PDA

View Full Version : End of the BIG XII - THREAD FOR ALL REALIGNMENT DISCUSSION

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]

Ashkill
10/21/2011, 01:47 PM
Good bye Missouri, is there anyone else that wants to leave?

3rdgensooner
10/21/2011, 01:53 PM
^^ Thank you

OULenexaman
10/21/2011, 01:57 PM
so do they have enough votes yet from the SEC?? Last I heard they do not.

daboman of Aggieland
10/21/2011, 02:03 PM
The Kansas City Star reported a few weeks ago that they had eight votes to join the SEC West and ten votes to join the SEC East. They need nine votes to be accepted. Of course, once they have the ninth vote, the official vote will be unanimous as a show of unity.

OULenexaman
10/21/2011, 02:08 PM
The KC Star reports all kinds of ****.....which is what it usually turns out to be....just ****.

Sabanball
10/21/2011, 02:31 PM
You have to ask that when you go to Old Miss games and see people flying around a confederate flag? They were arguing about it being in their logo just a few years back.

Bear Bryant had to schedule a game with USC so Sam "Bam" Cunningham (Randell Cunningham's older brother) and the rest of John McKay's crew could just run all over Alabama just to convince Alabamans to let black players play - Hell - that was in 1971 - OU's first black player was in 1954 - He was a token brother - but he was black.

I think the SEC'S first Black Head Football coach was in 2003 - you haven't even had your 10 year anniversary yet....

The first black athletic director in the SEC was in 2003 - I am not sure when the first black AD in the Big 12 was but I know that Dr Hill was our Athletic Director at OU in 1990....

Honestly, I would be careful to say that the SEC is any more or less bigoted that any other conference but the SEC was a lot more suborn with their bigotry. Like Texas, it took a while for the SEC to catch on.

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, there are racists in the South, just like there are in New York and California. It's just irritating when people broadbrush paint ALL southerners as racists and blame current residents of the South, many of whom weren't even alive back when segregation was going on, for injustices that occurred decades ago.

Sounds like with what happened yesterday, that Mizzou is following TAMU's playbook. No big surprise--the board of curators and their fanbase obviously want to be affiliated with the SEC. My guess is they will formally ask for admission to the SEC within 7-14 days. As I've said here and other places, I really don't think they are a good fit, mainly for cultural and geographical reasons, but once the decision is made then I guess I'll support it. It WILL help us with scheduling, and I predict they will be put in the SEC East division to help keep their addition as least disruptive as possible to the rivalry games like UA/TN and AU/UGA. Also, this would probably mean that their permanent crossover rival/game would be with TAMU.

Sabanball
10/21/2011, 02:43 PM

They will once they formally ask for membership. Bama and some others initially objected due to the problem that it posed to some of the more important rivalry games. Now that those worries have been taken care of, I predict the vote to accept them will be unanimous...

delhalew
10/21/2011, 03:01 PM
If they join the east, they're more stupid than I thought.

dennis580
10/21/2011, 03:21 PM
also, if mizzou leaves for 2012 then the remaining nine get to divy up the revenue withheld from both aTm and Mizzou. That's a decent increase (3-5 mil)

Actually no because the TV contract requires a minimum of 10 teams. Thats why if Missouri leaves for the 2012 season the Big 12 will either have to add 1 or 3 teams or renegoiate the contract that would probably give them considerbly less money

dennis580
10/21/2011, 03:26 PM
OU will only regret not going to any other conference only if

2. a less likely caveat, but still, if OU is held out of a national title BCS game because strength of conference schedule hurts us. We will still have a strong enough schedule though because unlike Auburn, who plays in the almighty SEC BTW, was held out becuase they played the freaking Citadel. OU won't make that mistake.

This will happen at some point if the Big 12 doesn't get to 12 teams. With the SEC, Big Ten, Pac 12, and ACC ALL having conference championship games; not having a conference championship game WILL cost us a shot at a NC us at some point if the Big 12 doesn't get to 12 teams.

dennis580
10/21/2011, 03:31 PM
Mizzou to the SEC? No way, I mean just a couple of weeks ago, President Boren issued a statement that he didn't think Missouri was going to th
e SEC. You mean he's wrong....again?

At least our esteemed President is consistent.

Does anyone think that we will regret our decision to stay put in the BIG XII?

Will adding Houston, SMU and Louisville to the BIG XII change your mind about OU rejecting the SEC?

There will be NO more Texas schools added PERIOD If the big 12 goes to 12 then 3 of these 4 schools will be added(BYU, Louisville, West Virginia, Cincinatti.)

badger
10/21/2011, 03:48 PM
The SEC should be after a better football school than Missouri or at least get someone with better regional ties.

And Mizzou should be holding out for the Big Ten bid it so desperately desires.

This just seems like a case of two people desperate to get married for the dumbest reasons (i.e. "mommy says no sex before marriage and I WANNA HAVE SEX NOW!") that they will marry the first person that asks/doesn't turn them down.

Both these entities can do so much better than each other that they really should both mutually decide to NOT go forward with this!

Sabanball
10/21/2011, 03:56 PM
The SEC should be after a better football school than Missouri or at least get someone with better regional ties.

And Mizzou should be holding out for the Big Ten bid it so desperately desires.

This just seems like a case of two people desperate to get married for the dumbest reasons (i.e. "mommy says no sex before marriage and I WANNA HAVE SEX NOW!") that they will marry the first person that asks/doesn't turn them down.

Both these entities can do so much better than each other that they really should both mutually decide to NOT go forward with this!

Like you guys really CARE about what's best for the SEC or Mizzou! ;)

Seriously, looks like it's a done deal, so they obviously don't care what you or I think....I predict this will force the Big 12 to either recruit BYU or Louisville. You guys need a 10th team just like we need a 14th team...

jkjsooner
10/21/2011, 04:07 PM
Donnie Duncan was AD. Hill was associate AD I believe.

daboman of Aggieland
10/21/2011, 04:23 PM
Seriously, looks like it's a done deal, so they obviously don't care what you or I think....I predict this will force the Big 12 to either recruit BYU or Louisville. You guys need a 10th team just like we need a 14th team...
It was widely reported in Texas that Deloss Dodds didn't want TCU as an add. He only agreed to it after his pick, BYU, turned the conference down. If that's the case, I don't see how they would be in play. What I keep seeing again and again is that Louisville has an invitation waiting when/if Mizzou leaves and that the league stays at ten teams.

I don't know when they could get out of the Big East with their 27 month waiting period. On the other hand, the Big East's problems would be showcased for the viewing audience any time Pitt or Syracuse or Louisville had a game televised. They already look bad enough, so maybe they would just let those three leave? I know that they made BC play a lame duck season, but they weren't in the news then like they are now, and it's three teams instead of one.

badger
10/21/2011, 04:38 PM
Like you guys really CARE about what's best for the SEC or Mizzou! ;)

OK, since you have the SEC's best interest at heart, do you think Mizzou is the best you all can do or are you just settling -- the almighty SEC! -- SETTLING for what is available.

Sooner5030
10/21/2011, 04:40 PM
Actually no because the TV contract requires a minimum of 10 teams. Thats why if Missouri leaves for the 2012 season the Big 12 will either have to add 1 or 3 teams or renegoiate the contract that would probably give them considerbly less money

You're smoking crack if you think we'll have to renegotiate our tier one after losing MU. That contract is so old that ABC is making good money regardless of 9 vs 10. The FOX/FSN/FX tier 2 deal is the newest and it was for ten teams. We'll replace MU with either UL, WVU or BYU and that will be fine.

My point was that with both aTm and MU leaving the remaining teams will get a larger cut than expected.

alabama sooner
10/21/2011, 06:01 PM
Today's decision to give Missouri Chancellor Deaton the authority to make a unilateral decision on Missouri's future means unequivocally that their decision to move to the SEC will wait only for the SEC's fine print to be viewed by Missouri lawyers. Next signal will be an announcement of a meeting by SEC AD's. I figure 2 weeks at most before it is official.

That being said Neinas' sole activity now should be to determine the immediate availability of BYU. Though Louisville or West Virginia may be more attractive and in fact may eventually finish out a B12 to B14 list, they cannot start playing B12 for 2 years. The facts are not certain that BYU turned us down before. Even if they did, it was because the conference realignment picture was not clear. Missouri's departure (even though I wished it not to be true) is the spike that nails down our conference's stability. Get this out of the way and add BYU and we can talk about West Virginia and Louisville without worrying about what might happen before they get here.

Sooner5030
10/21/2011, 06:10 PM
Today's decision to give Missouri Chancellor Deaton the authority to make a unilateral decision on Missouri's future means unequivocally that their decision to move to the SEC will wait only for the SEC's fine print to be viewed by Missouri lawyers. Next signal will be an announcement of a meeting by SEC AD's. I figure 2 weeks at most before it is official.

That being said Neinas' sole activity now should be to determine the immediate availability of BYU. Though Louisville or West Virginia may be more attractive and in fact may eventually finish out a B12 to B14 list, they cannot start playing B12 for 2 years. The facts are not certain that BYU turned us down before. Even if they did, it was because the conference realignment picture was not clear. Missouri's departure (even though I wished it not to be true) is the spike that nails down our conference's stability. Get this out of the way and add BYU and we can talk about West Virginia and Louisville without worrying about what might happen before they get here.

I like BYU first also but I worry the schools will look at the short term financial advantage of 10 with BYU vs 12 with BYU/WVU/UL and be fine with sitting at 10. I think the "ten teams" idea has second and third order negative effects in the long run. We need to get to 12 and then stand with the other 12 team conferences when the BCS contract is up.

silverwheels
10/21/2011, 06:10 PM
BYU didn't turn down the Big 12; the Big 12 declined to offer BYU. Apparently they wanted special treatment beyond their policy of not playing on Sundays.

Lott's Bandana
10/21/2011, 06:26 PM
Supposedly, (it seems wise to start posts like this now in this thread) BYU demands a certain number of nationally televised games per year, as well as their no-Sunday policy. According to another report, the BigXII either didn't want to, or failed to get any of the networks to sign off on this, so BYU was tabled several weeks ago and attention was turned to Ft Worth.

alabama sooner
10/21/2011, 08:03 PM
I don't believe B12 can wait long to make a decision on what to do after Missouri leaves with SEC consent. That is why I think they will work the BYU issue first. BYU wants in. Period. They won't fret too much over the details because they know B12 has other options.

More importantly for B12 is the fact that once Missouri officially opts out, then Big East begins their major press. Boise State is also hoping for B12 instead of Big East. That is why they have not committed to the open Big East invitation. They're not sure Big East will remain an AQ for BCS. However, they won't get a sniff of B12 unless one of the following 3 does not get an invite, namely BYU (1st only because they can play in 2012 to make 10), then Louisville (TV market and no football threat), and finally West Virginia (not so good TV but decent football with probably no consistent threat to OU/Tx).

Frankly, I think the biggest problem internally will be getting agreement to go to 12 versus staying at 10. I think Neinas will not only work the BYU issue but try very hard to quickly get agreement on either 10 or 12 across conference. If he cannot get agreement on 12, we may go ahead and invite Louisville despite BYU earlier availability. Then live with 9 for a couple of seasons, crossing our collective fingers that we don't have another blow up (not likely unless a new television contract creates issues again). Staying at 10 will result in a big sigh of relief from Big East.

silverwheels
10/21/2011, 08:18 PM
BYU has no leverage, though. They're never going to get invited to the Pac-#. The Big 12 holds all the cards in this case. We don't need BYU. Would it be nice to have them? Yes, but we don't necessarily need them. No need to cave to anything.

soonervegas
10/21/2011, 08:18 PM
I do hope we end up with WV. They are a better program than Mizzou, A&M, and Colorado and will give Big 12 members fits.

