.

Mizzou press conference call-in:
(866) 434-5269, access code 6109108

AlboSooner
10/4/2011, 06:12 PM
so? anything happened?

BASSooner
10/4/2011, 06:14 PM
nothing yet. they still havnt come out

Peach Fuzz
10/4/2011, 06:16 PM
Interesting... Bet there's some last minute phone calls offering stuff around?

BASSooner
10/4/2011, 06:17 PM
Interesting... Bet there's some last minute phone calls offering stuff around?
either that or they're going through the legal procedures involved in their next step

AlboSooner
10/4/2011, 06:18 PM
they have to be leaving right? why else a presser?

SoonerMom2
10/4/2011, 06:21 PM
The local MO TV is saying they are still meeting. This has been going on for a long time. They are almost an hour later then their original press conference.

instigator
10/4/2011, 06:21 PM
they have to be leaving right? why else a presser?

We had a presser to say we are staying. Not because the Pac12 didn't want us though. We made this decision on our own. :P

SoonerMom2
10/4/2011, 06:23 PM
The MO President is head of the Big 12 Presidents so this could be interesting. Maybe they are giving the B1G one more chance to take them?

instigator
10/4/2011, 06:24 PM
Found this:
It is now three hours and counting since MU athletic director joined the closed BOC session.

I can't understand how this stuff isn't sorted out before they schedule a con call.

Peach Fuzz
10/4/2011, 06:26 PM
I'm telling you, last minute negotiations n **** are going on. They gone

SoonerMom2
10/4/2011, 06:27 PM
I don't understand it either! You would think they wouldn't give a time and have it keep slipping!

OrlandoSooner
10/4/2011, 06:28 PM
I think they are leaving, but who knows? I've guessed wrong too many times during this realignment.

I have to work late, so I at least have 1 conference call that I look forward to listening to. When I dialed in there were 125 other participants. Anyone else joined?

SoonerMom2
10/4/2011, 06:28 PM
I'm telling you, last minute negotiations n **** are going on. They gone

I think they are gone too! Someone put on Twitter this afternoon that the MO President recused himself from a discussion of the Big 12 Presidents on Sunday.

instigator
10/4/2011, 06:30 PM
I am in there too. I got nothing going on so it's on speaker while I watch the Philies/Cardinals game.

I can't imagine them leaving after all we've heard about them getting turned down.

Sounds like they accidentally unmuted everyone for a second. :) I heard a lot of baseball.

SoonerMom2
I have the video from the local St Louis up but have been sitting through their STL news. They have a reporter at the meeting outside but nothing to report. Every so often they show an empty table with mics.

AlboSooner
If they are gone, where's the stability Boren?

SoonerMom2
10/4/2011, 06:31 PM
They have been meeting all day -- no decision yet according to the reporter.

OrlandoSooner
10/4/2011, 06:31 PM
I am in there too. I got nothing going on so it's on speaker while I watch the Philies/Cardinals game.

I can't imagine them leaving after all we've heard about them getting turned down.

Sounds like they accidentally unmuted everyone for a second. :) I heard a lot of baseball.

LOL. I heard that also. I say that we chant SEC SEC SEC everytime they unmute us the rest of the way!

instigator
10/4/2011, 06:33 PM
If they are gone, where's the stability Boren?

I am still trying to figure out WTH our press conference was about!

AlboSooner
10/4/2011, 06:33 PM
I am still trying to figure out WTH our press conference was about!

let me know when you find out

BASSooner
10/4/2011, 06:36 PM
I have the video from the local St Louis up but have been sitting through their STL news. They have a reporter at the meeting outside but nothing to report. Every so often they show an empty table with mics.
link? komu is in complete overload right now. so many people are trying to get access.

SoonerMom2
10/4/2011, 06:41 PM
The news is off and they have a picture of the table with the mic's! None of the sports people are twittering either. Silence!

instigator
10/4/2011, 06:43 PM
Just updated on the phone that we are still waiting. No ETA until they are done. Wow.

instigator
10/4/2011, 06:45 PM
we had a press conference?

Heh.

SoonerMom2
10/4/2011, 06:45 PM
Looks like SMU is going to accept a conference bid to the Big East:

@MustangfootballPonyStampede.com

Welcome to the Big East!!! (Last post on 10/04/2011 at 2:47 PM PDT): while it's not official yet, expect an offi... http://bit.ly/nZ22lW

OrlandoSooner
10/4/2011, 06:46 PM
Just updated on the phone that we are still waiting. No ETA until they are done. Wow.

Yep, I bet they are all kicked back drinking and watching the St Louis-Philly baseball game. Thankfully, it is in the 8th inning. Hope it doesn't go to extra innings...

AlboSooner
10/4/2011, 06:53 PM
Looks like SMU is going to accept a conference bid to the Big East:

@MustangfootballPonyStampede.com

Welcome to the Big East!!! (Last post on 10/04/2011 at 2:47 PM PDT): while it's not official yet, expect an offi... http://bit.ly/nZ22lWYES!!!

Sooner5030
10/4/2011, 07:00 PM
this shiat needs to end soon. I haven't been very productive at work the last month.

OrlandoSooner
10/4/2011, 07:03 PM
starting now

instigator
10/4/2011, 07:03 PM
Finally starting.

OrlandoSooner
10/4/2011, 07:04 PM
Chancellor has ability to explore conference affiliation matters and conference contracts.

instigator
10/4/2011, 07:04 PM
Whatever.

At least we know now that this doesn't mean they are leaving.

instigator
10/4/2011, 07:06 PM
Oh they don't like these 6 year media right commitments.

instigator
10/4/2011, 07:06 PM
Where is Baylor when you need them??

instigator
10/4/2011, 07:08 PM
The Chancellor relinquished hist role as Chair of B12 Directors.

Sabanball
10/4/2011, 07:09 PM
Missouri has unanimously given authority to explore conference affiliation.

Doesn't sound like a vote or results that mean they're staying in the Big 12-3.

SoonerMom2
10/4/2011, 07:11 PM
I don't see them staying if Deaton stepped down as head of the Big 12 Presidents.

instigator
10/4/2011, 07:12 PM
No one could have thought we would stay either. At this point, who knows what the eff is going on? I want this over so badly.

SoonerMarkVA
10/4/2011, 07:13 PM
Yay! We're stuck in this punchbowl with the biggest turd on either side of Mt. Everest, and hapless, 8-or-so-total-conference-titles Mizzou might just slide on in to the SEC.

September may be the lasting, defining moment of President Boren.

instigator
10/4/2011, 07:13 PM
How can he say "we're really just beginning the process of exploring?"

They've been looking for months.

AlboSooner
10/4/2011, 07:14 PM
Whatever.

At least we know now that this doesn't mean they are leaving.

Or maybe it means they are leaving

greeksooner
10/4/2011, 07:14 PM
time to start the wallflower conference

SoonerMom2
10/4/2011, 07:15 PM
I want it over as well! This is beyond ridiculous that it has gone into the football season. Looks like Big East is replacing their schools while the Big 12 continues to lose schools. If SEC goes to 14 teams and asks for another BCS game, look for the PAC 12 to take another look IMHO. Thought that Bob Stoops answer was telling today after you don't have to have UT as your rival as you can always form new rivals. Hoover reported the President's conference call did not go well on Sunday night so who knows what is going to happen.

instigator
10/4/2011, 07:16 PM
Or maybe it means they are leaving

I mean it isn't an indication that it is a done deal.

OrlandoSooner
10/4/2011, 07:16 PM
How can he say "we're really just beginning the process of exploring?"

They've been looking for months.

Just to give them enough time to flirt with the Big 10. This is like a recently broken-up person announcing that they are ready for suitors. The dating game begins in earnest...

SoonerMom2
10/4/2011, 07:18 PM
George Schroeder from the PAC 12 headquarters area is starting to twitter again on the Big 12 -- haven't seen him around for weeks.

SoonerMom2
10/4/2011, 07:20 PM
@Jake_TrotterJake Trotter

Who really believes Missouri is staying in the Big 12 after this announcement?

Sabanball
10/4/2011, 07:23 PM
Why don't you all just expel Mizzou and you can go back to being the Big 8 Conference?:beguiled:

Sooner5030
10/4/2011, 07:29 PM
Why don't you all just expel Mizzou and you can go back to being the Big 8 Conference?:beguiled:

f that...and miss out on dividing 20 mil by 8. Let them leave on their own timeline.

Lott's Bandana
10/4/2011, 07:59 PM
Misery has had weeks to confirm what Boren said at his news conference. They never did.

Boren may be the only one in the country that is surprised by any of this.

I didn't realize until recently that Texas doesn't have to play anyone a second time on the road this season, like the rest of the BigXII, and ohbytheway we play in Stoolwater again. That entire plan seems like their way to manipulate a championship any way they can.

The sad part is...we seem to buy into all this fetid steer dung without hesitation.

Tear Down This Wall
10/4/2011, 08:10 PM
Misery has had weeks to confirm what Boren said at his news conference. They never did.

Boren may be the only one in the country that is surprised by any of this.

I didn't realize until recently that Texas doesn't have to play anyone a second time on the road this season, like the rest of the BigXII, and ohbytheway we play in Stoolwater again. That entire plan seems like their way to manipulate a championship any way they can.

The sad part is...we seem to buy into all this fetid steer dung without hesitation.

I'm convinced that Boren and Castiglione are delusional. Boren had no idea he'd be slapped down by the Pac-12 conference presidents.

Their fallback is some sort of Sooner Network. And, here is where they get really delusional. The first and only $300 million deal is gone. And, it is failing. No one will make the same mistake twice. Further, cable television is a failing bit; a la cart television viewing is the wave of the future.

Everything posited by the Boren/Beebe/Castiglione-backers has been disproven:
(1) Academics wasn't the driver behind the Pac-12 charge because just over half are in the AAU. And, they let Utah in last year, a school that not only has no AAU membership, but also has no football history outside the last 10 years.

(2) It is a fact that the Big 12 conference schools have had more NCAA infractions than any other conference in the past 10 years, and the Pac-12 had the most per capita. And, yet, this "we don't want to be with cheaters" excuse was thrust out there as a reason to avoid the SEC? Wake up! We're already in the biggest cheating conference, and our idiot leaders yearned to join one who turned a blind eye to USC and Oregon's shenanigans...and gave into Vegas bookies after a game this year!

This whole thing is stupid. We are going to end up in a watered down conference. Until there is a playoff, this watered down conference will hold us back strength-of-schedule-wise when it comes to BCS championship games.

No one running our show has a clue. No one.

champions77
10/4/2011, 08:58 PM
I'm convinced that Boren and Castiglione are delusional. Boren had no idea he'd be slapped down by the Pac-12 conference presidents.

Their fallback is some sort of Sooner Network. And, here is where they get really delusional. The first and only $300 million deal is gone. And, it is failing. No one will make the same mistake twice. Further, cable television is a failing bit; a la cart television viewing is the wave of the future.

Everything posited by the Boren/Beebe/Castiglione-backers has been disproven:
(1) Academics wasn't the driver behind the Pac-12 charge because just over half are in the AAU. And, they let Utah in last year, a school that not only has no AAU membership, but also has no football history outside the last 10 years.

(2) It is a fact that the Big 12 conference schools have had more NCAA infractions than any other conference in the past 10 years, and the Pac-12 had the most per capita. And, yet, this "we don't want to be with cheaters" excuse was thrust out there as a reason to avoid the SEC? Wake up! We're already in the biggest cheating conference, and our idiot leaders yearned to join one who turned a blind eye to USC and Oregon's shenanigans...and gave into Vegas bookies after a game this year!

This whole thing is stupid. We are going to end up in a watered down conference. Until there is a playoff, this watered down conference will hold us back strength-of-schedule-wise when it comes to BCS championship games.

No one running our show has a clue. No one.

Not David Boren's finest hour. We could very well end up in a crap conference with less money all because Boren did not want to go to the very best conference, the SEC. He put all of his eggs in the PAC 12 basket, with no apparent PLAN "B". It is really hard to fathom. So where are all of those posters that were so convinced that because Boren and Castiglione are so damn smart, that we would be just fine? Just leave it up to them.

