PDA

View Full Version : End of the BIG XII - THREAD FOR ALL REALIGNMENT DISCUSSION

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14

sooner59
9/10/2011, 12:56 AM
To pay salaries, buy supplies and maintain the campus. This includes paying the electric bills, campus police and landscaping upkeep. Major improvements and new technology is brought in with sports revenue. In OU's case, that is football. Cal Berkeley is not going to buy OU a new science lab for Christmas.

The PAC would ensure that Boren could get OU AAU status. With that, comes tons of $$$ for grants for research, etc. Cal doesn't have to do ****.

hawaii 5-0
9/10/2011, 12:58 AM
Wow. They just said that Mizzou's SR kicker had only missed 3 FGs in his career before tonight (and he has been their kicker since at least his sophomore year). But tonight, he has missed 2 FGs.

What does this have to do with OU going to the SEC?

5-0

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 12:58 AM
Its not about academic "standards", its about academic "status". That means "as a research university". Students don't have as much to do with this as the professors are their academic research...and the grants that follow them.

Grants do not equal sports revenue. OSU is another prime example. Boone Pickens has billions. He has given OSU millions. They have a better stadium. They are also a major point of contention with the original Pac 8 schools because of their low academic ranking.

mdklatt
9/10/2011, 12:59 AM
OU doesn't need money to raise the academic standards. They can raise the bar. The can improve their curriculum. It forces students to work harder and weeds out those dragging the ranking down.

It's not just student performance that goes into academic rankings. Anyway, I thought we had to go to the SEC because the football team supports the university. Now you're saying we don't need the money?

We have a self-supporting athletic department thanks in large part to the football team, but other than scholarships for athletes, do you know how much money goes from athletics back into academics? I know it's a nonzero amount, but I don't know how much it is. (This is neither here nor there to the discussion, I'm just curious.)

sooner59
9/10/2011, 01:00 AM

5-0

Well, I was reading this thread when I heard it. I jumped the shark.

Soonerfan88
9/10/2011, 01:01 AM
mdklatt, I think it's around $7M a year.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 01:02 AM
Grants do not equal sports revenue. OSU is another prime example. Boone Pickens has billions. He has given OSU millions. They have a better stadium. They are also a major point of contention with the original Pac 8 schools because of their low academic ranking.

And OSU is also the reason we can't get into the Big 10...because of their low academic ranking. You do know that the PAC 12 is handing out $30 Million per school with their new deal right? SEC isn't getting more than that.

mdklatt
9/10/2011, 01:02 AM

:les: It's after midnight! He probably just posted in the wrong thread!

I will say that having our Pac-16 away games end at 1:00 AM would be the suck.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 01:05 AM
It's not just student performance that goes into academic rankings. Anyway, I thought we had to go to the SEC because the football team supports the university. Now you're saying we don't need the money?

We have a self-supporting athletic department thanks in large part to the football team, but other than scholarships for athletes, do you know how much money goes from athletics back into academics? I know it's a nonzero amount, but I don't know how much it is. (This is neither here nor there to the discussion, I'm just curious.)

Not saying we don't need the Universities. I am saying that the mixture of OU and SEC will bring in exponentially more revenue regarding football and basketball. I do not have the exact figures, but I will dig around for them after I hit reply.

I will say this. They make enough to have one of the highest paid coaches in college football. Stoops does not rely on tuition fees.

MeMyself&Me
9/10/2011, 01:07 AM
To pay salaries, buy supplies and maintain the campus. This includes paying the electric bills, campus police and landscaping upkeep. Major improvements and new technology is brought in with sports revenue. In OU's case, that is football. Cal Berkeley is not going to buy OU a new science lab for Christmas.

Oh good, I thought my tuition got lost there somewhere which is amazing. Sure seemed like a lot of money at the time.

mdklatt
9/10/2011, 01:07 AM
Major improvements and new technology is brought in with sports revenue. Cal Berkeley is not going to buy OU a new science lab for Christmas.

Umm, no. Unless you're talking about major improvements and new technology to athletic facilities. Bob Stoops and co. ain't gonna buy OU a new science lab for Christmas either. Maybe some new science books for the library or smart boards for the English department.

hawaii 5-0
9/10/2011, 01:09 AM
Well, I was reading this thread when I heard it. I jumped the shark.

Gotcha. It was an exciting game.

5-0

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 01:11 AM
Umm, no. Unless you're talking about major improvements and new technology to athletic facilities. Bob Stoops and co. ain't gonna buy OU a new science lab for Christmas either. Maybe some new science books for the library or smart boards for the English department.

The University of Texas Longhorns, worth $92 million, was football's most profitable team last season, earning $46.2 million, of which $4.7 million went to academics. When the Longhorns play at home, Travis County sees an estimated $9.4 million of incremental spending associated with the game, a virtual tie with St. Joseph County during Notre Dame home games.
http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/20/notre-dame-fooball-biz-sports-cx_ps_1120collegeball.html

College football's $1.1 billion profit
http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/29/news/companies/college_football_dollars/index.htm

mdklatt
9/10/2011, 01:13 AM
Not saying we don't need the Universities. I am saying that the mixture of OU and SEC will bring in exponentially more revenue regarding football and basketball.

Round and round we go. Why does it have to be all about athletic revenues? We're fortunate that it's self-supporting, but the athletic department does not carry the rest of the university. Athletic success helps with donations overall and generates potential student interest, but I think that would be true whichever conference we go to. I don't see why the athletic department wouldn't be self-supporting in the PAC-12.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 01:14 AM
ND aligns itself with no one and towers OU in academic rankings.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 01:17 AM
ND does not have AAU academic ranking. Therefore Kansas/Mizzou/A&M/TU >>> ND academically. Just because there are a lot of ND fans, doesn't mean they have a superior academic standing.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 01:18 AM
Round and round we go. Why does it have to be all about athletic revenues? We're fortunate that it's self-supporting, but the athletic department does not carry the rest of the university. Athletic success helps with donations overall and generates potential student interest, but I think that would be true whichever conference we go to. I don't see why the athletic department wouldn't be self-supporting in the PAC-12.

Because they make their money from people watching the game - whether that be at home or in the stands. We go west, and possibly lose the RRSO, you can bet your sweet *** ticket sales will drop. People are not going to venture out to Tempe each year like they would Dallas. Arizona is not a football state, I have yet to meet one Okie in my six year stint in this town. People in CA already know who's gonna win. The viewership will still be in Oklahoma - minus the people who lost interest.

mdklatt
9/10/2011, 01:22 AM
The University of Texas Longhorns, worth $92 million, was football's most profitable team last season, earning $46.2 million, of which $4.7 million went to academics. When the Longhorns play at home, Travis County sees an estimated $9.4 million of incremental spending associated with the game, a virtual tie with St. Joseph County during Notre Dame home games.
http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/20/notre-dame-fooball-biz-sports-cx_ps_1120collegeball.html

College football's $1.1 billion profit
http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/29/news/companies/college_football_dollars/index.htm

What percentage of UT's total academic and research spending is $4.7M? Athletic money at OU might offset some of the money that donor colleges have to contribute to the likes of Arts and Sciences, but it's no match for research money.

How is the impact on the local economy relevant to the university? I mean, it's nice to not to live in an impoverished hellhole, but I don't think that matters in our current discussion.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/10/2011, 01:25 AM
‎30% of the alleles of homo sapiens are believed to be inherited from Neanderthals, who are extinct, except for a small faction spotted at certain SEC games.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 01:25 AM
ND does not have AAU academic ranking. Therefore Kansas/Mizzou/A&M/TU >>> ND academically. Just because there are a lot of ND fans, doesn't mean they have a superior academic standing.

Where did I say they had AAU membership. US News and report has Notre Dame ranked 19th. They have ranked OU at 111th

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 01:32 AM
What percentage of UT's total academic and research spending is $4.7M? Athletic money at OU might offset some of the money that donor colleges have to contribute to the likes of Arts and Sciences, but it's no match for research money.

How is the impact on the local economy relevant to the university? I mean, it's nice to not to live in an impoverished hellhole, but I don't think that matters in our current discussion.

It all revolves around one point. Aligning ourselves with high ranking universities does not equal a higher ranking. Again, what's going on with FSU? I never mentioned the current economic condition other than the state doing a better job improving the curriculum at their Universities. I don't think that is a matter of money. If it was,they could easily pool more revenue from athletics.

mdklatt
9/10/2011, 01:33 AM
We go west, and possibly lose the RRSO, you can bet your sweet *** ticket sales will drop.

The RRSO existed for 80 years without the Big 12, it could exist if we weren't with Texas anymore. I don't see any desire from the UT or OU administration, coaches (Bob Stoops' jab notwithstanding) or fans to kill the RRSO.

We'd have more trouble selling out visitor allotments, but those would probably be snapped up by OU fans. What percentage of football revenue comes from away games vs. home games? How do schools split the revenues for a game?

sooner59
9/10/2011, 01:33 AM
I have no idea where US News and Report get their info for their rankings. Is that undergrad rankings? If so, that means next to nothing in this conference discussion. Its about research money. It can't be about research if they are ranked 19 and not in the AAU. So that holds no weight in this discussion.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 01:40 AM
I have no idea where US News and Report get their info for their rankings. Is that undergrad rankings? If so, that means next to nothing in this conference discussion. Its about research money. It can't be about research if they are ranked 19 and not in the AAU. So that holds no weight in this discussion.

It's the report that OU uses in their description.

In 2010, the University of Oklahoma was ranked among the top 100 public universities in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. The 2010 U.S. News and World Report ranked OU 111th among "National Universities," and has categorized it as "more selective."

In a survey of the top 500 academic institutions in the world by the Shanghai Jiao Tong University in 2006, Oklahoma ranked 301st. They were tied with 99 other schools, including Big 12 schools such as Texas Tech University and Kansas State University. University of Colorado was the highest Big 12 school, being ranked number 34

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Oklahoma

Guys, we can sit here and split hairs over figures. I have already given you example after example how conference affiliation does not equal elevation in ranking. The facts remain. OU would have a bigger following in the SEC. It would have more exposure equaling more revenue. We would also have a better recruiting field. What the University does with the revenue is irrelevant. OU playing Cal is not going to be the must see game that OU vs Bama would be. There is no getting around that.

mdklatt
9/10/2011, 01:41 AM
It all revolves around one point. Aligning ourselves with high ranking universities does not equal a higher ranking. Again, what's going on with FSU?

I don't know, what is going on with FSU? Are you saying that they joined the ACC and their academic reputation dropped? Other than Duke, UNC, and GaTech is the ACC great shakes academically? Does the ACC have an academic support structure or is it just athletics? Why is this situation necessarily comparable to us and the Pac-12? I think FSU has had some issues of their own making.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 01:50 AM
It's the report that OU uses in their description.

In 2010, the University of Oklahoma was ranked among the top 100 public universities in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. The 2010 U.S. News and World Report ranked OU 111th among "National Universities," and has categorized it as "more selective."

In a survey of the top 500 academic institutions in the world by the Shanghai Jiao Tong University in 2006, Oklahoma ranked 301st. They were tied with 99 other schools, including Big 12 schools such as Texas Tech University and Kansas State University. University of Colorado was the highest Big 12 school, being ranked number 34

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Oklahoma

Guys, we can sit here and split hairs over figures. I have already given you example after example how conference affiliation does not equal elevation in ranking. The facts remain. OU would have a bigger following in the SEC. It would have more exposure equaling more revenue. We would also have a better recruiting field. What the University does with the revenue is irrelevant. OU playing Cal is not going to be the must see game that OU vs Bama would be. There is no getting around that.

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that OU would have a bigger national following if we went to the SEC. We are big already. That would add to it. Recruiting? I'm not sure how much it would change. We already have a national recruiting base...even pulling from SEC states. The Cali talent would at least equal what the SEC talent has to offer. What matters academically is "perception". And the perception is that PAC>SEC. Boren has indicated that. And the SEC has very shady recruiting perceptions. After Bomar, ect., Boren wants none of that. I'm not speaking from a personal "wish" mentality. I'm just saying what Boren has indicated and what people have a perception of nationally. It matters. Football-wise? Yes, SEC is the answer. Overall? Boren and the people that make the decisions don't agree.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 01:51 AM
I don't know, what is going on with FSU? Are you saying that they joined the ACC and their academic reputation dropped? Other than Duke, UNC, and GaTech is the ACC great shakes academically? Does the ACC have an academic support structure or is it just athletics? Why is this situation necessarily comparable to us and the Pac-12? I think FSU has had some issues of their own making.

The academic argument was indeed a factor in FSU joining the ACC. They are mediocre at football and ranked 79th in academics. My point is this. Academics alone is a shotty argument and a silly reason to move into a conference half way across the country. Especially when we will take a drop in SOS and increase our travel time tenfold. If you want to make that argument, then it should be done on a academics forum with academic experts. I doubt they have a solid argument considering how big our football program is.

It is an undeniable fact that the proposed arrangement in the Pac 12 is not an improvement regarding the opposition.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 01:53 AM
I'm not disagreeing with the fact that OU would have a bigger national following if we went to the SEC. We are big already. That would add to it. Recruiting? I'm not sure how much it would change. We already have a national recruiting base...even pulling from SEC states. The Cali talent would at least equal what the SEC talent has to offer. What matters academically is "perception". And the perception is that PAC>SEC. Bore has indicated that. And the SEC has very shady recruiting perceptions. After Bomar, ect., Boren wants none of that. I'm not speaking from a personal "wish" mentality. I'm just saying what Boren has indicated and what people have a perception of nationally. It matters. Football-wise? Yes, SEC is the answer. Overall? Boren and the people that make the decisions don't agree.

Are you kidding. In the SEC we open up a whole new frontier of talent. Julio Jones probably would have picked OU had he known he would be facing all his childhood foes- and playing in front of a Bama crowd.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 01:59 AM
The academic argument was indeed a factor in FSU joining the ACC. They are mediocre at football and ranked 79th in academics. My point is this. Academics alone is a shotty argument and a silly reason to move into a conference half way across the country. Especially when we will take a drop in SOS and increase our travel time tenfold. If you want to make that argument, then it should be done on a academics forum with academic experts. I doubt they have a solid argument considering how big our football program is.