SoCal
10/21/2011, 10:21 PM
BYU tailgaters frustrated with parking, school regulations

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=17767562

SoonerMom2
10/21/2011, 10:46 PM
ESPN just did a report from Joe Schad basically saying MO is going to the SEC. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7131557/missouri-tigers-give-chancellor-authority-strike-deal

Also saying in that article that the Big 12 has a regularly scheduled meeting on Monday where realignment will be discussed. They are looking at Louisville, WV and possibly Cincy and BYU for football only. Why would we take BYU for football only which tells me BYU is a non-starter for the Big 12. Loved Bill Self's comments that if MO was not in the Big 12 his interest in MO would wane. KC expects to lose the Big 12 tournament without MO -- I would agree with that -- put it in OKC!!!

dennis580
10/22/2011, 09:59 AM
You guys need a 10th team just like we need a 14th team...

NO we NEED 12 teams NOT 10 teams. At least losing Missouri will make it a lot more likely that we go back to 12 teams.

dennis580
10/22/2011, 10:06 AM
My best guess is that we go to 12 with BYU, West Virginia, and Louisville.

IronHorseSooner
10/22/2011, 10:21 AM

I have believed this for a while. BYU wants to be in a BCS conference. The PAC-12 doesn't want them because of religious reasons. They don't fit into the Big East or ACC, and they won't get near the B1G or the SEC. Hence BYU is a slam-dunk/target of opportunity. I think WVU and the 'Ville are a package deal. Maybe they are not formally, but I am sure that the conference would like for there to be a rivalry between the two. The only other ones that would make sense would be BSU and USAFA. In fact, I could make a better argument for the likelihood of that happening. BSU and USAFA would not require wrangling with another BCS conference. Both BSU and USAFA could exit the MW without much of a problem. Furthermore, with MW and CUSA merging, they would actually need for the conference to be cut down a bit from the current 22 team format. Hence, I would look for teams like Houston, SMU, UCF, East Carolina, and even Marshall to look to get into the Big East.

Lott's Bandana
10/22/2011, 11:11 AM
Misery to the SEC EAST.

::rolling eyes::

Sabanball
10/22/2011, 11:13 AM
OK, since you have the SEC's best interest at heart, do you think Mizzou is the best you all can do or are you just settling -- the almighty SEC! -- SETTLING for what is available.

Badger,

I already told you, I've been against adding Mizzou from the get- go! As a precursor for any school to be in the SEC, I think it needs to make sense geographically and culturally, and Mizzou does NOT fit that bill. I don't think we're settling so much as I just think the suits in the SEC office are looking at adding eyeballs/tv sets and that is really the only thing that seems to be getting any consideration. The almighty dollar is driving the ship, our core identity as a league seemingly be damned.... If we did what I wanted, we'd have extended an offer to West Virginia instead and called it a day. WV is more culturally aligned with the South, has no pro sports to compete against, has a rabid fan base, consistently puts a good product on the field/court, and very importantly WANTS to be in the SEC. The only drawback--they don't add a major tv market.

silverwheels
10/22/2011, 01:29 PM

Cincinnati instead of BYU.

TulsaSooners
10/23/2011, 01:39 AM
Worst. Conference. Ever. Get us the hell out of this catastrophe Boren!!!

General Applewhite
10/23/2011, 07:57 AM
Worst. Conference. Ever. Get us the hell out of this catastrophe Boren!!!

Pac said no OU without Texas and Boren won't do the SEC - what is left? OU's academics aren't good enough for the Big 10 and the Big East is crumbling so it is Big 12 or ACC......and the ACC might also have issues with OU's academics. Not a lot of options.....

RonnieB
10/23/2011, 04:51 PM
Mizzou outlines reasons membership in SEC is better than Big 12, $, TV, & Academics: 33 million more tv sets, up to $12 million more revenue per year. Currently = # of members in the academically prestigious American Assoc. of Universities. UF, Vandy, aTm, + Mizz. would give SEC 1 more than Big 12 AAU members. Mizz avg. SAT scores will also rank lower in SEC than it does in Big 12. Borens reasons for not wanting to join SEC (academic/NCAA violations) don't seem to hold water considering his desire to join the PAC 12 w/ both USC and UO on probation. Seems more politically motivated w/ PAC 12 being left coast, SEC more conservative. How can we accept programs like vandy & Miss St earming that much more $ than OU. SEC probably won't extend an invitation to OU if we insist on OS? tagging along. Let the cowpukes seek membership in C-USA where they belong.

ouflak
10/24/2011, 07:28 AM
SEC probably won't extend an invitation to OU if we insist on OS? tagging along.

If OSU wins the national title this year, maybe they (or the PAC) will change their mind about that tagging along thing.

swardboy
10/24/2011, 03:55 PM
NORMAN, Okla. -- The Big 12 Conference would like to move quickly if Missouri chooses to leave the conference, Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione said Saturday.
The Tigers could be leaving the Big 12 after Missouri curators gave chancellor Brady Deaton the authority to move the team out of the Big 12 on Friday. Missouri is debating a move to the SEC.
More from SoonerNation http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/ncaa/med/trans/201.gif Everything Oklahoma, from recruiting to news to game coverage, is available at ESPN.com's SoonerNation (http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/index).
More:
• ESPN.com Recruiting coverage (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/)
• ESPN.com's Big 12 blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12)

If Missouri leaves, Castiglione said the Big 12 has a "Plan A" and "Plan 1-A" but did not discuss specific teams outside of BYU. He also said he was hopeful Missouri would remain in the Big 12.
"I think our intent would be to move as quickly as we could," Castiglione said. "There may be other issues that hinder our ability to move as quick as we want. Behind the scenes we will be doing as much as we can as quick as we can to resolve it."
West Virginia could be the top choice to replace Missouri if the Tigers left the conference, a source with direct knowledge of the Big 12's expansion plans told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Satuday. The source said the league is more inclined to go to 10 teams in the short term while it assesses the pros and cons of 10 or 12 teams.
Louisville is a close third behind West Virginia and BYU with Cincinnati the fourth choice, according to the source.
"People want to get this moving forward as quick as we can but it depends on what we face," Castiglione said.

A Big 12 school administrator told the Austin American-Statesman on Sunday that he thought West Virginia would be an upgrade over Missouri.
"I'd say West Virginia is the leader in the clubhouse," the official told the newspaper." I think we'll come out better than before. I'd rather be with someone who wants to be with our conference than anybody who doesn't. ...
"West Virginia has better football than Missouri, better basketball than Missouri, a better budget than Missouri and more passion among its fans than Missouri. They're better, anyway you turn 'em. The travel's not good but that's it."
A second administrator told the Statesman that he preferred Louisville because it is closer to the other Big 12 schools and has a stronger academic reputation than West Virginia.

Sooner5030
10/24/2011, 04:09 PM
I hope they are weighing all options.....some three team combo from BYU, USF, WVU, UL & Cincy. Tamp Bay would be agreat market to get into and it's about 900 miles from dallas compared to 1200 for Provo. Pick the three most likely to get scooped up and then position to pick up others if CFB goes to supers (spit).

IMO we need to get to twelve even at the expense of a short term drop in revenue per school.

badger
10/24/2011, 04:17 PM
Badger,

I already told you, I've been against adding Mizzou from the get- go! As a precursor for any school to be in the SEC, I think it needs to make sense geographically and culturally, and Mizzou does NOT fit that bill. I don't think we're settling so much as I just think the suits in the SEC office are looking at adding eyeballs/tv sets and that is really the only thing that seems to be getting any consideration. The almighty dollar is driving the ship, our core identity as a league seemingly be damned.... If we did what I wanted, we'd have extended an offer to West Virginia instead and called it a day. WV is more culturally aligned with the South, has no pro sports to compete against, has a rabid fan base, consistently puts a good product on the field/court, and very importantly WANTS to be in the SEC. The only drawback--they don't add a major tv market.

OK, just wanted to be clear :D

Every time I lurk the Mizz boards, they are really gung ho on everything SEC... probably because their football season is sucking so far (and not our level of misery from one loss, mind you).

I know a lot of you SEC'ers were kind of hoping that OU would come, but as Bammers, I'm sure you understand what having a little orange brother in your state that must tag along for everything is like. I think that OU didn't reject the SEC. I think OU rejected the idea that they would abandon little orange brother for the SEC.

Sabanball
10/24/2011, 06:53 PM
Big 12 interim commish says Mizzou did NOT give notice of withdrawal today...

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/2172

King Barry's Back
10/25/2011, 05:55 AM
If OSU wins the national title this year, maybe they (or the PAC) will change their mind about that tagging along thing.

Bejeebus. No need to start throwing out worst case scenarios.

OULenexaman
10/25/2011, 08:30 AM

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/2172 mizzery playing attention whore again.....

badger
10/25/2011, 08:43 AM

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/2172

You SECers are really gonna let Mizzou down if you don't take them. With their crappy football season the SEC is all they have to look forward to (and yes, I realize that means that they pretty much will have nothing but crappy football seasons if they go to your conference)

3rdgensooner
10/25/2011, 11:03 AM
WVU will get invite to Big 12 if Missouri leaves (http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32936807)

Posted on: October 25, 2011 11:22 am

Shortly after Missouri officially announces it is withdrawing from the Big 12, West Virginia will be extended an invitation to join the Big 12, college football industry sources told CBSSports.com.

The Mountaineers invitation to the Big 12 is contingent on Missouri leaving for the SEC. Once Missouri notifies the Big 12 it is leaving, the Mountaineers' official invitation could come within "24-48 hours," a source said.

The Mountaineers would be the latest to leave the Big East Conference. Pittsburgh and Syracuse announced they are leaving for the ACC and TCU will join the Big 12 next season.

If West Virginia informs the Big East of its intention to leave before the league adds Navy or Air Force, the Mountaineers would only be held to a $5 million exit fee. If the Big East has added Navy or Air Force before the Mountaineers notify the Big East, they would have to pay $10 million. Either way, the Mountaineers would not be able to leave the Big East until June 30, 2014 – the same time frame as Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

Without West Virginia, Pitt, Syracuse and TCU, the remaining football league members are UConn, Rutgers, USF, Louisville and Cincinnati.

Two days ago in Washington D.C., Big East commissioner John Marinatto met with officials from Boise State, Houston, SMU, UCF and Navy, but no official invitations were extended. Air Force did not attend the meeting. Representatives from other Big East schools also attended.

The Big East hopes to add those schools – along with Air Force – to get to a 12-team football league. Even if the Big East adds those schools, without West Virginia, they still would need another school.

The Western contingent of the Big East's possible future members - Boise State, Air Force, Houston and SMU - are pushing for the Big East to pursue BYU. It's unknown if the Cougars, which had talks with the Big 12, would be interested in joining a 12-team Big East.

If the Big East could land BYU - along with the other five new schools - it would have two divisions: West - BYU, Air Force, Houston, SMU, Boise State and Louisville and East - UConn, Rutgers, USF, Cincinnati, Navy and UCF that Big East officials are confident would be worthy of retaining its BCS automatic qualifying status.

Besides BYU, other possible candidates for the Big East's 12th member would be Temple or East Carolina.

badger
10/25/2011, 11:25 AM
As much as I think WVU will provide better basketball and football competition and butts in seats than hapless hopeless Misery, I hope they can find a way to leave the Big East before 2014 if they're coming to the Big 12. :mad:

OULenexaman
10/25/2011, 11:56 AM
Jayhawks won't like this...

badger
10/25/2011, 11:59 AM
Jayhawks won't like this...

I think they're starting to get annoyed with MU along with the rest of the big 12. It's like "yes, we want you to stay, but will you please hurry up and decide so we can all move on and stop talking about this?" And Mizzou is like "Tell me that you love me again." And Kansas is like "We love you. Now will you please decide." Mizzou: "How much do you love me?" Kansas: "A lot. And your decision is..." Mizzou: "Why don't you Big 12 guys every buy me a pony? Texas has a pony." And then KU and the Big 12 are like "You don't f&&&ing deserve a f&&&ing pony your f&&&ing pricks! Just go to the f&&&ing SEC" and then Mizzou humbly admits "Ummm... we actually haven't been invited yet and don't know if we ever will be."

OULenexaman
10/25/2011, 12:06 PM
I meant the Jayhawks will not like WVA in conference BB play...

badger
10/25/2011, 12:32 PM
I meant the Jayhawks will not like WVA in conference BB play...