SoonerMom2
10/4/2011, 09:27 PM
After Stoops comments in the press conference today that things change and you can find new rivalries, I wouldn't bet on what is about to happen. None of us have any idea what has been going on behind the scenes. Keep hearing about how it all blew up in the conference call with the President's Sunday night but none of us know what happened.

Just want it to be over once and for all. After the way ESPN is using the Texas Longhorn Network for their hype of our game Saturday, I hope TX is left in the Big 12 with the LHN and ESPN telling themselves how great they have it.

There are only a few people who know how this is going to end up and it is not any of us -- we can just speculate and try to connect dots but in the end it is speculation.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/4/2011, 09:29 PM
When do we go DII and start our rivalry with UCO:rolleyes:

trwxxa
10/4/2011, 09:41 PM
I bet Ken Starr has been making some phone calls.

SoonerMom2
10/4/2011, 09:52 PM
Stoops repeated today what he said before - that the RRR won't necessarily always be played and that we can make new rivals.

The Mouth from Austin comments about the Big 12 surviving after last night when UT refused to budge when the rest of the conference demanded LHN nothing to do with high school games. Once again UT won't budge and time for the whole conference to tell them to take a hike or all of us! http://texas.rivals.com/forum.asp?SID=902&FID=500

October 4, 2011
Sip Brown
Orangebloods.com Columnist
Talk about it in Inside the 40 Acres

The Missouri Board of Curators formally delegated the authority to chancellor Brady Deaton to explore conference affiliation for the Tigers Tuesday evening.

Deaton also announced he has resigned his post as chair of the Big 12 Board of Directors to avoid a conflict of interest. (Obviously, the Big 12 is looking to expand, and Mizzou is looking at possibly leaving the Big 12).

But two sources close to the situation said a deal was nearly brokered on Tuesday that would have had the nine remaining schools in the Big 12 granting their TV rights on the Tier 1 and Tier 2 level for more than six years.

One source said the granting of rights would have been closer to the length of time left on the Big 12's Tier 2 TV deal with Fox, which has 13 years remaining.

But as part of the agreement, there were restrictions proposed on Tier 3 content, and Texas balked, the source said. The restrictions had to do with any and all high school content, the source said.

Texas' Longhorn Network has been at the center of debate over the airing of anything having to do with high schools. Currently, the NCAA has said LHN can show high school highlights in a news format. But LHN, which launched on Aug. 26, hasn't even been doing that - to avoid more controversy as the league works out its issues, sources said.

Texas would have to talk to ESPN before making any final decision on content restrictions, since ESPN owns and operates LHN, and those talks haven't yet happened, according to sources.

Two sources close to the situation said ABC/ESPN appears ready to renegotiate the Big 12's Tier 1 TV deal, which still has four years remaining on it.

By having the ABC/ESPN deal on the same timetable as the Fox deal, the Big 12 can improve its bargaining leverage and create a timetable for the granting of rights that could strengthen the league, the sources said.

But none of that will happen unless the schools remaining in the Big 12 can reach agreement on what will be included in the terms of everyone granting rights.

The Big 12 appears ready to expand, and the list of targets getting the most consideration right now continue to be BYU, TCU, Louisville and Cincinnati, multiple sources said.

But there is mixed opinions inside the league about whether to grow to 10 or 12 (with or without Missouri).

And here's why: ABC/ESPN agreed to keep paying the Big 12 as a 10-team league last summer for the remainder of its deal (through 2015-16). But if the league grows back to 12 and doesn't include Texas A&M, Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado, but does include the likes of BYU, TCU, Louisville and Cincinnati, it's not necessarily a better TV product.

There's concern ABC/ESPN could come back and say, "Why should we pay more money to keep everyone at their current TV revenue number when the product is arguably inferior?"

But it's clear that the remaining members in the Big 12 are looking at options to grow to 10 or 12 at the moment, sources said.

But right now it appears Missouri is waiting to see if an agreement in the Big 12 can be reached on a longer term for the granting of rights before making any final decision about bolting the Big 12 (for the SEC), sources said.

Some in the Big 12 are more optimistic than others about the ability to keep Missouri in the fold.

Here's what Big 12 interim commissioner Chuck Neinas said Tuesday:

"The University of Missouri is a member in good standing in the Big 12 Conference, and I anticipate the University will continue to be a member of the Big 12."

There does not appear to be a deadline from the Big 12 - right now - for Missouri to make a decision whether to stay or go.

Stay tuned.

GottaHavePride
10/4/2011, 11:08 PM
So where are all of those posters that were so convinced that because Boren and Castiglione are so damn smart, that we would be just fine? Just leave it up to them.

I'm waiting to see what shakes out. Because I have a sneaking suspicion that ANYTHING in this entire situation that's making it to the media is absolute bull**** being blown as a smokescreen for whatever is actually going down. Everyone in this whole situation is playing their cards close to the vest - we just have to wait to see who's actually holding aces and eights.

SoonerMom2
10/4/2011, 11:12 PM
I'm waiting to see what shakes out. Because I have a sneaking suspicion that ANYTHING in this entire situation that's making it to the media is absolute bull**** being blown as a smokescreen for whatever is actually going down. Everyone in this whole situation is playing their cards close to the vest - we just have to wait to see who's actually holding aces and eights.

Think you are 100% correct! We don't have a clue what is happening right now. The only thing out of OU was the comment by Stoops about sometimes you have to make new rivalries. He would never answer like that unless it was coordinated. This is one of those stay turned moments and anyone getting all upset needs to take a deep breath and wait to see what happens.

Tear Down This Wall
10/5/2011, 01:00 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700184815/Analysis-Agreement-helps-bolster-stability-of-Big-12.html?pg=1

In related news, interim Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas told reporters a committee designed to spearhead questions of expansion will meet this week, but it has not yet been decided if the Big 12 will stay with nine teams or expand to 10, 14 or even 12.

Neinas, who replaced Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe, told reporters on Monday the Big 12 presidents now know who is on board to stay in the Big 12. When asked if the league could make offers to other schools, Neinas answered: "That's a good question, and I think the answer is yes."

The Big 12 expansion committee is chaired by Kansas State president Kirk Schulz, with another president, Burns Hargis of Oklahoma State, on the committee. The two athletic directors on this committee are DeLoss Dodds of Texas and Joe Castiglione of Oklahoma.

All of DeLoss' main stooges are on board for the expansion committee: Schulz from his alma mater Kansas State, Hargis from his friend T. Boone Pickens' alma mater, and our Joe Castiglione who probably mistakenly believes there's a TV deal out there for a Sooner Network.

We've been had, you all. We'll be in the Big 12, no matter how bad the competition gets. Texas will continue to call the shots. Boren may occasionally yap; but, like any annoying lap dog, he'll just be ignored. Castiglione will keep quiet and play along with what DeLoss tells him to do when the Batphone rings.

It's disgusting to watch it all play out. Very sickening to think Mizzou will be in the SEC instead of us. Most sickening is that our "leaders" never even considered it.

BYU...Cincinnati...Louisville...Houston/SMU/TCU. Awful.

The funny things is that some people really believed Neinas was going to be some kind of check on Texas' power. Ridiculous. Just the opposite. He's helping seal our fate in this crappy conference...and appears to be doing so with glee!

champions77
10/5/2011, 08:28 AM
With all due respect President Boren, your insistence on not considering the SEC is frustrating to me and many other OU fans, many are alumni of OU. The SEC is:
-A natural fit geographically, as an SEC school sits 20 miles off of our border. Norman actually sits "south" of four current SEC schools.
-A fit culturally, as Oklahomans are very southern in their speech, food and friendliness. The road trip to Tuscaloosa in 2003 was described by most Sooners that were there as the best road game experience they had ever had. Bama fans said the same thing after their 2002 trip to Norman.
- The SEC is the very best conference in America and has been such for many years now. It is managed the best and the teams are the very best.
-The SEC has some very good schools academically, as at least four or five schools are rated higher than OU is presently.
-The SEC would be a much more convenient travel location for OU fans to see their beloved Sooners play.
-The SEC covets the University of Oklahoma. Your first choice, the PAC 12 does not. Your second choice the Big Ten, does not.
-With the PAC 12 and the Big Ten not interested in OU, and your rejection of the SEC, leaves OU with the Big XII, and now not only do we have a conference becoming weaker each year, we have one that will start paying OU less money.

President Boren, I know you can see the downside here that is developing. This could turn out very bad for OU, despite your feelings that everyone wants OU. Not everyone President Boren, just the very best wants OU, and aren't we the very best too? I ask you to do your due diligence and check out the SEC. See what A&M likes. Maybe when you see the big picture, you will like it too. I and countless other OU fans think you will.
Thank you Sir for your time, BOOMER SOONER !

This sent to David Boren on 9/10/11. No response received to date.

Sooner98
10/5/2011, 09:39 AM
Well, it looks like Mizzou is about to leave us in the dust.

The thought of these middle-of-the-road teams leaving and vastly improving their situations, while we sit here watching our situation get worse and worse, knowing we had every opportunity to make the jump that we needed to make, just makes me nauseous.

JudInKC
10/5/2011, 10:46 AM
Well, it looks like Mizzou is about to leave us in the dust.

The thought of these middle-of-the-road teams leaving and vastly improving their situations, is an idiot thought because Mizzou and aTm are doing football program suicide

fixed it for you.

All of you upset that OU is staying in the Big 12, call Boren and offer to donate a couple of million if they move. If you aren't prepared to do this, then quit complaining.

Besides, why would OU, who has a sordid past with the NCAA want to move to the cesspool that is the SEC? That's just inviting the NCAA investigators to make yearly visits to the campus snooping for anything. Why would we want to move our university to a conference where we are the 3rd or 4th best academic institution out of 16? Why not move to a conference where we are in the lower half so we can improve our academic reputation?

Some of you are so short-sighted.

Boomer.....
10/5/2011, 11:06 AM
I sure as hell hope that we don't sign the 6 year contract if Mizzou bails.

SoonerMarkVA
10/5/2011, 11:08 AM
fixed it for you.

All of you upset that OU is staying in the Big 12, call Boren and offer to donate a couple of million if they move. If you aren't prepared to do this, then quit complaining.

Besides, why would OU, who has a sordid past with the NCAA want to move to the cesspool that is the SEC? That's just inviting the NCAA investigators to make yearly visits to the campus snooping for anything. Why would we want to move our university to a conference where we are the 3rd or 4th best academic institution out of 16? Why not move to a conference where we are in the lower half so we can improve our academic reputation?

Some of you are so short-sighted.

3rd or 4th best may be a stretch.

If we can make that move, I will be all for it. I have been on board with the Pac-X from the beginning. But, here's a bit of apparent reality: we cannot make that move without ut. It's painfully obvious that ut is right where it wants to be; the only "going" they'll do is if LHN takes off and they go independent. And, even if the B1G would take us (which I think is at least a possibility with the right finesse), if we're chaining ourselves to lOSUr, we have NO CHANCE of getting into the B1G.

So, since the 2 conferences where we can make that move don't want us (or if we put on our rose-colored glasses, at least don't want us with lOSUr), where are we going to make that happen? Nowhere is where.

The SEC offers us stability, an elevation in prestige in football, a chance to open up stronger recruiting in a very fertile part of the country (and, yes, I know the Pac does the same with Cali, which is one of the reasons I loved that move, too), and they want us (or at least did). And the cherry on top is it offers us a chance at greater revenues.

Right now, our conference options are SEC (if they still want us), stay in the XII with ball-and-chain firmly intact between us and both ut and lOSUr, or anything else too awful to even consider. Will the landscape change in a few years so B1G or Pac would take us? Maybe. But it's nothing I can see right now. And it's hard to imagine how much worse the XII may get as we replace good to decent schools with C-USA leftovers.

JudInKC
10/5/2011, 11:48 AM
3rd or 4th best may be a stretch.

If we can make that move, I will be all for it. I have been on board with the Pac-X from the beginning. But, here's a bit of apparent reality: we cannot make that move without ut. It's painfully obvious that ut is right where it wants to be; the only "going" they'll do is if LHN takes off and they go independent. And, even if the B1G would take us (which I think is at least a possibility with the right finesse), if we're chaining ourselves to lOSUr, we have NO CHANCE of getting into the B1G.

