1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THE OFFICIAL QB RECRUITING THREAD

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by KingDavid, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Desert Sapper

Desert Sapper New Member

I wonder where Brantley stands if we beat saxet in two weeks? It would be great to bring him in and have him competing for the job in another year. I don't think a true frosh is the right answer no matter who it is. I had heard that he doesn't want to start right away, anyway. Anybody know how much truth there is to the rumor that Bob has a close personal tie to the Brantley family?

2. Sooner in Tampa

Sooner in Tampa SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Really? If that is the case, he must really want Brantley...it would sure make for a long weekend to fly to Florida for Friday night game and then fly back and get ready for Saturdays game.

3. snp

snp New Member

Well, we were playing MTSU. The game was decided about a week before it was played.

4. Harry Beanbag

Harry Beanbag SoonerFans.com Elite Member

hornfans is down

5. Herr Scholz

Herr Scholz SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I wouldn't get your hopes up on this one, fellas. He and his father seem to be super impressed with Austin as well as Mack Brown and the UT program. Could he change his mind? Sure but I wouldn't bet on it.

6. snp

snp New Member

He's also coming in behind a RS-Freshman starter and a very well heralded freshman QB.

Both guys at Texxas are probably better than either guys we have here at OU. It'd be much easier to start for the guy.

How concerned is he about PT?

7. Herr Scholz

Oh, I'm sure we'll lose somebody. We have 3 scholly QBs this year and are adding 2 more next year. Although, 2 of those guys (John Chiles and Sherrod Harris) could play elsewhere. I bet we lose Snead to transfer if I had to guess right now. Who knows. It's a long time until Feb.

I think Brantley is our future though.

8. KingDavid

KingDavid Well-Known Member

Golly, Herr. I'm sure you're right. We ought not get our hopes up. We should probably write to Coach Stoops and tell him to avoid making those out-of-state trips when we really have no chance. He is awefully silly that way.

But then again, perhaps we ought to trust his instincts. I mean, a NC after two years. Incredible recruiting every year. An unquestionable, barely blemished record against all the Texas schools. Perhaps we ought to take those things into consideration.

Perhaps you actually are very concerned that such a trip occurred? Perhaps you are distressed that "the future" of the program might be migrating North?

Perhaps you are mouthing your words as you read this post?:D

9. snp

snp New Member

I was already conceeding that Chiles and Harris are moving to another position. Mainly because I never want to see Chiles underneathe center, unless he still can't throw worth a damn.

I really didn't even think of Snead transferring since he enrolled early. You don't think he can surplant Colt by next year? Looks to be a good prospect.

10. southern sooner

southern sooner New Member

Would love to see Snead jump ship and join the sooners...

11. If...If Mack can pull his head out of his rear and make a decision on a starter, I think Snead will end up being the man and Colt will stay put.

You have to admit Herr, that 2-QB system crap that Mack has tried in the past NEVER seems to work out for the best, right? Personally, I think that Mack is a good coach, but like all coaches he has his downfalls. It seems to me, a non-fan glancing in at the UT program, that Mack is just too much of a softy. Too many pats on the back...

But Herr, I DO think that you should at LEAST be a little worried about Brantley. I know you won't believe me, but trust me when I say he is taking a look North of the 40 acres. And yes, I am going off of a substantial person. Now, whether or not he actually follows through with it something that will have to be waited on. Don't make light of the fact that Bob P E R S O N A L L Y knows the Brantley's from before his OU days.

Also, remember, you guys "stole", if you want to call it that, Sims from rocky top...could there be a little karma coming UT's way??? We'll just have to wait and see.

12. KingDavid

Dude. If that's the kind of karma involved, we need to avoid this kid like the plague.