Oh! Why not? It gives em a potentially ranked opponent to improve their SOS when they're fighting for a 1-seed.

OULenexaman
10/25/2011, 12:58 PM
if they can beat em...

3rdgensooner
10/25/2011, 01:16 PM
So they'd bring a former KSU basketball coach and former OSU football coach and WVU is a land grant university--thus more aggies.

3rdgensooner
10/25/2011, 01:29 PM
BTW, the distance from OK to WV is a couple hundred miles shorter than the distance from AZ to WA.

badger
10/25/2011, 04:37 PM
I know none of us trust Orangebloods farther than we can make a field goal consistently, but linky link link (http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1283801)

Ashkill
10/25/2011, 07:01 PM
Is it sad that at this point I am happy it's WV and not rice/Houston/tulane. The ND news which, I am not sure I believe, would sure help the SOS and a future television contract.

silverwheels
10/25/2011, 07:35 PM
I hope the ND bit is false. Just gives Texas precedent to go independent in football and keep their non-football sports in the Big 12. Notre Dame needs to be all-in or they can go away. Screw them; they've been living off perception for almost 2 decades now.

RonnieB
10/25/2011, 08:40 PM
WOW! This one is for everybody that is happy we got West Virginny. This will be the best road trip in the conference. Definitely our kind of folks. You must see this, Hilarious. Someone please get us out of this and into the sec.
The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia - 2009 Tribeca Film Festival
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=8Q6G_WqLp1w

Is it sad that at this point I am happy it's WV and not rice/Houston/tulane. The ND news which, I am not sure I believe, would sure help the SOS and a future television contract.

Ashkill
10/25/2011, 08:41 PM
I hope the ND bit is false. Just gives Texas precedent to go independent in football and keep their non-football sports in the Big 12. Notre Dame needs to be all-in or they can go away. Screw them; they've been living off perception for almost 2 decades now.

First off I don't think the ND rumor is true. But if it is it would give 6 games in which the large ND tv audience would tune into. If we Package that with a guaranteed to play OU and Texas every year. Give Texas thanksgiving day, us a early date. Grab Byu. I would think you could get a contract from Espn on all three tiers to keep Texas and OU happy for a long time.

silverwheels
10/25/2011, 10:11 PM
BYU isn't happening. They want too many concessions. They think they're Texas and they're not. Texas shouldn't even be getting special treatment, but they are.

silverwheels
10/25/2011, 10:13 PM
WOW! This one is for everybody that is happy we got West Virginny. This will be the best road trip in the conference. Definitely our kind of folks. You must see this, Hilarious. Someone please get us out of this and into the sec.

West Virginia is one of the better options we could have had. The SEC isn't going to happen so you might as well give up on it, or become a fan of a team in the SEC. And slamming West Virginia for being backwoods while pining for the SEC is like saying you would never date an overweight lesbian and then asking out Rosie O'Donnell on a date.

delhalew
10/25/2011, 10:44 PM

You better not leave the metro area Mr. Fancypants. I'd hate for you to run into the pill popping, meth cooking rednecks I grew up with in this great state.

Veritas
10/25/2011, 11:10 PM
WV is a solid add. Glad to see it.

BASSooner
10/26/2011, 12:21 AM
still want out of this POS conference but WVU is a great addition.

Octavian
10/26/2011, 01:53 AM
WV is a good add. Like with the TCU addition, we've gone for football respectability over large new markets. This is probably because our TV contracts are based upon national interest on Tiers 1/2, and we don't have a T3 conference network. It makes sense. Good hoops too.

The ND angle is intriguing. I'm 100% all for it as long as OU gets whatever Texas does....and that means an annual home/home series with the Irish. If UT wants a yearly game with the ND, OU should get that too. If ND isn't down for that, they can go kick rocks.

This isn't 1991, and ND doesn't have nearly the leverage they used to enjoy. They've been cruising on an ancient reputation for two decades now. If they don't like that and want to throw all-in with the ACC or Big Ten, that's fine too. They won't get a better deal anywhere else than with the Big 12, and OU should get what we've earned on the field.

RonnieB
10/26/2011, 04:34 AM
Certainly Rice w/ the academic prestige, Houston with the 4th largest media market in the Nation, and Tulane with one of the top tourist destinations in the country, not to mention academic credibility, wouldn't be a smart move. But this is college football, its all about letter sweaters & milkshakes right? WV isn't a terrible move, actually an upgrade over Mizzouri. And what a road trip! http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=8Q6G_WqLp1w

OULenexaman
10/26/2011, 08:54 AM
Milkshakes??? NOOB alert.

Tear Down This Wall
10/26/2011, 10:44 AM
Hard to believe how desperate they've become to keep the Big 12 together. West Virginia and TCU. Of all the times in the history of the program where we needed a president and athletic director with some balls. Bitch-slapped by a basketball conference on the west coast, we spread our legs for TCU and West Virginia, adding absolutely nothing in national appeal or television markets.

DeLoss Dodds will die of laughter if he dies today. He's got the Big 12 and its new commissioner by the balls. Amazing. And, pathetic. Total and complete capitulation to Texas.

Those dopes running our show must really believe there is some sort of Longhorn Network-type deal out there for us to stick around for this garbage. They are wrong, but that has to be why they are going along with this. What other BCS conference chases programs that add nothing?

OULenexaman
10/26/2011, 10:48 AM
I'd say the SEC is one of them....

Tear Down This Wall
10/26/2011, 11:05 AM
I'd say the SEC is one of them....

Really? What school has the SEC added that doesn't give them broader television and recruiting? A&M delivers Houston and Dallas with the number of former Aggies in those cities and gives the SEC a bigger in to Texas recruiting-wise. Missouri gives St. Louis and Kansas City, and allows them a bigger recruiting presence there are well. Those are real television markets and areas that provide good national recruiting.

We'll now be beaming into 150+ television ranking category in West Virginia. Wow. Dallas we're already in, and the DFW media ignores TCU anyway. We're already more televised in DFW than TCU, and we already out-recruit them there.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

When people talk about "our next contract" or the "renewal of the TV deal" what the hell kind of leverage do you think we have with West Virginia? We've got zero. Dick. Nada.

ouflak
10/26/2011, 11:15 AM
When people talk about "our next contract" or the "renewal of the TV deal" what the hell kind of leverage do you think we have with West Virginia? We've got zero. Dick. Nada.

None. Probably even less than before. But I think that is not the point now. I think the point now is to wait and see how successful this LHN thing is. In the next 6 years give-or-take, we should know if this is a doable (profitable (ok... highly profitable)) thing to try. If it isn't, we all shake hands and part ways. If it is, then OU gets a network and the ball starts rolling for other major programs to try and do the same.

So we wait and we watch. And hope and pray that we don't become a Tulane, the poster child for a college program that had a great situation with a great future and made a massively disastrous decision as far as conference affiliation is concerned, and paid the price by dooming itself to eternal obscurity.

soonerboomer93
10/26/2011, 11:51 AM
BYU isn't happening. They want too many concessions. They think they're Texas and they're not. Texas shouldn't even be getting special treatment, but they are.

It also no longer makes geographical sense if the WVU rumor is true. Then you're stretching the conference from Morgantown to Provo. It's almost 2k miles from Provo to Morgantown (and a 2 time zone difference). That kind of travel is something the core conference members aren't really in favor of. Yes it's only an out lier, but I think it would make more sense geographically to expand to the east (getting cincinatti and louisville pick 1 if mizzou stays).

OULenexaman
10/26/2011, 12:17 PM
I'm not talking TV markets wall...never mind.

soonerboomer93
10/26/2011, 12:22 PM
Really? What school has the SEC added that doesn't give them broader television and recruiting? A&M delivers Houston and Dallas with the number of former Aggies in those cities and gives the SEC a bigger in to Texas recruiting-wise. Missouri gives St. Louis and Kansas City, and allows them a bigger recruiting presence there are well. Those are real television markets and areas that provide good national recruiting.

We'll now be beaming into 150+ television ranking category in West Virginia. Wow. Dallas we're already in, and the DFW media ignores TCU anyway. We're already more televised in DFW than TCU, and we already out-recruit them there.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

I'm not going to say that tv markets don't matter, because they do. However, a conference having compelling matchups help. WVU is a competitive team who has been to BCS bowls. When's the last time a&m or mizzou were in one? How much does a BCS game bring to the conference, especially when we can get 2 teams in?

Fact is, for the past decade the Big 12 has been the 2nd best conference for football. With the Big 12 south being one of the toughest divisions to play in. That draws audiences, there's a reason the KSU Baylor game had better ratings then the Yankee's MLB playoff game on that same saturday, and as I recall from the herd that monday, it didn't just have better ratings, it had something like double the ratings. How much does the tv market matter if no one is watching?

badger
10/26/2011, 12:25 PM
Ja, Oklahoma used to be the highest-rated football program in the country... not just in the AP poll, but in television ratings. How is that possible with our tiny TV markets and tiny state? Because we were d@mn good and we still are. We put eyeballs in front of televisions, butts in seats and peddle merchandise to tons of fans... despite our poor little backwards redneck state that isn't as highly sophisticated or populated as those elitist uppity coastal areas.

We are team Oklahoma. **** yeah.

FirstandGoal
10/26/2011, 01:12 PM
So are we the:

12-2-1+1+1-1,
or is it
12-2-1+1-1+1 ?

It gets so hard to keep up. :stupid:

silverwheels
10/26/2011, 02:56 PM
I'm not going to say that tv markets don't matter, because they do. However, a conference having compelling matchups help. WVU is a competitive team who has been to BCS bowls. When's the last time a&m or mizzou were in one? How much does a BCS game bring to the conference, especially when we can get 2 teams in?

Fact is, for the past decade the Big 12 has been the 2nd best conference for football. With the Big 12 south being one of the toughest divisions to play in. That draws audiences, there's a reason the KSU Baylor game had better ratings then the Yankee's MLB playoff game on that same saturday, and as I recall from the herd that monday, it didn't just have better ratings, it had something like double the ratings. How much does the tv market matter if no one is watching?

Yeah, right now the Big 12 needs to worry about the quality of the teams, which is why TCU was admitted (plus they keep another conference game in Texas for everyone, replacing A&M) and why the Big 12 invited West Virginia. Ten teams for now maximizes the revenue for conference members until the Tier 1 and 2 contracts come up, then the Big 12 would be smart to expand again and get more money from the networks.

soonerboomer93
10/26/2011, 03:04 PM
Yeah, right now the Big 12 needs to worry about the quality of the teams, which is why TCU was admitted (plus they keep another conference game in Texas for everyone, replacing A&M) and why the Big 12 invited West Virginia. Ten teams for now maximizes the revenue for conference members until the Tier 1 and 2 contracts come up, then the Big 12 would be smart to expand again and get more money from the networks.

Tier 2 was just renewed last summer. Their tier 1 comes up in a couple years.

silverwheels
10/26/2011, 03:16 PM
Oh yeah, the new FOX contract. Totally forgot.

OUinFLA
10/26/2011, 05:12 PM
I'm tiered out

Sooner5030
10/26/2011, 05:40 PM
the circus of this process is almost becoming more costly to the BIG12 than losing teams in the first place.

Agree to a plan....let the leadership pursue that plan.

northspeter
10/26/2011, 05:44 PM
invite louisville, west virginia and cincinatti and call it a day...

badger
10/26/2011, 05:53 PM
I'm tiered out

being proactive is hard work in conference allignment crap :D

delhalew
10/26/2011, 11:17 PM
Our conference presidents could **** up a wet dream.

OULenexaman
10/27/2011, 10:23 AM
Soooo.....I wonder what the day will bring. I'm thinking mizzery to SEC may be dead in the water.

OUinFLA
10/27/2011, 12:08 PM
If we can just make good on all our speculations, we could have the first 20 team mega conference.

OU Adonis
10/27/2011, 01:11 PM
I have an idea.. why don't we have a 96 team conference.