It is an undeniable fact that the proposed arrangement in the Pac 12 is not an improvement regarding the opposition.

Academics is involved in this "football-related" argument. Quit dismissing it like it has nothing to do with conference alignment. If we could take Texas with us, it would definitely be an upgrade in SOS. OU and Texas ARE the Big 12. We have already lost Nebraska and Colorado. The North is a Mizzou team that just lost to Arizona State (in the PAC 12). The South is OU, OSU (going wherever WE are going), Texas, and A&M (who is gone). You would add Oregon and USC. So you are wrong based on the fact that A&M is not staying, Nebraska is already gone, Colorado is irrelevant, and OSU would go with us. I don't know what Texas would do. Probably go with us. Maybe Big 10, but not if it cost them the RRSO.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 02:02 AM
Also Cali Talent will not equal SEC talent. It's still Norman vs Los Angeles. Two, I don't think you know that Boren and the rest of the brass feel that way. I do know that Berry Tramel twisted the words and reported this http://newsok.com/berry-tramel-ou-wants-no-part-of-the-sec/article/3594510 which every paper in the nation repeated. He has no credible source and Boren and OU never said that.

They did say that several major conferences are interested and they are looking at many options. Burns Hargis said Thursday that if A&M left, they would not necessarily head west. Once again the Daily Oklahoman shows why it is not considered credible. Yet so many people just believe whatever is in print. OU may head west, but if Berry Tramel is correct, it's not on purpose.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 02:03 AM
Academics is involved in this "football-related" argument. Quit dismissing it like it has nothing to do with conference alignment. If we could take Texas with us, it would definitely be an upgrade in SOS. OU and Texas ARE the Big 12. We have already lost Nebraska and Colorado. The North is a Mizzou team that just lost to Arizona State (in the PAC 12). The South is OU, OSU (going wherever WE are going), Texas, and A&M (who is gone). You would add Oregon and USC. So you are wrong based on the fact that A&M is not staying, Nebraska is already gone, Colorado is irrelevant, and OSU would go with us. I don't know what Texas would do. Probably go with us. Maybe Big 10, but not if it cost them the RRSO.

Never said it didn't. But let's stop pretending the Oklahoma is no different that Stanford.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 02:03 AM
Are you kidding. In the SEC we open up a whole new frontier of talent. Julio Jones probably would have picked OU had he known he would be facing all his childhood foes- and playing in front of a Bama crowd.

Julio Jones would not have won us the A&M or Mizzou game. Wouldn't have done anything for us in '09. Would have been too young to make an impact in '08. He plays 6+ games in Alabama per year if he plays at Bama. He plays nearly all of his games outside of Alabama if he plays at OU, because Bama would become an SEC East team if OU joined. That wouldn't change a whole lot in terms of that unique example.

silverwheels
9/10/2011, 02:09 AM
Also Cali Talent will not equal SEC talent. It's still Norman vs Los Angeles. Two, I don't think you know that Boren and the rest of the brass feel that way. I do know that Berry Tramel twisted the words and reported this http://newsok.com/berry-tramel-ou-wants-no-part-of-the-sec/article/3594510 which every paper in the nation repeated. He has no credible source and Boren and OU never said that.

They did say that several major conferences are interested and they are looking at many options. Burns Hargis said Thursday that if A&M left, they would not necessarily head west. Once again the Daily Oklahoman shows why it is not considered credible. Yet so many people just believe whatever is in print. OU may head west, but if Berry Tramel is correct, it's not on purpose.

Boren has shown no interest in the SEC, so I'm inclined to believe OU sources, who have been saying this since last summer, that Boren wants the Pac-12 if the Big 12 is no longer viable.

College Sports Rivalry
Julio Jones would not have won us the A&M or Mizzou game. Wouldn't have done anything for us in '09. Would have been too young to make an impact in '08. He plays 6+ games in Alabama per year if he plays at Bama. He plays nearly all of his games outside of Alabama if he plays at OU, because Bama would become an SEC East team if OU joined. That wouldn't change a whole lot in terms of that unique example.

Julio Jones is a symbol of a huge pool of Julio Jones' that pass on OU. There is a reason the SEC has teams that beat us. If Cal has far superior talent, it would be more than just USC running the show.

sooner59
Never said it didn't. But let's stop pretending the Oklahoma is no different that Stanford.

Nobody said OU=Stanford. But Cal-Berkely and Stanford would help OU become AAU. Combined research would catapult us...if Boren demanded it for us to come, which he probably would. SEC had Vanderbilt. That about it. And Boren already indicated he isn't interested. Look...I don't understand your argument for the SEC. I already said, football-wise, I am for OU to SEC. When you take academics into account, its all about what Boren wants. And Boren's legacy has been building OU academically. OU basically doubled in size while I was a student under Boren. New additions, new buildings, new research facilities, etc. He is VERY concerned with academic perceptions. Association with Stanford and Cal are much more appealing to him than LSU and Ole Miss. Its not my opinion. I'm just saying what I see happening.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 02:11 AM
Boren has shown no interest in the SEC, so I'm inclined to believe OU sources, who have been saying this since last summer, that Boren wants the Pac-12 if the Big 12 is no longer viable.

Boren contacted the SEC last year. What OU sources. Show me.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 02:15 AM
Julio Jones is a symbol of a huge pool of Julio Jones' that pass on OU. There is a reason the SEC has teams that beat us. If Cal has far superior talent, it would be more than just USC running the show.

Cal isn't a football school. Why would football talent want to go there instead of USC? Or other schools for that fact. California, Texas, and Florida are the top 3 states in high school football talent. End of discussion. We don't pull from Texas simply because we are in the Big 12. Location and tradition are a HUGE part of that. We already pull from Florida. Finch is from FL. The #1 center in the nation is from FL, and he committed to us. We are already pulling from Cali as well (Jefferson, Clay, Stills). We also pull from Georgia and Louisiana. You're right. There is no way we could sign Frank Alexander if we were in the Big 12...

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 02:15 AM
Nobody said OU=Stanford. But Cal-Berkely and Stanford would help OU become AAU. Combined research would catapult us...if Boren demanded it for us to come, which he probably would. SEC had Vanderbilt. That about it. And Boren already indicated he isn't interested. Look...I don't understand your argument for the SEC. I already said, football-wise, I am for OU to SEC. When you take academics into account, its all about what Boren wants. And Boren's legacy has been building OU academically. OU basically doubled in size while I was a student under Boren. New additions, new buildings, new research facilities, etc. He is VERY concerned with academic perceptions. Association with Stanford and Cal are much more appealing to him than LSU and Ole Miss. Its not my opinion. I'm just saying what I see happening.

Yeah, than why are you pretending the SEC doesn't have several schools ranked higher than OU? You you want boring football and more travel time so you can "associate" with Cal Berkeley. Newsflash pal. That's not gonna change "your" status or OU's. I hate to break it to you, but OU is in the Bible Belt, and Cal Berkeley doesn't want to associate with us.

Oklahoma will still be over a thousand miles away and retain their academic ranking. Once it sets in that this kinda sucks, what's left? Status. That is a sorry argument and shows you care more about image than glory.

silverwheels
9/10/2011, 02:17 AM
Boren contacted the SEC last year. What OU sources. Show me.

I thought the SEC reached out to him first. Either way, he kept OU here. He was set to take OU to the Pac-16 last summer until Texas politics screwed it up at the 11th hour. I haven't seen any indication of him being interested in the SEC this go round. Everyone close to him and the administration (closer than the public, anyway) is talking Pac-12. I don't have to show you them; they're easy to find.

I get that you really, really want the SEC, but I don't think it's his top preference, which is actually to keep the Big 12 intact.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 02:23 AM
Yeah, than why are you pretending the SEC doesn't have several schools ranked higher than OU? You you want boring football and more travel time so you can "associate" with Cal Berkeley. Newsflash pal. That's not gonna change "your" status or OU's. I hate to break it to you, but OU is in the Bible Belt, and Cal Berkeley doesn't want to associate with us.

Oklahoma will still be over a thousand miles away and retain their academic ranking. Once it sets in that this kinda sucks, what's left? Status. That is a sorry argument and shows you care more about image than glory.

Jesus, you just don't read, do you? I never said the SEC doesn't have schools with a higher academic status than us. I said over and over that PERCEPTION is the underlining issue. Travel time doesn't mean anything when deciding between SEC and PAC. If you're flying, you are flying. True SEC would let us have a few more chances to actually drive to games. That I agree with. And "newsflash" to you pal, if Boren sets a contingent of OU getting AAU status for us going to the PAC, then the PAC will make arrangement for that IF they agreed to it. Otherwise, I don't see us bolting. I hate to break it to you, but the "Bible Belt" doesn't mean sh1t in this deal. Make no mistake, its all about money, prestige, and academics as far as Boren is concerned. I WANT the Big 12 to stay together. After that...I would rather go to the SEC for football. I just don't think that is what the people who are making the decisions are wanting. Why are you directing it at me? I don't make the f*cking decisions.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 02:24 AM
Cal isn't a football school. Why would football talent want to go there instead of USC? Or other schools for that fact. California, Texas, and Florida are the top 3 states in high school football talent. End of discussion. We don't pull from Texas simply because we are in the Big 12. Location and tradition are a HUGE part of that. We already pull from Florida. Finch is from FL. The #1 center in the nation is from FL, and he committed to us. We are already pulling from Cali as well (Jefferson, Clay, Stills). We also pull from Georgia and Louisiana. You're right. There is no way we could sign Frank Alexander if we were in the Big 12...

Bingo!!! That should be enough to tell you that Cali can't even supply their own state. What makes anyone think they produce more talent that SEC states. And wrong California is third in top recruit talent. 1 Florida 2 Texas 3 California 4 Georgia 5 Alabama.

Now compare California with all SEC states.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 02:26 AM
Jesus, you just don't read, do you? I never said the SEC doesn't have schools with a higher academic status than us. I said over and over that PERCEPTION is the underlining issue. Travel time doesn't mean anything when deciding between SEC and PAC. If you're flying, you are flying. True SEC would let us have a few more chances to actually drive to games. That I agree with. And "newsflash" to you pal, if Boren sets a contingent of OU getting AAU status for us going to the PAC, then the PAC will make arrangement for that IF they agreed to it. Otherwise, I don't see us bolting. I hate to break it to you, but the "Bible Belt" doesn't mean sh1t in this deal. Make no mistake, its all about money, prestige, and academics as far as Boren is concerned. I WANT the Big 12 to stay together. After that...I would rather go to the SEC for football. I just don't think that is what the people who are making the decisions are wanting. Why are you directing it at me? I don't make the f*cking decisions.

I implied you were acting as if OU should not be associated with with the SEC because of academics when several school out rank OU. LOL if you are flying. Are you talking about the team? What about the fans? Seen the price of plane tickets lately? Are you serious?

sooner59
9/10/2011, 02:28 AM
I implied you were acting as if OU should not be associated with with the SEC because of academics when several school out rank OU. LOL if you are flying. Are you talking about the team? What about the fans? Seen the price of plane tickets lately? Are you serious?

Seen the price of gas lately? Think that will make people think twice about traveling further than Arkansas or maybe LSU? You must have a huge boner for the SEC.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 02:44 AM
Seen the price of gas lately? Think that will make people think twice about traveling further than Arkansas or maybe LSU? You must have a huge boner for the SEC.

Oh man. I am afraid you are too far gone bro. You must think I am stupid to buy that driving to AZ costs more than flying. Round trip from PHX to OKC is around 500 dollars. Total gas price round trip when I drive home: around 330. Now for fans, go ahead and add on rental car and hotel costs. I don't have a hard on for anything. I do think you and those like you have a hard on for image and being associated with the west coast, and have thrown all logic and common sense out the window in the process. You are not west coast pal. You never will be. You can try and imitate them all you want, but you will still at the end of the day be just an okie to them. It's almost like we are all going to Disney Land and partying with Paris Hilton after each away game. You are not going to be viewed any different by Cal Berkeley. Unlike these so called OU reports, Cal Berkeley has already said they have apprehension about allowing admittance for both Oklahoma schools.

This argument is more about status and image than it is glory. I do not respect it and feel that those who subscribe to it are afraid of the SEC. We will never know how we would have competed in the most premier conference in the land all because of this fallacious and vanity-like thinking. It's truly sad.

silverwheels
9/10/2011, 02:47 AM
I think it's more sad that your personal self-worth seems to be based on the perception of OU's football program and what conference they play in.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 02:54 AM
I think it's more sad that your personal self-worth seems to be based on the perception of OU's football program and what conference they play in.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this not the appropriate forum or thread to discuss this in? If I have reached the academic forum, please accept my humble apologies. If not, please take note that you have given 50 percent of this discussion.

I came to debate what I feel is the best fit for OU. You can enamor us with the glam and glitz of playing UofA. It doesn't mean I agree. I want one single from the horses mouth source, with names showing that Boren and all the OU officials want OU in the Pac 12 and nowhere else.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 03:03 AM
Good God. I'm done. I swear. This dipsh1t is painting me as a person with a PAC boner, which I am not. I am trying to think logically about what is "likely" to happen, not what I want to happen. The destinations would be nice in the PAC, but the tradition and fan-following is not there. But there are a lot of things that Boren and the folks that matter indicate that they don't want. I have presented why I don't think there is a ton of difference travel-wise. I have said what the perception is academic-wise. Do I agree? Hell, I already have high regards for OU academically. I have a BS and a MS from OU. Its Boren and others who would rather go PAC for academics. Football-wise...traditions, fans, national recognition? SEC. Would the PAC still be an upgrade from the Big 12-2? Yeah, especially if Texas goes with us. Is the national perception of PAC academics > Big 12? Yeah. Would the PAC give OU a better chance of getting AAU? Yeah. Will the amount of OU fans that travel to games be bigger in the SEC than PAC? Maybe, maybe not. Those that travel have lots of things that they consider. Many have a little money. Location, cost, team strength, opposition, ect. all are in the discussion. The money is in the TV deals, not how many OU travels. The TV deals in the SEC at the current time is not superior to PAC. Its just something that is a keystone in this. I honestly don't give a flying sh1t what happens at this point. I just want it to happen quickly. I want to get on with it. OU will be OU. We will be ok with whatever Boren decides. They rest can go f*ck themselves.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 03:05 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but is this not the appropriate forum or thread to discuss this in? If I have reached the academic forum, please accept my humble apologies. If not, please take note that you have given 50 percent of this discussion.

