1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oklahoma womens basketball blog 2010-11

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Soonerfan88

Soonerfan88 Well-Known Member

I get the feeling it was a "Dewey Wins" kind of thing - someone fully expected Tech to win and had the page layout already done. It is the same article as the "Tech 69, Oklahoma 71" listed in the Headlines, which leads me to the same conclusion. When have you ever seen a national (i.e. non-home) score list the loser first?

2. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I think it's funny they had Tech on there three times... sounds like they have feeds from several different wires or just have several people doing the same job.

3. Soonerfan88

Soonerfan88 Well-Known Member

I emailed them about it and it has been corrected now. :)

4. badger

Someday I'm gonna start a television network just to broadcast the Oklahoma-Texas A&M womens basketball games, and I'm gonna call it SFRN, the s----- f------ reffing network.

At SFRN, the only reffing you will see is s--- tier. It will be ----ing ----ty. And it will be a network. And we won't broadcast St. John's/Rutgers games, because that reffing would not be down to our ----ty ----ing reffing standards.

Curse word curse word curse word:mad:

5. Sooner74

Sooner74 New Member

It was pretty bad.

6. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I didn't get to see it. Was the officiating awful as always?

7. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

If Sherri's ever been closer to getting T'd up (she got a warning from Kantner), I don't remember it. Should tell you something. There was another camera shot of her later in the game & she was still shooting daggers at one of the other refs. Me & the wife looked at each other & said boy, is she P****D OFF. I would say that I'd love to be a fly on her office wall tomorrow since she won't say anything in public, but I'm afraid that the paint would melt off the walls under my feet. :eek:

8. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Hmm... The foul numbers were about the same and we shot more free throws. Were they just bad calls?

9. Salt City Sooner

The only 2 OU fouls that I remember I really had a problem with were a charge on Vegas in which Adams clearly got under her after she'd left the ground on a layup attempt, & a moving screen that on Griffin that would've been a good call, had she actually screened anyone (no offense to NG, but it was a very feeble attempt) The discrepancy was on the other end. A&M got called for about half of the fouls that they committed (i.e. Adams bulling Griffin over repeatedly w/ NG doing her best to hold her ground & still being sent flying, or Vegas getting to a loose ball first, then an A&M player sending her flying into Kantner, & all 3 go flying into the crowd w/ no foul called).

10. MsProudSooner2

MsProudSooner2 New Member

I was surprised they gave the ball to us on that play. If you're going to ignore the foul, why not ignore who touched the ball last?

11. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

aTm was killing us on the boards.I can't wondering why OU did not counter by having some combination of Cloman- Griffin or Griffin-McFarland or Cloman-McFarland in the game together. The only thing I can think is that a twin tower set would not be good against the press.Not bad when an offseason means a third place conference finish and a berth in the NCAA.Am I the only one who recalls just making THE DANCE as a big deal.

From OH BOY WE MADE THE DANCE to 306 wins and THREE Final Fours in the last 12 years is quite a change. I wonder If Joe C. will offer Sherri a lifetime contract? If not he should.

12. tash0310

tash0310 New Member

Well we did have Griffin and McFarland in there together for awhile but in all honesty McFarland wasn't having to great of a game.....and Cloman is out right now with a back injury....

13. Salt City Sooner

14. badger

I made it through the first 15 seconds of that video before I was all like "Kim is bat---- crazy" and turned it off. Sherri has had her moments of uncontrolled emotion, but those moments are not going "WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" at the press or demanding to know who didn't vote for one of her players on a team that doesn't even matter outside the conference. Sherri's emotional moments are giving hugs to players (and after winning her Final Four game over Duke, she gave a commentator a hug during the halftime of the next game) or getting misty eyed when talking about her players. That's it.

As for Gary Blair, Sherri seems to have no problem with him (and no problem with Kim either, for that matter), it's just that his style of coaching results in overly aggressive teams, which means I never look forward to A&M matchups in womens basketball... I worry who's gonna go down with an injury or how many foul calls I'm gonna endure through a futile effort by the refs to keep the game in check. :mad:

If there's any Baylor opponents lurking, circulate Soonerpsycho's gif. It'll be accurate for years to come, it seems :D
    [​IMG]
    (please give him credit though, or I might ask him to do your coach next!)

