1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Official 2008-2009 NHL Playoff Thread ***

Discussion in 'General Sports Forum' started by SteelCitySooner, Apr 15, 2009.

1. SoonerStormchaser

SoonerStormchaser Emma's Daddy!

Well...Dave Tippet got fired today as the coach of the Dallas Stars...so let the speculation begin! I think this was the wrong move...and that Tippet'll end up in NJ or Calgary.

2. GrapevineSooner

GrapevineSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Not too sure about this move by Niewy.

That having been said, I hope Stars fans don't get too nostalgic about that run to the WCF 13 months ago. They made that move when nobody expected them to and only won three playoff series in the Dave Tippett era, losing in the first round in 2004, 2006, and 2007.

I guarantee he would have been gone if they had made it four years in a row without getting at least to the 2nd round.

As for the Finals right now...

Detroit really needs a goal here before the second intermission. Only 12 shots on goal 35 minutes in, amazingly.

3. SoonerStormchaser

Detroit needs a new set of referees as well...these guys have been in the Penguins' pocket since game 1.

4. GrapevineSooner

GrapevineSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

:rolleyes:

Detroit lost this game because their offense, and more specifically, their power play went ice cold in Games 6 and 7.

Officiating had not a damn thing to do with it.

5. SoonerStormchaser

81.1 Icing – For the purpose of this rule, the center red line will divide the ice into halves. Should any player or goalkeeper of a team, equal or superior in numerical strength (power-play) to the opposing team, shoot, bat or deflect the puck from his own half of the ice beyond the goal line of the opposing team, play shall be stopped.

Go back and look at Pitt's first "goal"...shot from behind the red line into the back end of Detroit zone...Detroit player touches it...whistle isn't blown!

6. tulsaoilerfan

tulsaoilerfan Ready for Baseball Season

Yes, the officials missed that one, but it's not like the puck was shot into an empty net; if you're going to complain about the officiating how about all those interference calls on Detroit that went uncalled? Im not a fan of either team, but to blame the refs for this is ridiculous

7. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I won't blame officiating, the Pens just played better down the stretch. The Wings looked like the slower team for long stretches in both games 6 and 7 and only kicked into gear the last 10 minutes of each game. That's not going to win very many games, and definitely not games when you're down 2-0 at the time.

Congrats to 19 Penguins and their coaching staff, and Mr. Hide from the Media in my boss's basement after a loss can still suck a fat one.

8. SteelCitySooner

SteelCitySooner Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me? Were you sleeping during the incredible amount of non-called obstructions the Red Wings were getting away with? Game one and two looked like it was murder.

Not to mention, how can you possibly say that when the Wings got more powerplays than the Pens in the last two games?

Find another excuse...or congratulate the better team! ;)

wooooot!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. SteelCitySooner

Obviously I am biased, but this has to be one of the best Stanley Cup Final's in a long time. No one gave those kids from Pittsburgh a chance. It still hasn't quite sunk in yet!!

10. SteelCitySooner