Then we could break that down into a 12 team division.

- where each division has a division championship

- 8 division champs play each other

- 4 remaining teams play each other

- 2 teams play each other and this can be the conference champion!

champions77
10/27/2011, 03:58 PM
Big XII..... Clueless or am I just expecting too much?

Monday the Big XII issued a press release announcing that the BIG XII was inviting West Virginia. It went on to state that the invitation was not contingent on Mizzou leaving. The next day, we are hearing that it IS contingent on Mizzou leaving. Now yesterday, we hear that OU and Texas are at odds about whether we invite West Virginia or Louisville, OU wanting Louisville instead. This after the conference already had invited West Virginia. Now Senators from both Kentucky and West Virginia are sparring about some dirty politics that is going on in the deal.

WTH? Why would any school want inclusion in this Chinese Fire Drill of a Conference? I know $$$$$. My gosh money can sure make people do some things that are otherwise really stupid.

President Boren..... you rejected the SEC for this? Can this disagreement with texas escalate into making Boren re-think about leaving Texas?

If this makes West Virginia and Louisville change their mind about the BIG XII, what then, Houston and SMU move back on the picture? OMG

OULenexaman
10/27/2011, 04:47 PM
nothing today....check back tomorrow. Good night Chet....

Ashkill
10/28/2011, 09:41 AM
Saw something like this on a horns board but I tweaked it a bit.

Div 1
OU
OSU
Iowa state
Kansas st
WV
TCU

Div 2
Texas
Tech
Baylor
Kansas
Louisville
BYu

Each would have one rival they play every year.
OU-Texas
OSU -Tech
Iowastate-baylor
Kansas-kstate*
WVU-Louisville
BYU-TCU

Would play five schools from there own division, one rival and three from the other for nine games.*

OUinFLA
10/28/2011, 10:25 AM
I'd bet UT would love that division of teams.

Boomer.....
10/28/2011, 10:30 AM
They're saying that West Virginia is once again in and we will stop at 10 teams.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7159905/west-virginia-mountaineers-formally-invited-join-big-12

OULenexaman
10/28/2011, 10:31 AM
that's why it was on a horn board...que up Billy Joel fanstasy song.

OULenexaman
10/28/2011, 10:37 AM
They're saying that West Virginia is once again in and we will stop at 10 teams.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7159905/west-virginia-mountaineers-formally-invited-join-big-12

So Mizzery really doesn't have a formal invite after all according to that write up......I say just kick them to the curb.

badger
10/28/2011, 11:06 AM
It's official dudes, The Big 12 vote was unanimous.

As for the Mizzou mishap, it might have been a site hacker, or the SEC prematurely ejecting them from the Big 12 :P

badger
10/28/2011, 11:13 AM
Before anyone asks, my source is RIGHT HERE:

http://www.big12sports.com/

Yes, the main page of the site "Welcomes WVU." can't get much more official than that (unless you're the SEC and it says that Mizzou is in, lol)

soonerboomer93
10/28/2011, 11:23 AM
So Mizzery really doesn't have a formal invite after all according to that write up......I say just kick them to the curb.

Saw posts indicating that Mizzou is just working on it's exiting fee.

Post from the Big 12 website regarding WVU had a very interesting tidbit:

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=205323383

Beginning with the 2012-13 season it is expected that the Big 12 Conference will be comprised of 10 Universities – Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech and West Virginia. The Big 12’s footprint will encompass five states with over 36 million people. More than 4,100 student-athletes from across the United States and around the World compete annually in the 23 sports sponsored by the Conference.

Notice a certain team not mentioned.

Lott's Bandana
10/28/2011, 11:24 AM
So we now have two purples and a highlighter.

At least, no more orange.

Lott's Bandana
10/28/2011, 11:26 AM
I'd be willing to vbet whorn gets them at home the first season.

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 11:31 AM

Does this mean we aren't even waiting for their response and kicking them out for being jackasses? I like that ending to the story better than them leaving...

SoonerMom2
10/28/2011, 11:41 AM
I love it that the Big 12 beat them to the punch.

OULenexaman
10/28/2011, 11:42 AM
WVU looks to be some straight shooters.....

The rifle program has captured 14 national championships.

Boomer.....
10/28/2011, 11:47 AM

SEC affiliated site announces Mizzou move early (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7159907/southeastern-conference-website-prematurely-welcomes-mizzou-tigers-conference)

SEC officials said Friday that the league's web vendor mistakenly published a news release Thursday night announcing Missouri as the conference's newest member.

Missouri officials are currently deciding whether to leave the Big 12 for the SEC. But, judging from the news release published on the SEC's website for a few minutes Thursday night, Missouri apparently already has made up its mind.

The news story on the SEC site had a release date of Oct. 31.

Look for some news next Monday.

OULenexaman
10/28/2011, 12:08 PM
so for right now Mizzery is homeless.....

badger
10/28/2011, 12:10 PM
so for right now Mizzery is homeless.....

Sounds Mizzerable

OULenexaman
10/28/2011, 12:13 PM
help me Mr. Wizzard help!!!!

MeMyself&Me
10/28/2011, 02:19 PM
Saw something like this on a horns board but I tweaked it a bit.

Div 1
OU
OSU
Iowa state
Kansas st
WV
TCU

Div 2
Texas
Tech
Baylor
Kansas
Louisville
BYu

Each would have one rival they play every year.
OU-Texas
OSU -Tech
Iowastate-baylor
Kansas-kstate*
WVU-Louisville
BYU-TCU

Would play five schools from there own division, one rival and three from the other for nine games.*

Really bad scenario for OU. Only one Texas team in its division.

soonerboomer93
10/28/2011, 03:57 PM
I'd be willing to vbet whorn gets them at home the first season.

Considering they'll probably be assigned misery's schedule (like was done with tcu) that a safe bet. First conference game appears to be OU in Morgantown in 9/29/12.

3rdgensooner
10/28/2011, 03:59 PM
First conference game appears to be OU in Morgantown in 9/29/12.Of course it is.

LASooner
10/28/2011, 05:04 PM
I'd rather add Cincy than BYU, it's a bigger city than Salt Lake and better recruiting territory, besides if we take Cincy and Lousiville that will effectively kill the Big East and no penalties will be paid and no waiting period for the new teams to join

northspeter
10/28/2011, 05:09 PM
i think thats what we'll see LA... cincy and louisville in 2013... the big 12 gains some tv markets in ohio and pennsylvania... with these moves...

Sooner5030
10/28/2011, 05:22 PM
if no BYU then the debate has to be Cincy vs. USF. Which would UL and WVU prefer?

...assuming UL would be next.

Sooner95
10/28/2011, 06:39 PM
Doesn't sound like Louisville is going anywhere, but then again if the Bigeast keeps pissing them off I think they may just jump ship. Would make sense for them to join Big12 now.

MeMyself&Me
10/28/2011, 07:16 PM
At this point, I'd rather sit tight with WV and see if we can get that 6 football game rotation that would come with ND's non-football sports and then make a hard push for ND (as full member) and Pitt when tier one is up for renewal. If we get 'em, that's the best case scenario for the Big 12. If we don't, that's not a bad deal either.

If ND doesn't join olympic sports and a 6 football game rotation then go ahead and get Louisville and South Florida. **** Cincy, nothing positive about adding them except geography.

OULenexaman
10/31/2011, 09:20 AM
Sounds Mizzerable All quiet at the official SEC site.....could mizzery be left at the alter again today??

TheHumanAlphabet
10/31/2011, 10:14 AM
Don't know about the alter, they are an altered bunch of people. But hope they do get left at the altar though. ;)

And please, no ND unless they fully commit to the conference for all sports.

Why no BYU talk now? In addition to Louisville, wouldn't mind seeing a Florida team in the mix, UCF or USF...

ouflak
10/31/2011, 11:53 AM
Most likely Missouri just doesn't want to join next year. They want to wait until atleast the year after, if not until 2014. This would allow them to give a good long-term notice, pay less of an exit fee, and work on keeping their Kansas rivalry intact. The SEC wants now. I wonder how Slive is feeling about that '4-teams-in-15-minutes' remark now?

It has got to be obvious now that BYU is just not working out. Curiously I can't seem to find any solid confirmation that the Big XII has had official contact with them, but two commissioners and apparent loads of interest from both sides have turned up only the addition of a completely different school. And I am pretty sure that OU/UT are NOT going to let this conference go to 12 teams.

I'm fairly certain now that WVU's invite/acceptance is no longer contingent on Missouri leaving. So it may be that this conference ends up puttering along for a couple of years with 11 teams. As we know with our neighbors to the North (B1G), it's doable. I wouldn't mind this result. Atleast until we find a more stable permanent conference.

swardboy
10/31/2011, 12:42 PM
I just think that either of the Florida schools would be very attractive...with USF my choice.

GreenSooner
10/31/2011, 01:43 PM
And I am pretty sure that OU/UT are NOT going to let this conference go to 12 teams.

As far as I can tell, this is entirely correct....but why? What do OU and UT have against a 12 team conference? Like baseball was to SNL's Chico Escuela, the twelve team conference has been very, very good to UT and OU. Adding another two weak teams to a weak other division only makes it easier to go to the MNC. I understand that the tv revenue pot needs to be divided twelve ways instead of ten. But I assume a conference championship game would increase the tv revenue pot (as would the addition of two more credible teams). And OU and UT are the last teams in the conference who need to worry about tier one tv monies.

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2011, 01:57 PM
We are giving up $$$ to even the distribution of income throughout the conference. Because of that, why would you think giving up CCG revenues is so unbelievable? Austin and Norman both prefer not giving the North teams a shot at ruining a run to the BCS Nat Champ game in a CCG game. The payoff of a NC is much greater than a handful of CCG victories.

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2011, 02:07 PM
According to CBSSports, the CouchBurners are in the process of suing the Big East in order to leave and be in the BigXII next year.

ouflak
10/31/2011, 02:26 PM
I'm sure they've done the math on this. Unless its something insanely unrealistic like Notre Dame, we stay at 10 teams in football, 11 if Missouri stays.

badger
10/31/2011, 04:18 PM
I think the reason the larger schools might be holding back from a 12-team conference is because the more conference teams there are, the fewer home football games you schedule (home-and-home is assumed in conference play, unlike non-conference play where you can buyout a home-and-home or schedule 2-for-1's or cupcake home games).

But really, I have no clue. This conference reallignment thing has not really gone as anyone has expected thus far.

Mizzou best be staying put rather than subjected to a non-regional conference... division. Not just the SEC, but the SEC East? Seriously?!

SoonerMom2
10/31/2011, 04:33 PM
ESPN just announced in email: ESPN NCAAF - West Virginia files lawsuit seeking immediate withdrawal from Big East so it can join Big 12

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2011, 05:06 PM
According to CBSSports, the CouchBurners are in the process of suing the Big East in order to leave and be in the BigXII next year.

CBS was already on it.

SoonerMom2
10/31/2011, 05:28 PM
Posted the full article from ESPN. There is also a Trammel article that says David Boren wants to go to 12 teams which we have been hearing that only TX wanted to stay at 10. Could they add Louisville if MO stays to go back to 12?

Don't know what the deal with with the SEC for MO but no one wants to go the Eastern part of the conference.

GreenSooner
10/31/2011, 07:54 PM
I think the reason the larger schools might be holding back from a 12-team conference is because the more conference teams there are, the fewer home football games you schedule (home-and-home is assumed in conference play, unlike non-conference play where you can buyout a home-and-home or schedule 2-for-1's or cupcake home games).

But really, I have no clue. This conference reallignment thing has not really gone as anyone has expected thus far.

But we played fewer conference games in the old twelve team conference (eight) than we're playing this year (nine).

MeMyself&Me
10/31/2011, 11:11 PM

Mizzou best be staying put rather than subjected to a non-regional conference... division. Not just the SEC, but the SEC East? Seriously?!

But we played fewer conference games in the old twelve team conference (eight) than we're playing this year (nine).