So, since the 2 conferences where we can make that move don't want us (or if we put on our rose-colored glasses, at least don't want us with lOSUr), where are we going to make that happen? Nowhere is where.

The SEC offers us stability, an elevation in prestige in football, a chance to open up stronger recruiting in a very fertile part of the country (and, yes, I know the Pac does the same with Cali, which is one of the reasons I loved that move, too), and they want us (or at least did). And the cherry on top is it offers us a chance at greater revenues.

Right now, our conference options are SEC (if they still want us), stay in the XII with ball-and-chain firmly intact between us and both ut and lOSUr, or anything else too awful to even consider. Will the landscape change in a few years so B1G or Pac would take us? Maybe. But it's nothing I can see right now. And it's hard to imagine how much worse the XII may get as we replace good to decent schools with C-USA leftovers.

According to the latest US News and World Report rankings, the only SEC current members ranked ahead of us are Vandy and Florida. aTm is also ahead of us and Mizzou is tied with us and KU.

So, we would be the 4th best in the SEC.

champions77
10/5/2011, 12:01 PM
According to the latest US News and World Report rankings, the only SEC current members ranked ahead of us are Vandy and Florida. aTm is also ahead of us and Mizzou is tied with us and KU.

Not according to the 2012 edition. Vandy, Florida, Georgia, Auburn and Alabama all rated higher than OU.

Sco
10/5/2011, 12:07 PM
I still wouldn't be shocked if the SEC expands to 16 and take OU and OSU with Missouri...

Lott's Bandana
10/5/2011, 12:12 PM
For better or for worse, I cannot see OU going anywhere now. I think the fans are the only ones opining about moving. David and Joe are working to create a modified BigXII which they believe will last for at least 6 more years.

They make jokes about Texas, but they are beholden to Texas and OSU and seem to want to do whatever it takes to keep that trio together, even if it means a weird and watered-down BigXII.

JudInKC
10/5/2011, 12:47 PM
Not according to the 2012 edition. Vandy, Florida, Georgia, Auburn and Alabama all rated higher than OU.

how do you know about the 2012 one when it hasn't come out yet?

I was just looking at the 2011 rankings last week. None of those except the first 2 were ranked higher than OU.

champions77
10/5/2011, 01:14 PM
how do you know about the 2012 one when it hasn't come out yet?

I was just looking at the 2011 rankings last week. None of those except the first 2 were ranked higher than OU.

http://www.usnews.com/

dennis580
10/5/2011, 01:58 PM
"BYU...Cincinnati...Louisville...Houston/SMU/TCU. Awful."

That wouldn't be aweful. The only thing that would be aweful is us being the only conference without a championship game. I don't care where we end up as long as we are in a conference with a conference championship game.

Sooner98
10/5/2011, 02:35 PM

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/spp+50

17 - Vanderbilt
58 - Florida
62 - Georgia
75 - Alabama
82 - Auburn
101 - Tennessee
101 - OU

Texas A&M is 58, and Missouri is 90.

So, in a 16-team SEC, we would be tied with Tennessee at 8th.

Pardner
10/5/2011, 02:47 PM
Hmmm. Looks like a pretty good fit for us.

3rdgensooner
10/5/2011, 02:47 PM
Here's an interesting and related report: More number crunching: The SEC (http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ericcrawford/2011/09/30/more-number-crunching-the-sec/)

One look at the SEC and Big Ten charts and you’ll see that they are in a bit of a different world from everyone else. I’ll roll out the Big Ten later, but here’s the SEC, along with the others already posted (Big 12, Big East).

One thing that strikes me from looking at the numbers is that Vanderbilt, while everyone always calls them a misfit in this conference, actually does a heck of a job given its resources. It’s not a major player in football, but is in the hunt in basketball and has other quality programs. The Director’s Cup points for the SEC are always impressive. You’re talking about nine Top 40 programs, with a Top 10 overall in Texas A&M on the way.

Dio
10/5/2011, 02:51 PM
"BYU...Cincinnati...Louisville...Houston/SMU/TCU. Awful."

That wouldn't be aweful. The only thing that would be aweful is us being the only conference without a championship game. I don't care where we end up as long as we are in a conference with a conference championship game.

BYU and TCU are OK, but don't come close to replacing what the conference has lost. The rest of that is a giant ball of suck. Louisville? smh

Vegas Sooner
10/5/2011, 02:59 PM
ESPoN(Disney) just reported Mizzou is gone. Time to Talk to PAC-12 or SEC again.

champions77
10/5/2011, 03:09 PM
ESPoN(Disney) just reported Mizzou is gone. Time to Talk to PAC-12 or SEC again.

I wonder at what point that David Boren will start to wonder why all of these schools are leaving? Most Presidents would be really curious at this point in time Most would talk directly with the schools leaving to see what is motivating them to leave, and what is attracting them to other conferences. I guess as long as we can be with the morons up the road and texas....we will be fine with it all.

How could anyone say that this is not an igregious lack of foresight, due diligence and planning on our part would be beyond me. Incompetence is a word that keeps popping into my head.

SoonerMom2
10/5/2011, 03:11 PM
I think there is more going on behind the scenes then any of us have a clue. All we can do is just sit back, wait, and BEAT TEXAS!

IndySooner
10/5/2011, 03:48 PM
Wonder what Ken Starr was doing in OKC yesterday? Evidently, he was seen downtown.

Also, here's a group to join: http://www.facebook.com/pages/BanTheBig12/285897328104488

Vegas Sooner
10/5/2011, 04:06 PM
I wonder at what point that David Boren will start to wonder why all of these schools are leaving? Most Presidents would be really curious at this point in time Most would talk directly with the schools leaving to see what is motivating them to leave, and what is attracting them to other conferences. I guess as long as we can be with the morons up the road and texas....we will be fine with it all.

How could anyone say that this is not an igregious lack of foresight, due diligence and planning on our part would be beyond me. Incompetence is a word that keeps popping into my head.

Totally agree. I don't know what Boren was thinking with his presser, but we will have to see how things shape out. He may know a lot more than we think.

soonerboomer93
10/6/2011, 10:03 AM
Just heard on College Sports network that report out of Alabama are that Mizzou doesn't have enough support to join SEC.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-10-06/report-missouri-doesnt-have-enough-support-to-join-sec

ouflak
10/6/2011, 10:09 AM
Well that might just be the end of that. But I still wouldn't sign on any 6 year shackles. Not if I was Missouri. Not even if I was OU for that matter....

Wouldn't it be something funny if the SEC had another similar vote concerning OU, only it was all in favor? And then we left and joined the SEC starting in 2014? Wouldn't that be good for a few chuckles?

Sco
10/6/2011, 11:28 AM
Reports are saying that the Big 12 will invite TCU in the next few days, TCU expected to join. TCU will have to pay $5 million in exit fees to the Big East if they accept.

MeMyself&Me
10/6/2011, 11:32 AM
Reports are saying that the Big 12 will invite TCU in the next few days, TCU expected to join. TCU will have to pay $5 million in exit fees to the Big East if they accept.

OK, I'm now ready to bail on this conference at all cost. TCU is someone you add if you want to sabotage the long term future of the conference, not one you want to sign 6 years of TV rights to.

sooner_born_1960
10/6/2011, 11:34 AM
According to GHP and Dean, OU will not be in this new Big12, anyway. So, who cares about their TV deal?

badger
10/6/2011, 11:49 AM
I have no idea what the conference affiliation future will bring... BUT, I do know that OU is still the top team in the poll that matters and has a very good chance at championship #8 this season.

Isn't that what should matter? :D

Tear Down This Wall
10/6/2011, 12:14 PM
According to GHP and Dean, OU will not be this new Big12, anyway. So, who cares about their TV deal?

Weren't these the guys pumping up the move to the Pac-12?

OULenexaman
10/6/2011, 12:14 PM
Just heard on College Sports network that report out of Alabama are that Mizzou doesn't have enough support to join SEC.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-10-06/report-missouri-doesnt-have-enough-support-to-join-sec

looks like Mizzery has stepped on their dick.....again.

sooner_born_1960
10/6/2011, 12:15 PM
Weren't these the guys pumping up the move to the Pac-12?
I have no first-hand knowledge of their pumping preferences.

SoonerLaw09
10/6/2011, 12:20 PM
Long as we get back to 12 teams with a CCG, I'll be satisfied at this point. I hope Mizery leaves because they're a bunch of arrogant dip****s who talk smack even when they lose. It's obvious through all this that they have a very overinflated opinion of themselves. Perfect for the SEC.

If we don't go to 12 before next year, all it will take is one season where we go undefeated and get left out of the NC game because of strength of schedule (or the whorns do). Then the PTB will scramble to add 2 more teams. It will suck in the interim, but it will eventually happen.

badger
10/6/2011, 12:31 PM
"I'm not going to say anything bad about the Big 12, but when you compare Oklahoma State to Northwestern, when you compare Texas Tech to Wisconsin, I mean, you begin looking at educational possibilities that are worth looking at."

"That's what's left," the official said, referring to the SEC.

Perhaps Mizzou doesn't churn out the smartest of educated folk :D

soonervegas
10/6/2011, 12:47 PM
looks like Mizzery has stepped on their dick.....again.

Good news is OU is no longer tied for the lead.....

dennis580
10/6/2011, 01:09 PM
Long as we get back to 12 teams with a CCG, I'll be satisfied at this point.

Yeap this is the most important thing as far as I am concerned. Though I am not so much concern about a undefeated season getting left out.

I am far more concerned at a 1 loss OU team being left out out for a 1 loss Big Ten or 1 loss pac 12 team. I know at least some of the computers favor a 12-1 record over a 11-1 record in there calculations.

badger
10/6/2011, 03:06 PM
The Big 12 (even Texas) just banned high school highlights from Bevo TV.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=227&articleid=20111006_227_0_AUSTIN392256)

The Big 12 Board of Directors on Thursday banned the use of highlights from prep games, though scores, standings and game statistics will still be allowed if approved by the NCAA.

Maybe there is hope for this Big 12 after all :)

SoonerMarkVA
10/6/2011, 03:16 PM
The Big 12 (even Texas) just banned high school highlights from Bevo TV.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=227&articleid=20111006_227_0_AUSTIN392256)

Maybe there is hope for this Big 12 after all :)

What a blow. First LHN loses the hour of programming with Gilbert Grape missing the barn, and now no HS footage. Pretty soon they'll be left with nothing but documentaries of Mack's visits to the dentist. :smug:

FtwTxSooner
10/6/2011, 03:44 PM
Though, they still are allowing the 2nd conference game. Moving a conference game that would have never fallen to the third tier in the first place would end up raising the value of LHN.

AlboSooner
10/6/2011, 03:45 PM
What a blow. First LHN loses the hour of programming with Gilbert Grape missing the barn, and now no HS footage. Pretty soon they'll be left with nothing but documentaries of Mack's visits to the dentist. :smug:

Yes, a blow indeed. A blow which will pocket UT $300 million.

MeMyself&Me
10/6/2011, 04:10 PM
Though, they still are allowing the 2nd conference game. Moving a conference game that would have never fallen to the third tier in the first place would end up raising the value of LHN.

Well, first of all, it's a second game that can be a conference game, NOT a 2nd conference game. In any case, I don't have a problem with them using LHN to air a conference game. The problem I have is that because ESPiN controls 1st tier rights, they can can use that power as an end around to force Fox into a box when negotiating a game to the 3rd tier level.

ESPiN to Fox: "We're going to pass on the 1st tier option for the Texas/Kansas game and would like to buy your 2nd tier rights to that game for xyz dollars so we can show it on LHN."

Fox to ESPiN: "Actually, we'd like to show that game and think its worth abc dollars and would consider your offer at abc dollars."

ESPiN to Fox: "Well, if you won't sell it for xyz dollars then we'll just pick it via our Tier 1 option and you won't get to show the game or get any money."

