1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OU interviewed Terry Evans!

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Mar 31, 2011.

1. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And it would also be the cheapest route to go...Plus at least you would get a coach that isn't looking at OU as a stepping stone job to a bigger or more traditional rich program!

2. Partial Qualifier

Partial Qualifier SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Would we be looking at the current UCO coach if he weren't Terry Evans?

And if we are seriously looking at UCO's head coach, what does that say about the whole situation?

We all know the answers to those questions and that sums up why this is a "meh" development to most OU bball fans

Of course Terry could have huge success here, but we've been through that "he's part of the family" deal and thus we're leery

3. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

OK PQ, let's look at the opposite - what if we took UCO out of the equation and looked at everything else: An outstanding former student-athlete and coach at local high schools that has strong ties to the state and area, not to mention OU.

Almost sounds like we're hiring Sherri all over again, doesn't it (and yes, I know that the reaction wasn't very favorable then)

4. OU_Sooners75

PQ...remember when we hired Coale?

5. OU_Sooners75

I am trying to figure out why so many people have a problem with OU going outside the box and hiring someone from the lower divisions or even high school!

Everyone needs to stop acting like OU is a destination job in basketball!

6. OKC-SLC

OKC-SLC SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Women's basketball is slightly different than men's.

7. OU_Sooners75

:confused:

Who said they weren't?

However, the fundamentals are the same.

We are not hiring a womens coach for the mens team...we are hiring a guy that if the best fit for our program.

I am still waiting for someone to tell me why Evans would be such a bad hire!:pop:

8. OUmillenium

OUmillenium New Member

Evans would be an excellent hire.

Excellent coach who has demonstrated the ability to win championships as a head coach at the high school and college level.

Should be an excellent recruiter.

Sending him my resume for assistant today.

9. OU_Sooners75

Probably be best to hand deliver it yourself....seems like a lot of well known coaches here.

10. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

Evans has been on the OU staff before but that doesn't count as D-1 experience? Beginning to think that some of you would be unhappy with anyone but the Butler or VCU coach and those are not happening.

Why not go with someone who wants the job. Sounds like from radio reports that he was going to be on the staff as the coach in waiting so why not make him the coach -- he loves OU, knows OK, and has been a head coach.

As for comparisons to Blake -- apple and an orange because Blake was not a head coach or coordinator but a position coach. That doesn't even take into consideration that being a head football coach is a lot more complicated than being a head basketball coach.

11. OU_Sooners75

He was the Director of Basketball Operations for one season before going to UCO.

That is not a coaching job.

He was however an assistant under Billy Tubbs at TCU after he graduated at OU.

12. sperry

sperry New Member

Because we just fired a guy who was in the elite 8 two seasons ago, and who did a pretty decent job this season with a team full of freshmen and sophomores, that will almost certainly be better next season.

To me, when you make a decision like that, it should be because you plan to go out and get someone really big time.

If you then go out and hire a guy who was the coach at UCO, it makes you wonder, how are we any better off than we were before?

13. yankee

yankee New Member

If we hired Evans, it'd be interesting to see how some of our players would fit in his system. I think some of the guys on our roster would thrive, but I'm not so sure about others...

14. 87sooner

87sooner New Member

you got rid of a coach you are CERTAIN was terrible and hired a coach that could be better.

15. OU_Sooners75

Look man...you can go to the "Fire Capel" thread and read it from the beginning to the end. I was one of very few that defended the man.

However, you cannot reasonably tell me that the outlook with Capel here was looking good in the future.

Just 2 interested recruits...one in 2011 and one in 2012.

I thought, and still do think, they fired Capel a year too early.

Yes he did a good job this year....but at the same time he also had a hand in why our program has fallen so far. I do not blame him entirely though.

We have the NCAA looming over our heads. Capel was on watch. He is ultimately responsible for the basketball program as the head coach.

There were plenty of reasons to fire Capel. 2 back to back losing seasons. The NCAA about to throw the hammer down on OU (most likely). The lack of fan support, and the fact that Capel was having a hard time landing recruits the last 2 seasons.

The future did not look very bright at all.

Does Joe C want a big name? NO HE DOESNT!

He wants the BEST FIT coach....

We fans want a coach that WANTS to be here!

Name one coach that has stated they want to be here? Yep, just one, Terry Evans.

Evans has been very successful where ever he has been. To me, Evans would be a lateral move at worse...but coach that absolutely loves OU and the basketball program!

16. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

Thanks for the update. So he does have D-1 assistant coaching experience just not at OU.

17. OU_Sooners75

Correct.

He was at TCU under Tubbs for a few seasons. Then he went to Midwest City and went 100-11 and won 3 6A state titles. He was there for 3 or 4 years.

In 2001-2002 he was hired by Sampson to be the Director of Operations.
    in 2002, UCO hired him as the Head man and has a 164-76 record there.

Overall head coaching record: 264-87

The man can flat out coach!

18. 87sooner

87sooner New Member

if i wanted the job i would NOT say so publicly.
    evans has alot to learn.
    if he's hired...fine...i hope he is successful and stays a very long time.
    but he should not have to campaign for the job in via the press.
    it really serves no good purpose.
    and don't believe there is no interest just because no one else around the country is announcing in on espn....

19. The Maestro

The Maestro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So no D1 coaches held press conferences to announce their interest in another job? That is a clear sign no one is interested other than Terry Evans!!!

And Evans won 3 high school titles??? By God, he can flat out coach!!!!

And he was an assistant coach at TCU some 8 years or so ago? Perfect!!!

20. OU_Sooners75

You can say that all you want.

He let people know that it is his dream job....It is not something to be ashamed of.

Where did he campaign for anything? He was asked by the Tulsa World, if he would take it...and that is when he said that he loves OU, the program and to him it would be his dream job.

It isn't like Terry Evans has been out every day trying to get the job...he gave one interview to the Tulsa World and expressed his feelings about OU.

To me, if the rumor mill is true, it seems a few coaches have said no interest or that they just used OU as posturing to get a pay raise.

To me, if that is true, that is worse than anything Evans has said!

Hell, if I want to be President...you're damn right I will say it publicly.

Boomer..... likes this.