GreenSooner beat me to it. The thing is that once you go to divisions, you don't even have to play eight conference games if you're worried about having so many home games. In a 12 team conference, it's possible to play as few as 5 conference games.

ouflak
11/1/2011, 03:04 AM
I think for once, it's the SEC that's about to be left out in the cold....

badger
11/1/2011, 08:43 AM
I think for once, it's the SEC that's about to be left out in the cold....

I'd like to think that the SEC whoops on their site was just a red herring, or a hacker, but I doubt it. I would find it hilarious if Miz got left at the alter, but I doubt it. I would love them whimpering back to the Big 12 with their tails between their legs and us and everyone else continue to beat them in every major sport as a conference rival, but I doubt it.

As for "fewer conference games in divisional setup," I'm not sure we'd go away from round-robin even if we had 12 teams. They all seem to kind of enjoy it this year. Maybe we're done with divisions.

MeMyself&Me
11/1/2011, 10:37 AM
As for "fewer conference games in divisional setup," I'm not sure we'd go away from round-robin even if we had 12 teams. They all seem to kind of enjoy it this year. Maybe we're done with divisions.

I think OU and Texas prefer fewer conference games than even the 9 that they currently play. Playing round robin in a 12 team conference would mean only 1 non-con game. That doesn't work for how either OU or Texas traditionally schedules. Also, if they ever want to snag ND, they'd better have less conference games rather than more. I just don't see a round robin schedule with 12 teams.

soonerboomer93
11/1/2011, 11:27 AM
As far as I can tell, this is entirely correct....but why? What do OU and UT have against a 12 team conference? Like baseball was to SNL's Chico Escuela, the twelve team conference has been very, very good to UT and OU. Adding another two weak teams to a weak other division only makes it easier to go to the MNC. I understand that the tv revenue pot needs to be divided twelve ways instead of ten. But I assume a conference championship game would increase the tv revenue pot (as would the addition of two more credible teams). And OU and UT are the last teams in the conference who need to worry about tier one tv monies.

OU and UT don't want the conference championship game (and extra hurdle it brings). The other schools don't want to split money additional ways. (at least this is the rumor regarding it).

ouflak
11/1/2011, 12:14 PM
I'd like to think that the SEC whoops on their site was just a red herring, or a hacker, but I doubt it. I would find it hilarious if Miz got left at the alter, but I doubt it. I would love them whimpering back to the Big 12 with their tails between their legs and us and everyone else continue to beat them in every major sport as a conference rival, but I doubt it.

Still, I think the SEC is just asking for more than the Missouri is willing to give them, even to join their vaunted 'Best Conference in the Country'. And if/when they finally inform them that its not happening, I hope the stun from that denial causes Mike Slive's arrogant little sound bite to reverberate through his head for atleast a few days.

Hey Mike! If you're reading this:

"I can get 4 teams in 15 minutes."

SoonerLaw09
11/1/2011, 04:03 PM
Yahoo reports Big Least is set to invite Bois Estate, Air Farce, Navy (all 3 football only), smoo, hooston, and UCF (all sports). 2 divisions and a championship game.

We need to get teh Big 12 to, well, *twelve* ASAP. There are no more 10 team conferences. We stay at ten we are guaranteeing second-tier status in the future. We might even lose our auto-BCS bid, if we're the only FBS conference with 10 teams and no CCG. I sincerely hope the PTB get a clue and screw what Texass wants. Louisville would jump on in a heartbeat, and I have the feeling Cincy would not be far behind.

Linkage: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-bigeastexpansion

SoonerLaw09
11/1/2011, 04:06 PM
Or, we could invite Tulsa, I guess...

Landthief 1972
11/1/2011, 05:02 PM
Yahoo reports Big Least is set to invite Bois Estate, Air Farce, Navy (all 3 football only), smoo, hooston, and UCF (all sports). 2 divisions and a championship game.

We need to get teh Big 12 to, well, *twelve* ASAP. There are no more 10 team conferences. We stay at ten we are guaranteeing second-tier status in the future. We might even lose our auto-BCS bid, if we're the only FBS conference with 10 teams and no CCG. I sincerely hope the PTB get a clue and screw what Texass wants. Louisville would jump on in a heartbeat, and I have the feeling Cincy would not be far behind.

So...is the Big Least going to make their new invitees wait 27 months before they can join? :stupid:

Sco
11/2/2011, 10:53 AM

As long as OU and UT are in the conference, we'll never lose our auto-bid to the BCS.

SoonerMom2
11/2/2011, 10:55 AM
In spite of what some people have posted, OU with David Boren is pushing for 12 -- only UT is trying to keep 10. Would think Louisville is up next for the Big 12 so the Big East needs to invite even more. Doubt if Big East prevails -- they just want more money from WV.

badger
11/2/2011, 10:57 AM
Or, we could invite Tulsa, I guess...

Or Mempis. That way we can create Mempis signs just like C-USA people who hate Mempis and want to beat Mempis:

http://rangelife.typepad.com/rangelife/images/2008/02/20/uab1.jpg

BEAT MEMPIS!

OULenexaman
11/2/2011, 11:26 AM
It's high time that Mizzery and the SEC either ****'s or gets off the ****ing pot!!!

soonerboomer93
11/3/2011, 06:56 PM
Idaho State board gives approval for Boise State to move

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Idaho-State-Board-of-Education-has-given-Boise-State-consent-to-join-the-Big-East-Conference-110311

(interesting of note)

Kustra estimates the annual payout to Big East football members at $3.7 million, compared to the $1.9 million projected as the top payout in the Mountain West. The Big East is also in position to rework its television deal starting in 2012, creating the potential of an even bigger football payday.

Yeah, $3.7 million in revenue. Wow. In 2008-9 the worst payout in the Big 12, was 8.4 million.

MeMyself&Me
11/3/2011, 10:22 PM
Idaho State board gives approval for Boise State to move

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Idaho-State-Board-of-Education-has-given-Boise-State-consent-to-join-the-Big-East-Conference-110311

(interesting of note)

Yeah, $3.7 million in revenue. Wow. In 2008-9 the worst payout in the Big 12, was 8.4 million.

Based on the travel cost projections to current Big 12 members of adding BYU, it looks like BSU will be paying more in travel then they'll receive total from the Big East, never mind the difference of what the Big East adds vs the MWC.

ouflak
11/4/2011, 03:06 AM
Yeah, but they will be an AQ team. And you've all heard the old adage, "Once an AQ team, always an AQ team". If you haven't heard that, I guarantee you will be hearing it a lot in about 2-3 years when the BCS does its conference qualification review.

soonertrump1173
11/4/2011, 10:34 AM
I am working on a project for this whole realignment fiasco and a possible playoff layout. I need some help from all of you.
I need the top 3 rivals in priority order for each division 1 football team. I want to provide a conference layout that works in keeping traditional rivalries and even newer ones, but also works geographically and will sort of balance out the competition. The system I am devising is kinda complex (in a sense), but is pretty exciting and fair I think. (If you wish to know more about it or would like to brainstorm with me, feel free to private message me.) But in the mean time, I just need the rivalry information.
IE: Oklahoma - 1. Texas , 2. OSU, 3. Nebraska
I need this for all 120? D1 teams.

SoonerMom2
11/4/2011, 02:51 PM
ESPN reporting in email that Big East is suing WV for breaching their contract by coming to the Big 12 in 2012.

BASSooner
11/4/2011, 10:19 PM
five years...something will happen. Within those years, the BCS is up for renegotiations and will leave when given the opportunity.

Lott's Bandana
11/5/2011, 10:11 AM
I am working on a project for this whole realignment fiasco and a possible playoff layout. I need some help from all of you.
I need the top 3 rivals in priority order for each division 1 football team. I want to provide a conference layout that works in keeping traditional rivalries and even newer ones, but also works geographically and will sort of balance out the competition. The system I am devising is kinda complex (in a sense), but is pretty exciting and fair I think. (If you wish to know more about it or would like to brainstorm with me, feel free to private message me.) But in the mean time, I just need the rivalry information.
IE: Oklahoma - 1. Texas , 2. Nebraska, 3. Notre Dame , 4. Miami, 5. Maryland
I need this for all 120? D1 teams.

Historically speaking, which is probably what you don't want.

TulsaSooners
11/6/2011, 01:44 AM
West Virginia can't get in the SEC, desperately wants out of the Big East, and is held up joining the B12-3+1-1 (a step up).
Mizzou can't get in the B10, desperately wants out of the B12-3+1-1, and is held up joining the SEC (a step up).

Everyone wants to have a prettier date, but their ugly current girlfriends won't let them off the hook so easily.

Lott's Bandana
11/6/2011, 11:03 AM
About as surprising as the sun coming up, it is now official:

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/33131078

The worst kept secret in the south became official Sunday morning, as the Southeastern Conference officially announced that Missouri would join the league in 2012 along with Texas A&M. The announcement from the SEC is below.
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (November 6, 2011) – The Southeastern Conference Presidents and Chancellors, acting unanimously, announced today that the University of Missouri will join the Southeastern Conference effective July 1, 2012, with competition to begin in all sports for the 2012-13 academic year.
The addition of Missouri will increase SEC membership to 14 institutions. The additions of Texas A&M, announced on September 25, 2011, and Missouri, are the first expansions for the SEC since September of 1991 when the University of South Carolina joined the league. The University of Arkansas joined the SEC in August of 1991. With the addition of Arkansas and South Carolina, the SEC was the first conference to split into divisions and add a conference championship game in 1992.
“The Presidents and Chancellors of the Southeastern Conference are pleased to welcome the University of Missouri to the SEC,” said Dr. Bernie Machen, President of the SEC Presidents and Chancellors and president of the University of Florida. “The University of Missouri is a prestigious academic institution with a strong athletic tradition and a culture similar to our current institutions.”
“The Southeastern Conference is a highly successful, stable, premier athletic conference that offers exciting opportunities for the University of Missouri,” said Chancellor Brady J. Deaton. “In joining the SEC, MU partners with universities distinguished for their academic programs and their emphasis on student success. The SEC will provide our student-athletes with top flight competition and unparalleled visibility. We came to this decision after careful consideration of the long term best interests of our university. We believe the Southeastern Conference is an outstanding home for the Mizzou Tigers, and we take great pride in our association with this distinguished league.”
Missouri, located in Columbia, will also be the fourth institution in the Southeastern Conference to hold membership in the prestigious Association of American Universities, joining University of Florida, Texas A&M University and Vanderbilt University. Missouri has an enrollment of 33,800 students, which would be the fourth largest institution in the SEC, with Florida, Georgia and Texas A&M having a larger student body. There are more than 260,000 “Mizzou” alumni around the world. The State of Missouri borders three SEC states: Tennessee, Kentucky and Arkansas, and they bring an existing rivalry with former conference foe Texas A&M.
Missouri athletic teams have excelled recently. Its men’s basketball team has made it to the NCAA Tournament three straight seasons and 24 times overall. The Tiger football team has been to post-season bowl games for six straight years and 28 times overall. The softball team has participated in the College World Series each of the last three seasons. The Tigers have won Big 12 Championships in men’s basketball, soccer and softball.
“I am pleased to officially welcome the University of Missouri to the SEC family on behalf of our presidents, chancellors, athletics directors, students and fans,” said SEC Commissioner Mike Slive. “Missouri is an outstanding academic institution with a strong athletic program. We look forward to having the Tigers compete in our league starting in 2012.”
The Tigers sponsor 20 varsity sports. Men’s sports include baseball, basketball, football, golf, swimming and diving, wrestling, indoor and outdoor track and field and cross country. Women’s sports include basketball, golf, gymnastics, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, indoor and outdoor track and field and cross country and volleyball. Missouri participates in every sport sponsored by the SEC except men’s tennis and the SEC sponsors every sport the Tigers participate in except wrestling.

BudSooner
11/6/2011, 11:23 AM
Good riddance!

FirstandGoal
11/6/2011, 11:37 AM
Yay! Slutty whore sister is now gone from the conference.

Hope she gives the SEC some nasty STD...

SoonerMom2
11/6/2011, 11:37 AM
Good riddance!