I came to debate what I feel is the best fit for OU. You can enamor us with the glam and glitz of playing UofA. It doesn't mean I agree. I want one single from the horses mouth source, with names showing that Boren and all the OU officials want OU in the Pac 12 and nowhere else.

That is where you are biased. What is best for OU as a whole university in Boren's mind might not align with what you think is best for OU's football team.

silverwheels
9/10/2011, 03:05 AM
The difference is, I'm not afraid of people thinking OU has no balls by going to the Pac-12 instead of the SEC if the Big 12 implodes. I can live with whatever happens because it's out of my hands. My life will go on regardless. It's not sad to me if Boren decides to choose the SEC if that day ever comes. It just is.

Also, I don't think you'll find any word straight from the horse's mouth about the intentions of the administration, wherever they wish to take OU should a move be necessary. However, I think it is telling that people close to the program are only talking about the Pac-12. I would think if there were serious interest in the SEC before the Pac-12, it would have gotten out by now. I don't think Boren has ruled it out completely, but word from SEC country is that they don't want OSU (not enough TV sets), and he wants them to come with us if it's possible, in additions to points already brought up. Is there definitive proof that Boren really feels that way? Probably not, but again, if he really wanted to go to the SEC, I think it would be reported by people already.

Furthermore, I think it's a real possibility that the Big 12 remains intact, at least for the near future, which is Boren's first wish. I'm okay with that, too, especially if A&M stays. If they leave and OU doesn't, BYU is the only logical choice to replace them should they accept. Only if BYU declines do I want OU to seek a new conference home, and my preference is the Pac-12. Apparently Boren's is, too, from everything I've heard. If not, then whatever. I trust in his decision-making. He's done a hell of a lot of good for the university up to this point and I don't see that changing, whatever happens.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 03:07 AM
And you can't separate academics from football when academics is very much involved in the conversion, as Boren as undoubtedly stated. If you want to separate the two, then you are Sooner football fan, not an OU fan.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 03:20 AM
Good God. I'm done. I swear. This dipsh1t is painting me as a person with a PAC boner, which I am not. I am trying to think logically about what is "likely" to happen, not what I want to happen. The destinations would be nice in the PAC, but the tradition and fan-following is not there. But there are a lot of things that Boren and the folks that matter indicate that they don't want. I have presented why I don't think there is a ton of difference travel-wise. I have said what the perception is academic-wise. Do I agree? Hell, I already have high regards for OU academically. I have a BS and a MS from OU. Its Boren and others who would rather go PAC for academics. Football-wise...traditions, fans, national recognition? SEC. Would the PAC still be an upgrade from the Big 12-2? Yeah, especially if Texas goes with us. Is the national perception of PAC academics > Big 12? Yeah. Would the PAC give OU a better chance of getting AAU? Yeah. Will the amount of OU fans that travel to games be bigger in the SEC than PAC? Maybe, maybe not. Those that travel have lots of things that they consider. Many have a little money. Location, cost, team strength, opposition, ect. all are in the discussion. The money is in the TV deals, not how many OU travels. The TV deals in the SEC at the current time is not superior to PAC. Its just something that is a keystone in this. I honestly don't give a flying sh1t what happens at this point. I just want it to happen quickly. I want to get on with it. OU will be OU. We will be ok with whatever Boren decides. They rest can go f*ck themselves.
1. When we border the SEC and most of the Pac 12 is two time zones away, you indeed know which option involves the most travel and time conflicts.
2. How do you know? What source do you have? Even so, what source do you have that academics is the deciding factor?
3. Not looking like it will happen. Texas would rather stay put or go independent than renegotiate that network.
4. How will it increase OU's chances when four Big XII schools had and have AAU membership? Do all Pac schools hold memberships?
5. Correction: Probably not.
6. The SEC has an established network. The Pac deal is new and experimental. The Pac better start playing actual football tomorrow, or that network will be the most expensive flop in college sport broadcasting.
7. Yes you do. You stated earlier that you want "association" with Cal and Stanford. You also present your argument as undecided, yet clearly long for what you see as an imminent move west.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 03:32 AM
Nope. Honestly don't give a sh1t. Barking up the wrong tree. Just want something to happen either way...soon. Get over it. Move on. A&M isn't staying. If BYU came in and the Big 12 stays, it won't last. We will eventually bolt. "I" don't give a sh1t about Cal and Stanford. Boren wants that, judging from what he has said. Boren's public statements is my source. More PAC school hold AAU than Big 12. I don't care what Texas does. Although I want to preserve the RRSO. What do you mean PAC doesn't have an established network? Its ABC. The SEC has CBS. They have experimented with a regional thing for non-national games. SEC hasn't even done that. They fall back on big teams getting ESPN games. And again, I don't want to move west. I actually got to attend a lot of OU road game and Big 12 championship games. I won't get to do that if we leave. I favor staying. But my common sense tells me its not happening. I hope I'm wrong.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 03:33 AM
I'm not sure anyone at OU sees it or not, but the Pac needs UT and OU for that network to work way more than OU needs the Pac for an academic boost. It is also highly unlikely that the Pac 12 chooses Oklahoma City for tournaments in all sports.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 03:38 AM
They won't. It would be Dallas if anything. And yes, the PAC would benefit greatly from OU+Texas. If it was just OU + OSU, not so much. The Big 12 was absolutely the best for OU overall. But the Big 12 is dead. If not today, then soon.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 03:42 AM
Nope. Honestly don't give a sh1t. Barking up the wrong tree. Just want something to happen either way...soon. Get over it. Move on. A&M isn't staying. If BYU came in and the Big 12 stays, it won't last. We will eventually bolt. "I" don't give a sh1t about Cal and Stanford. Boren wants that, judging from what he has said. Boren's public statements is my source. More PAC school hold AAU than Big 12. I don't care what Texas does. Although I want to preserve the RRSO. What do you mean PAC doesn't have an established network? Its ABC. The SEC has CBS. They have experimented with a regional thing for non-national games. SEC hasn't even done that. They fall back on big teams getting ESPN games. And again, I don't want to move west. I actually got to attend a lot of OU road game and Big 12 championship games. I won't get to do that if we leave. I favor staying. But my common sense tells me its not happening. I hope I'm wrong.

I have searched high and low for a statement where Boren prefers the Pac. I am not doubting what you heard. It just puzzles me that no major outlet will cite it. Berry Tramel reported last year that the Pac 12 was a done deal. Then sits up there and expects his credibility to remain unscathed. He is also the same person who thinks message board posters are terrorists. I'm sorry, they guy is shady and a fluff entertainer.

The rest of the post I totally agree with my friend. I too want it to be over. I am angry that our season is once again being overshadowed with this greedy nonsense. I also hold the same hope that the Big XII will survive. Please understand my argument is in the event we leave. I will admit that I do long for the SEC. I don't know about having a hard on. OU the most prestigious program in college sports goes up against storied teams in the premier conference in the land. In my view, we may never have that opportunity again and might lose it trying to follow a pot of gold at the bottom of a rainbow.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 03:57 AM
Berry Tramel is an idiot. I realize that OSU is tied to us politically in this state. Big 10 doesn't want OSU. At all. PAC has public said they will take them. Boren's statements about academics point to the PAC. Otherwise, he has some deal with the B1G that has everyone fooled. OU officials have publicly scoffed at the idea of OU to the SEC. Its not my philosophy. Its what I have seen. I was floored when Nebraska left. I didn't know what to think then. I then thought maybe we could make it work or attract a few good schools. Isn't happening. I then thought OU was going with A&M to the SEC. Then Boren and others led me to think that was a no-go. I then wanted the B1G, so we could maybe take Texas, keep that rivalry, and renew the Nebraska game. They won't take OSU. All I see is the PAC or a watered down Big 12. Its not that I am excited about going. Its just the writing on the wall. Sad. Very sad. But probably true.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 04:13 AM
The difference is, I'm not afraid of people thinking OU has no balls by going to the Pac-12 instead of the SEC if the Big 12 implodes. I can live with whatever happens because it's out of my hands. My life will go on regardless. It's not sad to me if Boren decides to choose the SEC if that day ever comes. It just is.

Also, I don't think you'll find any word straight from the horse's mouth about the intentions of the administration, wherever they wish to take OU should a move be necessary. However, I think it is telling that people close to the program are only talking about the Pac-12. I would think if there were serious interest in the SEC before the Pac-12, it would have gotten out by now. I don't think Boren has ruled it out completely, but word from SEC country is that they don't want OSU (not enough TV sets), and he wants them to come with us if it's possible, in additions to points already brought up. Is there definitive proof that Boren really feels that way? Probably not, but again, if he really wanted to go to the SEC, I think it would be reported by people already.

Furthermore, I think it's a real possibility that the Big 12 remains intact, at least for the near future, which is Boren's first wish. I'm okay with that, too, especially if A&M stays. If they leave and OU doesn't, BYU is the only logical choice to replace them should they accept. Only if BYU declines do I want OU to seek a new conference home, and my preference is the Pac-12. Apparently Boren's is, too, from everything I've heard. If not, then whatever. I trust in his decision-making. He's done a hell of a lot of good for the university up to this point and I don't see that changing, whatever happens.

You are actually touching upon one of my earlier points. The University(Boren) made one statement. He clearly stated that many conferences are interested. Then Berry Tramel reported that OU's sole focus was the Pac. If he made a campus statement why didn't he say: "Boren made comments to reporters contacting his office today expressing his desire to align OU with institutions like Cal Berkeley, and has stated his sole purpose is joining the Pac 12."

The entire country is going off: Boren likes the Pac 12 better and trying like hell to gain admittance for the University of Oklahoma, by Berry Tramel. The end.

BYU would be a good choice to try and fill the gap. I may have unreliable sources, but everything I have heard is that BYU is not interested. But then again, BYU didn't say that to my knowledge. Maybe I missed a report. At least VT had the courage to squash all rumors about the SEC getting them to move south.

silverwheels
9/10/2011, 04:23 AM
Uh, no. Tramel jumped on the Pac-12 bandwagon; he didn't start it. Boren was very interested in the Pac-16 concept last summer, and I believe Carey Murdock's sources are the ones who believe that Boren still desires the Pac-12 this time around if the Big 12 cannot work. This isn't new.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 04:28 AM
Berry Tramel is an idiot. I realize that OSU is tied to us politically in this state. Big 10 doesn't want OSU. At all. PAC has public said they will take them. Boren's statements about academics point to the PAC. Otherwise, he has some deal with the B1G that has everyone fooled. OU officials have publicly scoffed at the idea of OU to the SEC. Its not my philosophy. Its what I have seen. I was floored when Nebraska left. I didn't know what to think then. I then thought maybe we could make it work or attract a few good schools. Isn't happening. I then thought OU was going with A&M to the SEC. Then Boren and others led me to think that was a no-go. I then wanted the B1G, so we could maybe take Texas, keep that rivalry, and renew the Nebraska game. They won't take OSU. All I see is the PAC or a watered down Big 12. Its not that I am excited about going. Its just the writing on the wall. Sad. Very sad. But probably true.

That is interesting. I will take your word on it. I had wondered what those on campus have heard. I have a question if you don't mind. Do you remember the comments officials made?

Also I read those same reports about taking OSU. The articles I read made it pretty clear they are not all that enthused about expansion at this time. They were happy with the conference model they have now, and very excited about excelling with 12 teams. They would "listen" to any programs that contacted them. Larry Scott made this telling comment. "People are going to be disappointed." when he was asked if he saw the Pac 12 becoming the next super conference. I also don't see the two OK schools and Tech boding all that well with ASU for athletic reasons, CU for the possibility of getting shut out of west coast games and having to face OU again. Plus, Cal, USC and Stanford for academic association reasons. There are likely to be no votes.

I am not too sure Texas will join the Pac with having to renegotiate their take on that network. I could be wrong.

This all leads me to believe their might be other deals being negotiated or at least being looked at.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 04:41 AM
Texas would first want B1G. After than PAC. Then Indy. Larry Scott would definitely be ok with the status quo. But...if the SEC goes more then 12+, then he is all about expanding. Don't expect Colorado having leverage on this.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 04:41 AM
Uh, no. Tramel jumped on the Pac-12 bandwagon; he didn't start it. Boren was very interested in the Pac-16 concept last summer, and I believe Carey Murdock's sources are the ones who believe that Boren still desires the Pac-12 this time around if the Big 12 cannot work. This isn't new.

Then why is each and every paper that is reporting on this story from coast to coast citing Berry Tramel and the Oklahoman stating that OU's sole focus was the Pac 12. Why didn't Berry Tramel mention where he got his facts? I am not saying Boren didn't necessarily say this. This Casey Murdock source?
http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1259778

Were there any other comments in another press conference or speech, or on a different article, because Boren made no mention of the Pac 12 in this one?

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 04:46 AM
I think CU is the least of the schools to be concerned with. Cal Berkeley, USC, Stanford and even ASU ,on the other hand are not.