Fox to ESPiN: "OK, we'll sell you the Texas/Kansas game for xyz dollars then." Then thinks to itself, "I can't wait to get out of this contract with the Big 12"

badger
10/6/2011, 04:10 PM

Considering that nobody cares about KU football except for a few message board angsters that I found on the intraweb a few days ago, it's a good way for KU to fund the empty seats at their football stadium... which unless they changed it, is still named after the guy that ran Tulsa's SemGroup into the ground :(

$4 million for a game none of our fans would watch anyway? Score!

soonerboomer93
10/6/2011, 06:54 PM
Well, good chance we'll be seeing an OU game on FOX (not fsn, not FX, but the channel that broadcasts NFL games) next year. That was the agreement for UT to get the Kansas game on lhn this year so I'd be suprised if they didn't go for an OU game.

Besides, the lhn problem has never been money, it's about programming content. Doesn't Kansas make like $7 mil a year for it's third tier (mainly BB I would imagine) rights?

BASSooner
10/6/2011, 06:59 PM
In other news, Navy has turned down the Big East today also. Me thinks that all eyes will be on the Big East for conference realignment.

Will ACC make a move? SEC? (WVU perhaps)

Right now, that leaves them at 6 football schools.

Soonerfan88
10/6/2011, 09:37 PM
Yes, KU makes $7M+ a year for their tier 3 games.

I'm not overly thrilled to add TCU as I think it makes recruiting Dallas a little more difficult. I also hope they continue the expansion back to 12 teams, adding BYU and AFA to the north.

soonerboomer93
10/6/2011, 10:28 PM
Realistically, we pull most of what we want from Texas, we need a way to continue expanding our fla and ca recruiting.

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2011, 08:34 AM
Realistically, we pull most of what we want from Texas, we need a way to continue expanding our fla and ca recruiting.

We get what we want pretty much from around the country.

Ashkill
10/7/2011, 12:00 PM
BYU Message boards are reporting that the Big 12 will not take them because we play our conference Basketball tournament championship game on Sunday and neither side will bend.

What we are telling a school no because of a basketball issue? Heck bring them over just for football. That would save travel on the lesser sports.

SoonerMarkVA
10/7/2011, 12:11 PM
In other news, Navy has turned down the Big East today also. Me thinks that all eyes will be on the Big East for conference realignment.

Will ACC make a move? SEC? (WVU perhaps)

Right now, that leaves them at 6 football schools.

Now's the time to talk to WVU. It's no more of a stretch than BYU geographically, and they bring solid football to the league, along with usually good basketball. If the abomination now known as XII must survive, about the best we can hope for except divine intervention (re: ND) is BYU, WVU, and (Lord help us) TCU.

3rdgensooner
10/7/2011, 12:31 PM
BYU Message boards are reporting that the Big 12 will not take them because we play our conference Basketball tournament championship game on Sunday and neither side will bend.
I've been saying this--and basketball is not the only sport that plays on Sunday.

badger
10/7/2011, 12:48 PM

WAIT A SECOND!!!! FALSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The basketball tourney end date was moved up to Saturday a few years ago to give the Big 12 a better shot at getting at-large bids, because Sunday is the day the selection committee contemplates the bids!

Or are you referring to the women?

EDIT: The women also end on Saturday.

This is entirely to accommodate the selection committee process, but for any cougars looking for a reason why the Big 12 won't take them, this ain't it.

Ashkill
10/7/2011, 12:51 PM
True, but i would think that you could schedule around Sundays for a school during the regular season. I have also heard that they do not want to play late Saturday games because they want to be back in Utah before Sunday. Again I am thinking they would be a great football only member.

Badger thanks for that update!!

badger
10/7/2011, 12:56 PM
Now's the time to talk to WVU. It's no more of a stretch than BYU geographically, and they bring solid football to the league, along with usually good basketball. If the abomination now known as XII must survive, about the best we can hope for except divine intervention (re: ND) is BYU, WVU, and (Lord help us) TCU.

I've mentioned it before, but there's strong ties to the current Big 12 that would make football and basketball more fun immediately for several members:

Texas Tech: Dana was an ex-Leach assistant.
OSU: Dana was also an ex-Gundy assistant.
KSU: The best possible tie of them all, "Traitor" Huggie was the beloved Kansas State mens basketball coach that they adored before he bolted for his alma mater... West Virginia. The purple dudes were furious at getting dumped. In retrospect, the crazy Cuban guy they have now has been a good fit for the Octagon of Doom, but that game in Little Apple would be over-the-top rowdy.

WVU is not huge, it's not AAU and it's not filled with tons of trophies (a lot of near-misses), but it could definitely work.

3rdgensooner
10/7/2011, 01:07 PM
WVU doesn't exactly fit the "regional" designation.

silverwheels
10/7/2011, 01:11 PM
If Mizzou is staying (looking pretty likely), WVU may be off the table if the SEC wants them for #14. Which is fine with me.

If the Big 12 is going to survive, it might as well go to 14 and expand its footprint. TCU replaced A&M so we still have 4 teams in Texas, and although BYU negotiations apparently broke down, they would be a good add to the North along with Louisville and Cincinnati for market/basketball purposes. Add Tulane to the South to even out the divisions, get the conference into Louisiana (and me into the French Quarter), and give the South division teams a breather, while adding an AAU school. I still prefer the original Big 12 to this, but that's not happening, and OU isn't going anywhere, so let's get it done.

badger
10/7/2011, 01:58 PM
Something tells me we are dangling the threat of losing KC basketball tournament in front of Mizzou... or at least letting the KC sports commish know we're not coming back if both of its flagships aren't in the conference:

http://cdn.travidia.com/rop-ad/11790766

OULenexaman
10/7/2011, 02:13 PM
PS. Try to not sleep with the fishes.

badger
10/7/2011, 02:16 PM
I am not sure how big of a tourist draw the KC bball tourney is, but I imagine it's quite nice.

And if Mizzou is out of the Big 12, I want it back in OKC, or perhaps give a Tulsa a try. Throw OU and OSU a bone for standing up to UT early-on in discussions :)

Penguin
10/7/2011, 02:21 PM
So, after reading this thread for the last few pages, I get that there are 2 possible scenarios going on:

#1. Continue to obey Texas, follow their lead, and hope to hell that they have our best interests at heart.

#2. We have a double secret invitation to another conference that is sitting on Boren's desk, which nobody has leaked to MyFace or the Twitters, and our genius administration is covertly negotiating to get a bajillion dollars to go to the new conference. The plan is to sneak out of the Big XII in the middle of the night, a la the Baltimore Colts.

Yeah. This has really turned out great for OU.

badger
10/7/2011, 02:22 PM
Yer jest upset that Youngstown State hasn't gotten an invite yet ;)

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2011, 02:44 PM
So, after reading this thread for the last few pages, I get that there are 2 possible scenarios going on:

#1. Continue to obey Texas, follow their lead, and hope to hell that they have our best interests at heart.

#2. We have a double secret invitation to another conference that is sitting on Boren's desk, which nobody has leaked to MyFace or the Twitters, and our genius administration is covertly negotiating to get a bajillion dollars to go to the new conference. The plan is to sneak out of the Big XII in the middle of the night, a la the Baltimore Colts.

Yeah. This has really turned out great for OU.

You forgot to add that with the traditionally crappy programs we invite into the Big 12, we season ticket holder can expect lower prices.

You're forgetting to look at the silver lining in all of this, dude.

(NOTE: Also, you're not giving enough credit to TCU. If you read the threads closer, you should have learned that doesn't matter that they've lost to Baylor and SMU already this year. What matters is they went to the Rose Bowl one year out of their 100 or so years of existence. When it comes to TCU, you've got to focus on 2010, not the reality of what TCU will revert to now that it's in a Big Boy Conference again...that it doesn't widen the "footprint"...it's a TV market the Big 12 already owns...we already recruit Tarrant County better than they do...etc., etc., etc.)

badger
10/7/2011, 03:27 PM
What matters is they went to the Rose Bowl one year out of their 100 or so years of existence.

Technically so have we :O

So has Nebrasky :D

Whorn has us both beat with two Rose Bowl appearances in 100 or so years.

Gawd, we just can't stack up against those darn Pac/Big Ten teams in that category :D

For the fun of it, Wall, what would make you happy in this situation? What would be an ideal outcome for you at this point?

silverwheels
10/7/2011, 03:31 PM
TDTW wanted the SEC and he's not going to stop complaining until it happens, so gird your loins.

badger
10/7/2011, 03:35 PM
Meh, it could still happen.

silverwheels
10/7/2011, 03:39 PM
Not any time soon, though.

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2011, 03:50 PM
TDTW wanted the SEC and he's not going to stop complaining until it happens, so gird your loins.

http://www.shockya.com/news/wp-content/uploads/war_games_reboot.jpg

badger
10/7/2011, 03:55 PM
Ooo, is this a text-based game? I wish those still existed.

GO NORTH

<YOU GO NORTH. YOU SEE A FLASk.>

TAKE FLASK

<YOU ARE NOW HOLDING THE FLASK.>

DRINK FLASK

<FLASK CONTAINS POISON. YOU DIED>

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2011, 04:10 PM
Technically so have we :O

So has Nebrasky :D

Whorn has us both beat with two Rose Bowl appearances in 100 or so years.

Gawd, we just can't stack up against those darn Pac/Big Ten teams in that category :D

For the fun of it, Wall, what would make you happy in this situation? What would be an ideal outcome for you at this point?

Calling the SEC. That's the ideal outcome. If they rebuff us, fine. Then, we're stuck here.

My problem is:
-Boren acts as if the only options are Pac-12, Big Ten, or Big 12.
-Boren acts as though we are tied to Oklahoma State come hell or high water, even though they have T. Boone money to sustain them no matter what happens.
-Overall, we are not fighting for our future, but for some middling status quo.

I look at all of it differently. I'm for strength being attracted to strength. My fear is, Boren and Castiglione, deep down, would like the bully power Texas has.

In that regard, making money becomes more important than championships. Texas wins few football championship, but they make a lot of money. I don't want it to come to that, which is why I loathe the idea of floating a Sooner Network similar to what will soon be a failed Longhorn Network.

We have nothing left to prove on the athletic fields against Big 12 foes. We've already beat the snot out of all of them regularly. TCU/Louisville/Cincinnati/BYU, etc. would not change that at all.

The SEC would bring challenge. It would bring more money as well. We may be sharing it rather than controlling it, but why should that matter? In my view, the focus of Texas, and I fear more and more us as well, is on the money grab and not the game and players.

OU versus LSU annually is infinitely more exciting that OU versus Texas Tech. An annual OU border game with Arkansas is infinitely more intense than OU-Baylor. And, more marketable. In the scheme of things, no one really cares about Texas Tech and Baylor. Almost every SEC teams is national TV ready.

We are of that elite crowd of schools, but we're not acting like it. We're going to be content to stay where we are just because the Pac-12 slapped Boren down and the Big Ten will only take AAU-less Nebraska and not AAU-less Oklahoma.

Presidents and athletic directors come and go. Ours, right now, have their eye off the ball. They think they have their eye on the ball, but they don't. Adding the TCUs and Louisvilles of the world in place of Nebraskas and A&Ms is foolish.

People can post up whatever numbers they want about TCU and Louisville and their records built in conferences with poorer competition. The fact is, A&M and Nebraska are better equipped and more likely to rise to national prominence again and stay there than TCU and Louisville.

Sorry, man. I'm happy OU is a great. I enjoy taking my family to the games, staying in OKC, and making a weekend out of it. That part will never change.

It just gnaws at me that there is something better out there, and we are letting it go. And, letting it go not because it's unattainable. Better is attainable, we just don't do it.

I'm sure it gnaws at other OU fans as well. I just hate to accept our fate in this conference when better is out there and available to us. It'll just take me longer to accept mentally than others.

Boomer Sooners all around, anyway.

badger
10/7/2011, 04:13 PM
It's cool. I just wish that reallignment crap wasn't going on during the season... especially an OU season as awesome as this one.

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2011, 04:17 PM
Ooo, is this a text-based game? I wish those still existed.

GO NORTH

<YOU GO NORTH. YOU SEE A FLASk.>

TAKE FLASK

<YOU ARE NOW HOLDING THE FLASK.>

DRINK FLASK

<FLASK CONTAINS POISON. YOU DIED>

Nah, dude...this is the stuff:

http://whiskeygoldmine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/patron-anejo-patron-reposado-patron-silver.jpg

My Mexican wife's brothers and friends have introduced me to this stuff at cookouts. It's like magic. Straight up magic. I can't even stomach Cuervo anymore.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/8/2011, 04:32 PM
TDTW thinks the conference makes the team. I think the team makes the conference.

