1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oklahoma womens basketball blog 2010-11

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Nov 1, 2010.

1. CowboyMRW

CowboyMRW Wrestling is OSU

Also, I know our girls haven't been really competitive with OU in the past but with Budke I think we have a chance. He's got some real nice players coming in and we are really young this year. With more experience they should be pretty good.

2. CowboyMRW

OU up 6 at half with 7 3's and 6 2's. Definitely reminds me of the game at GIA.

3. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

When this W gets officially marked down it will be Sherri's 333rd win.The signifigance? That ties her with Billy Tubbs for most wins in OU history.

4. CowboyMRW

I think it's over. Yall came out sizzling from the locker room

5. btk108

btk108 New Member

Willis is on FIRE!

6. btk108

btk108 New Member

Did Tubbs just say there was "some bumping and grinding goin on out there"?

Bow chicka bow wow

7. soonerbub

soonerbub New Member

Sorry Sherri for thinkin the men had a chance to pick up a win--nice *** whippin Seniors congrats

8. soonerbub

soonerbub New Member

Carlee for 3!!!

9. soonerbub

soonerbub New Member

old fashioned that time

conference high scoring for Carlee tonight :)

10. soonerbub

soonerbub New Member

Nice ****ing takedown aggie bitch

11. soonerbub

soonerbub New Member

We were 14/28 from 3 that's niiiice

12. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Thanks all for commenting during the game last night. I wish I was logged in to participate :)

81-66

If it wasn't obvious to all of you last night, team chemistry seems to be at an all-time high (or they're all really good actresses). Coach Coale seemed to be having fun, the team seemed to be having fun and all seemed happy for the seniors. While this year won't be a Big 12 title year (we are likely going to be the 3-seed in the Big 12 tourney), chemistry alone may push this team to the Big 12 tourney title and deep into the NCAA's. We are moving the ball better than ever, our freshmen are contributing and our seniors are leading. It is just... amazing. (although I admit that teams like Pokette can make you look better than usual)

Scoring Sooner: Vegas (23)
    Way to spoil Senior Night, hotshot froshie. Nah, just kidding. Keep up the good work. Honorable mention Carlee ROFL with 14.

Rebounding machine: D-Rob (9)
    Seriously, D-Rob was our leading rebounder. Honorable mention once again to ROFL with 7 (Whitney also had 7).

Whitney's shot: Team (14 of 28)
    Lauren shot 2 of 2. Vegas shot 5 of 10. ROFL shot 3 of 7. Whitney shot 3 of 6. Morgan 1 of 3. Oh man, Pokette had NO chance with this stat in mind.

Questions leading into Big 12 tourney:

Why are our leading rebounders our shorter players? Nicole Griffin recorded a single rebound last night. Lyndsey Cloman, who has seen increased time in the post, recorded 2 last night. Hmmm...

Where's Whitney? Rebounding, playing defense but not scoring as much as we're all used to. I might have to re-name the three-point honor soon?

Is Nicole Griffin really a freshman? Or did she morph overnight into a menace in the post on defense for tall and speedy Sooner foes trying to get easy shots in the paint?

Is Vegas the second coming of D-Rob? No, she'll be better. D-Rob doesn't have a three-point shot.

Where's Morgan? Biding her time till we need last second drives to the basket or three shooting. Le Tre will be back in the rotation sooner than you think.

What about Jaz? I expect Hartman to break outta her shell next year, similar to what Nyeshia Stevenson did between her junior and senior years, where Ny went from an occasional contributor to a solid starter and contributor.

Are we going back to the Final Four? Cautiously optimistic, depends on who we draw in our bracket. We were lucky to watch Nebbish fall early last year. We might catch a break this time around as well.

And now, as always, Sherri Coale:

Player of the Game: Carlee "ROFL" Roethlisberger
    [​IMG]
    This honor SHOULD have been her's if we had won the Baylor game. She plays so hard and has contributed so much to this team this year, even if the stat lines usually favor other players overall. The double-double last game and 14/7 points and rebounds last night means I can't put it off anymore - ROFL = Player of the Game. Congrats to all of our seniors!

Boomer!!!!!

PS: A very good tribute video (they do incredible jobs of these every year). Someone over on OUHoops.com posted a youtube video.
    [youtube]q8vSv6RFzDM[/youtube]
    Here is a link to the tribute coments by Sherri after the game.

13. badger

2 p.m. tipoff... looks like another game to watch on the EZBUY channel up here in Tulsa. Yay!

It's cooler up here than it should be so a nice little indoor gardening day while watching the women win and the men...um... well, they could pull it off. FOR CADE! :D

PS: Alas, the sig gif I created is too large for display on this site, so one image at a time, I guess, for the next week or so. But... here's about what it should have looked like if it were 80 percent smaller of a file:
    [​IMG]

BOOMER!

14. badger

The senior sig line was apparently unlucky, so I have taken the liberty of changing it before we go down in the tourney cuz of it.

56-61

I mean, that sig line can be the only explanation for why only freshmen could score in double figures against... Tech. TECH! Argh. Bounce back in the tourney, girls. No more reality check losses are allowed.

Scoring Sooner
    : Vegas (16)
    Vegas had 14 in the first half, so a very honorable mention to the only other Sooner in double figures, the rising star that's come so far, Nicole Griffin (14).