Texas is part of the deal or it becomes far less likely. OU does not give them the Texas market and Texas doesn't seem all that interested in the Pac from recent reports. Just saying OU in the Pac without UT is not a walk on situation. Especially when OSU is in tow.

silverwheels
9/10/2011, 04:52 AM
Then why is each and every paper that is reporting on this story from coast to coast citing Berry Tramel and the Oklahoman stating that OU's sole focus was the Pac 12. Why didn't Berry Tramel mention where he got his facts? I am not saying Boren didn't necessarily say this. This Casey Murdock source?
http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1259778

Were there any other comments in another press conference or speech, or on a different article, because Boren made no mention of the Pac 12 in this one?

Have you only been paying attention to this for the past week? Like I said, the Pac-16 talk has been going on since last summer, before that article by Tramel. And you don't reveal inside sources by name. Again, if the SEC were Boren's preferred option, it would have gotten out by now.

LosAngelesSooner
9/10/2011, 04:58 AM
I'll be honest with y'all...I don't think it's gonna happen. And I definitely don't think there's some "grand mystical zen plan" by Boren and Castiglione. I think they were certainly thoughtful this time and didn't act with their emotions like last time. I think they listened to some of the blowback they got from saying, "Well do whatever Texas does," last time. They knew the fans didn't like that.

But at the end of the day, I think we stay. And believe it or not, I think the chances are growing greater with every day that A&M stays. And it will burn them in their souls for eternity if they do. But if they don't, I think the Big 12 picks up Houston to keep that TV market and then goes after 2 more schools, probably BYU and either TCU (they haven't moved to the Big East YET) or SMU.

It's ****. I hate it. I'd rather move to just about any other conference, but it is what I think is gonna happen now.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 05:13 AM
Have you only been paying attention to this for the past week? Like I said, the Pac-16 talk has been going on since last summer, before that article by Tramel. And you don't reveal inside sources by name. Again, if the SEC were Boren's preferred option, it would have gotten out by now.

We also had contact with the SEC and almost joined with AtM until Beebe pulled a miracle and got everyone to agree to stay. The rest is speculation. Mike Slive is known to do things under the radar. I am only suggesting that it is illogical to assume there are not other deals being explored. If you track KOUN departures and arrivals, there are many flights going back and fourth to Missouri and several round trips and visits to SEC states. You can also see where they are flying to meet with BYU officials.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 05:14 AM
I'll be honest with y'all...I don't think it's gonna happen. And I definitely don't think there's some "grand mystical zen plan" by Boren and Castiglione. I think they were certainly thoughtful this time and didn't act with their emotions like last time. I think they listened to some of the blowback they got from saying, "Well do whatever Texas does," last time. They knew the fans didn't like that.

But at the end of the day, I think we stay. And believe it or not, I think the chances are growing greater with every day that A&M stays. And it will burn them in their souls for eternity if they do. But if they don't, I think the Big 12 picks up Houston to keep that TV market and then goes after 2 more schools, probably BYU and either TCU (they haven't moved to the Big East YET) or SMU.

It's ****. I hate it. I'd rather move to just about any other conference, but it is what I think is gonna happen now.

I honestly hope you are right. I also hope they find a way to keep this from being a reoccurring issue.

silverwheels
9/10/2011, 05:21 AM
We also had contact with the SEC and almost joined with AtM until Beebe pulled a miracle and got everyone to agree to stay. The rest is speculation. Mike Slive is known to do things under the radar. I am only suggesting that it is illogical to assume there are not other deals being explored. If you track KOUN departures and arrivals, there are many flights going back and fourth to Missouri and several round trips and visits to SEC states. You can also see where they are flying to meet with BYU officials.

I haven't said that the Pac-12 is Boren's only choice. I have just said that everything I've seen up to this point suggests it is his first choice if the Big 12 fails. Looking around the Internet and the only talk of OU to the SEC that I see is coming from some OU fans and SEC fans. Same with Big Ten talk. Only OU fans seem to be bringing it up. Most people up there do not seem to see OU as an option.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 05:42 AM
I haven't said that the Pac-12 is Boren's only choice. I have just said that everything I've seen up to this point suggests it is his first choice if the Big 12 fails. Looking around the Internet and the only talk of OU to the SEC that I see is coming from some OU fans and SEC fans. Same with Big Ten talk. Only OU fans seem to be bringing it up. Most people up there do not seem to see OU as an option.

I agree with you. Most of what I have read says the same. But when comparing the actual comments to what is being reported, there is a huge hole many any not willing to recognize. Quote Boren saying he favors the PAC. Don't just say it. Quote the official who announced the Pac is OU's sole focus, or at least say how you know this information. Media points other directions in some areas. There are sources in SEC country and even in Oklahoma that believe the SEC is making a play. http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/sports/sec-officials-meet-atlanta-texas-a-m-20110906-es One reporter, Pat Jones, who I have no stock in regarding credibility was willing to bet his salary with Eschbach that OU was joining the SEC. This coming from a source he claimed. A Fox Report in Atlanta mentioned twice that OU was a strong candidate. I make no claim that is what I think the likely outcome will be. I have a problem with how this has been reported and people jumping to conclusions.

Sabanball
9/10/2011, 09:16 AM
Okies actually live in California.

And they live in the South too. I know because I'm one of them. I lived for 10 yrs in OK and have lived for 25 yrs in Alabama. Take it from someone that has spent many yrs in both places--Oklahoma is without question more aligned with the South--culturally, politically, geographically, socio-economically, and otherwise--than with AZ or the Left coast.

FtwTxSooner
9/10/2011, 09:37 AM
Dodds is now suggesting equal tier 1 revenue sharing. Of course he can do that with all of the LHN money coming in. That would effectively end up reducing our TV revenue.

SoonerMom2
9/10/2011, 09:46 AM
Why would we want to lose money and stay in this conference when we can head west and get equal sharing with a lot more money. This Boone Pickens plan -- OU loses money in the deal to save this crappy conference? Give me a break!

brainpimp
9/10/2011, 10:55 AM
Well, to be fair, all of the best midget porn comes out of the SEC...

That is so last year. All the SEC is into gay midget porn wearing spelunking gear this year.

Penguin
9/10/2011, 11:03 AM
What do you mean PAC doesn't have an established network? Its ABC. The SEC has CBS. They have experimented with a regional thing for non-national games. SEC hasn't even done that.

Huh? They have the SEC network. They've had it for years. Every single SEC game is on TV today, even Vandy-UConn and Kentucky-Central Michigan. Only 4 of the 8 Pac-12 related games are televised.

silverwheels
9/10/2011, 11:06 AM
And they live in the South too. I know because I'm one of them. I lived for 10 yrs in OK and have lived for 25 yrs in Alabama. Take it from someone that has spent many yrs in both places--Oklahoma is without question more aligned with the South--culturally, politically, geographically, socio-economically, and otherwise--than with AZ or the Left coast.

Grapes of Wrath? Come on.

Memtig14
9/10/2011, 11:40 AM
~2.3 million or so of Oklahoma's population of ~3.7 million live in either the OKC or Tulsa metro areas, and there is nothing Southern about OKC or Tulsa.Nothing at all except for geography, weather, dialect, cuisine.....etc.

Fraggle145
9/10/2011, 11:52 AM
Is anyone else starting to get the sickening feeling that the conference formerly known as the Big XII is going to survive and we are staying put?

Me. And aTm wont be there and it will suck.

silverwheels
9/10/2011, 11:53 AM
Nothing at all except for geography, weather, dialect, cuisine.....etc.

No, those things are Oklahoman, not Southern.

Fraggle145
9/10/2011, 11:54 AM
Dodds is now suggesting equal tier 1 revenue sharing. Of course he can do that with all of the LHN money coming in. That would effectively end up reducing our TV revenue.

**** that.

Memtig14
9/10/2011, 11:57 AM
No, those things are Oklahoman, not Southern.
They are similar.......which is the point.

Fraggle145
9/10/2011, 11:57 AM
It looks like we need to speak up again. At least in the media we are losing our leverage really quickly. ESPN is pushing hard for us to remain in the diminished ****hole 12. God I hate this conference. **** UT.

cherokeebrewer
9/10/2011, 12:05 PM
Nothing at all except for geography, weather, dialect, cuisine.....etc.

"cuisine"...chickin' 'n dumplin's...mash taters 'n gravy...cracklin' cornbread...

JiminyChristmas
9/10/2011, 12:09 PM
I sure hope something is going on behind the scenes. Since a Big XII equal to or stronger than the original Big XII is impossible, I really don't want us to get stuck here.

SoonerMom2
9/10/2011, 12:13 PM
Don't see David Boren giving up millions to have equal sharing with UT racking in the ESPN dollars and coverage. Pickens is pushing this same crap not to mention the Norman Transcript and some of our idiot legislators who are no longer on my radar. I am watching a game on Fox with Iowa State and Iowa. Cannot take the ESPN announcers.

ESPN is worried they will have to anti up more bucks -- tough. This is not a stable conference and soon as the Longhorns get their network really working, they will go independent or to the Big 10.

Memtig14
9/10/2011, 12:14 PM
"cuisine"...chickin' 'n dumplin's...mash taters 'n gravy...cracklin' cornbread...Yum........sorry I missed those, I was typin way too fast.

R@bidred
9/10/2011, 12:26 PM
I still don't want to go to LSU to play a conference or any other game for that matter.:smug:

GreenSooner
9/10/2011, 12:31 PM
I take it that ESPN never mentions their financial interest in the outcome when they cover these reallignment issues? I've never seen them do it....but then again, I try to avoid watching ESPN more than is absolutely necessary.

limey_sooner
9/10/2011, 12:32 PM

So for being a good conference member OU's reward would be less money and membership in a weaker conference while Baylor's petulant child act is rewarded with more money and continued membership in a conference they should have never been in in the first place. Pull the other one Dodds.

loozianna sooner
9/10/2011, 12:36 PM
How about OU, OSU, A&M, and Texas to the SEC? Then you'll have those four plus Arkansas, LSU, Alabama and Auburn in the western half and Mississippi, Miss St., Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and South Carolina in the east. Can't make a better conference than that.

Memtig14
9/10/2011, 12:37 PM
I still don't want to go to LSU to play a conference or any other game for that matter.:smug:Don't blame you for that.

jumperstop
9/10/2011, 12:44 PM
Sec doesn't want osu and texas' arrogance....was there really a need for another conference realignment thread?

sooner59
9/10/2011, 12:52 PM
Huh? They have the SEC network. They've had it for years. Every single SEC game is on TV today, even Vandy-UConn and Kentucky-Central Michigan. Only 4 of the 8 Pac-12 related games are televised.

Look at what time I posted that. I can't be held responsible for the some of the stuff I say at that time of the day on a weekend. :tongue:

sooner59
9/10/2011, 12:58 PM
Lol, why would Bama and Auburn be in the West and Ole Miss and Miss. St. be in the East?

http://img1.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/14560/14560121e6702215e223b1553513b5525661672e.png (http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=14560121&showlnk=0)

SanJoaquinSooner
9/10/2011, 01:02 PM
Lol, why would Bama and Auburn be in the West and Ole Miss and Miss. St. be in the East?

http://img1.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/14560/14560121e6702215e223b1553513b5525661672e.png (http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=14560121&showlnk=0)

Next thing you know they'll put Dallas in the East.

SoonerMom2
9/10/2011, 01:15 PM
According to a email, there was a scroll across ESPN from Joe Schad saying "big12 administrator acknowledged 2 schools looking @pac." We know who that that administrator was. My question is if the other school was Tech since Tech and OU have been talking so much since Pickens has been shooting off his mouth.

The stupid Transcript editorial today could not have made Boren's day about transportation costs and stupid legislators threatening tuition increase. Was that done as OSU is not included since they joined in with Baylor and UT to hold the Big 12 together? Wishful thinking on my part.

Bet it is the revenue sharing idea by TX and Pickens that has seen Boren through the roof.

FtwTxSooner
9/10/2011, 01:21 PM
This is another ploy to keep the conference together, where everyone but us would be getting more money, including any of the replacement schools. Dodds is trying to put us in a corner, weakening our position, while increasing the incentive for everybody but us to stay. If we can't get anyone to follow us, it makes it more difficult for us to move.

I'd say blow this thing up now.

bluedogok
9/10/2011, 01:40 PM
If UT wants to keep the LHN and keep the conference together, then ALL television rights should be shared equally, including Tier 3 rights like the LHN. The other conference schools should make that their demand or else threaten to leave the conference. That is the only way that I could see the Big 12 surviving but the Baylors and all need to get their lips off UT's *** and man up to them. You know that UT wouldn't go for that because they only want to play if they can stack the deck in their favor.

GottaHavePride
9/10/2011, 01:44 PM
Not gonna happen. SEC isn't even on Boren's radar. Focus your thinking energy on PAC-X and B1G.

LosAngelesSooner
9/10/2011, 02:05 PM
Weak *** Pac 12. How DARE they beat a ranked Missouri team. Don't they know that they can't play football?

LosAngelesSooner
9/10/2011, 02:16 PM
We also had contact with the SEC and almost joined with AtM until Beebe pulled a miracle and got everyone to agree to stay.You got your facts wrong there. The deal that was in place that almost went through last year was with the PAC, not the SEC. We were going west a year ago, not southeast.

I honestly hope you are right. I also hope they find a way to keep this from being a reoccurring issue.God in HEAVEN, I hope I'm wrong. I'd rather go SEC (which would be bad for our University, but not as bad as staying in the Big 9) or to the Big 10-12 or even the Big East or ACC.

And they live in the South too. I know because I'm one of them. I lived for 10 yrs in OK and have lived for 25 yrs in Alabama. Take it from someone that has spent many yrs in both places--Oklahoma is without question more aligned with the South--culturally, politically, geographically, socio-economically, and otherwise--than with AZ or the Left coast.Totally disagree. There are FAR too many Okies in SoCal who have influenced the culture out here. Shoot, we have a huge park on the coast near Malibu. The name? Will Roger's State Park. There's a chain of hot dog stands called "Okie Dog" all over LA. We have rodeos and country n western bars. Our Mexican food is very similar to Oklahoma's whereas the Mexican food in Georgia, Florida and Alabama isn't anywhere close. Even geographically Oklahoma is MUCH more similar to parts of California than to the South. Sorry...you're way off here, Sabanball.

