1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THE OFFICIAL QB RECRUITING THREAD

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by KingDavid, Sep 8, 2006.

1. snp

snp New Member

Being recruited by KU, UTEP, Utah, and UH as a WR. I think I'll pass.

Big Red Ron likes this.
  2. KingDavid

KingDavid Well-Known Member

not to neg the kid . . . but he did bail on NC State AFTER being slotted third string. i don't think we're looking at all world talent . . . unless he really emerges this year playing JUCO. He's certainly on a strong squad.

I think it's wise of the OU staff to position itself strongly for this kid in the even that he really does start to let his ability catch up to his game-day performance. A 4.3 QB with his height and arm is a diamond . . . but with him, it's a diamond very much in the rough. We don't have the time to polish it. Our offers this year have to go to fellas who can come in, right now, and be ready to play . . . a la Huypel.

3. Well, I think OU is just trying to make an early impression on this kid just in case he is the real deal. I know he bolted from NC State and Mike's story is that they got a new OC (?) and that when the new guy got there, Mike just wasn't HIS guy and Mike felt like he wasn't given a fair shake to try and gain the starting spot (this all per animal interview). Who knows. This kid wasn't a blimp on the radar when he was in high school and his highlight film isn't really that imprssive. But having said that, he COULD have grown up and developed his skills...only time will tell.

For me, if I was on the coaching staff, I would be looking for a guy that could come in at semester and go through Spring drills with the team. That's why i think we should be listening for anythig about this Snow JUCO QB - Cade Cooper. He MIGHT be the answer we're looking for...

4. Oh, and the main reason I posted the interview thing with Mike and BBJ and Hale is because I thought it was really funny. BBJ and Hale didn't know what to do with Mike. It sounded like they hadn't ever done an interview before in their lives. There were a lot of awkward moments in there. I did not post it for reasons of me thinking MG was going to be our QB next year. He just sounds like he wants to come to OU per his interview.

5. soonerthanu

soonerthanu Member

6. Garcia is a good prospect, but the question is going to come down to what our staff wants to do.

They ARE going to get a JUCO QB. The only problem is that Tabon and Malcolm Williams are going to take up 2 schollys against this class and if we somehow get Patterson to come back...AGAIN...

I don;t know if the coaches are going to want to bring in a HS QB that might take another year-year and a half to develop and bring along when they can get an extra OL, WR, DL in a HS QB place instead. Also, you have to think that Garcia and other HS QB's might see us having 2 JUCOs and a red shirt frosh QB and going after another QB in '08 and think, "well, I don;t want to wait around forever..."

It's a tricky situation this year to say the least...

7. Sooner in Tampa

Sooner in Tampa SoonerFans.com Elite Member

OK...her is the deal with Garcia. He is a lean towards South Carolina...they have been recruiting him the longest. He really like Spurrier and some Coach named Reaves. My daughter even laughed at the fact that Stephen was sporting a Carolina shirt at school on Wed. Whatever that means...the deal with Carolina is they have a true frosh named Chris Smelly who threw 59 TD's his senior year in HS. Does Garcia want to go and fight that battle???

I doubt that he is very serious about Florida...they have the all-world frosh Tebow.

That leaves us...and how hard to we go after Garcia. I get the impression that he is leaving his options open, he has not scheduled any official visits yet...per his blog

I do agree that it depends on what OUr staff wants to do...Garcia seems like he is ripe for the picking...IF we want him.

8. Ash

Ash New Member

Great thread guys. Thanks for the updates and info!

9. mrowl

mrowl SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I am guessing that there is still no good news in the QB area?

10. There has been some more talk and chatter about Cade Cooper, but nothing BIG yet....stilll waiting...

11. snp

snp New Member

This is a pretty dull point in recruiting season. No major ways to gauge the kids interest unless he takes an OV or something.

Don't expect much big news for a while.

12. Corey Wilson will be at the MTSU game this weekend on an official. Other than that....

Oh, Corey is thinking about looking and going to K-State for an official visit, why I don't know...I guess he's wanting to get in some officials before he commits. I don't have a problem with it...more power to him...

13. BmrSnr11

BmrSnr11 New Member

14. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If we don't get in a stud QB,is there any chance Box from Enid gets a shot at QB?

15. snp

snp New Member

We already have Halzle and Bradford to play QB. Both are more highly regarded than Box.

16. soonerboy_odanorth

soonerboy_odanorth New Member

Judging by name alone I'd say he's a much better fit for Texas... ;)

Big Red Ron likes this.
  17. OklahomaTuba

OklahomaTuba SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Weed? Oh lord.

I wonder if his mom's name is Mary Jane?

18. KingDavid

KingDavid Well-Known Member

The footage I've seen makes him a defensive stud, without question . . . but a questionable quarterback. He makes great plays with his feet, and can throw it; but makes too many poor decisions with where he throws the ball. I think he's had multiple picks in all of his games so far this year.

19. snp

snp New Member

Stoops was in Florida watching Brantley on Friday.