**** the sec! And even if we joined them i'd still hope for every sec team to lose. The fact they took the faggies should tell you everything you need to know about the sec. **** them!

MountainOkie
10/9/2011, 11:53 AM
AIR FORCE AD SAID "NO THANKS" TO BIG 12

CBS Sports quoting Denver Post.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/32601781

Following the news of TCU's plans to accept an invitation to join the Big 12, the presidents of the remaining Big East schools participated in a conference call Friday morning to discuss the league's future. Contrary to some reports no official decisions or announcements came from the meeting, but all signs point to the conference extending invitations to membership in the near future.

One of the schools frequently listed as a target for football is Air Force. CBSSports.com's Brett McMurphy reported that the conference was targeting Navy and Air Force before Syracuse and Pittsburgh bolted for the ACC. Even with the league now looking at only six football programs moving forward, Air Force athletic director Hans Mueh is still interested in the idea of joining the Big East.

"Our interest is high in the Big East. That's fair to say," Mueh told The Denver Post on Saturday. "This stuff is moving fast."

Mueh pointed out that his ideal scenario involves Air Force, Navy and Army all making the move to participating in the Big East for football, but there were no certainties in the discussions. The Falcons were listed by some as a possible target for Big 12 expansion after Texas and Oklahoma announced their intentions to stay in the league. Mueh confirmed on Saturday the school was approached by the Big 12, to which the AD said "no thanks."

"We were approached by the Big 12, and I told them we're not a good fit for that conference. In the Big 12, geography makes sense, the economics make sense, but the recruiting makes no sense for us. I can't recruit against Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State," Mueh explained.

"That's why I turned down the Big 12. I can't do that to my kids, because they'll get beat up. I'd love the extra $12 million or whatever it would be per year from the TV money. And I know how I'd spend the money. I'd build a new soccer stadium, and I'd build a new baseball facility, all in one year. But I can't do that."

Interesting take from the Air Force AD. He also said the Big East "absolutely" wants Army. But there are strong sentiments within the Army community that making the move to Big East conference play may be detrimental to the program in similar ways the Falcons were concerned about the Big East.

Action is expected from the league in the coming weeks regarding football expansion. In addition to the service industries, East Carolina, Central Florida, and Temple have been listed as candidates. The key for the league will be to find a program that fits with the other schools, while still maintaining the football success necessary to retain their automatic bid to the Bowl Championship Series.

reevie
10/9/2011, 03:36 PM
"We were approached by the Big 12, and I told them we're not a good fit for that conference. In the Big 12, geography makes sense, the economics make sense, but the recruiting makes no sense for us. I can't recruit against Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State," Mueh explained.

"That's why I turned down the Big 12. I can't do that to my kids, because they'll get beat up. I'd love the extra $12 million or whatever it would be per year from the TV money. And I know how I'd spend the money. I'd build a new soccer stadium, and I'd build a new baseball facility, all in one year. But I can't do that."

You know, I love this statement. It is good to see the AD thinking about his players and putting them in the most competitive fit for the program.

champions77
10/9/2011, 04:20 PM
Calling the SEC. That's the ideal outcome. If they rebuff us, fine. Then, we're stuck here.

My problem is:
-Boren acts as if the only options are Pac-12, Big Ten, or Big 12.
-Boren acts as though we are tied to Oklahoma State come hell or high water, even though they have T. Boone money to sustain them no matter what happens.
-Overall, we are not fighting for our future, but for some middling status quo.

I look at all of it differently. I'm for strength being attracted to strength. My fear is, Boren and Castiglione, deep down, would like the bully power Texas has.

In that regard, making money becomes more important than championships. Texas wins few football championship, but they make a lot of money. I don't want it to come to that, which is why I loathe the idea of floating a Sooner Network similar to what will soon be a failed Longhorn Network.

We have nothing left to prove on the athletic fields against Big 12 foes. We've already beat the snot out of all of them regularly. TCU/Louisville/Cincinnati/BYU, etc. would not change that at all.

The SEC would bring challenge. It would bring more money as well. We may be sharing it rather than controlling it, but why should that matter? In my view, the focus of Texas, and I fear more and more us as well, is on the money grab and not the game and players.

OU versus LSU annually is infinitely more exciting that OU versus Texas Tech. An annual OU border game with Arkansas is infinitely more intense than OU-Baylor. And, more marketable. In the scheme of things, no one really cares about Texas Tech and Baylor. Almost every SEC teams is national TV ready.

We are of that elite crowd of schools, but we're not acting like it. We're going to be content to stay where we are just because the Pac-12 slapped Boren down and the Big Ten will only take AAU-less Nebraska and not AAU-less Oklahoma.

Presidents and athletic directors come and go. Ours, right now, have their eye off the ball. They think they have their eye on the ball, but they don't. Adding the TCUs and Louisvilles of the world in place of Nebraskas and A&Ms is foolish.

People can post up whatever numbers they want about TCU and Louisville and their records built in conferences with poorer competition. The fact is, A&M and Nebraska are better equipped and more likely to rise to national prominence again and stay there than TCU and Louisville.

Sorry, man. I'm happy OU is a great. I enjoy taking my family to the games, staying in OKC, and making a weekend out of it. That part will never change.

It just gnaws at me that there is something better out there, and we are letting it go. And, letting it go not because it's unattainable. Better is attainable, we just don't do it.

I'm sure it gnaws at other OU fans as well. I just hate to accept our fate in this conference when better is out there and available to us. It'll just take me longer to accept mentally than others.

Boomer Sooners all around, anyway.

+1 Geography, and prestige and a ton of money...What's not to like?

Gamedays in Norman? Would be crazy good!!!

Lott's Bandana
10/9/2011, 06:03 PM
ESPN Behind ACC's Raid On Big East

from the Boston Globe:

“Pittsburgh and Syracuse both are good fits, and they both have outstanding basketball programs. That’s definitely a plus.’’

The overwhelming force behind the move, DeFilippo insisted, was television money.
The ACC just signed a new deal with ESPN that will increase the revenue for each school to approximately $13 million. With the addition of Pittsburgh and Syracuse, said DeFilippo, another significant increase will come.
“We always keep our television partners close to us,’’ he said. “You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV - ESPN - is the one who told us what to do. This was football; it had nothing to do with basketball.’’

They are who we think they are.

FtwTxSooner
10/9/2011, 06:03 PM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/bohls/entries/2011/10/06/big_12_invites.html?cxntfid=blogs_bohl_games

Texas has agreed to equal revenue sharing of Tier I and II television rights to football and men’s basketball games and has agreed to forego its desire to show any high school football games or even highlights on its new Longhorn Network. In exchange, the league will allow Texas to show two or three football games on the network.

Let me get this straight, texass agrees not to cheat, and in turn, the conference allows them to artificially increase their third tier revenue by moving 1st and 2nd tier games to LHN? What tough negotiators we have.

OklahomaTuba
10/9/2011, 08:00 PM
That's just ESPN/Disney taking care of their investment.

Lott's Bandana
10/9/2011, 08:27 PM
Summary:

ESPN creates LHN and aTm bolts, causing 6 weeks of cataclysmic posturing in the BigXII, leading some to believe the conference is imploding.

ESPN creates the ACC Network, then tells the ACC to raid the Big East in order to generate more revenue for the conference ESPN covers.

It appears ESPN is quietly attempting to manipulate the entire sport of D-1A College Football at its roots for its gain. While probably good business, this relationship in the financial world would have an SEC investigation triggered immediately. (SEC irony noted)

A major corporation that already has the rights for ACC/SEC and LHN as well as the BCS for several more years, is attempting to destroy historical conference alignments in order to pump fans into their network offerings.

If Yahoo Sports doesn't touch this, nobody will.

Bottom line: the next decade will bring enormous change in the landscape of CFB and the entity driving this change is not the NCAA, it is the Mouse. Spend 5 minutes watching The Disney Channel and look forward to that each Saturday...Wonder Bread Football, rinse repeat.

Lott's Bandana
10/9/2011, 08:35 PM
Continuing:

Since ESPN signed their deal with the ACC, they realized the ACC has not traditionally been a power conference in the last decade. Therefore, they got the ACC to strengthen their membership in order to boost ratings at their otherwise BCS Orange Bowl yawner starring that very same weak ACC champion, which ESPN will broadcast for several more years.

ESPN seems to have told Texas to not drop their LHN to go to the PAC, therefore leaving the BigXII an AQ conference with their star player at the head (ignore the playing field, this is all about eyeballs) and with a BigXII viable, their BCS Fiesta Bowl continues to have a tie-in which they rolled the dice will often? be their own beauty contest entry.

Frankly, ESPN doesn't give a rats about the PAC and they don't have to because the Rose Bowl is set in concrete.

I don't have to say the Sugar Bowl has been locked up for some time.

Tear Down This Wall
10/9/2011, 08:50 PM
TDTW thinks the conference makes the team. I think the team makes the conference.

**** the sec! And even if we joined them i'd still hope for every sec team to lose. The fact they took the faggies should tell you everything you need to know about the sec. **** them!

2007: A 2-loss SEC team goes to the championship game and wins it. That tells me all I need to know.

GreenSooner
10/9/2011, 08:51 PM
Now that Hate Texas Week is over, can we finally return to 24/7 conference reallignment talk?

It's so much more interesting than football! ;)

MeMyself&Me
10/9/2011, 10:10 PM
A lot of people are twittering that SMU is in talks with the SEC now. Really?

BASSooner
10/9/2011, 11:29 PM
Those $$$ loaded guys think they can practically do anything they want. They're EXACTLY like UT just without the prestigious athletic program.

Sooner95
10/10/2011, 07:11 AM
lol SMU..

Anyways, now that TCU is with us..my question is this. Would most prefer that Mizzou leave so we can go to 12 or have them stay and stay at 10?

MeMyself&Me
10/10/2011, 08:38 AM
Those $$$ loaded guys think they can practically do anything they want. They're EXACTLY like UT just without the prestigious athletic program.

Sounds JUST like UT then.

MeMyself&Me
10/10/2011, 08:41 AM
lol SMU..

Anyways, now that TCU is with us..my question is this. Would most prefer that Mizzou leave so we can go to 12 or have them stay and stay at 10?

I would prefer to go to 12 with Missouri. I don't understand why that has to be a choice. But yeah, I keep hearing it put that way. I really think the Big 12 has to get back to having a championship game. We're lucking out this year that it looks like the best teams are playing on championships Saturday. It won't always work that way.

GreenSooner
10/10/2011, 09:37 AM
I would prefer to go to 12 with Missouri. I don't understand why that has to be a choice. But yeah, I keep hearing it put that way. I really think the Big 12 has to get back to having a championship game. We're lucking out this year that it looks like the best teams are playing on championships Saturday. It won't always work that way.

Agreed. We need twelve (or more) programs. And the sad fact is that if we have to replace Mizzou, we'll almost certainly be getting something worse in return. Not that Mizzou is such a great program, but the alternatives are even less impressive. If anyone has a reasonable explanation for why the conference wouldn't want twelve teams if Mizzou stays, I'd love to hear it.

MeMyself&Me
10/10/2011, 10:21 AM
If anyone has a reasonable explanation for why the conference wouldn't want twelve teams if Mizzou stays, I'd love to hear it.

Guess number 1: Everyone makes less money with expected additions and that Missouri staying would signal that stability is achieved and no expansion necessary. Missouri leaving would be enough for them to retool what it takes to keep the conference together even if that means less money for everyone.

Guess number 2: Maybe Missouri wants it at 10 and everyone is suggesting to go along with Missouri on that point to get them to stay.

Sco
10/10/2011, 10:26 AM
We can always add a conference championship game with 10 teams. There aren't any rules against that.

dennis580
10/10/2011, 10:45 AM
The only thing I want is a Conference Championship game in football, and I don't really care about we go about it. We simply cann't have the Pac 12, Big Ten, SEC, and ACC all having conference championship games, and the Big 12 not having one.

dennis580
10/10/2011, 10:47 AM
We can always add a conference championship game with 10 teams. There aren't any rules against that.