Nothing at all except for geography, weather, dialect, cuisine.....etc.Which are all very Oklahoman and NOT as Southern as you'd think. Georgia <> Oklahoma. In fact Oklahoma is much more similar to SoCal than Georgia or Alabama or Florida.

soonerfromgeorgia
9/10/2011, 02:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6949738/pac-12-commissioner-larry-scott-expanding-pac-12

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott has said the conference is not actively seeking new members, despite all the talk of schools wanting to move.

In fact, if it were up to him, Scott would keep the conference just the way it is.

Speaking to reporters before Friday night's game between Arizona State and No. 21 Missouri, Scott said he would prefer to make the 12-team model work instead of trying to expand it to 16.

"Our hope is that there is no expansions and all conferences that are at 12 stay at 12. That would be our vote," he said. "We're very happy where we're at and we've got a lot to do over the next year."

The Pac-10, as it was known, was in the thick of the race to expand last year, trying to lure what seemed like half the Big 12 away. The conference ended up getting Colorado from the Big 12 and Utah from the Mountain West, then changed its name to the Pac-12.

The conference has remained watchfully idle in the newest round of expansion shuffling, listening to prospective schools, but not actively pursuing them this time.

Several schools in the Big 12 have indicated a desire to leave the conference, including Texas A&M, which had its plans to join the SEC blocked by a potential lawsuit by Baylor.

While intrigued by the latest round of expansion rumors, Scott and his conference have decided to sit back and watch, concentrating instead on what they need to do to make their new venture become successful.

"We haven't spent one minute thinking about going further, that's not our desire," Scott said. "It's when all this discussion started happening in the Big 12 and it seems like the SEC is going to go beyond 12 and teams started approaching, let's take a step back and look at the future -- if the landscape is going to change."

The Pac-12 signed a TV deal worth about $3 billion with Fox and ESPN, and plans to launch its own network next year. Scott said the conference did look at various models while trying to expand last year, including the possibility of a 16-team megaconference, and has provisions in the TV deals if expansion occurs.

That part will be taken care of, but Scott said there would be a great deal of work involved if the conference does expand, from scheduling to creating divisions.

But, until then, he's just going to sit back and wait and see what happens.

"We think 12 is a good number and when we look at our peer conferences, they're at 12, too, so we think it's an evenly balanced, competitive landscape," he said. "And with the new TV deal that we've got done, the new network we've got, we're thrilled with our position. We've pretty completely repositioned where the Pac-12 fits in the overall landscape and we've got some real work to do to make 12 work."

An administrator at a Big 12 school told ESPN's Joe Schad Saturday morning that despite Scott's comments, the possibility of at least two Big 12 schools joining the Pac-12 is still "fluid."

A Big 12 source confirmed to Schad that different television revenue-sharing concepts were being discussed as a way to create longer-term stability for the Big 12, if the conference were to continue.

Before last spring, the Big 12 split 50 percent of revenue based on television appearances, which was then reduced to 25 percent. Assigning television rights to the conference for a predetermined period of time could be a more feasible way to actually bind a school to a conference, rather than increasing exit fees.

Information from ESPN college football reporter Joe Schad and The Associated Press was used in this report.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 02:54 PM
Grapes of Wrath? Come on.

Grapes of Wrath was a fictional story and Oklahoma was hardly the only state effected by the Dust Bowl. Okie decedents are not a big segment of the California population.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 02:55 PM
You got your facts wrong there. The deal that was in place that almost went through last year was with the PAC, not the SEC. We were going west a year ago, not southeast.

God in HEAVEN, I hope I'm wrong. I'd rather go SEC (which would be bad for our University, but not as bad as staying in the Big 9) or to the Big 10-12 or even the Big East or ACC.

Totally disagree. There are FAR too many Okies in SoCal who have influenced the culture out here. Shoot, we have a huge park on the coast near Malibu. The name? Will Roger's State Park. There's a chain of hot dog stands called "Okie Dog" all over LA. We have rodeos and country n western bars. Our Mexican food is very similar to Oklahoma's whereas the Mexican food in Georgia, Florida and Alabama isn't anywhere close. Even geographically Oklahoma is MUCH more similar to parts of California than to the South. Sorry...you're way off here, Sabanball.

Which are all very Oklahoman and NOT as Southern as you'd think. Georgia <> Oklahoma. In fact Oklahoma is much more similar to SoCal than Georgia or Alabama or Florida.

You sir have lost all credibility with this ridiculous post. How old are you?

SoonerMom2
9/10/2011, 02:56 PM
Tech has been pretty quiet since their plane was on the ground here last Sunday for four hours and the President said they wouldn't be part of a suit but had to get the Board of Regents to approve waiver and they did right away. That left UT who I think signed it as a cover and TT and OU who didn't care if A&M went and now just want out. When Joe Schad talked to a Big 12 person he said the administrator told him two schools are looking at the PAC 12. Wouldn't shock me if it is us and TT after all of Pickens comments as Pickens wants to stay in the Big 12. Let him stay with TX since they played up to them last summer. Why should OU take less money?

SoonerMom2
9/10/2011, 03:06 PM
Why would OU want to give up millions to stay in this conference? I heard the PAC 12 Commissioner and he talked about unstable conferences. Anyone who bothered to read his body language knew that one of the big schools had contacted him already but what is he to say with schools like Baylor threatening to sue so they can keep their millions that come from others. Why would we want to stay in a conference with Baylor after this?

Cannot believe OU would even consider staying in this weakened conference and lose millions at the same time. This is UT and Pickens trying to keep OU and ditto with comments of legislators in the Norman Transcript about raising tuition for OU if they go the PAC 12. I detest this conference and member schools with a passion now.

This headline doesn't match what he said because he also said he can understand some big names from unstable conferences wanting out. Several sources are also saying Boren spoke out as UT was trying to force BYU down our throats and he wanted to send a message to BYU this conference is unstable and BYU is no replacement for A&M.

OU is refusing to commit to the Big 12. Baylor is nothing by UT's patsy and looks like Pickens and OSU are as well with his comments.

Soonerfan88
9/10/2011, 03:19 PM
This is simply cover for the Pac, same as when SEC stalled while A&M officially gave notice. The situation is far from clear and he's right to take no overt actions until necessary.

FtwTxSooner
9/10/2011, 03:31 PM
This is simply cover for the Pac, same as when SEC stalled while A&M officially gave notice. The situation is far from clear and he's right to take no overt actions until necessary.

+1

Considering all of the lawsuit threats, he'd be an idiot to say they are looking to expand. Even the SEC took that vote to turn down expansion a few weeks ago.

loozianna sooner
9/10/2011, 03:48 PM
OU, OSU, and TX with A&M to the SEC

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 04:00 PM
Making an appearance at the Arizona State-Missouri game on Friday night at Sun Devil Stadium, Scott spoke primarily about the hot topic of conference expansion and the ongoing speculation about the Pac-12 bringing in schools from the Big 12 to ultimately become the Pac-16. Scott made it clear he and the conference aren't being proactive.

"We're not actively working on anything right now," Scott said. "We're just kind of watching what's happening like everyone else.

"Our hope is that there is no expansion and that all conferences that are at 12 (teams) stay at 12."
http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/09/09/11/Scott-Pac-12-expansion-might-be-inevitab/landing_sundevils.html?blockID=562376&feedID=3609

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 04:01 PM
OU, OSU, and TX with A&M to the SEC

+1

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 04:05 PM
There is a big possibility that he means what he says. That they do not have any deals in the works and indeed do not want to expand. He has said this now three times. They are happy with what they have, and do not want to expand unless they are forced to. There is no cover. The fact remains that OU is actively looking at several options regarding their future.

GottaHavePride
9/10/2011, 04:06 PM
Making an appearance at the Arizona State-Missouri game on Friday night at Sun Devil Stadium, Scott spoke primarily about the hot topic of conference expansion and the ongoing speculation about the Pac-12 bringing in schools from the Big 12 to ultimately become the Pac-16. Scott made it clear he and the conference aren't being proactive.

"We're not actively working on anything right now," Scott said. "We're just kind of watching what's happening like everyone else.

"Our hope is that there is no expansion and that all conferences that are at 12 (teams) stay at 12."
http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/09/09/11/Scott-Pac-12-expansion-might-be-inevitab/landing_sundevils.html?blockID=562376&feedID=3609

Translation: we're not being proactive because we've already discussed this to death with our potential new schools over the last year. We're set to go as soon as the SEC and A&M quit dicking around.

Saying you want four teams to go to the SEC isn't going to make it happen. Guaranteed, no matter what you people think, Boren and the Regents have ZERO interest in the SEC. Contrary to popular belief, this is NOT just about football.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 04:08 PM
Not gonna happen. SEC isn't even on Boren's radar. Focus your thinking energy on PAC-X and B1G.

Still waiting for a credible source that shows this is true.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 04:10 PM
Translation: we're not being proactive because we've already discussed this to death with our potential new schools over the last year. We're set to go as soon as the SEC and A&M quit dicking around.

Saying you want four teams to go to the SEC isn't going to make it happen. Guaranteed, no matter what you people think, Boren and the Regents have ZERO interest in the SEC. Contrary to popular belief, this is NOT just about football.

Prove it.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 04:12 PM
Share the desire to join the SEC

http://www.facebook.com/OklahomatotheMightySEC

This is not a page for debate. If you want to support the cause, please add a like. If you don't, please disregard.

Soonerfan88
9/10/2011, 04:22 PM
GHP, please don't get him started all over again on another thread.

sooneredaco
9/10/2011, 04:34 PM
OU to the sunbelt conference or going Indy! Trust me I heard it from a "reliable" source! There that is about as ligit as all the other crap out there

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 04:39 PM
Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott notified Oklahoma and Oklahoma State on Thursday the Pac-12 would not be expanding at this time, multiple sources have told Orangebloods.com.

Scott's declaration - reiterated in comments he made to reporters at the Arizona State-Missouri game Friday night - raise questions about what Oklahoma's conference options are at this time.

"We haven't spent one minute thinking about going further, that's not our desire," Scott told reporters Friday about possible expansion. "It's when all this discussion started happening in the Big 12 and it seems like the SEC is going to go beyond 12 and teams started approaching, let's take a step back and look at the future - if the landscape is going to change."

Added Scott, "We think 12 is a good number and when we look at our peer conferences, they're at 12, too, so we think it's an evenly balanced, competitive landscape. And with the new TV deal that we've got done, the new network we've got, we're thrilled with our position. We've pretty completely repositioned where the Pac-12 fits in the overall landscape and we've got some real work to do to make 12 work."

Oklahoma president David Boren last Friday sent shockwaves through the Big 12 by telling reporters the Sooners were being active in exploring their conference options.

Subsequent reports out of Oklahoma said the Sooners were focused solely on the Pac-12. But that appears to be a dead end. For now.

The Southeastern Conference has expressed interest in OU, dating to last year's realignment, sources said. Texas A&M also tried to convince OU to make the move to the SEC over the past month, sources said.

But OU has repeatedly indicated there is not interest in the SEC.

So what are the Sooners' options at this point?

Unless OU changes its mind about the SEC, the Sooners' options may be limited.

There are varying viewpoints within the Big 12 about whether Oklahoma would go anywhere without Texas. And Texas doesn't want to go anywhere. The Longhorns are working to hold the Big 12 together, so UT can hang onto its Longhorn Network.

But Texas may have to work a little harder to convince OU's president and board of regents the Big 12 is worth sticking around for.

Sources reiterated on Saturday that Texas appears willing to make some concessions to try and hold the league together. Orangebloods.com reported on Friday that sources indicate Texas is supportive of equal revenue sharing from the league's Tier 1 television deal with ABC/ESPN.

But that doesn't necessarily help OU from a financial standpoint. In fact, it probably hurts the Sooners.

OU is already one of the haves in the Big 12 when it comes to making more money from the Tier 1 contract (which pays the most to those who appear the most on TV). So sharing that revenue equally would probably mean a reduction in TV revenue for OU.

Another source close to the situation said, "Texas needs to extend a hand to A&M and resolve the issues. Keeping A&M is the only way to save the Big 12."

But A&M is focused solely on getting to the Southeastern Conference despite the threat of legal action from a handful of members in the Big 12 this week.

"The events of this week have not changed our plans in regards to the Big 12," an A&M official told Orangebloods.com. "Our primary focus is on the SEC at this time."

In other words, if holding A&M in the Big 12 is the only way to save the conference, the conference remains firmly in jeopardy no matter how long this forced marriage continues.

Sounds like it's time for the Big 12 and its members to get creative in a hurry to figure things out during this pause in realignment.

Or other conferences could use the time to get creative and entice members of the Big 12 to make plans to leave in a year or two - whenever A&M feels like it can get away.
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1263181

For what's it's worth. I am aware it is Chip Brown.

BASSooner
9/10/2011, 04:44 PM
Multiple sources told me that Bob Stoops used the bathroom upstairs. Not downstairs.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 04:46 PM

I know. It's about as ridiculous as pretending Oklahoma is Part of the Pacific coast, or anywhere near it.

salth2o
9/10/2011, 04:46 PM
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick and tired of the conference realignment talk.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 04:48 PM
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick and tired of the conference realignment talk.

I am sick of conference realignment period. I am tired of cable companies ruining the sport we love. Nevertheless, it's the hot topic right now.

MyT Oklahoma
9/10/2011, 04:50 PM
I for one was never that hot for the Pac 12 any way.

I figure we will end up where we end up. I'm just along for the ride.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 04:52 PM
I for one was never that hot for the Pac 12 any way.

I figure we will end up where we end up. I'm just along for the ride.

Looking more realistic that we stay put for now. I understand being silent and taking your time making the decision. It just sucks that nothing decisive ever surfaces.