That was my first reaction as well.

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 11:40 AM
I will look back on crushing Boogers hopes every year with fondness and tell my children of it some day when telling them how we used to be in the same conference.....

Lott's Bandana
11/6/2011, 12:02 PM
Joe Washington is still scoring touchdowns on the not-mowed, wet down grass of Faurot Field...

ouflak
11/6/2011, 12:04 PM
So we've traded Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M and Missouri for TCU and West Virginia.

Boomer.....
11/6/2011, 12:12 PM
Pretty much.

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2011, 12:25 PM
A&M and Mizzou get into the SEC. Sick. We could have been in with a phone call. And, hey, pointy-heads...that gives SEC more AAU schools than the Big 12 now.

Stupid. Damn we got played by Boren and the Pac-12. Big Ten wouldn't even flirt with Boren.

What the hell, dude? We've really f*cked up if we've stayed in the Big 12 thinking big TV money from a Sooner Network is on tap...six years down the road.

Insane. F'ing Mizzou.

3rdgensooner
11/6/2011, 12:53 PM
A&M and Mizzou get into the SEC. Sick. We could have been in with a phone call. And, hey, pointy-heads...that gives SEC more AAU schools than the Big 12 now.

Stupid. Damn we got played by Boren and the Pac-12. Big Ten wouldn't even flirt with Boren.

What the hell, dude? We've really f*cked up if we've stayed in the Big 12 thinking big TV money from a Sooner Network is on tap...six years down the road.

Insane. F'ing Mizzou.Are you gonna be okay?

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 01:10 PM
What they said^^^^

Sabanball
11/6/2011, 02:36 PM

Insane. F'ing Mizzou.

I'll second that. Regardless of conference affliliation, which you guys seem to make light of anyway, I think OU will be ok because you are a self-sustaining program but I DO think Boren and the rest of your leadership vastly over-played their hand in the 2011 Realignment Wars. How a man of his stature and experience could have miscalculated and bungled the wholed PAC 12 thing with apparently no plan B will always have me scratching my head.

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks, Sabanball. And, by the way, most of the people who criticize our point of view thought Boren was leading us out of the conference in September, and were excited about it. In early September, it really looked like he'd grown a pair of balls.

The difference between now and then is that I go ahead and admit Boren got played and is now settling for second best (or worse, as is the case in taking on TCU). He never knew where he stood with the Pac-12, and his Big Ten wet dream was simply that...a dream.

We'd have been a great addition to the SEC. Boren was too shortsighted to make the play for it; and, Castiglione has been rudderless throughout two years of realignment.

A&M and Missouri are lucky. They had the right leadership at the right moment in time to get them into the best football conference in America. We stayed with a sinking ship, choosing to pick up pails named TCU and West Virginia to try to bail out the deluge.

Pitiful. Just a pitiful performance by our leadership, and the Big 12 overall.

Lott's Bandana
11/6/2011, 02:52 PM
Part of his miscalculations come from being 70.

He comes from a time where deals are made behind closed doors and confirmed in press conferences. The very fact that he leaned on Misery's Chancellor heavily in his last presser, only to be openly contradicted almost immediately shows that he may not of adapted to the current landscape of politics:

Get yours and run with it, honor be-damned.

Yes, it appears he got played. However, he is an impressive man and an Oklahoma icon and we will move on from this per usual.

Lott's Bandana
11/6/2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks, Sabanball. And, by the way, most of the people who criticize our point of view thought Boren was leading us out of the conference in September, and were excited about it. In early September, it really looked like he'd grown a pair of balls.

The difference between now and then is that I go ahead and admit Boren got played and is now settling for second best (or worse, as is the case in taking on TCU). He never knew where he stood with the Pac-12, and his Big Ten wet dream was simply that...a dream.

We'd have been a great addition to the SEC. Boren was too shortsighted to make the play for it; and, Castiglione has been rudderless throughout two years of realignment.

A&M and Missouri are lucky. They had the right leadership at the right moment in time to get them into the best football conference in America. We stayed with a sinking ship, choosing to pick up pails named TCU and West Virginia to try to bail out the deluge.

This ^ sounds like a Plano gold-digging debutante.

These things run in cycles. The SEC is simply the current BMOC, after others previously.

Oklahoma doesn't need to run to the best. Oklahoma has been and can continue to be the architect behind creating the best.

Don't forget, Oklahoma football makes a conference elite. aTm and Misery do not.

TulsaSooners
11/6/2011, 03:09 PM

Couldn't agree more. 4 of our 7 AAU schools have run away from this disaster (and the 3rd-6th most desirable members), and we're supposed to be complacent being in a joke conference with a bunch of third-rate schools? I don't get it.

Anyone who thinks that bringing in TCU and West Virginia (who none of the big four conferences would touch) is an accomplishment for OU doesn't think as highly of OU as I do.

champions77
11/6/2011, 03:10 PM

1++++
OU in the SEC would have been such a natural fit for many reasons, geography, $$$, culture and passion. Boren's attitude towards the SEC is difficult to explain. But I really believe that the dollars OU raises with OU/Texas tickets is maybe the biggest reason to stay put. OU raises millions by demanding donations to OU for Texas tickets, and OU was not going to do anything to jeopardize that connection. That and the recruiting exposure we get by playing down there every year.

Game days in Norman would have been unbelievable in the SEC. The ones that wanted to go to the SEC like me have experienced the SEC, the ones that did not want OU to go to the SEC..probably have not. I have been to Bama games in Tuscaloosa 4-5 times in the last decade, and the experience is unbelievable. Take a big game in Norman and times three and you have the big game atmosphere in the SEC.

Maybe we can hope for being numbers 15 or 16 in the SEC.

Lott's Bandana
11/6/2011, 03:12 PM
For every Tuscaloosa there's a Baton Rouge.

Pass.

Sooner5030
11/6/2011, 03:20 PM
If no BIG 12 then the PAC was the only logical marriage. Mutually beneficial for both parties if supers happen.

the SEC gained some markets but ones with **** poor utilization.

BASSooner
11/6/2011, 05:31 PM
haha looks like the power of people did work.

Sco
11/6/2011, 07:19 PM
Couldn't agree more. 4 of our 7 AAU schools have run away from this disaster (and the 3rd-6th most desirable members), and we're supposed to be complacent being in a joke conference with a bunch of third-rate schools? I don't get it.

Anyone who thinks that bringing in TCU and West Virginia (who none of the big four conferences would touch) is an accomplishment for OU doesn't think as highly of OU as I do.

SEC wanted West Virginia, remember?

BamaTaxMan
11/6/2011, 11:27 PM
SEC wanted West Virginia, remember?

I don't think so (or at least that's what I've read). WVa wanted to be in the SEC real bad (and thought that the LSU game was their audition). I think Slive was looking west, not east, the whole time.

SoonerAtKU
11/7/2011, 02:25 AM
I hope Kansas follows Texas' lead and tells Missouri to go screw. You want out? Fine, we'll take your only rivalry in any sport and the only reason you're relevant three times a year and you can invent something with Arkansas or A&M.

Good luck continuing to get your **** pushed in down in the Southeast. Missouri as a state has wanted to be southern since they heard about sweet tea and slavery, so they should be very happy.

ouflak
11/7/2011, 03:13 AM
But I really believe that the dollars OU raises with OU/Texas tickets is maybe the biggest reason to stay put. OU raises millions by demanding donations to OU for Texas tickets, and OU was not going to do anything to jeopardize that connection. That and the recruiting exposure we get by playing down there every year.

But why would this be in danger? OU and Texas weren't even in the same conference for the last... forever... before the Big XII came into existence. After reading the horns boards and reading our own, I truly believe that people would die before letting that rivalry end. And that's forgetting that it's also big money for both schools no matter what the conference affiliation is.

Maybe we can hope for being numbers 15 or 16 in the SEC.

This is what we've got to hope for. For all of the wonderful good that Boren has done for the school, he may have just sealed his legacy with this conference bungling. He wanted to be in a conference with more academic prestige. Now his conference has just lost 4 AAU members (1 since removed) and added one school whose name is rarely used in the same sentence as the words 'academic prestige' in any sort of positive way. Meanwhile the SEC has just gained two AAU members. I hope he keeps that in mind for a long time. If he retires in the next few years (or sooner), and we get somebody in who has a more modern perspective, then we just have to hope that spots 15 and 16 are still open. Or the B1G is realistically more receptive. Unless OSU wins the national title the next 5 years in a row, the PAC is not taking that package deal ever. We're going to have to do what is best for the state and cut those ties and get ourselves in a position for the future.

Tear Down This Wall
11/7/2011, 09:38 AM
Yes, we say people would die before they let the OU-Texas rivalry end. But, in September, Boren and Castiglione had Stoops pumped so full of their crap that he was in front of the media honestly saying we would be fine without it.

Again, there's no way in freezing hell Stoops gets up and says that, and he did so repeatedly, without Boren yanking his chain behind the scenes.

Boren never really knew what was going on. I could care less about his political career. I can't even figure out why anyone even thinks that's relevant. In fact, since he couldn't even gauge the 12 votes of Pac-12 president, I think his supposed political clout is overblown.

The fact is, we got run. Everyone else who wanted to leave got out. And, pretty much got out on their terms and where they wanted to go. Big 12 even took reduced fees from them to leave.

We were hoodwinked into thinking something big was going to happen for us. But, after the Big Ten and Pac-12 rejections, it was obvious we weren't going anywhere because we didn't have the clout in our leadership positions - president and athletic director.

We live on in our crappy conference dominated by us and Texas. It's fine. Hooray...we now have the equivalent of two Baylors with TCU on board. And, lose three schools with national titles, Heisman winners, in short, football history for West Virginia.

Yeah, it's pathetic.

champions77
11/7/2011, 09:58 AM
But why would this be in danger? OU and Texas weren't even in the same conference for the last... forever... before the Big XII came into existence. After reading the horns boards and reading our own, I truly believe that people would die before letting that rivalry end. And that's forgetting that it's also big money for both schools no matter what the conference affiliation is.

This is what we've got to hope for. For all of the wonderful good that Boren has done for the school, he may have just sealed his legacy with this conference bungling. He wanted to be in a conference with more academic prestige. Now his conference has just lost 4 AAU members (1 since removed) and added one school whose name is rarely used in the same sentence as the words 'academic prestige' in any sort of positive way. Meanwhile the SEC has just gained two AAU members. I hope he keeps that in mind for a long time. If he retires in the next few years (or sooner), and we get somebody in who has a more modern perspective, then we just have to hope that spots 15 and 16 are still open. Or the B1G is realistically more receptive. Unless OSU wins the national title the next 5 years in a row, the PAC is not taking that package deal ever. We're going to have to do what is best for the state and cut those ties and get ourselves in a position for the future.

I agree that OU/texas want to keep playing each other, but being in the same Conference guaranteed that.
About Boren, for someone as brilliant as he, he sure managed to say some really surprisingly stupid statements. He tells us that any decision he makes will be in the best interest of the University of Oklahoma, then in the next breath, says that whatever we do, we will do with OSU. Huh? So every opportunity afforded to OU, will also be afforded to osu as to conference membership? He also made a big deal about achieving stability, but then after having been discarded by the PAC 12, headed straight back to the BIG 12 with all of it's "instability". I would be surprised if OU even did any exhaustive research of the SEC. I'm afraid his preconceived notions of the SEC as to lawlessness and academic credibility created a stereotype that would not allow him to seriously consider the SEC. How foolish.

ouflak
11/7/2011, 10:48 AM
I agree that OU/texas want to keep playing each other, but being in the same Conference guaranteed that.

No. Playing one of the fiercest most lucrative rivalries for 80 years, before the Big XII even existed, guaranteed that we would keep playing each other. Conference affiliation had, and has, nothing to do with that. All being in the same conference meant was that we had an extra OOC game to schedule. That's it.