Actually there are rules against it. The NCAA rule is you MUST have a minimum of 12 teams to have a conference championship game.

Boomer.....
10/10/2011, 12:47 PM
TCU expected to announce their move to the BIG 12 today at 6pm.

TCU trustees will meet on Monday and then are expected to accept the Big 12's invitation to join the conference, sources confirmed Sunday.

In a statement Monday, the school said it will make a "major announcement" at 7 p.m. ET at the Kelly Center on campus.

A move to the Big 12 allows TCU to rekindle some of the rivalries it had for so long in the Southwest Conference, which disbanded in 1996.

TCU, the defending Rose Bowl champion, agreed earlier this year to leave the Mountain West Conference for the Big East, which has an automatic BCS berth.

A source told ESPNDallas.com last week that TCU would have to pay a $5 million exit fee to leave the Big East, but would be able to join the Big 12 in time for the 2012-13 athletic year.

If Missouri stays in the Big 12, the league would have 10 teams with TCU taking the place of Texas A&M, who is headed to the SEC next year. Missouri is exploring its options.

A Big 12 source told ESPN.com last week that the conference got more "expert information about fit/value/enhancement to our league," late Wednesday. The Big 12 knew of TCU's keen interest.

"There wasn't any reason to wait if we knew it would be the right choice," said the source, who added that "additional expansion is still possible."

TCU is undergoing a $143 million renovation to Amon G. Carter Stadium, which will have more suites, a new press box and close to 50,000 seats when completed. The school expects it to be ready in time for the 2012 opener.

A move to the Big 12 would also be a financial windfall for TCU.

Big 12 chancellors and presidents agreed last week that schools would equally share revenue from the conference's television deals as long as member universities give the league those top-tier rights for at least six years. The agreement is subject to approval by the schools' governing boards.

The revenue-sharing plan would give each school about $20 million in June and that figure is expected to grow by 2013 when the league's new 13-year contract with Fox Sports kicks in. The Big 12's contract with ABC/ESPN expires in 2016 and likely will bring in additional money when renegotiated.

Information from senior writer Andy Katz, who covers men's college basketball for ESPN.com, and The Associated Press, was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/7083034/tcu-trustees-meeting-accept-big-12-invite-monday

Ashkill
10/10/2011, 01:52 PM
I think we should add BYU "football only" if Missouri stays. Then go after WV to bring us to 12. I see this as the only combination to get the conference close to what it was. I had also heard we may be able to bring in ND non football sports. That would give us twelve in all sports.

badger
10/10/2011, 01:58 PM
I think we should add BYU "football only" if Missouri stays. Then go after WV to bring us to 12. I see this as the only combination to get the conference close to what it was. I had also heard we may be able to bring in ND non football sports. That would give us twelve in all sports.

I am intrigued by the idea of bringing in both BYU and ND without actually bringing them in all the way. My guess would be that both would then schedule Big 12 teams in non-conference games in the sports that they aren't Big 12 in, which would also be good and perhaps someday lead to either (or both???) becoming full Big 12 members.

I have been a proponent of West Virginia from the beginning, just because of their existing ties to the conference through their money sport coaches.

Good ideas! Welcome to SF.com, btw.

JiminyChristmas
10/10/2011, 02:42 PM
For deciding a true champion, the 10 team round robin format is better than the 12 team split division rotating schedule in my opinion. Especially given the inequity in the 2 potential divisions.

That's the only advantage I see of 10 teams over 12.

If we could get enough TV money to spread around, I would love to see a 20 team Big 12, with two 10 team divisions (where you play everyone in your division, no crossover games) and a championship game against the winner of the other side.

MeMyself&Me
10/10/2011, 04:44 PM
For deciding a true champion, the 10 team round robin format is better than the 12 team split division rotating schedule in my opinion. Especially given the inequity in the 2 potential divisions.

If we could get enough TV money to spread around, I would love to see a 20 team Big 12, with two 10 team divisions (where you play everyone in your division, no crossover games) and a championship game against the winner of the other side.

I like that but it seems everyone thinks it necessary to play all teams at all locations in your conference in a 4 year period.

silverwheels
10/10/2011, 04:57 PM

That's basically two separate conferences, though.

With the Big East looking to solidify itself and expand, BYU and the Big 12 apparently not seeing eye to eye, and the SEC backing off of Mizzou, I think the Big 12 stays at 10 teams for a while once TCU joins.

hotshot13422
10/10/2011, 06:05 PM
TCU officially accepts the invitation to join the big12

NYC Poke
10/10/2011, 06:31 PM

Is it SMU people who are doinng the twittering? Several of them have been spamming Big XII message boards lobbying to get in.

SoFla Sooner
10/10/2011, 09:36 PM
Who would want death penalty hangover SMU? Seriously. They just need to be happy they are playing football at the FBS level, and are in a conference at all.

8timechamps
10/10/2011, 10:02 PM
If we are going to expand to 12 teams, I pray that those in charge are burning the phone lines getting the next two. There aren't a lot of options for quality teams out there, and with the Big East now actively looking to add 6 teams...we have to strike now. If we wait, we may very well end up with freakin' SMU and Houston!

northspeter
10/10/2011, 10:02 PM
san diego st. AD has been hounding big 12 AD's to be included in expansion conversation... one of his points was that SDSU is the same distance from Dallas as BYU is...

delhalew
10/10/2011, 10:05 PM
I like playing everyone in the conference.

Sco
10/11/2011, 12:22 AM
Actually there are rules against it. The NCAA rule is you MUST have a minimum of 12 teams to have a conference championship game.

I thought a conference with less than 12 members could vote on having a championship game... but now that I've looked into it, you're right, minimum of 12.

LASooner
10/11/2011, 03:06 AM
but the recruiting makes no sense for us. I can't recruit against Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State," Mueh explained.

This is probably the most honest thing I've read since all this conference crap started.

SoonerBread
10/12/2011, 12:21 AM
I'm being lazy and don't want to read through the eleveny-million posts in this thread, so please indulge my question...

Has there been any thought to Arizona and Arizona State being invited should the conference expand back to 12 teams? Not advocating this, just curious...

Ashkill
10/12/2011, 09:58 AM
I'm being lazy and don't want to read through the eleveny-million posts in this thread, so please indulge my question...

Has there been any thought to Arizona and Arizona State being invited should the conference expand back to 12 teams? Not advocating this, just curious...

Most believe it would be impossible to pull anyone from The PAC, Big 10, SEC and the ACC due to their large buyout and our lack of stability. We are left looking at the big east, minor conferences or independents like BYU.

Tear Down This Wall
10/12/2011, 01:00 PM
Most believe it would be impossible to pull anyone from The PAC, Big 10, SEC and the ACC due to their large buyout and our lack of stability. We are left looking at a big bag of nothing.

Fixed.

BASSooner
10/12/2011, 04:40 PM
Give or take 5 years around the time when OUr granted TV rights expire and watch UT start making demands while OU will start looking around again.

badger
10/12/2011, 04:46 PM
I bet Mizz is melting down over the fact that it's been publicly said they have at least another year in the Big 12. I would lurk at their boards but all the non-crap ones require you to register (um, NO)

trwxxa
10/12/2011, 07:57 PM
Most believe it would be impossible to pull anyone from The PAC, Big 10, SEC and the ACC due to their large buyout and our lack of stability. We are left looking at the big east, minor conferences or independents like BYU.

The SEC does not have a buyout clause. They don't need to, nobody wants to leave.

Soonerborn03
10/12/2011, 11:08 PM
san diego st. AD has been hounding big 12 AD's to be included in expansion conversation... one of his points was that SDSU is the same distance from Dallas as BYU is...He's only off by about 200 miles. Closer than I thought, but still....not that close.

BYU - 973 miles (further than I thought)
SDSU - 1184 miles

Air Force - 603 miles
USF = 915 miles
WVU = 893 miles

Just for fun...

Wyoming = 763 miles
FSU = 753 miles
Penn State = 1181 (3 miles closer than SDSU)

I think his point kind of sucks

ouflak
10/13/2011, 02:04 AM

The SEC does not have a buyout clause. They don't need to, nobody wants to leave.

Neither the B1G or the PAC (atleast as far as I could find) have buyout clauses either and for the same reason. Why the heck would anybody want to leave?

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/13/2011, 03:26 AM
I say way pack our bags and head to the Mountain West conference and join Boise St. in bitching about getting no respect...that is where we are headed anywhere ;)

BASSooner
10/13/2011, 03:28 AM
I say way pack our bags and head to the Mountain West conference and join Boise St. in bitching about getting no respect...that is where we are headed anywhere ;)
best. idea. ever.

Ashkill
10/13/2011, 09:59 AM
Neither the B1G or the PAC (atleast as far as I could find) have buyout clauses either and for the same reason. Why the heck would anybody want to leave?

Wow, sorry my original quote should have been

Most believe it would be impossible to pull anyone from The PAC, Big 10 or the SEC. Pulling someone from the ACC, due to their large buyout and our lack of stability, also seems like its not a possibility. We are left looking at the big east, minor conferences or independents like BYU.

Hope that is better. :calm:

OULenexaman
10/13/2011, 10:03 AM
I bet Mizz is melting down over the fact that it's been publicly said they have at least another year in the Big 12. I would lurk at their boards but all the non-crap ones require you to register (um, NO) The funny part there is we now know that SEC never did actually offer Mizzery an invite in the 1st place.....more mud on their face.

FtwTxSooner
10/13/2011, 10:13 AM
The funny part there is we now know that SEC never did actually offer Mizzery an invite in the 1st place.....more mud on their face.

They can use the mud left over from the mess Boren created with the Pac 12.

Tear Down This Wall
10/13/2011, 12:31 PM
They can use the mud left over from the mess Boren created with the Pac 12.

Amen.

dennis580
10/13/2011, 12:45 PM
I like playing everyone in the conference.

With everybody else having a conference championshiop we NEED a conference championship. Believe me it will catch up to us, and cost us shots at the NC.

We were luckly this season as the Big 12 had their greatest OOC season ever going a insane 27-3, but it we don't get a conference championship it will hurt us in the future as far as chance to play for the NC.

OULenexaman
10/13/2011, 12:55 PM
They can use the mud left over from the mess Boren created with the Pac 12. That wasn't mud....looked like it though...

soonerboomer93
10/13/2011, 07:21 PM
Apparently they're talking about Boise and Houston to the big east.

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2011, 07:34 PM
That doesn't significantly improve Boise's competition.

the-rover
10/13/2011, 08:42 PM
Apparently they're talking about Boise and Houston to the big east.

I don't get this....is there some sort of shortage of schools that are actually in the east?

8timechamps
10/13/2011, 08:49 PM
I don't get this....is there some sort of shortage of schools that are actually in the east?

The Big East sees the writing on the wall. Now down to 6 schools, they know if they don't garner new members, they'll be history (at least in the AQ world). If the Big XII is really going to expand to 12, they need to get while the gettin' is good. If they wait too long, expanding to 12 won't be an option.

Tear Down This Wall
10/13/2011, 11:56 PM
Here's the problem: there's no one left worth having. TCU, I'm sorry, isn't worth having either.

Us, Notre Dame, Texas, and Missouri are really the only teams worth getting to anyone. Some will argue West Virginia is worth having. Okay, argue it. Does West Virginia really give anyone a football TV set hard on? They bring nothing to the table.

No one else brings anything to the table. They are all suckfarts. We are suckfarts for staying in the Big 12 and assisting in giving school like TCU the magical gift of their suckfart lifetime.

Hooray, bring on the University of Houston Suckfarts. Or, the SMU Suckfarts. Or, the Boise State Suckfarts. Or, the Tulane Green Suckfarts. Or, the Tulsa Golden Suckfarts. Weeee...what a conference.

Someone open a window and light a match...burn incense or something to dissipate the smell of what's happening.

OULenexaman
10/14/2011, 10:35 AM
Boren pull your finger??

silverwheels
10/14/2011, 03:23 PM
Missouri apparently isn't worth getting. Looks like the SEC isn't going to take them.

TCU adequately replaces A&M (and we don't have to deal with the Aggies' weird **** anymore, which is nice), so I don't see the problem there. Big 12 should stay at 10 for a couple of years and see how this mess continues to unfold. Maybe the Pac-12 will reconsider in a few years. If not, then we can look for 11 and 12. Maybe 13 and 14, too, if that's where the SEC is.