Sooner5030
9/10/2011, 05:07 PM
Salvaging the BIG12 was the best option once all the stakeholders (conferences, networks, OU) thought this thing through. Once you get past the loss of pride from going from a top 2 to one of the top 5 conferences it's prolly the best move. Leverage the waiver against aTm to get 100% exit fees and then some. Invite BYU NOW and then plan to get back to twelve in the next two years.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 05:09 PM
Salvaging the BIG12 was the best option once all the stakeholders (conferences, networks, OU) thought this thing through. Once you get past the loss of pride from going from a top 2 to one of the top 5 conferences it's prolly the best move. Leverage the waiver against aTm to get 100% exit fees and then some. Invite BYU NOW and then plan to get back to twelve in the next two years.

I keep wondering if BYU is possible. They have hinted that they are not interested. I have read reports that the Big XII is perusing them. If the rumors that the Big 10 has denied OU an invite are true, the options are starting to become limited. I also think the best chances are that we stay put.

Another report just came across the wire that the Pac is not wanting to add any schools at this time.

SoonerinLondon
9/10/2011, 05:18 PM
The pac 12 isn't dead. Scott even said as much during the ASU game. This is all about covering legal bases before discussions.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 05:23 PM
The pac 12 isn't dead. Scott even said as much during the ASU game. This is all about covering legal bases before discussions.

Nothing is technically dead. But, it isn't looking like OU is a walk on to the Pac like people have been speculating. The Pac 12 has now stated several times that they are not interested in expansion.

“We’re just watching what’s happening like everyone else,” Scott said last night during a gathering with reporters at Sun Devil Stadium before Arizona State and Missouri kicked off. “Our hope is there is no expansion and that all conferences that are at 12 stay at 12. That would be our hope. We’re very happy where we’re at.”

and

“It’s completely different from last year,” he said. “Last year we were very transparent, very proactive. I felt like we needed to expand to move from a 10-team conference to a 12-team conference as we moved into our TV negotiations for a lot of good reasons. So we were very overt about it.”

doesn't sound like a legal issue.

salth2o
9/10/2011, 05:30 PM
I am sick of conference realignment period. I am tired of cable companies ruining the sport we love. Nevertheless, it's the hot topic right now.

unfortunately you are correct. I just want to watch the games and enjoy them b/c its college football.

For the record...I loathe the PAC 12

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 05:33 PM
unfortunately you are correct. I just want to watch the games and enjoy them b/c its college football.

For the record...I loathe the PAC 12

It's a sickening thought isn't it? The Pac 12 is the most over-hyped, watered down landscape in the AQ land.

SoonerinLondon
9/10/2011, 05:36 PM
Nothing is technically dead. But, it isn't looking like OU is a walk on to the Pac like people have been speculating. The Pac 12 has now stated several times that they are not interested in expansion.

“We’re just watching what’s happening like everyone else,” Scott said last night during a gathering with reporters at Sun Devil Stadium before Arizona State and Missouri kicked off. “Our hope is there is no expansion and that all conferences that are at 12 stay at 12. That would be our hope. We’re very happy where we’re at.”

and

“It’s completely different from last year,” he said. “Last year we were very transparent, very proactive. I felt like we needed to expand to move from a 10-team conference to a 12-team conference as we moved into our TV negotiations for a lot of good reasons. So we were very overt about it.”

doesn't sound like a legal issue.

Those quotes aren't from his in-game interview last night.

Let's just watch and see what happens.

AlboSooner
9/10/2011, 05:42 PM
It's quite funny to see how Deloss' mouthpiece spins things.

OUNASH
9/10/2011, 05:43 PM
If the Big XII stays together it will be like a bad marriage that stays together because of the kids. Never a pretty situation. Dont think aTm cant wait to play and beat the hell out of Baylor. I am like everyone else and wish this nightmare would just end.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 05:44 PM
Those quotes aren't from his in-game interview last night.

Let's just watch and see what happens.

Uh yeah they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IFydXKmvv9M

bluedogok
9/10/2011, 05:45 PM
Didn't the SEC say that right before A&M announced they were leaving the Big 12? Then I guess that invitation and vote by the SEC to accept the application for membership from A&M never happened as well.....

There are a bunch of behind the scenes discussions going on right now and the writers/bloggers are not privy to more than about 5% of them. We really have no idea what is going to happen...it's nothing more than politics as usual.

Fraggle145
9/10/2011, 05:46 PM

Like who? and if you say any school in Texas I will punch you in the gonads... They are not viable solutions. With BYU we are about as good as the ACC, maybe even the Big Least. When the TV contracts get renegotiated we will be ****ed like a tied goat.

This blows. I want out of this **** sandwich of a conference so bad it makes me sick.

soonerboomer93
9/10/2011, 05:49 PM
It's a sickening thought isn't it? The Pac 12 is the most over-hyped, watered down landscape in the AQ land.

So apparently you don't know that the Big East is an AQ? (well, they're not over hyped, but they're pretty waterdown)

This statement just reminds me of the one the SEC made regarding taking A&M after their first vote. It's a protective measure is all.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 05:52 PM
Didn't the SEC say that right before A&M announced they were leaving the Big 12? Then I guess that invitation and vote by the SEC to accept the application for membership from A&M never happened as well.....

There are a bunch of behind the scenes discussions going on right now and the writers/bloggers are not privy to more than about 5% of them. We really have no idea what is going to happen...it's nothing more than politics as usual.

I saw no report that the SEC said something similar. However, it is coming right from the horses mouth - after there has been speculation that the Pac is content. Of course there are behind the scenes discussions. Nevertheless, Larry Scott has commented that they are not discussing anything in regards to adding Oklahoma - only watching. They are not interested in expansion at this time and hope everything works out in the Big XII soon. We can speculate what that means till the cows come home. The fact remains that what has been said by these officials is more in line with what is happening.

MountainOkie
9/10/2011, 05:53 PM
I agree, got to get out of the big 12-3.

They have done absolutely positive to try to keep us in since Boren's announcement. In fact it's been exactly the opposite.

This conference should be dead. I think the only thing keeping it alive is the web of network interests.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 05:53 PM
So apparently you don't know that the Big East is an AQ? (well, they're not over hyped, but they're pretty waterdown)

This statement just reminds me of the one the SEC made regarding taking A&M after their first vote. It's a protective measure is all.

What does the Big East have to do with the price of tea in China? I don't see anyone hyping them, nor are they relevant to the discussion.

SoonerinLondon
9/10/2011, 06:00 PM
Uh yeah they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IFydXKmvv9M

Nope. His in-game interview was different.

Does sound a lot like the SEC Commish before aTm officially notified the Big XII they were leaving, and got what they thought was clearance to leave without legal retaliation.

Guess we'll have to wait to see what happens.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 06:04 PM
OK London. That's just reaching. He is not going to say anything different after a half of football. That's where they stand. You are right we will have to wait. But don't get your hopes up. Moving to the Pac 12 is not a perfect solution and everyone in charge knows that.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 06:05 PM
I hate A&M.

MountainOkie
9/10/2011, 06:10 PM
I hate A&M.

I don't think that the 3rd team to try to leave in less than a year is the problem.

bluedogok
9/10/2011, 06:13 PM
I saw no report that the SEC said something similar. However, it is coming right from the horses mouth - after there has been speculation that the Pac is content. Of course there are behind the scenes discussions. Nevertheless, Larry Scott has commented that they are not discussing anything in regards to adding Oklahoma - only watching. They are not interested in expansion at this time and hope everything works out in the Big XII soon. We can speculate what that means till the cows come home. The fact remains that what has been said by these officials is more in line with what is happening.
Then you were paying attention about a month ago....

Washington Post - Aug 14, 2011: SEC is not adding Texas A&M, or anyone else, anytime soon (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/2011/08/14/gIQAZPVsFJ_story.html)

All I am saying is just because there is a statement that says one thing today doesn't mean that can't change quickly.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 06:13 PM
I don't think that the 3rd team to try to leave in less than a year is the problem.

I hate texas, too. Both of them make me sick. I actually don't blame Nebraska or Colorado at all. Those fockers south of the Red River are the ones causing this.

bluedogok
9/10/2011, 06:14 PM
I hate texas, too. Both of them make me sick. I actually don't blame Nebraska or Colorado at all. Those fockers south of the Red River are the ones causing this.
Then why try to stay in the same conference with them?

sooner59
9/10/2011, 06:15 PM
I say we just join the NFC South.

sooner59
9/10/2011, 06:17 PM

Exactly. I don't have an answer for this. Just irritating. I just want somebody to make a move so we can do whatever and move on.

prrriiide
9/10/2011, 06:20 PM
With BYU we are about as good as the ACC, maybe even the Big Least. When the TV contracts get renegotiated we will be ****ed like a tied goat.

This blows. I want out of this **** sandwich of a conference so bad it makes me sick.

^^^^ THIS^^^^

Sooner5030
9/10/2011, 06:20 PM

because a little pride from some BBS posters shouldn't get in the way of a good thing.

-Superconferences will suck
-Playing shiatty OOC games will suck
-BIG 12 still has AQ status
-we make enough $ in the current situation
-I wouldn't like to bail on KU/KSU/ISU

SoonerMom2
9/10/2011, 06:32 PM
There are two interviews. The interview I saw with Scott was on the sideline of the game. He was all smiles when he said they were keeping a close eye on things and something to the effect he understood teams that were not in stable conferences wanting out.

With Baylor being a jerk no way can any Commissioner say anything but this.

soonerbub
9/10/2011, 06:33 PM
texass may want to rethink inviting the Mormons as they are getting dominated

...oskie Gilbert Grape as I type

Bccajun
9/10/2011, 06:39 PM
Wait they are in the east already NFL East that is.

SoonerinLondon
9/10/2011, 06:43 PM
There are two interviews. The interview I saw with Scott was on the sideline of the game. He was all smiles when he said they were keeping a close eye on things and something to the effect he understood teams that were not in stable conferences wanting out.

This is the interview to which I was referring. Paraphrasing, he said that there was nothing to talk about until other conferences either fell apart or expanded.

SoonerMom2
9/10/2011, 07:00 PM
This is the interview to which I was referring. Paraphrasing, he said that there was nothing to talk about until other conferences either fell apart or expanded.

I am sure he had a blue shirt in the interview on the field -- he was laughing, etc., and basically talked about how programs were unhappy in unstable conferences and he was watching what was happening.

Didn't get the same thing from the article which had a lot added including a headline.

SunnySooner
9/10/2011, 07:00 PM
Reason #587 to Hate Tejas. That whole Longwhorn network carp was the proverbial straw, and little bro aTm saw a way out, and now we're screwed. I really don't see a good outcome for us. Pac 12? Lived there, done that, NO EFFIN THANKS!!! Big 10 says un-uh. SEC? Mebbe, but talk about cannibalization. What's left? Dysfunctional Big 12-I-lost-count with who? There's no good teams out there to scoop up. The Domers ain't joining a conference, and they're about the only team with real dollar signs to bargain with.

Ugh, it just all makes me throw up in my mouth. I hate this ****. This is not why I watch CFB. If I wanted this side of it, I'd watch the pros. Just figure it out already. Blech.

SoonerMom2
9/10/2011, 07:14 PM
Why doesn't Baylor sue ESPN for unequal distribution of funds to the Big 12 by ONLY paying UT for the Longhorn network?

These announcers are so pro-Texas that it makes you want to throw up. I just want OU away from UT and that LHN.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 07:46 PM
Then you were paying attention about a month ago....

Washington Post - Aug 14, 2011: SEC is not adding Texas A&M, or anyone else, anytime soon (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/2011/08/14/gIQAZPVsFJ_story.html)

All I am saying is just because there is a statement that says one thing today doesn't mean that can't change quickly.

Anything can change. However, there is nothing factual or in the statements made by Scott that OU is probably headed to the Pac 12 - as the media has ever so successfully brainwashed people into believing.

Just like Boren said last week: Many options are being looked at. That's what is happening. So once again, Berry Tramel is wrong and the Pac 12 is not OU's sole focus. The best interests of the program is OU's sole focus and that hasn't been determined as of yet.

Widescreen
9/10/2011, 07:53 PM
Anything can change. However, there is nothing factual or in the statements made by Scott that OU is probably headed to the Pac 12 - as the media has ever so successfully brainwashed people into believing.

Just like Boren said last week: Many options are being looked at. That's what is happening. So once again, Berry Tramel is wrong and the Pac 12 is not OU's sole focus. The best interests of the program is OU's sole focus and that hasn't been determined as of yet.
I'm curious what team you're a fan of.

SoonerMom2
9/10/2011, 07:58 PM

Sounds like someone from UT to me! I know we were all rookies at one time but for the vast majority of us you never had to question who we supported. Do we have Illini II?

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 08:01 PM

I have been a Sooner fan since first grade. Feeling that the Pac 12 is a crap place for OU to be does not gauge my loyalty to the program. I laid out my stance pretty clearly in a similar thread below. I want the Big XII to survive or join the SEC. And yes, I have heard all the speculative remarks about how Boren despises the SEC. I also can tell the difference between speculation and fact.

BigTip
9/10/2011, 08:02 PM
Ugh, it just all makes me throw up in my mouth. I hate this ****. This is not why I watch CFB. If I wanted this side of it, I'd watch the pros. Just figure it out already. Blech.

Exactly. What's next? Instead of Baylor suing, maybe some school will go on a pro-like strike. I too am sick of it all.

Sooner5030
9/10/2011, 08:06 PM
i'd like to think I am as loyal a Sooners fan as anyone else. just because we don't post "OMG PLEASE GET US OUT OF THIS CONFERENCE>>>>>>B1G, PAC, SEC TAKE US PLZ THNX" doesn't mean we are any less of a Sooners fan.

My opinion is that salvaging the BIG12 is the best option followed by joining the PAC if that falls through. Unlike the B1G & SEC the PAC's geography means they will always take us if the superconference gravitational pull gets too strong.

swardboy
9/10/2011, 08:21 PM
Say, anybody know where I can get Sooner ringtones?

kevpks
9/10/2011, 08:24 PM
I keep wondering if BYU is possible. They have hinted that they are not interested. I have read reports that the Big XII is perusing them.