That's one reason why I'm a bit disappointed to see the UT/A&M, and now I guess the MU/KU, rivalries ending so pathetically. How could these fan bases be so misguided as to actually believe those rivalries, if they truly were rivalries worth having, ever had anything to do with conference affiliation? I think it's a conspiracy by the business suits in the offices to pass off blame on anybody but themselves for screwing up these historical competitions for the sake of money. Just have a few posters and bloggers here and there call the other team some name and irrationally blame them for everything, then sit back and let the internet do the rest. Sad really.

champions77
11/7/2011, 11:09 AM
No. Playing one of the fiercest most lucrative rivalries for 80 years, before the Big XII even existed, guaranteed that we would keep playing each other. Conference affiliation had, and has, nothing to do with that. All being in the same conference meant was that we had an extra OOC game to schedule. That's it.

That's one reason why I'm a bit disappointed to see the UT/A&M, and now I guess the MU/KU, rivalries ending so pathetically. How could these fan bases be so misguided as to actually believe those rivalries, if they truly were rivalries worth having, ever had anything to do with conference affiliation? I think it's a conspiracy by the business suits in the offices to pass off blame on anybody but themselves for screwing up these historical competitions for the sake of money. Just have a few posters and bloggers here and there call the other team some name and irrationally blame them for everything, then sit back and let the internet do the rest. Sad really.

Conference affiliation apparently had something to do with playing Nebraska, because now that they are in the B1G 10, they are not scheduled anywhere in the future. When you leave a conference, all bets are off. See texas and A&M. See Mizzou and KU.

ouflak
11/7/2011, 11:20 AM
Will conference affiliation apparently had something to do with playing Nebraska, because now that they are in the B1G 10, they are not scheduled anywhere in the future. When you leave a conference, all bets are off. See texas and A&M. See Mizzou and KU.

I remember being a student on campus and hearing that our annual game with Nebraska would be ending because we are joining this new conference. I had a very uneasy feeling about that. That was one of my absolute favorite rivalries. At the time though I didn't really understand much the re-alignment stuff and all of the forces going on behind it. Who would have thought that that was just a portent of things to come? Joining the Big XII broke up that competition. Us no longer playing them after they left was hollow compared to the great years of great football we gave up to even be in the Big XII. I grew up anticipating the Pitt-Penn State game, not even being a fan of either of those teams. I just couldn't understand how they let that die. Now I understand.

Soonerfan88
11/7/2011, 11:31 AM
I am glad to see them finally gone. Moo started all this crap by publicly asking to go to the Big 10 two years ago, seemingly out of the blue. They were positive they had the invitation in hand until the Nebraska announcement was made - which only made things worse. Since then, Moo was going to get out of the Big 12 any way they could, reason be damned.

Now they are gone, I hope the rest of the conference pulls the basketball tournament from KC. If KU wants to keep it close to home, they need to get arenas built on the Kansas side of town.

delhalew
11/7/2011, 12:27 PM
Derp.

Tear Down This Wall
11/7/2011, 02:46 PM
I remember being a student on campus and hearing that our annual game with Nebraska would be ending because we are joining this new conference. I had a very uneasy feeling about that. That was one of my absolute favorite rivalries. At the time though I didn't really understand much the re-alignment stuff and all of the forces going on behind it. Who would have thought that that was just a portent of things to come? Joining the Big XII broke up that competition. Us no longer playing them after they left was hollow compared to the great years of great football we gave up to even be in the Big XII. I grew up anticipating the Pitt-Penn State game, not even being a fan of either of those teams. I just couldn't understand how they let that die. Now I understand.

To me, after we lost the Nebraska game, it made the Texas game that much less holy. The Nebraska game always meant more growing up because it was for the Big 8 title. Plus, the Nebraska fans weren't plastic dog fart lickers the way most Texas fans are.

Anyway, for the record, the A&M-LSU rivalry being rekindled will be every bit as good as Texas-Texas A&M...which, for people who grew up watching the Big 8 was nothing but a waste of time anyway.

A&M has already cashed in on reconnecting with Arkansas at Jerry World. Annual tilts with Alabama and Auburn will be more interesting that their old games with Baylor and Texas Tech as well.

A&M and Mizzou are losing nothing with their rivalries. They are actually gaining more bankable TV games than they ever had in the Big 12.

BASSooner
11/7/2011, 02:58 PM
Derp.
Derpa derp?

Tear Down This Wall
11/8/2011, 11:21 AM
“Right now we’re in a period of stability that ranks with any year of the history of the conference since it’s been formed,” Boren said. “We’re financially well off. We have solid media contracts. We have a full schedule of teams to play. We have many other schools still knocking on the door if we do want to go back to 12. We’re in a very good situation.”

What a load of crap. Politician through and through. A 180 degree turn around from two months ago.

Gee, we have a full schedule of teams to play? Amazing. Few conferences can pull that one off year in and year out. I mean just look at all the schools who had to play only nine games this year because they don't have a full schedule. Dope.

Many other schools knocking on the door. Yes. Well, look through the peep hole, see that it's like SMU, Houston, and bunch of other crappy schools trying to sell their useless magazines and candles and go sit back down on the couch, please. We've already bought from the TCU and West Virginia kids.

champions77
11/8/2011, 02:37 PM
“Right now we’re in a period of stability that ranks with any year of the history of the conference since it’s been formed,” Boren said. “We’re financially well off. We have solid media contracts. We have a full schedule of teams to play. We have many other schools still knocking on the door if we do want to go back to 12. We’re in a very good situation.”

What a load of crap. Politician through and through. A 180 degree turn around from two months ago.

Gee, we have a full schedule of teams to play? Amazing. Few conferences can pull that one off year in and year out. I mean just look at all the schools who had to play only nine games this year because they don't have a full schedule. Dope.

Many other schools knocking on the door. Yes. Well, look through the peep hole, see that it's like SMU, Houston, and bunch of other crappy schools trying to sell their useless magazines and candles and go sit back down on the couch, please. We've already bought from the TCU and West Virginia kids.

Our esteemed President Boren. Who continues to make a fool of himself every time he speaks on this subject. So Mizzou leaves because of their perception (and many others) of the BIG XII's instability, but then Boren issues a statement on how "stable" the BIG XII is?

I have to wonder if Boren even did his due diligence on any conference but the PAC 12? Was he even a tad curious as to what these two AAU schools were attracted to in the SEC?

As poorly as this was consistently handled, it begs the question as to what other University of Oklahoma issues were equally mishandled/mismanaged through the years?

Would any of the minutes of the the Board of Regents meetings be available under the "Open records" laws?

FaninAma
11/8/2011, 02:50 PM
If OU weren't chained to osu we would be gone. I don't think Boren bungled anything. i think state politicians did and thanks to them we will have to beg any decent conference to find a date for our ugly brothers to the north before we are allowed to step out.

Boren's only error was going public before he coud amputate osu from OU. Once the politicos got wind of what he was doing it was all over.

champions77
11/8/2011, 04:25 PM

Our esteemed President Boren. Who continues to make a fool of himself every time he speaks on this subject. So Mizzou leaves because of their perception (and many others) of the BIG XII's instability, but then Boren issues a statement on how "stable" the BIG XII is?

I have to wonder if Boren even did his due diligence on any conference but the PAC 12? Was he even a tad curious as to what these two AAU schools were attracted to in the SEC?

As poorly as this was consistently handled, it begs the question as to what other University of Oklahoma issues were equally mishandled/mismanaged through the years?

Would any of the minutes of the the Board of Regents meetings be available under the "Open records" laws?

Sooner5030
11/8/2011, 05:36 PM
staying in the BIG 12 is what I preferred but not in the way it occurred. I think there are many high-level decision makers that grew up in a different time and cannot adjust to an instantaneous/non controlled media. Boren might have made the right decisions but his PR abilities and situational awareness is dated in the 80s/90s. He needs to let someone else do the talking from now on. IMO

note to self: never send an email to someone assuming it will never get published to the world via some newspaper in Tulsa. Some of those folks look like idiots......and it's not just the typical fan that looked that way.

GreenSooner
11/8/2011, 06:07 PM
If OU weren't chained to osu we would be gone. I don't think Boren bungled anything. i think state politicians did and thanks to them we will have to beg any decent conference to find a date for our ugly brothers to the north before we are allowed to step out.

Boren's only error was going public before he coud amputate osu from OU. Once the politicos got wind of what he was doing it was all over.

I agree that this is more about having a terrible set of options than about Boren making bad choices...with one exception: OU should have gone to the Pac-12 last year. I thought so at the time. I think so even more today.

TulsaSooners
11/13/2011, 01:30 AM
Look at Texass' home schedule for next year. They got what they wanted in terms of all servant boys and full conference control, but I'm not sure that their fans will be too excited to play all nobodies at home. Tbh I'd be surprised if Texass doesn't eventually go independent, as the academics there can't feel happy with the company that they now keep.

BASSooner
11/14/2011, 12:18 AM

Fact. We'd be in the B1G playing Nebraska every year and OU would've won HUGE. However, that is the reason why that won't happen because it would be an unfair advantage against our ugly little brothers. However, without my crimson glasses on, its their fault and not OUrs. They had/have the ability to improve themselves close to OU standard's academically. (Poke: Howdy Pickens, you got us some mo money we can have? DERP!)

Pac-12 will still be an option though just not right now.

champions77
11/14/2011, 05:09 PM
Fact. We'd be in the B1G playing Nebraska every year and OU would've won HUGE. However, that is the reason why that won't happen because it would be an unfair advantage against our ugly little brothers. However, without my crimson glasses on, its their fault and not OUrs. They had/have the ability to improve themselves close to OU standard's academically. (Poke: Howdy Pickens, you got us some mo money we can have? DERP!)

Probably not the PAC 12, at least as long as David Boren is the President of OU. He was pretty much "hung out to dry" with the PAC 12 deal. The powers to be over there obviously gave Boren strong indications that the PAC 12 would take OU and osu without Texas, but in the end, it had to incldue texas, but a texas without all of the LHN baggage, at least in it's present form. Texas would not budge (imagine that) so back to the BIG XII we go.

The more I see of the PAC 12, the more that I am glad that deal did not materialize. Games ending at 1:00 am Oklahoma time are pretty ridiculous. Three time zones to navigate is the culprit. Again, the SEC offered more for OU in terms of money, prestige, geographical location and stability than any other conference, including the one we are in now, but the SEC did not fit Boren's ideas for what a Conference should be. Add in our propensity to play for a Conference Championship 60% of the time, which was not going to happen in the SEC, and it was too much to overcome. If you recall in May 2010, when it was learned that the SEC had extended an invite to OU, it was reported the Boren's initial reply was " IS osu invited too" I hope and pray that Boren did not turn down the SEC solely because the SEC was not going to invite osu. If so, that means to me, that Boren failed in his promise to make decisions that "are in the best interest of the University of Oklahoma". Failed miserably in his responsiblities. At some schools, that would get you an early retirement.

champions77
11/14/2011, 05:49 PM

Probably not the PAC 12, at least as long as David Boren is the President of OU. He was pretty much "hung out to dry" with the PAC 12 deal. The powers to be over there obviously gave Boren strong indications that the PAC 12 would take OU and osu without Texas, but in the end, it had to incldue texas, but a texas without all of the LHN baggage, at least in it's present form. Texas would not budge (imagine that) so back to the BIG XII we go.

The more I see of the PAC 12, the more that I am glad that deal did not materialize. Games ending at 1:00 am Oklahoma time are pretty ridiculous. Three time zones to navigate is the culprit. Again, the SEC offered more for OU in terms of money, prestige, geographical location and stability than any other conference, including the one we are in now, but the SEC did not fit Boren's ideas for what a Conference should be. Add in our propensity to play for a Conference Championship 60% of the time, which was not going to happen in the SEC, and it was too much to overcome. If you recall in May 2010, when it was learned that the SEC had extended an invite to OU, it was reported the Boren's initial reply was " IS osu invited too" I hope and pray that Boren did not turn down the SEC solely because the SEC was not going to invite osu. If so, that means to me, that Boren failed in his promise to make decisions that "are in the best interest of the University of Oklahoma". Failed miserably in his responsiblities. At some schools, that would get you an early retirement.