I'd say texas already got what they had coming to them from Chrissy himself . . .:D

13. I know, I know. But you have to think of it in terms of potential down the line. I mean, he is Phil Sims kid...nuff said. If would have been anything close to his dad, everyone in college football would have been in trouble. Just be glad that Chrissy wasn't ever near as smart as his dad. It's like Rocky Top and the Rebs getting the Manning boys...sometimes, every once in a while, you will have these kids with good bloodlines/backgrounds that prospective teams feel can really boost their programs. Chrissy was just a failed experiment, but you know that if OU could have got him, they would have. Brantley is a HELL of an athlete and a damn good QB, probably the best I've seen on film this year. If we can steal him away...it would be H U G E...just ask Herr...

14. Herr Scholz

I would definitely hate to lose Brantley. He's an absolute stud. Does OU have a chance at getting him? Of course. You have a great program and your depth chart vs. ours as well as the relationship with Stoops are advantages. I'm just saying don't bet the farm on it, that's all. He and his father already have a great relationship with Mack and his staff as well. Will I follow his recruiting very closely all year? Definitely.

As far as a 2-QB system, we don't have that. Colt is the man. Mack's made that very clear. Snead's simply getting mop up duty because he's our only scholarship backup right now.

15. Yes, but what happens if, IF, in the RRS OU starts to romp on UT and Colt is throwing int after int? I think Mack would definitely put in Snead, because, let's face it Herr, whoever wind the RRS is more than likely going to be playing for a Big XII champ and about $14 million dollars in a BCS game.

Here's the key for OU: if PT stays helathy, our team and our season stays healthy with it.

Oh, btw Herr, I meant to ask you, are Robison and Young both going to be out for the RRS?

16. Herr Scholz

I think Mack learned his lesson with the Applewhite/Simms drama. The winner of our game will definitely be the Big XII champ. No doubt about it.

He's been impressing me of late.

They'll both play. Robison's injury was simply a bruised patellar tendon and quadricep (no structural damage) and Selvin has sore ribs.

17. KingDavid

It was just a joke on the karma thing. I'd love to get him. I think if we don't get someone of his caliber, that we'll end up bringing in a JUCO - the best we can get. There are some good ones out there who will have a season to distinguish themselves.

We need someone capable of taking the field right away, IMO. Do you think we might offer two QB's - one JUCO (ready-made) and one HS (development, most likely).

I don't want to suffer through another freshman year learning curve if we can avoid it.

18. I think we will sign a JUCO no matter what and personally, from what I know, I think it will be Cade Cooper...not because of Heupel, but because he really is a good talent at the QB position.

The question will be seeing if we can get a high caliber high school guy this year or not, a la Brantley, Burns, Garcia. If we can't get one of those three (and realistically speaking, Burns, I believe, is going to be a Auburn Tiger) then we might not sign a HS QB. A lot has been made of Gerald Jones, but I expect him to go to TT and also, a guy that has fallen off the radar is/was Joe Chaisson who we were apparently really evaluating intensely and then just stopped...I think we have cooled on Joe and some others for some particular reasons that should show themselves around the time of the RRS...;)

19. Herr, I would venture a guess that you periodically make stops at orangebloods? Personally, I go there from time to time just to see if there's any news on some of the recruiting stuff that's going on right now. But let me say this, I think Ketchum is keeping you guys n the dark to some degree. I DO NOT think he is giving the subscribers of orangebloods his real thoughts and/or not telling everything he thinks/feels/knows about some of the situations right now.

Now, maybe he is. I'm not going to pretend that I know him personally or that I have ever talked to the man. But things are really starting to swirl right now.

20. Herr Scholz

You could be right. He does cater to the diehard Longhorn fans. A lot of those recruiting gurus just tell the faithful what they want to hear. It helps their business of selling subscriptions to their newsletters and "insider" info.

Having said that, I think Ketch is pretty reliable and objective. He called the Perriloux situation months before that kid decommited.

Would it surprise me if Brantley went to OU? Not in the least. If you gave me some truth serum, I'd probably say I would go there if I were him due to our respective depth charts. Of course I really want him to come to UT so don't tell him I said that. ;)