PS: The NCAA tourney selection is on Monday for the women, so tune into ESPN tomorrow at 7ish for the women's bracket. Like last year, I will try to accurately predict how far all of the Big 12ers go.

15. badger

We are a six-seed, which I think is the lowest we've been since my senior year at OU, 2005 (when we were gifted an 8-seed, hehe). We will not be hosting the first few rounds for once... will be interesting to see how that works out.

Our second round foe will likely be Miami (yes, the lady version of the hated Hurricanes) which is our area's 3-seed.

I will be back later to give my fearless predictions on the Big 12 teams... I actually got three right last year :D

16. Sooner95

Sooner95 Well-Known Member

6 seed is about what I was figureing we'd get. Our record looks average, but our schedule was daunting this year. I think this will pay off during the tourney.

Matchup against Miami should be a good one. And barring we get further, I'd rather take my chances with the likes of ND and Tenn than Uconn.

17. badger

I am going to miss this group of girls:
    [​IMG]

But, before I miss them, they have to be gone first, and while the road will be tough (likely Miami, Notre Dame and Tennessee en route, with James Madison's Federalist Papers up first away from home in the first round), they're Sooners, so I have confidence in them :)

So, let's break down the Big 12 bids, shall we?

Texas (8-seed, Dayton region)
    It amazes me that this program can be so underwhelming every year... and are in the tourney every year... and this time, they're away from home. They are one of the few I predicted correctly last year and I have confidence in ONCE AGAIN picking them to do the EXACT. SAME. THING.

Prediction: Out in First Round, for like the billionth year in a row Hook em

Kansas State (8-seed, Philly region)
    Congrats on making it back into the tournament. The bad news is that even if you make it past Purdue, your reward will be UConn in round two. Sorry.

Prediction: Second round ouster

Texas Tech (8-seed, Spokane region)

Like KSU, you are doomed in round two (likely Satanford) if you are not doomed in round one (St. John's). What the heck, here's the benefit of the doubt for you too.

Prediction: Second round ouster

Iowa State (7-seed, Philly region)
    I loved meeting the Marist fans back in Tempe in 04, and they have a solid program going there. ISU meets them in round one... and while upsets in the women's bracket are rare... what the hell.

Prediction: First round ouster by Marist

Oklahoma (6-seed, Dayton region)

I think 6-seed is the lowest we've been since our 8-seed (first round ouster) in 2005. But dang it, we can compete with anybody! We have trouble finishing opponents off, but we have the ability!

Prediction: Sweet 16 loss to stupid Notre Dame

Texas A&M (2-seed in Dallas region)

I giggled when I saw their draw. Sure, it's Dallas and perhaps they'd have a few fans in town if they made it to the last few regional rounds, gotta take out FSU and Rutgers en route, but the Elite Eight matchup is what makes me laugh.

Prediction: Final Four, ousted by Satanford

Baylor (1-seed in Dallas region)

Yes, the Lady Bears and Lady Aggies are in the same region. As such, Skeletor will scream, Behemoth will foul out early and the Lady Aggies will punch their way to victory, leaving Baylor fans speechless and sending A&M to its first Final Four. ESPN will cry, as their hyped female dunker will not be giving them any ratings boost.

Prediction: Elite Eight, ousted by Texas A&M

My predictions are likely going to be wrong, so I'll make one more: UConn does not win the title. They having injury and depth issues that will kill them if they get into foul trouble and Coach Geno is already whining about it. Geez man, stop whining! You've won like a billion titles in a row! :mad:

BOOOOOOOMERRRRRRRR!

18. ouleaf

ouleaf New Member

well, i hope the women represent OU well and win the whole thing......Can't say I'll watch any of the games though, because....well....I just can't watch that brand of "basketball." I wish them well though.

19. Sooner95

Sooner95 Well-Known Member

big12 a stellar 0-3 today. Nice.

20. Salt City Sooner

I'm no 'horn fan, but they took one in the shorts today. They didn't shoot a single free throw in the entire game. Marquette was called for a grand total of 6 fouls.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011