BASSooner
11/25/2011, 02:16 AM
Rumors are goin around that ACC will go to 16 teams. There are already 2 teams that would join immediately if invited. (UConn and Rutgers)

BASSooner
12/4/2011, 10:49 PM
BUMP

with all the BCS mess that just came about. What is your opinion about it? Of course that won't automatically trigger realignment (but then again who knows?)

PAC is pissed about their joke of a conference championship game with UCLA (6-6) and Oregon. Not only that, A 12-1 oSU, a conference champion gets passed up by an SEC team that didn't even show up in the championship game. Thoughts? My crimson glasses show the PAC-14/16 as a greener pasture and better press coverage than this conference. Just my two cents. I wonder if this will get the realignment gears to turn slightly...

SicEmBaylor
12/4/2011, 11:28 PM
BUMP

with all the BCS mess that just came about. What is your opinion about it? Of course that won't automatically trigger realignment (but then again who knows?)

PAC is pissed about their joke of a conference championship game with UCLA (6-6) and Oregon. Not only that, A 12-1 oSU, a conference champion gets passed up by an SEC team that didn't even show up in the championship game. Thoughts? My crimson glasses show the PAC-14/16 as a greener pasture and better press coverage than this conference. Just my two cents. I wonder if this will get the realignment gears to turn slightly...

So, I'm confused, by virtually every standard the Pac12 is a ****tier conference than the BigXII. One of the arguments of leaving the BigXII has been to get away from the ****tier schools (like us), so the remedy to that is to go to a conference full of even ****tier schools? Got it.

The Pac12 idea is insanity. Absolutely insanity. The football world needs a strong BCS conference in the central United States. Nebraska should never have taken its ball and gone home.

BASSooner
12/4/2011, 11:33 PM
So, I'm confused, by virtually every standard the Pac12 is a ****tier conference than the BigXII. One of the arguments of leaving the BigXII has been to get away from the ****tier schools (like us), so the remedy to that is to go to a conference full of even ****tier schools? Got it.

The Pac12 idea is insanity. Absolutely insanity. The football world needs a strong BCS conference in the central United States. Nebraska should never have taken its ball and gone home.

From the people's perception, yes. Incredibly sh*tty. Unfortunately, that is the college football world that we live in. The fact that we lost some high tenured universities hurts us in the long-run. This is Big East 2.0. As arrogant as this sound, conference affiliation would've been a driver in the BCS championship

MeMyself&Me
12/5/2011, 12:15 AM
BUMP

I don't think it gets anything turning. The Pac would have to feel like they need something new. However, they have the maximum two teams in the BCS that they can have partly due to their new championship game. The Big 12 only got one team in partly due to their lack of a championship game.

I don't know. I think Nebbish has to feel pretty good right now. They're 9-3 and playing in a January bowl. OU is 9-3 and playing in a December bowl.

From the people's perception, yes. Incredibly sh*tty. Unfortunately, that is the college football world that we live in. The fact that we lost some high tenured universities hurts us in the long-run. This is Big East 2.0. As arrogant as this sound, conference affiliation would've been a driver in the BCS championship

Big East is in a much more desperate position. It's part of why West Virginia is willing to make the jump to the Big 12 despite bad geography and no historical rivals. It's why the Big East is trying to add ANY schools it can. It's why Notre Dame is shopping around for a new home for its non-football sports. Can't agree that the Big 12 is the Big East 2.0.

ouflak
12/7/2011, 04:24 AM
Big East going West (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/12/reports-boise-state-san-diego-state-to-join-big-east/1)

According to reports by ESPN and CBS Sports, Boise State and San Diego State will join the Big East by 2013 as football-only members. Houston, SMU and Central Florida will join the league in all sports.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/7/2011, 10:02 AM
For the record, I still think OU and * head to the Pac once espn pulls the plug on the lhn.

MeMyself&Me
12/7/2011, 04:44 PM
For the record, I still think OU and * head to the Pac once espn pulls the plug on the lhn.

How's OU and Texas going to get out the 'grant of rights'.

BASSooner
12/7/2011, 08:21 PM
How's OU and Texas going to get out the 'grant of rights'.
Heard those havn't been signed yet.

Russ
12/7/2011, 08:54 PM
Heard those havn't been signed yet.

Indoubt they ever get signed. Tu and ou want to head west. Just a matter of time.

BASSooner
12/7/2011, 09:14 PM
Indoubt they ever get signed. Tu and ou want to head west. Just a matter of time.
OU wants west badly
ut wants to keep the precious lhn so badly

MeMyself&Me
12/8/2011, 07:30 AM
Man, if TCU and West Virginia switch to the Big 12 under the pretense that it would be signed and OU and Texas pull the rug on it... seems like a big ugly lawsuit. Seems like about the poorest way of handling things as possible.

BASSooner
12/15/2011, 05:08 PM
Two things:

A tech fan from a mizzou fan board:
"Mondo tells me that Deloss Dodds has been chatting with the Pac 12 about a UT move in 2013. Pac 12 will cover exit fees and work with espn. Details coming soon. I just thought you might want to appreciate even more, if that's possible, your move to the SEC."

Chip, total DB moron, tool of Dodds, etc., will start blabbing of this in Februray or March, provided things have advanced.

and #2:
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/mu-vows-to-leave-big-next-year/article_577920ac-5a18-5b1f-aad5-cc4004f9958b.html

Let the Big 12 and Big Least merge already!!! Get us out of here Boren!!

trwxxa
12/27/2011, 10:24 PM
http://www.statesman.com/sport...12-2058838.html
Texas will make between $19 million and $20 million from Big 12 revenue distribution this year, and ABC-ESPN has informed the league it'd like to move up their negotiations. "They want to talk early," Dodds said.

Texas remained committed to the Big 12 where it retains its $300 million rights to the Longhorn Network – Dodds said ESPN will push for contracts with local cable carriers and satellite companies again in February – and where it can remain in its bully pulpit.

Not sure what to make of this. It could be ESPN trying to lock in the Big XII before NBC gets its act together or it could be the next wave heading for the conference shore. I'm thinking the latter.

Soonerfan88
12/28/2011, 12:20 AM
The majority of contracts for the ESPN family of networks is up in 2012 Q1, which is why they mention the bully pulpit. A lot of folks believe ESPN haven't really pushed the Bevo Network because they will not bundle it in with the rest and force cable companies to carry it or lose all ESPN stations.

And I think ESPN is already wary of the Comcast/NBC conglomerate and will lock in everything they can before the new channel gets rolling.

MeMyself&Me
12/28/2011, 09:37 AM
If ABC is wanting to move up the negotiations, my first thought is it's trying to get that contract done before NBC or Fox has a chance to get in on college football. Lots of room on Saturdays on those channels and I know I'd love to see the Big 12 over there.

Second thought would be that they want to ensure that the Big 12 stays together so that Texas has a way of keeping LHN and re-upping the contract early would add to stability.

ELP Sooner
12/28/2011, 05:00 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1229-pac-12-big-ten-20111229,0,4803434.story

Pac-12 and Big Ten launch new, deeper alliance

reading this makes me sick. OU lost huge in realignment. We are now in the old SWC with Darth Dodds at the controls.

SicEmBaylor
12/28/2011, 05:03 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1229-pac-12-big-ten-20111229,0,4803434.story

reading this makes me sick. OU lost huge in realignment. We are now in the old SWC with Darth Dodds at the controls.
Lost huge? On what? OU isn't hurting for money. OU has not been screwed out of a national championship game because of the conference it belongs to. So, ultimately, what the hell do you really have to be so upset about? What has OU lost out huge on?

ELP Sooner
12/28/2011, 05:27 PM
OU is being left behind. Forget NC's. That is over. Strength of schedule will doom OU. If you want to talk about $$...short term ok...long term not ok. Sorry but OU baylor or OU Tech aint the same to a network as OU UCLA or OU Washington. The other thing is that if OU got into the pac12...it would have been a avenue to get big 10 games...and let's face it...that is what OU wanted. They want the prestige of the big 10...and the money that goes with that. I am not blaming Boren or anyone...maybe nobody wants OU either stand alone or hooked up with OSU. All I know is that the league next year is a step above the Big East and equal to the ACC. Forget pac 12 big 10 or sec...forget it. Allegedly OU got what it wanted...a regional league. Hello SWC 2.0 Meanwhile other other heavyweight conferences are doing deals to play amongst themselves...leaving OU to play garbage. All OU needed to do to see how delusional Texans are is watch the Perry campaign. That guy thought he was presidential material. Nuf said. The guy is a moron and Texas as a state is delusional over it's so called importance. I'd rather be in a league that respects all fellow members vs this shotgun wedding where Darth Dodds presides over all of us while bellowing out to the world....But we are Texas and deserve special treatment. Meanwhile an instition like OU is treated as a second class entity...and we are supposed to be ok with it because....well Texas is special and OU would fall off a cliff if they didnt play Baylor, Tech, TCU every year.

Sooner5030
12/29/2011, 12:37 PM
I like the idea of staying in the B12 and improving it. We need a a strong BCS conference between the Rockies and Mississippi. There are two major issues though that I think are holding back the conference: The stubborn "10 Team make more money now" concept & the LHN.

FOX, FX, FSN or NBC/VS would like to get in the saturday CFB market. This includes a tier 1, 2 and even a conference network. FOX could easily pull this off now but we'd bring in more TV sets if we added a few teams that would extend our region....maybe BYU, UL, Pitt, UCF, USF.

I am beginning to realize that the B12 will never have a conference network because our #1 TV team already has its own. This is the worst part of our conference. OUr TV revenue growth will be limited to the usual year-year growth of just tiers 1 & 2. While other conferences are develolping successful conference networks and other revenue streams.

We also need to go to 12 even if it means splitting rev over 12 instead of 10 for the remainder of our tier 1 contract. We need the championship game.

just my opinion though. It has eveolved throughout this process and even this thread.

swardboy
12/31/2011, 07:16 AM
Reading WVU message board, Big East must be giving them fits about leaving still. Claiming they have to stay two more years before released.

Sooner5030
12/31/2011, 12:10 PM
maybe a lawyer person can help me out but I thought the lawsuit would more likely be successful for damages......not for actually getting an injunction?

Scott D
12/31/2011, 12:35 PM
I think in their case the lawsuit revolves around breach of contract or wrongful enforcement of contractual terms.

TulsaSooners
1/3/2012, 12:36 AM

Pretty much this.

OU is being left behind. Forget NC's. That is over. Strength of schedule will doom OU. If you want to talk about $$...short term ok...long term not ok. Sorry but OU baylor or OU Tech aint the same to a network as OU UCLA or OU Washington. The other thing is that if OU got into the pac12...it would have been a avenue to get big 10 games...and let's face it...that is what OU wanted. They want the prestige of the big 10...and the money that goes with that. I am not blaming Boren or anyone...maybe nobody wants OU either stand alone or hooked up with OSU. All I know is that the league next year is a step above the Big East and equal to the ACC. Forget pac 12 big 10 or sec...forget it. Allegedly OU got what it wanted...a regional league. Hello SWC 2.0 Meanwhile other other heavyweight conferences are doing deals to play amongst themselves...leaving OU to play garbage. All OU needed to do to see how delusional Texans are is watch the Perry campaign. That guy thought he was presidential material. Nuf said. The guy is a moron and Texas as a state is delusional over it's so called importance. I'd rather be in a league that respects all fellow members vs this shotgun wedding where Darth Dodds presides over all of us while bellowing out to the world....But we are Texas and deserve special treatment. Meanwhile an instition like OU is treated as a second class entity...and we are supposed to be ok with it because....well Texas is special and OU would fall off a cliff if they didnt play Baylor, Tech, TCU every year.

And this.

MeMyself&Me
1/3/2012, 01:42 AM
Reading a rumor in a few places that the reason for looking at TV contracts now is to see what the value of the Big 12 would be if it were to expand to 16. Looking for a $35 mil per school payout for Tier 1 and Tier 2 rights (does not include Tier 3).

Man, $35 mil. Who do you think they want to get going after that price?