Tear Down This Wall
10/14/2011, 03:35 PM
Missouri apparently isn't worth getting. Looks like the SEC isn't going to take them.

TCU adequately replaces A&M (and we don't have to deal with the Aggies' weird **** anymore, which is nice), so I don't see the problem there. Big 12 should stay at 10 for a couple of years and see how this mess continues to unfold. Maybe the Pac-12 will reconsider in a few years. If not, then we can look for 11 and 12. Maybe 13 and 14, too, if that's where the SEC is.

How in the world does TCU "adequately" replace Texas A&M? TCU doesn't even sell out it's little stadium. A&M fills it's gigantic stadium. Minus the 2000s TCU's football history is about nothing. And, with losses this year to SMU and Baylor already, they are reverting to form.

If you are an AAU snob, A&M is AAU, TCU isn't close.

TCU is a give up act of desperation by the morons in charge of the Big 12 schools and DeLoss Dodds' new lapdog, Chuck Neinas.

silverwheels
10/14/2011, 03:42 PM
A&M hasn't been consistently good since the 80s/early 90s. They're a .600 program with one national title 70 years ago and a Heisman 50 years ago. It's a "what have you done for me lately" world and TCU beats them in that regard. They're a private school, so of course they're not going to have 90,000 fans every weekend. But they have been selling out their 45,000 seat stadium recently and it's getting renovated. Also, A&M hadn't been selling out its stadium until this year when they were told they were getting away from Texas and going to the SEC.

And Dodds didn't want TCU. Accepting them was one of their concessions, if you want to call it that. The other schools wanted to keep a 4th school in Texas for recruiting purposes. The Big 12 will be basically the same in 2012 as it was in 2011.

You're just butthurt over OU not going to the SEC and it's getting really ****ing old.

Tear Down This Wall
10/14/2011, 03:51 PM
Dodds is delighted to have TCU because they pose no threat to Texas on or off the field, recruiting or otherwise. It's laughable to believe otherwise.

silverwheels
10/14/2011, 03:54 PM
So then everyone wins. Next?

Tear Down This Wall
10/14/2011, 03:55 PM
DeLoss Dodds wins. We tag along. Second verse, same as the first.

ddub0224
10/14/2011, 03:56 PM
so TCU suckfarts > A&M suckfarts? or the other way around?

silverwheels
10/14/2011, 03:56 PM
Cheer for someone else, then, if our situation is bothering you so much.

Tear Down This Wall
10/14/2011, 04:05 PM
so TCU suckfarts > A&M suckfarts? or the other way around?

TCU suckfarts >>>>>>> A&M suckfarts

the-rover
10/15/2011, 05:02 AM
suckfart = suckfart

atm subtracts very little, tcu adds very little......may as well have added tulsa

The only schools mentioned that may have added something would be ND, BYU or West Virginia....maybe one of them florida schools.

northspeter
10/15/2011, 11:21 AM
as long as OU and texas are in the league, its better than every other league not named the SEC or B1G... any addition that gets us to 12 will be just fine... the league wont survive at 10 members for more than another season...

Sabanball
10/17/2011, 07:08 PM
Missouri moving closer to joining SEC, per Pete Thamel and the NYT....
Mizzou's application to join said to be "inevitable and imminent" and the process of withdrawing from the Big 12 will start later this week...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/sports/ncaafootball/missouri-moves-closer-to-joining-sec.html?_r=2&ref=sports

Sooner5030
10/17/2011, 08:35 PM
Top targets if Mizzou leaves

Louisville
BYU
Cincy
WVU

WTF is mizzou thinking? It will take 5 years (at current TV rates) at least to recover the lost revenue from a conference change.

mdklatt
10/17/2011, 08:44 PM
Missouri moving closer to joining SEC, per Pete Thamel and the NYT....
Mizzou's application to join said to be "inevitable and imminent" and the process of withdrawing from the Big 12 will start later this week...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/sports/ncaafootball/missouri-moves-closer-to-joining-sec.html?_r=2&ref=sports

Don't take anything seriously until it's a done deal. If the media was right we'd be in the Pac-12 (twice) or the SEC by now.

mdklatt
10/17/2011, 08:48 PM
WTF is mizzou thinking?

They're thinking they need to get out of this abortion of a conference. Look at our list of "best" options that you posted. The sad thing is that you're probably right.

silverwheels
10/17/2011, 09:02 PM
Add a few ****ty schools to replace Mizzou and let's get on with it.

Sabanball
10/17/2011, 09:55 PM
Don't take anything seriously until it's a done deal. If the media was right we'd be in the Pac-12 (twice) or the SEC by now.

I hope you're right, I really do. I'm a huge opponent of Mizzou coming to the SEC--in terms of southern culture, they fit in worse than you guys do, and that's saying something.... That being said, I think it's a done deal...Pete Thamel usually gets it right.

King Barry's Back
10/17/2011, 10:12 PM
I hope you're right, I really do. I'm a huge opponent of Mizzou coming to the SEC--in terms of southern culture, they fit in worse than you guys do, and that's saying something.... That being said, I think it's a done deal...Pete Thamel usually gets it right.

CAVEAT: I could not get onto the NYT website, so I didn't read the story, but...

I think Mizzou leaving for the SEC is very regretable, for both the school and for the conference.

Missouri, in football, can not even compete in the Big XII. WTF are they thinking going to the SEC? Are they going to make a little more money? Maybe, but what we've seen is that these TV contracts are so fluid, you really can't say for more than the next year or two.

And SEC? HELLO? You are inviting MISSOURI? I guess you must want the KC/StL TV markets, 'cuz otherwise I just don't see them bringing anything to your table.

The old Big 6/7 were one team conferences. I think OU only lost one or two games during the entire history of the Big 7 Conference. The Big 8 was owned by OU and Nebraska. This new Big XII will be owned by OU and TX. Maybe we are getting back to our roots?

To me, the only real argument in favor of trying to keep some reconfigured Big XII is because its nice for the students, fans and student-athletes to play most of their games in between the Rockies and Appalachians. So any reforms should have as their aim to maintain the geographical unity of the new conference footprint.

If you want to throw in one outlier - like WVU or South Fla - that's fine as it maintains the mid-western nature of the conference overall, but growing beyond that - the balance starts to tilt in favor of breaking up the Big XII and joining something like the PAC.

Missouri's departure really hastens the march towards that tipping point.

King Barry's Back
10/17/2011, 10:19 PM
Forgot to mention:

Why is the Big XII so unstable, anyway? I mean, it was a perfectly acceptable conference. What the hell happened?

Arguments I've heard for departing:

1. Other conference TV contracts pay more. This changes from year to year, so I don't think that's a very good criterion.

2. Get away from bossy TX. If the other schools are so p'd off at TX, just vote against them at the conference table. 11 of you and one of TX speaks volumes. Just man up.

3. Building a national brand. (A&M's rationale, and they already have a national brand.)

Other than getting away from TX, I don't see why the other two wouldn't apply exactly the same in any new conference you might join.

silverwheels
10/17/2011, 10:32 PM
I think the SEC really wanted to get into North Carolina or DC, but those chances are slim with the ACC strengthening itself, so it's basically down to West Virginia or Missouri for them, since they're going outside of their current footprint. So Missouri isn't the SEC's first choice and the SEC isn't Missouri's first choice. Sounds like a great partnership.

Sooner5030
10/17/2011, 10:34 PM
Other than getting away from TX, I don't see why the other two wouldn't apply exactly the same in any new conference you might join.

Appeasing the mob in the short term. When your position is based on 1-3 year measurements why not bolt now?

Mizzou & aTm want to be the next MSU, Ole Miss, Kentucky & Vandy......as long as they get an "in" to the SEC.

Soonerfan88
10/17/2011, 11:00 PM
I really don't think the university is looking out for their state in this move. This is where the governor needs to quit being a fan and think of his constituents. There is absolutely no way the SEC is going to have any kind of tournament in the state. This means goodbye to all that money they earn from the basketball tournament and no hope of getting the football CCG back in KC. Heck, St Louis doesn't even care about bidding for these things in the Big 12 and KC is so far away from the center of the SEC, they wouldn't even think of it if they didn't have someplace like Atlanta instead. You also aren't going to get a rivalry game in KC like MU/KU - and you will lose that rivalry completely.

Add in the massive step back they will take in athletics as a whole and I don't see a single thing good about this decision.

AlboSooner
10/17/2011, 11:14 PM
This moves makes sense for the SEC. They usurp more TV markets, and they don't threaten their top programs with stiffer competition. As far as Mizzou goes, this move does not have football progression in mind but rather long term stability and more money. Mizzou will never win an SEC title. Never.

King Barry's Back
10/18/2011, 01:00 AM
Mizzou & aTm want to be the next MSU, Ole Miss, Kentucky & Vandy......

Mizzou is well on their way to becoming this, and a&m will be close with them.

Remember Arkansas? They were a perennial Top 10 team. They joined the SEC and could barely win a game.

Mizzou and a&m aren't even good in their current conference. They are going to disappear in the SEC.

Sabanball
10/18/2011, 09:17 AM
I've always said that any potential new team in the SEC must first be a southern school. Otherwise it doesn't make sense, and we gradually dilute our conference and start to lose our core identity. Missouri is a midwestern state and has more in common with Kansas and Iowa than it does with Mississippi and Alabama. KC/St Louis TV markets bring more eyeballs but they are not college sports towns. Mizzou stands to benefit from this much more than the SEC does.

OULenexaman
10/18/2011, 09:30 AM
KC is a HUGE college sports town....St.Louis not so much. This is just another story for the attention whores at Mizzery...

AlboSooner
10/18/2011, 09:43 AM
It makes no differnce if KC/St.Louis are college sports markets. They serve the SEC as a negotiating tool, the SEC is not happy that a conference like Pac 12 gets the kind of TV money it did, so next time it will say to TV people, look our conference stretches out from Florida to the Ozarks. If it didn't benefit the SEC to ransack Big 12 teams, the SEC would not do it.

I don't think Mizzou is bigoted enough to fit in that SEC southern culture.

Tear Down This Wall
10/18/2011, 09:46 AM
It's good for Mizzou and the SEC. They've got winning records against nearly all SEC opponents. They've got strong academics. Their facilities are good. Their football program has a steady guy at the helm who looks like a lifer for them in Pinkel.

It should be us. But, we're going to be satisfied with weaker schedules and waiting for DeLoss Dodds to choose who replaces Mizzou. It won't be anyone that makes any sense geographically or competitively.

We're one of a small handful of schools who can move pretty much at will and we're standing with...not even the status quo...we're watching that deteriorate. No, we're helping that deteriorate.

So, I guess we "steal" Houston or SMU from the Big East now? Puke.

Ashkill
10/18/2011, 10:19 AM
So the question now remains if Missouri leaves will that break the conference's back? No one has yet signed the 6 year sentence of Death.

So does Oklahoma make a move?

or do we now look to get up to a 12 team conference?

and will that Kill the Big East?

Do we look to make it work with the best left BYU and WV?

or do we just bring in a San Diego state/ SMU?

Phil
10/18/2011, 11:23 AM
I really don't think the university is looking out for their state in this move. This is where the governor needs to quit being a fan and think of his constituents. There is absolutely no way the SEC is going to have any kind of tournament in the state. This means goodbye to all that money they earn from the basketball tournament and no hope of getting the football CCG back in KC.

Ummm, as long as Kansas and Kansas State are still in the Big XII-II-I-I+I, KC will still keep bidding for the hoops tourney (and getting it, although OKC will have a better shot at getting it more often) and will try (although JerryWorld will be hard to beat) to get a reconstituted football title game.

Add in the massive step back they will take in athletics as a whole and I don't see a single thing good about this decision.

Step back from where? Missouri has won the fewest Big XII championships in all sports of any school in the conference. I believe our number of conference football championships equals the number of championships they've won in all sports.

Phil
10/18/2011, 11:24 AM
BTW, there are rumblings that Louisville may be making some kind of conference-related announcement today. Rumors that they may be coming our way.