Texas will probably try to block them in favor of UTSA after this game tonight.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 08:24 PM
Sounds like someone from UT to me! I know we were all rookies at one time but for the vast majority of us you never had to question who we supported. Do we have Illini II?

I have probably been a fan longer than you have been alive. I also live in Pac 12 country. I see how the Pac is not even close to a cultural fit for the Sooners. Just because I don't jump on the Pac 12 bandwaggon, or root for the destruction of the Big XII, is no reason to assume I am a UT fan.

I feel that if we have to move, the SEC makes more sense from all angles.

ouflak
9/10/2011, 08:28 PM
The Southeastern Conference has expressed interest in OU, dating to last year's realignment, sources said. Texas A&M also tried to convince OU to make the move to the SEC over the past month, sources said.

But OU has repeatedly indicated there is not interest in the SEC.

This is very disappointing. OU is *definitely* interested in being a member of the SEC. Only Boren isn't. He's wrong on this. And now it looks like we're stuck in the most dysfunctional conference in history, probably about have our share of revenue cut on a conference vote. I like Boren, but he is under some kind of delusion to think that the conference a university's football plays in has anything to do with research grants or the academic standing of the university nationally or internationally. Most people in those circles could care less about football, probably never played sports in their lives, and no have interest in such (which is not a problem!, I'm cool with that) and never will. Texas has taken advantage of Boren's misperception and are about to play us and the rest of the conference hard.

Texas keeps its advertising/marketing money maker in the LHN. OU, Texas' biggest rival and competition, loses millions due to equal revenues among relatively weaker teams. The conference is weaker so our SOS goes down, and we don't even have as much of an opportunity as we used to to buffer our schedule with a stronger OOC opponent because we are limited to 3 non-conference games.

All Texas had to do was feed Boren's misperception of some mysterious relationship between football conference and academics, get Baylor to be their legal lap dog, and convince everybody they are willing to 'compromise' on equal revenue sharing.

If they played football as well as they just played Boren and the rest of the Big XII-II, they would have been the ones who had won the last 5 national titles (not the SEC). Well done.

ouflak
9/10/2011, 08:36 PM
Oh, and I have been a fan of my alma mater since conception, and also feel the PAC was not really the place for OU. I was willing to accept it if we got four teams in and managed to keep some of our regional identity and matchups in place. But OU just does not fit in with PAC, and frankly I kind of hope we are never a member of that conference unless we simply have no choice.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 09:11 PM
This is very disappointing. OU is *definitely* interested in being a member of the SEC. Only Boren isn't. He's wrong on this. And now it looks like we're stuck in the most dysfunctional conference in history, probably about have our share of revenue cut on a conference vote. I like Boren, but he is under some kind of delusion to think that the conference a university's football plays in has anything to do with research grants or the academic standing of the university nationally or internationally. Most people in those circles could care less about football, probably never played sports in their lives, and no have interest in such (which is not a problem!, I'm cool with that) and never will. Texas has taken advantage of Boren's misperception and are about to play us and the rest of the conference hard.

Texas keeps its advertising/marketing money maker in the LHN. OU, Texas' biggest rival and competition, loses millions due to equal revenues among relatively weaker teams. The conference is weaker so our SOS goes down, and we don't even have as much of an opportunity as we used to to buffer our schedule with a stronger OOC opponent because we are limited to 3 non-conference games.

All Texas had to do was feed Boren's misperception of some mysterious relationship between football conference and academics, get Baylor to be their legal lap dog, and convince everybody they are willing to 'compromise' on equal revenue sharing.

If they played football as well as they just played Boren and the rest of the Big XII-II, they would have been the ones who had won the last 5 national titles (not the SEC). Well done.

Very well put. It's good to see someone else who understands the academic nonsense. Four Big XII schools with AAU membership did nothing to make OU a member. Cal Berkeley would be no differernt. It's up to OU to raise the bar. In the meantime we could elevate the program beyond our comprehension if we were to join the best conference in the land.

I posted a link to the Oklahoma to the SEC facebook if you woul like to show your support http://www.facebook.com/OklahomatotheMightySEC

Widescreen
9/10/2011, 09:31 PM
I also can tell the difference between speculation and fact.

Good. So you can recognize your own posts for what they are. More speculation.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 09:40 PM

I'm sorry. I wasn't aware I made any comments stating that I know what is going to happen. I have presented what is and my personal feelings on the matter. I'm sorry that your west coast dream may not come to fruition. I am not Larry Scott. Unless we would like to assume he is a liar, the Pac isn't all that interested in expanding and has no deals in place, nor are the talking to any school about it. They will watch and acknowledge that further expansion is a possibility in the future. How is that speculation?

Boren hates the SEC. OU wants no part of the SEC. Texas is joining the ACC. Texas to the Big 10. OU to move west is imminent. Those are all speculative statements without a source or direct quote.

silverwheels
9/10/2011, 10:06 PM
Grapes of Wrath was a fictional story and Oklahoma was hardly the only state effected by the Dust Bowl. Okie decedents are not a big segment of the California population.

I mean the term "Okie" is to describe Oklahomans who moved to California during the Dust Bowl. Oklahomans who live in Oklahoma are not Okies. Neither are Oklahomans who moved elsewhere. Just a joke, man.

silverwheels
9/10/2011, 10:08 PM
Oh my God, make it stop.

picasso
9/10/2011, 10:12 PM
Oh my God, make him stop.
Fixed.

Widescreen
9/10/2011, 10:23 PM
I'm sorry. I wasn't aware I made any comments stating that I know what is going to happen. I have presented what is and my personal feelings on the matter. I'm sorry that your west coast dream may not come to fruition. I am not Larry Scott. Unless we would like to assume he is a liar, the Pac isn't all that interested in expanding and has no deals in place, nor are the talking to any school about it. They will watch and acknowledge that further expansion is a possibility in the future. How is that speculation?

Boren hates the SEC. OU wants no part of the SEC. Texas is joining the ACC. Texas to the Big 10. OU to move west is imminent. Those are all speculative statements without a source or direct quote.
“@Jimmy_Burch: Pac-12's Larry Scott from USC-Utah gm: "If schools are going to leave the Big 12 .. we'll step back and look at our options"
"@Jimmy_Burch: Scott on r'algnmt: "I don't think anyone, with how dynamic the situation is, would stick their neck out and say nothing is going to change."

See how this works? I'm sure you'll want to latch on to his other comment indicating that they're not pushing for expansion and ignore these. I'm honest enough to recognize that I don't know what's going to happen. Scott's making seemingly contradictory statements but if he says the PAC is not interested in expanding but then makes a comment like the ones above, the more logical conclusion is that denials are for CYA reasons. But again, no one knows for sure.

GottaHavePride
9/10/2011, 10:25 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mrfi2KHHxHQ/TdFNS2f8mrI/AAAAAAAAHes/W-xcC1t3Pt8/s1600/merge.jpg

hawaii 5-0
9/10/2011, 10:26 PM
http://media3.texags.com/0008238-cvrv-640x360.jpg

The original Pistol Pete is now jobless, got himself cleaned up and is now job hunting?

5-0

hawaii 5-0
9/10/2011, 10:29 PM
I mean the term "Okie" is to describe Oklahomans who moved to California during the Dust Bowl. Oklahomans who live in Oklahoma are not Okies. Neither are Oklahomans who moved elsewhere. Just a joke, man.

Nowadays it denotes anyone from Oklahoma, regardless of where they currently live. Times have changed.

5-0

Fraggle145
9/10/2011, 11:13 PM

Leroy reincarnate.

College Sports Rivalry
9/10/2011, 11:13 PM
“@Jimmy_Burch: Pac-12's Larry Scott from USC-Utah gm: "If schools are going to leave the Big 12 .. we'll step back and look at our options"
"@Jimmy_Burch: Scott on r'algnmt: "I don't think anyone, with how dynamic the situation is, would stick their neck out and say nothing is going to change."

See how this works? I'm sure you'll want to latch on to his other comment indicating that they're not pushing for expansion and ignore these. I'm honest enough to recognize that I don't know what's going to happen. Scott's making seemingly contradictory statements but if he says the PAC is not interested in expanding but then makes a comment like the ones above, the more logical conclusion is that denials are for CYA reasons. But again, no one knows for sure.

What the hell are your talking about. I know how to speculate. I posted a thread about the latest comments and latest article on the story. It just so happens that I prefer the SEC. The title, that was reported by several sources is PAC-12 tells Oklahoma no grow (for now)

I did not post this in hopes to prove some point that the Sooners are not going to the Pac 12. I posted this because it shows that claims that OU has one foot in the Pac 12 are false. That is not speculation. The fact has not changed.

I noticed another thread on this forum with people saying things like "Wow I bet ASU is going to be good. I can't wait to watch that game. It sure will be fun when we are playing them in the Pac 16." As if we were already a member. And like that person ever really thought ASU was remotely interesting until now.

Now people can make themselves believe whatever they want. My point is that the media has played a role in this presumptuous poster's thoughts.

Larry Scott's comments are pretty clear. I never said it was Larry Scott categorically denying OU has any chance of entry. I said it looks more like we are staying in the Big XII. That is an opinion.

the dude that's needs it to stop: It appears that you have a problem with other people's opinions and comments when they are in disagreement with your view - or not what you want to hear. It's a message board. That's what it's for. You have multiple choices of threads to click.

SoonerinLondon
9/10/2011, 11:45 PM
Anybody see Larry Scott's interview at the SC game? Hmmm

silverwheels
9/10/2011, 11:51 PM
Didn't see it, but I'm guessing he pretty much repeated what he said last night during the ASU-Missouri game, which is basically that the Pac-12 won't expand past 12 unless another conference (most likely the SEC) does first. If that happens, the Pac-12 will likely look at expansion pretty seriously, and many believe that OU is at or near the top of the list. There's a ton of scenarios that could play out, though, but A&M has to join the SEC for all of the crazy realignment to happen (again). Then we'll see what OU does, and then Texas.

SoonerMom2
9/11/2011, 11:20 AM
This time Scott actually mentioned Big 12 -- we have progressed!

finster
9/11/2011, 11:06 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/21j0isp.jpg[/I

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2agj8gk.jpg
I'm starting to to come around to the fact that we can yet make a pretty good conference. Cartoon North is gone,Cartoon South is showing it's A$$, BYU is a little too high maintenance for me,but what the hell, these drama whores of bow ties and Sainted Tom's are making me think that old crystal ball Smith ain’t so crazy after all.

MichiganSooner
9/12/2011, 08:00 AM
Pac12 says not interested in expanding. But Dr. Boren said that 3 conferences are interested in OU. If Pac12 is out, what are the 3 conferences?

Muno
9/12/2011, 08:46 AM
First, the PAC 12 stating they are not interested in conference expansion is purely legal maneuvering. Chip Brown reported on the radio this morning that OU will have a regents vote by the end of the month to join the PAC 12 with OSU to follow.

S008NER
9/12/2011, 08:47 AM
You mean scott is not interested in expanding like the sec was not interested in expanding after their vote not to add in additional programs including Texas A&M. Not buying it.

ouflak
9/12/2011, 09:07 AM
I don't believe Boren ever specified a number of conferences. I would certainly think the Big East, B1G, SEC and PAC would all seriously be interested. The ACC... I'm not so sure.

zeptrey
9/12/2011, 09:30 AM
Chip Brown's at it again.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1263940

101sooner
9/12/2011, 09:33 AM
I'm not real sure about Chip and his sources.

Boomer.....
9/12/2011, 09:45 AM
Hopefully.

Muno
9/12/2011, 10:27 AM
I'm not real sure about Chip and his sources.

I'm not so sure he has "bad" sources but some of these schools are clearly leaking bad information and they seem to use him as their mouthpiece.

OUNASH
9/12/2011, 12:00 PM
Just read on Rivals that OU will apply to join the PAC 12 within the next 2 weeks. Sorry if this already been posted.

OUNASH
9/12/2011, 12:02 PM
Never mind its from Orange Bloods. Chip Brown anyone. Consider the source.

saucysoonergal
9/12/2011, 12:32 PM
My sources tell me that Oklahoma is looking on joining the UEFA Champions League.

badger
9/12/2011, 12:48 PM
Your zen moment of the day:

Texas sounds exactly like "Tech sucks."

And Tech DOES suck.

[/zen]

OULenexaman
9/12/2011, 01:05 PM
it's to the point now where I don't even like going to the store in my OU gear.....people with their KU or KSU garb on just stare at me for a while and they finally get up the gumption to ask..."so where is OU gonna go? What are they gonna do?".....like I ****ing know more that they do...

soonerboomer93
9/12/2011, 01:56 PM
According to another site, Dodds and Powers were in Norman yesterday afternoon.

SoonerMom2
9/12/2011, 02:01 PM

This goes with Blevins saying OSU Gundy told him he thinks we are going to the PAC 12.

Looks like they have been waiting on the SEC to finally make the move and take A&M regardless of Baylor.

silverwheels
9/12/2011, 02:02 PM
I bet they were figuring out a way to keep the Big 12 together.

Theskipster
9/12/2011, 02:05 PM

According to OU beat writer Travis Haney, talks were cordial but fruitless.

SoonerMom2
9/12/2011, 02:15 PM
So it is going to be OU and OSU to the PAC 12? I have no doubt about it now. If TX is dumb enough to keep their Longhorn Network to keep the conference, then fine because in a couple of years they are going to be independent if that is the case and we would be stuck.

Another site is reporting that Boren and Starr got into it.

Just get it over with and get out of this fruitcake of a conference it has turned into be when ESPN wants to pay KS $4M to be on the Longhorn Network, then you know ESPN is pulling the strings of Texas.

Soonerfan88
9/12/2011, 02:49 PM
According to OU beat writer Travis Haney, talks were cordial but fruitless.

I doubt the cordial part. I wouldn't be surprised if Boren didn't end up kicking them off the property. I think he's as fed up and frustrated with * as the rest of us.

