1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIRE CAPEL ! ! !

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by StoopTroup, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

nobody is saying how great this team was. people who realistically knew that this team was going to be bad weren't surprised by the record. pointing out that despite an obvious lack of talent this team fought in every game despite the fact they came up on the short end a lot. John Wooden would have been hard pressed to win more games with the talent on the roster.

one and done has killed the college game, point blank. there is no more building dynasties or having absolute consistency anymore. anyone waiting on this team to bring in the next Blake Griffin is fooling themselves, there is no next Blake Griffin. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Capel should have been recruiting the type of player that made his system at VMI run smoothly..instead he got caught up in chasing the ratings to "keep up" with Texas and Kansas.

as for the overpaid comments....give me a break, he's about middle of the pack in the conference for pay, and roughly the same on a national scale. Really, is anyone more overpaid in this sport than John Calipari?

2. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

believe me I KNOW our talent is not good...Baylor isn't a slouch...not ut but no slouch. Just very frustrating to see sloppy play by the players the next day after great play....I was a HS coach...I get the player comparison...more than you know...and yes Capel is responsible for the disparity in talent.

3. oumartin

oumartin New Member

everybody on here's been a coach.. surely we can find a competent replacement

4. Scott D

I'm waiting on 87sooner to become the new head coach.

5. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

yes I have...obviously not at that level...only where I don't get to go pick the guys out of thousands I want...I get what I get..

Just sayin it's not rocket science...in my HUMBLE opinion at college it's all about recruiting....

here in KC they can't get their nose out of Self's b-hole...some radio guys actually said he could make UMKC (local mid D1 college like ORU) a powerhouse....WTH? KU get's top guys because it's KU...just like OU in football...the name Oklahoma opens a lot of doors...just KU in bball.

Did the team THIS yr do better with less talent than last yr..definitely...I'm sure Capel has at least next yr and maybe another if he improves next yr...

it will be interesting...to say the least...

6. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The last 25 years don't mean squat right now. We have had to deal with a probation brought upon us by the previous coach. We had to endure selfish attitudes by some of our players. We have had to deal with an assistant coach that showed he had lack of NCAA rules, just a blatant disregard for them.

Now, with that said, yes, it does ultimately fall on Capel. He is the HMFIC. However, I do not think all these problems we have had are due because of him. I do think he has shown us his youth...he is only a year older than I am. However, I think he needs to fix the problem and I think he has...Now we just need to show a little patience while the solution is being worked out.

StoopTroup likes this.
  7. bigfatjerk

bigfatjerk New Member

He was at VCU but he is recruiting the type of players he had at VCU. But his record at VCU really isn't that impressive. He was about middle of CAA most years and then one year they won the conference. The year before he took the OU job his team finished 5th in conference. He averaged around 70 points a game with his offenses there. He's only had 3 20 win seasons as a head coach in his career. 2 at OU.

8. Scott D

Ok you got me, clearly we should fire him and get Anthony Grant in here asap.

9. bigfatjerk

bigfatjerk New Member

Look I understand those that want to give Capel another chance. He's a good guy. I'm sure he's a good coach. But the fact is that OU's standards are higher than what Capel has produced. Next year will be a tough one for Capel if he's coming back because basically we have to be an NCAA type team or he's probably gone.

10. Blue

Blue SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I wanted Pelfrey, so I can't say much. Seems he's sucking at Arky too.

11. Scott D

I'm sold really.....someone throw 10 mil a year at Tom Izzo

12. pappy

pappy Well-Known Member

If Capel is fired...I doubt we land a big name coach as the next guy to turn the program around and that's fine...We need some new blood running this team's show, big name or not...Coach K, Tom Izzo, Roy Williams, Jim Calhoun, John Caliparri and so on weren't big name coaches until they earned it. Maybe we'll find the next great nobody who becomes a somebody...but Capel isn't him.

Blue likes this.
  13. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Do you realize that Coach K was 38-47 after 3 years...im not saying Coach Capel is Coach K but if that is your rationale then Capel has def done enough to keep his job.

The guy went to a Elite 8 and put a scare in the eventual natl champ. Sure, the situation we got in this year and last was due to his not being able to judge character but I think this year has def proven he can coach

14. bigfatjerk

bigfatjerk New Member

Coach K is a different coach and was at a different school. This is after 5 years. And try to compare Coach K after 5 years. In Coach K's 4th and 5th years he made tournament runs showed improvement. If he like Coach Capel stunk his 4th and 5th years he would have been fired. Hell he probably would have resigned.

15. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If it weren't for this post I would go on believing that we decided who the good coaches were at birth.

Collier11 likes this.
  16. Collier11

In general I would agree but you have to look at the situation...capel came into a bad situation with a stripped down roster that was 0% his fault and had the team in the tourney in year 2 and in the Elite 8 in year 3.

In year four he had 3 McDs AAs who everyone in the country wanted and then it all collapsed. Is Capel at fault for not being a better judge of character, absolutely, did he go out and get great talent, absolutely. He just got burned.

My personal opinion, we need to be a bubble team at worst and be highly competitive or he is out after next year, if we win 20 games he stays...just my opinion

17. Blue

Blue SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Interesting quotes from Jalen Rose about Coach K today and that he only recruits "Uncle Toms." Lol. Seems to work.

18. Collier11

I wonder how the black guys who play for Coach K feel about that...I cant stand that BS, just STFU with your dumb azz Jalen

Blue likes this.
  19. bigfatjerk

bigfatjerk New Member

That roster looks a lot better now. Longar Longar, Austin Johnson, Tony Crocker, Keith Clark, Taylor Griffin, Nate Carter, David Godbold, and Mike Neal. I would take that type of talent right now. We don't even have half of that overall. Cade would still be the best overall player of those 2 teams most likely but nobody else on this roster really compares to that.

It's a myth that we had not talent coming in. Capel was also able to get a really solid point guard in Bobby Maze but didn't keep him after a year. Capel's biggest problem isn't what was left for him. It's that he hasn't kept his talent for many reasons. If you list the top 10 players in the Jeff Capel era, around 6 or 7 of those guys would be Kelvin Sampson left overs.

Capel's problem is the long list of guys he's recruited that haven't worked out for one reason or another. And he also ended up with players that didn't really fit his system too. TMG didn't fit the system at all. Gallon probably could have with work. Not just this year, but last year with TMG specifically. The last couple of years we've looked like a team without a real system.

20. OUthunder

OUthunder Angry Bird

Racism oozing out with those comments.