Ashkill
10/18/2011, 11:33 AM
We could add San Diego, Conn and South Florida and change our name to the coast to coast conference.

soonervegas
10/18/2011, 11:34 AM
I will take Boone for his word. He said TCU initially, then named a few other old SWC schools to get back to 12.

That's what I expect at this point....

Boomer.....
10/18/2011, 11:38 AM
I will take Boone for his word. He said TCU initially, then named a few other old SWC schools to get back to 12.

Boone wanted TCU, SMU, Rice, and Houston. That's not going to happen.

Ashkill
10/18/2011, 11:40 AM
BTW, there are rumblings that Louisville may be making some kind of conference-related announcement today. Rumors that they may be coming our way.

I would expect that they and Cinn would be a package deal.

MeMyself&Me
10/18/2011, 11:45 AM
I would expect that they and Cinn would be a package deal.

That would be deal breaker if I were making the decisions for the Big 12. I think Louisville is a good get but it ain't good enough to carry Cincy. But I'm not making the decisions and no is asking me.

Sooner5030
10/18/2011, 11:53 AM
http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ulbeat/2011/10/18/contract-extension-for-strong/

Today’s UofL Athletic Association meeting should produce good football news — just not one that has to do with joining the Big 12.

Football coach Charlie Strong is expected to receive a contract extension. He originally signed a 5-year deal worth $1.6 million not including incentives when he was hired in December 2009. The original deal also included a $1.25 million retention bonus if he stays five years.

Terms of the new deal are not yet known, including the length of the extension.

Louisville is still prolly tops if/when MIZZOU announces. Based on current deals mizou would lose 15-30 million only to make 2.5 million more per year. Yeah you can say the SEC will renogiate but the BIG 12 tier one is also up in like 2015/16. We'll get at least PAC+ money.

Sooner5030
10/18/2011, 12:06 PM
also, if mizzou leaves for 2012 then the remaining nine get to divy up the revenue withheld from both aTm and Mizzou. That's a decent increase (3-5 mil)

Phil
10/18/2011, 12:07 PM
Beat me to it. False alarm.

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ulbeat/2011/10/18/contract-extension-for-strong/

badger
10/18/2011, 01:09 PM

Boone is a giant blabbermouth. That does not bode well for things always happening the way he blabs to the media.

Remember when Kirk Herbie couldn't resist breaking the news of Les Miles going to Michigan before it actually happened? Before LSU was set to play in the SEC title game?

Kirk's blabbermouth led to LSU demanding that Lester sign a new contract with LSU on the spot, or not coach the SEC championship game.

Boone's blabbing is annoying and detrimental to Big 12 expansion.

Ashkill
10/18/2011, 01:19 PM
Boone tries to act like he's Jerry Jones, but Jerry is the actual OWNER!!

dennis580
10/18/2011, 01:41 PM
The only thing I care about is the Big 12 getting back 12 teams. With the SEC, Big Ten. Pac 12, and ACC all having a conference championship it leaves us as the only major conference not have a conference championship(Big East is not a major conference at this point).

GreenSooner
10/18/2011, 02:16 PM
We could add San Diego, Conn and South Florida and change our name to the coast to coast conference.

We could call ourselves Conference USA!

soonervegas
10/18/2011, 02:31 PM
North
OU
OSU
KU
KSU
ISU
Louisville

South
UT
TT
TCU
Baylor
Rice
Houston

Take your medicine people......

Ashkill
10/18/2011, 03:17 PM
If Missouri leaves I think this is best case.
I think OU, Texas and OSU would have to stay in the same division. We need it for SOS.

North
Kansas
Kansas st
Iowa st
BYU*
Louisville
WV

South
OU
OSU
Texas
Tech
Baylor
TCU

*BYU could be football only

trwxxa
10/18/2011, 07:41 PM

Louisville is still prolly tops if/when MIZZOU announces. Based on current deals mizou would lose 15-30 million only to make 2.5 million more per year. Yeah you can say the SEC will renogiate but the BIG 12 tier one is also up in like 2015/16. We'll get at least PAC+ money.

Not so fast my friend. This is when Texas plays the "We're going independent" card, especially if LHN is break even or better. This dilutes the conference and lowers the TV revenue. They work their own deal and make more than they make now. Or, they hold the conference hostage and end up with more than the other schools by staying.

Sabanball
10/18/2011, 07:52 PM
KC is a HUGE college sports town....St.Louis not so much. This is just another story for the attention whores at Mizzery...

Show some data to prove that. I've looked at Nielson ratings for that market for televised college football and that market can't touch smaller metro ones in and around the South.

Sabanball
10/18/2011, 07:56 PM
It makes no differnce if KC/St.Louis are college sports markets. They serve the SEC as a negotiating tool, the SEC is not happy that a conference like Pac 12 gets the kind of TV money it did, so next time it will say to TV people, look our conference stretches out from Florida to the Ozarks. If it didn't benefit the SEC to ransack Big 12 teams, the SEC would not do it.

I agree with everything you said but that last statement. Would you mind explaining exactly what you mean by that?

MeMyself&Me
10/18/2011, 09:02 PM
North
OU
OSU
KU
KSU
ISU
Louisville

South
UT
TT
TCU
Baylor
Rice
Houston

Take your medicine people......

OU in the north division away from the Texas schools? About the worst idea possible for OU.

delhalew
10/18/2011, 09:34 PM
I agree with everything you said but that last statement. Would you mind explaining exactly what you mean by that?

Considering who you're dealing with here, I wouldn't waste my time.

badger
10/19/2011, 08:15 AM
I don't think CBS or ESPN want to renegotiate TV contracts with the SEC. I think they will find something in their contracts that says they don't have to and the SEC will be stuck with what they have with more mouths to feed. Sure, their contract might have annual raises written in based on ratings, or perhaps it is a per-team share that it written in, but then what, exactly, does an expended SEC do besides dilute their product with football teams that haven't competed for the national title in many, many years and haven't won the Big 12 since 98?

delhalew
10/19/2011, 08:28 AM
I don't think CBS or ESPN want to renegotiate TV contracts with the SEC. I think they will find something in their contracts that says they don't have to and the SEC will be stuck with what they have with more mouths to feed. Sure, their contract might have annual raises written in based on ratings, or perhaps it is a per-team share that it written in, but then what, exactly, does an expended SEC do besides dilute their product with football teams that haven't competed for the national title in many, many years and haven't won the Big 12 since 98?

The phrase I always hear is "look in". That being a clause that allows for renegotiation upon the addition of a school.

AlboSooner
10/19/2011, 11:32 AM
Haters gonna hate.

champions77
10/19/2011, 04:21 PM
Mizzou to the SEC? No way, I mean just a couple of weeks ago, President Boren issued a statement that he didn't think Missouri was going to the SEC. You mean he's wrong....again?

At least our esteemed President is consistent.

Does anyone think that we will regret our decision to stay put in the BIG XII?

Will adding Houston, SMU and Louisville to the BIG XII change your mind about OU rejecting the SEC?

BASSooner
10/19/2011, 04:43 PM
Mizzou to the SEC? No way, I mean just a couple of weeks ago, President Boren issued a statement that he didn't think Missouri was going to the SEC. You mean he's wrong....again?

At least our esteemed President is consistent.

Will adding Houston, SMU and Louisville to the BIG XII change your mind about OU rejecting the SEC?
Yes. Big time if we havn't already.

badger
10/20/2011, 12:11 PM

He said he thought they were 50-50. That's not exactly wrong.

Link (http://newsok.com/ous-david-boren-not-wavering-on-big-12-thinks-missouri-50-50/article/3610609)

I saw KU fans think that there was a remote chance that KC would still host Big 12 stuff if Mizzou left. Probably not. Have to punish the traitors somehow and taking a big money thing from the state is a good way to do it.

SoonerPride
10/20/2011, 01:57 PM

OU will only regret not going to any other conference only if

1. We end up in a non-AQ BCS conference. If the Big 12 stays AQ then we get the chance each year to play in a big bowl for millions of $$$. That's all te school realyl cares about.

or

2. a less likely caveat, but still, if OU is held out of a national title BCS game because strength of conference schedule hurts us. We will still have a strong enough schedule though because unlike Auburn, who plays in the almighty SEC BTW, was held out becuase they played the freaking Citadel. OU won't make that mistake.

So really, I doubt OU cares much or regrets much in the next few years.

As long as the Big 12 is BCS AQ.

badger
10/20/2011, 02:03 PM
I don't see any BCS-status conference getting held out of national title contention in the near future if what is said to be going down at the end of the season actually happens. A Big East team (Cincy) might live with being left out. A WAC team (Boise) might live with being left out. A Pac-10 pre-expansion team might live with being left out (USC). A MWC team (TCU, Utah) might live with being left out, but a Big Ten team? The new fangled Pac-12? The expanding ACC? They are going to whine a LOT if their undefeated conference champion, who had to win a conference championship game to get undefeated, is left out.

This might be the dawn of the end of the BCS if this plays out as some fear (or hope) it will. And then, the Big 12 champion, along with other BCS conference champions, will have a championship tournament playoff berth.

If this happens, and they don't do a 6-team format like the NFL conferences do, then we are looking at the best case scenario of the major conferences. No conference championship and a playoff berth. Woot!

If they expand the playoff, we are still looking at a good scenario, because if there's a tie for the Big 12 championship, they'd likely not leave either champion out. Give one the auto, the other an at-large berth.

You could say the Big 12 would have an extremely unfair advantage in that scenario :)

soonervegas
10/20/2011, 02:28 PM
I think there is 0% chance that KC holds b-ball tourney's going forward if Missouri leaves.....could bode well for OKC.

badger
10/20/2011, 03:35 PM
I think there is 0% chance that KC holds b-ball tourney's going forward if Missouri leaves.....could bode well for OKC.

Or Tulsa. The KU fans came down en masse for the tourney this past March when KU got placed here.

I 100 percent favor yanking the basketball tourney bids from KC if those ungrateful Miseryans move southeast. Chant S-E-C all the way to Atlanta if you wanna see a conference basketball tourney!

Shakadoodoo
10/21/2011, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by AlboSooner

Originally Posted by Sabanball

You have to ask that when you go to Old Miss games and see people flying around a confederate flag? They were arguing about it being in their logo just a few years back.

Bear Bryant had to schedule a game with USC so Sam "Bam" Cunningham (Randell Cunningham's older brother) and the rest of John McKay's crew could just run all over Alabama just to convince Alabamans to let black players play - Hell - that was in 1971 - OU's first black player was in 1954 - He was a token brother - but he was black.

I think the SEC'S first Black Head Football coach was in 2003 - you haven't even had your 10 year anniversary yet....

The first black athletic director in the SEC was in 2003 - I am not sure when the first black AD in the Big 12 was but I know that Dr Hill was our Athletic Director at OU in 1990....

Honestly, I would be careful to say that the SEC is any more or less bigoted that any other conference but the SEC was a lot more suborn with their bigotry. Like Texas, it took a while for the SEC to catch on.

daboman of Aggieland
10/21/2011, 01:06 PM
Missouri curators announce:

1. They intend to play a "regional rival" in Kansas City every football season. They already play KU in KC... unless they leave the Big 12.

2. They intend to host an annual basketball tournament in KC every year. They already play in the Big 12 tournament in KC... unless they leave the Big 12.

Translation, adios Bevo.

I *really* wish it had been OU instead of MU.

3rdgensooner
10/21/2011, 01:42 PM
Source?

daboman of Aggieland
10/21/2011, 01:47 PM
Missouri Board of Curators, 12:35 update
http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/2156

12:35 UPDATE: Steve Owens, interim Missouri system president, announced the Board of Curators has delegated to chancellor Brady Deaton the authority to make decisions regarding conference alignment and negotiate contracts. The board also directed Deaton to explore the possibility of an invitational basketball tournament including MU in Kansas City and to explore all efforts to hold a football game in Kansas City against a traditional regional rival.

Deaton would not comment on whether there was a vote taken on to leave the Big 12. In the event Missouri would leave the Big 12, Deaton said he would not have to return to the board for approval. Also, the board indicated it would support a decision to leave the Big 12, if that is what Deaton decides.

Board chair Warren Erdman: If MU does leave the Big 12, the board is committed to preserving Missouri's athletic heritage in Kansas City.