Brophog
9/12/2011, 03:40 PM
My sources tell me that Oklahoma is looking on joining the UEFA Champions League.

OU could probably beat Arsenal.

limey_sooner
9/12/2011, 05:08 PM
Slive still talking like A&M will be an SEC member.

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/227939/commisioner-slive-talks-conference-alignment.aspx

SoonerMom2
9/12/2011, 05:16 PM
One of the sites has NM as a possible which would make sense for all the trips between Norman and Albuequerque in the last few weeks. Plane goes from here to Lubbock to ALB and back to Norman. I couldn't figure out why but some are saying that NM could be in the mix as one of the fastest growing states even if their football program sucks. Research dollars and just have a new basketball arena.

badger
9/12/2011, 05:24 PM
NewsOK put a big headline up...

Link (http://newsok.com/breaking-sec-accepts-texas-am-as-new-member/article/3603502?custom_click=lead_story_title)

But it doesn't sound official, does it? Looking at scheduling, looking at making them the 13th member... isn't that what they were discussing last week?

But there might be a reason to believe this: Texags.com is going snail slow right now.

badger
9/12/2011, 05:26 PM
SEC press release link here. (http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/227939/commisioner-slive-talks-conference-alignment.aspx)

instigator
9/12/2011, 05:33 PM
OU could probably beat Arsenal.

Hey that hurts!

Phil
9/12/2011, 05:37 PM
If they "remain optimistic" that A&M will be a member, nothing has changed, other than they are firing a shot across Baylor's bow and/or goosing Boren to move.

badger
9/12/2011, 05:48 PM
Just be glad that I wasn't the one to start a new thread on this old info release, Phil. Because you know within a few minutes somebody that hasn't checked this long arse thread is going to be screaming "SEC ACCEPTS TEXAS A&M" in a brand new thread that you will have to merge into this one :D

silverwheels
9/12/2011, 05:51 PM
Technically it was 3 posts above yours, though.

badger
9/12/2011, 05:59 PM
Hehe, yeah I posted the SEC link a second time. My big WTF moment was NewsOK exclaiming that the SEC accepted A&M... well, didn't that happen LAST week? Whatev, let em fight Baylor on their way out.

SoonerPride
9/12/2011, 06:01 PM
OU was just waiting for the A&M thing to drop.

We make a move within 10 days, if not SOONER.

silverwheels
9/12/2011, 06:06 PM
Apparently the OU regents are meeting next Monday, so...

badger
9/12/2011, 06:08 PM
Apparently the OU regents are meeting next Monday, so...

emergency meeting, or one already scheduled?

silverwheels
9/12/2011, 06:12 PM
Not sure. They meet once a month, anyway, don't they?

Lott's Bandana
9/12/2011, 06:18 PM
We need to win Saturday, then announce our intentions whatever they are.

Rather like Lincoln's Gettysburg Address...

trwxxa
9/12/2011, 08:28 PM
For you conspiracy theorists..

I took my "once in a blue moon" visit to recruitocosm and barking carnival and what do I see?

Advertising for the Big Ten Network.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Sooner_Havok
9/12/2011, 08:33 PM
For you conspiracy theorists..

I took my "once in a blue moon" visit to recruitocosm and barking carnival and what do I see?

Advertising for the Big Ten Network.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

You have been googling Big 10

S008NER
9/12/2011, 09:05 PM
In the memo for volunteers representing OU at high school college fairs, it says ..

..........please consider President Boren as the only official
spokesperson for the status of OU in the Big 12 Conference.

this a done deal.

Sooner5030
9/12/2011, 09:32 PM
I had hoped the BIG12 could/would survive. Using fear the B1G, SEC and PAC were able to drive wedges between the teams and break up the conference. Our conference will go the same way of the Cotton bowl. It's a shame really......we had a great product that sold very well in its particular market and held in check the powers on the coasts.

It happened before UNL and CU. This conference started to crack when Tech fired XBOX and KU fired Fat Bastard. I now blame Tech and KU just as much as CU/UNL/A&M.

trwxxa
9/12/2011, 09:57 PM
You have been googling Big 10

Nope. No reason to give a crap about the most over-rated conference in D-1 or any division for that matter. I'll even throw in NAIA.

Widescreen
9/12/2011, 10:26 PM
I had hoped the BIG12 could/would survive. Using fear the B1G, SEC and PAC were able to drive wedges between the teams and break up the conference. Our conference will go the same way of the Cotton bowl. It's a shame really......we had a great product that sold very well in its particular market and held in check the powers on the coasts.

It happened before UNL and CU. This conference started to crack when Tech fired XBOX and KU fired Fat Bastard. I now blame Tech and KU just as much as CU/UNL/A&M.
But not UT? Come on. This whole mess is caused by Texas. You just called out everyone but the real guilty party.

Lawton4Life
9/13/2011, 09:14 AM
Nope. No reason to give a crap about the most over-rated conference in D-1 or any division for that matter. I'll even throw in NAIA.

Maybe you looked at a Big 10 score on Espn...google is a tricky machine. Since I am close to Austin and read the Statesman, I get LHN ads all the freaking time.

Dio
9/13/2011, 11:12 AM
But not UT? Come on. This whole mess is caused by Texas. You just called out everyone but the real guilty party.

Not to mention Mizzou openly flirting with the B1G, only to have them wind up marrying her bug eating sister.

MeMyself&Me
9/13/2011, 11:39 AM
Not to mention Mizzou openly flirting with the B1G, only to have them wind up marrying her bug eating sister.

Didn't Mizzou's flirtation with the B1G come after (and I think as a result of) of the B1G having talked to Texas?

Sooner5030
9/13/2011, 11:50 AM
Didn't Mizzou's flirtation with the B1G come after (and I think as a result of) of the B1G having talked to Texas?

It doesn't matter. To me the Pirate and Fat Bastard made watching other BIG12 games interesting. Why TTU and KU fired them I'll never understand.

College football will now be controlled by the coasts and the rust belt. Just f'ing great.

Sco
9/13/2011, 11:56 AM
It doesn't matter. To me the Pirate and Fat Bastard made watching other BIG12 games interesting. Why TTU and KU fired them I'll never understand.

College football will now be controlled by the coasts and the rust belt. Just f'ing great.

I seem to remember something along the lines of the two coaches inappropriately punishing players... why on Earth would that be a reason to fire a head coach who is interesting to watch? :pop:

OU Adonis
9/13/2011, 12:21 PM

Who said you were googling that for football?

MountainOkie
9/13/2011, 03:20 PM
Assuming that OU and OSU are going to the PAC, is it a smarter move for the PAC to take Tech and leave a spot open for ut, or invite two other schools now (like KU and Mizzu) to get to 16?

Does it even make sense to move to 16?

Does it make sense not to move to 16? How on earth do you schedule a 14 team league with the current schools? If you want to split it in two then one of the original PAC-8 would need to move to the east, right?

MeMyself&Me
9/13/2011, 03:32 PM
Assuming that OU and OSU are going to the PAC, is it a smarter move for the PAC to take Tech and leave a spot open for ut, or invite two other schools now (like KU and Mizzu) to get to 16?

Does it even make sense to move to 16?

Does it make sense not to move to 16? How on earth do you schedule a 14 team league with the current schools? If you want to split it in two then one of the original PAC-8 would need to move to the east, right?

I think you go with just OU and OSU and wait on what Texas decides to do. If they try to hold the Big 12 together or do the indy thing, I think you sit tight with 14 and wait on Tejas to fall on its face. If they join another conference, look to add Kansas or Mizzou and a Texas school of the Pac's choice.

With 14 teams, keep the current north/south split and put Utah in the North. If at 16 then consider other divisional split options.

BoomerSooner3
9/13/2011, 03:50 PM
I think the ideal scenario for the Pac-16 and OU would be if the Pac-16 arranged a 4 team 4 pod system. 2 pods would form a faux division each year.

Pod 1
OU
Okie St.
ASU
Colorado

Pod 2
UT
TT
Az.
Utah

Pod 3
USC
Cal
Oregon St.
Washington

Pod 4
UCLA
Stanford
Oregon
WSU

Each year, teams would play the 3 teams in their pod, 1 protected rival from another pod. OU-UT, USC-UCLA, etc., 4 games against one of the 2 pods that doesn't contain your protected rival (ie Pod 1 would never play Pod 2 and Pod 3 would never play Pod 4), and 1 game rotating between the 3 teams from the pod that contains your protected rival. The best record from each of the 2 faux divisions would play each other in a conference championship game.

This scenario would protect rivalries, cut down on travel, allow for 9 conference games, variety in scheduling, and each team would play in California each year and in LA every other year.

MountainOkie
9/13/2011, 04:01 PM
The only trouble I heard about the POD system is that the WAC tried it out already and it wind up breaking the league.

Plus, from the latest I read from Herr Brown ut's minister of propaganda, ut is looking at:

1. going forward with the remnants of the Big12,
2. moving to the ACC,
3. moving to the Big 10,
4. PAC
5. going independant.

In that order. Such is the university's love for the LHN. I don't think they'll go PAC.

MeMyself&Me
9/13/2011, 04:03 PM
I think the ideal scenario for the Pac-16 and OU would be if the Pac-16 arranged a 4 team 4 pod system. 2 pods would form a faux division each year.

Pod 1
OU
Okie St.
ASU
Colorado

Pod 2
UT
TT
Az.
Utah

Pod 3
USC
Cal
Oregon St.
Washington

Pod 4
UCLA
Stanford
Oregon
WSU

Each year, teams would play the 3 teams in their pod, 1 protected rival from another pod. OU-UT, USC-UCLA, etc., 4 games against one of the 2 pods that doesn't contain your protected rival (ie Pod 1 would never play Pod 2 and Pod 3 would never play Pod 4), and 1 game rotating between the 3 teams from the pod that contains your protected rival. The best record from each of the 2 faux divisions would play each other in a conference championship game.

This scenario would protect rivalries, cut down on travel, allow for 9 conference games, variety in scheduling, and each team would play in California each year and in LA every other year.

Coming from someone that hates pods, I will say that the version of pod play I hate the least is where the pods rotate to form 8 team divisions where each team plays everyone in their division like you have shown. However, I think you have to keep the rivals in the pods and let go of permanent out of pod rivalries. That sets up to have a permanent advantage to teams that don't have a strong out of pod rival.

MountainOkie
9/13/2011, 04:29 PM
I also don't like the POD where we have to go to Boudler every other year...or the division for that matter. I don't enjoy having drinks and/or batteries thrown at me.

SoonerMom2
9/13/2011, 05:39 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/seminoles/fsu-preparing-for-realignment-possibilities-such-as-moving-1855047.html -- Looks like FSU has now joined the Realignment talk! They are exploring their options. In the article it is talking about Texas to the ACC.

OU to the PAC 12 seems to a conclusion now on all the sites! We are just beginning to see the dominos fall to four Super 16 conferences.

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2011, 06:03 PM
I also don't like the POD where we have to go to Boudler every other year...or the division for that matter. I don't enjoy having drinks and/or batteries thrown at me.

Love Boulder.

I used to stroll up and down Commerce Street till 2am. Boulder is a cakewalk.

MountainOkie
9/13/2011, 06:08 PM
Love Boulder.

I used to stroll up and down Commerce Street till 2am. Boulder is a cakewalk.

Then your experience was far different from mine and my friend's. Glad you didn't have to go through anything like that.

How long ago was that btw?

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2011, 06:10 PM
Commerce Street or Boulder?

My last boulder trip was what...2006? When we puked down our leg.

MountainOkie
9/13/2011, 06:23 PM
Oh, COMMERCE Street! I'm sorry I had a brain hiccup.

Well yeah Boulder would be a cake walk! No stabbings or deaths up in Boulder! Though the hippies should stick to weed and stay away from alcohol.

Octavian
9/13/2011, 08:05 PM
I get that some people have serious reservations about letting the B12 die. I like the B12. Even w/out Nebraska.

I like that the middle of the country has a conference all its own. My biggest fear is that we'll go PAC and we'll be told what to do for the next hundred years.

But...this isn't exactly stable. The leaders we have now are the best we've ever had, and if they think it's in our best interests to go west, I'll be for that too. They have the info, and they're privy to a lot that they'll never tell us. Who knows what's gone on behind the scenes.

If we're going PAC, I'll be excited about it. Sorry things couldn't have turned out differently here...we fought for it to survive. But if OU goes to the West, it'll be good for us too.

MeMyself&Me
9/13/2011, 10:09 PM
The leaders we have now are the best we've ever had...

Couldn't agree with you more on that one.

Boomer.....
9/14/2011, 08:30 AM
ToAz-qBUH1Y

Vegas Sooner
9/14/2011, 11:55 AM
Did I miss something?

badger
9/14/2011, 12:02 PM
I seem to remember something along the lines of the two coaches inappropriately punishing players... why on Earth would that be a reason to fire a head coach who is interesting to watch? :pop:

That was the public reason. The non-public reason was that KU forgot to include a buyout clause in Mangino's multi-million contract (an inconvenience that they apparently forgot in Turner's contract also, lol) and the finger poking crap was something they could use as "for cause" to get rid of a coach that was suddenly 5-7 after going to an Orange Bowl. Very pathetic on their part, yes, but Mangino did get nice severance.

The reason for Leach was also money. Why else fire him before a bowl game if it weren't for the little fact that he had a big longevity bonus due to him in the next few days. Tech was all like "Oooo, we can use the 'shed' as a for-cause firing reason and not have to pay the bonus!" and that is why Mikey is now suing them.

KU and Tech can rot in football hell for what they did to Mangino and Leach. It was NOT about player treatment, it was about MONEY.

GottaHavePride
9/14/2011, 01:01 PM
DOLLAR SIGNS!

swardboy
9/14/2011, 01:22 PM
In on page 100.

Go PAC 32!!!! Whatever......

Bourbon St Sooner
9/14/2011, 03:48 PM
I just want to post on page 101.

Nothing to see here.

TheUnnamedSooner