1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OU interviewed Terry Evans!

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Mar 31, 2011.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

2. jumperstop

jumperstop New Member

This isn't very exciting...UCO? I thought we were trying to go bigger name.

3. 87sooner

87sooner New Member

why did you think that?
    joe said "good fit"...

4. badger

Hell, I'm excited that we're actually hearing ANYthing about the coaching search after waiting so long.

WE LOVE YOU TERRY EVANS! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's already called it his dream job here. Anyone have any awesome Terry Evans stories to tell? Game winning shots? Taking classes with him? Etc?

5. achiro

achiro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I like him better than Weber for the job.

6. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

Count me in -- best thing about Terry Evans is that he is not using OU to get a raise which seems to be what a lot of these coaches are doing to various schools. Look at Painter who was going to Missouri when all he wanted was a raise. Think the same thing happened with Buzz Williams.

Would much rather have Terry Evans who wants to be our coach than someone who is coming for the money. Think he will bring a lot to the table because of his ties here in Oklahoma and with the OU basketball alumni.

7. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

Understatement!

8. OKC-SLC

OKC-SLC SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I hope he works out better than the last former player we hired to coach one of our revenue-generating sports when said program was at a critical juncture.

9. OutlandTrophy

OutlandTrophy New Member

do not like.

hopefully this is just the minority interview they are required to have.

10. badger

Think he'd answer if you called or e-mailed? :D
    Terry Evans
    Head Men's Basketball Coach

Phone: (405) 974-2145
    Email: [email protected]

I plunked this right off his UCO profile page, hehe.

I don't know much about him, but he sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders (three-time all-Big 8 academic team) and has deeper ties than some of us to OU: TWO degrees (bachelor's in business management and master’s in human relations) and father also attended (two-time All-Big Eight guard).

I'm starting to think Terry should have been our target from the beginning. Seriously, does ANYONE here anything negative to say about the guy, at all?

EDIT: And no, comparing this to Boo Blake does NOT count. Seriously, that is so unfair.

11. OKC-SLC

OKC-SLC SoonerFans.com Elite Member

oh, lighten up nancy.

(kidding baj)

12. OutlandTrophy

OutlandTrophy New Member

he's been on the OU basketball staff before.

13. badger

I'm not just bashing you dear. It's everyone that has been so adamantly against hiring an OU guy ever since Boo Blake made it the unpopular thing to do. But when you consider everything Blake reportedly did - the Gary Wichard crap, the destruction of our recruiting files after his firing, the Troy Aikman gay bashing - we shouldn't consider that the norm for OU alums that become coaches. In fact, let's not just dissociate Blake from any potential OU alums that return to coach. Let's dissociate him from OU, period. He does NOT represent the vast majority of OU alums, coaches or not. NOT NOT NOT! OU does NOT put up with cheating, OU does NOT put up with screwing your previous employer on your way out the door and OU does NOT put up with all the other crap either! (like losing, hehe)

14. The Maestro

The Maestro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Personally, no. His desire to be the OU coach, no.

His experience as a coach or major assistant or lowly assistant at the D1 level...yes. He has NONE!

And the comparison's to Blake are based on that as much as him being a former Sooner. Blake had not even been a coordinator at any level and we hired him as a head coach. Terry surely won't be giving God credit for OU wins like Blake liked to do, but his resume is not what a school like OU should be looking for. If Terry were a head coach at somewhere like a Sun Belt or Horizon League school and doing good things there, then we can talk. But being the head coach at UCO and not really doing amazing things there is not good enough for OU.

15. badger

He did have some experience though:

Is it really a bad thing to not have experience? There's tons of coaches out there with experience that suck at coaching... and everyone has to start somewhere, right?

16. achiro

achiro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm not sure I understand what you consider "amazing things"? I'm pretty sure he's done about as well as anyone could hope for in his stint at UCO.
    BTW, I am not on the Evans bandwagon, I just don't think he would be as bad a choice as some are making him out to be and better than most of the names I'm seeing tossed around right now.

17. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

What the **** is wrong with people?

Joe C and Boren both stated that they wanted someone that was a "good fit."

Besides, big name don't mean big turnaround.

Hell, 90% of the big name coaches got their success thanks to the coach before them....not by being a Bill Snider and building a program!

18. soonervegas

soonervegas New Member

It would be like putting a $500 chip on red-30 via the roulette wheel. Odds say you will lose your money, but if you hit.....

19. OU_Sooners75

Well, let me ask Mr. Brainiac here this:

How much head coaching or coordinating experience that said previous alumni coach have before coming to OU? :p

20. OU_Sooners75

So stop being an idjit and tell us what makes you not like it? :p