Sharing Sooner and Rebounding machine
    : Whitney (12 rebounds, 7 assists)
    When Whitney doesn't score, she lights up the stat board in other ways. She was also perfect from the free throw line.

Now that the only highlights of the loss are outta the way...

Turnovers suck:
    Team (19)
    Let's not blame anyone. When an errant pass lands out of bounds or in the other team's hands, it's because people are in the wrong place or didn't make enough of an effort to get to the ball... sometimes.

Free throws suck
    : Team (61 percent)
    I know Texas Tech has an intimidating and impolite crowd and all, but it's hard to miss that many uncontested shots :(

Three pointers suck
    : Team (28 percent)
    Are we going to be a team that lives and dies by the three pointer? When you only make 5 of 18, can't you find other ways to score? :mad:

Usually this is where I turn the entry over to Sherri Coale... but let's let Nicole talk, shall we?

It will take the entire team to go anywhere in the Big 12 tourney, let alone the NCAA tourney... so new sig line.

Boomer!

15. badger

Big 12 kudos to D-Rob, a unanimous selection to the All-Big 12 team. She was also first-team last year.

Link to Big 12 site

D-Rob was also selected to the all-defensive team, likely because of all the ball thievery :)

PS: Seriously. Announcers have GOT to stop calling Vegas "Ellen-burger." :mad:
    Aaryn "Don't call me Ellen-burger" Ellenberg was unanimously selected to the All-Froshie Big 12 team. She was also an honorable mention for All-Big 12.

16. badger

So it's been awhile since I've Tandy'd things up on a television connected to a box of keyboard, but I imagine that's about what it'd look like. We, the Sooners, and never the Lady Sooners, face the first of our silly-named Big 12 foes this week, the Lady Raiders. We may later faceoff against the Lady Cyclones, or the Lady Aggies or the Lady Bears, but we, the Sooners, will always just be the Sooners, regardless of the sport, regardless of the gender.

Now beat the ladies of the Big 12, Sooner! :D

17. badger

It is moments like this photo right here that I love this team even more:
    [​IMG]

But dang it girls, did you have to cut that game so close?! :mad:

71-69

When we were down two at the half, NP decided that he couldn't take anymore... we finally broke out Pokemon White/Black. Will have to remember this come tourney-time: If an opponent that is undersized and undertalented intimidates you and outperforms you in a single-elimination tournament... pocket monster time!

I can't believe I just admitted to that. Regardless, I watched the entire game and saw some stuff that just really... worries me going further into the postseason. Most notably, Whitney Hand. Missed shots, turnovers, I really hope she was just having a bad game and takes out any lingering frustration on the Lady Aggies.

And... Nicole Griffin in a stringbean with no strength. She just couldn't grab the rebounds and passes like Joanna did. But... Nicole's 6'6" and Joanna's 6'3". Anyway we could get Joanna taller or Nicole stronger?

Finally... foul trouble. By the end of the second half, D-Rob and ROFL are over on the bench while Tech is making it more of a game than it should be. It will probably be just as bad against the likes of A&M. I fear the worst, but hope for the best. the OU/A&M womens games are usually the worst-reffed games of the year. :mad:

Scoring Sooner: D-Rob (19)
    A very honorable mention to Carlee "ROFL" Roethlisberger, who added... 18! Holy cow, is she coming alive during her final games, or what?!

Rebounding machine: Nicole (11)
    Again, I feel like she could have doubled this number just by wearing football receiver gloves because they were constantly stealing the ball away in the post. Still... we finally have a good rebounding presence in the post and that's a relief. Whitney Hand added a respectable 8.

Sharing Sooner: Whitney (7)
    If she's not scoring herself, at least she's getting others to score.

Ball thief: Vegas (3)
    One near the end of the game nearly caused a heart-attack - with only a few seconds to go, Vegas steals the ball, has an uncontested layup to put us up by 4.... and MISSES?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?! :eek:

And now...

This is no longer Whitney's shot... or anyone else's: Team (5 of 19)
    Vegas (1 of 7), D-Rob (0 of 1), Whitney (0 of 3). Hook and ROFL both made two each, at least.

Overall shooting: Team (38 percent)
    let's just say that it was very, very poor night for shooting :(

[​IMG]
    Player of the Game: Nicole Griffin
    For her double-double (10 points, 11 rebounds). And because she has been improving really fast even as competition gets a lot tougher. Can you imagine her going up against some of our pre-conference opponents?!

Sherri, what propels someone who loves your sport to want to play Pokemon?

Please, please let this not happen again against A&M... Whitney have anything to say?

So really, I should feel terrible for pointing out that Whitney isn't scoring as much as she used to, shouldn't I Sherri?

Really, the entire postgame transcript is a good read. Check it out here.

Boomer! Defeat the ladies of the Big 12!

18. MsProudSooner

MsProudSooner New Member

Badger, that takes me back to when my kids were in elementary school! We had a Tandy Color Computer and I modified a program we found in a book to help my daughter study for her spelling tests!

19. Soonerfan88

Soonerfan88 Well-Known Member

I know it's not heavily read since they don't promote it, but has anyone else seen the Yahoo Women's BBall page? What is wrong on this page?

[​IMG]

20. Sooner74

Sooner74 New Member

Tech reached the Semis?