1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIRE CAPEL ! ! !

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by StoopTroup, Nov 24, 2010.

1. TopDawg

TopDawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

For me, I'm not accepting mediocrity as much as I'm understanding mediocrity. Capel is the reason we are in this horrible two-season stretch because he made some terrible recruiting decisions. But Capel is also the reason we made it to the Elite Eight just a few years after our previous coach left us in a very bad spot.

(If you're going to say that Blake was the reason we made it to the Elite Eight then at least be consistent and acknowledge that TMG, Tiny and Willie Warren are the reason that we are in the his horrible two-season stretch.)

I feel like Capel will get things turned around, but I think it's unreasonable to have even expected that it would've happened this season. If it doesn't happen next season, then I say we move in a different direction. I dunno...to me it seems like he had one terrible recruiting class and it's had a two-year impact on us. To me, that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to fire him. The way things transpired, it would've been nearly impossible to recover this year...but if we don't start seeing signs of life next year, then it's time to move on.

2. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Here is where you haters completely miss it. You whiff.

Supporting Castiglione's decision to keep Capel (and I believe he will) is in no way, shape, or form "accepting mediocrity" or what some really dumbass haters say "being happy with a ****ty team." I call it supporting the program through thick and thin. When/if Capel gets it turned around, I can continue to support the program with a clear conscience. Everyone who called for his head cannot. I feel the same way about our POS football fans who rag on Stoops/Venables/Wilson/whoever coach all the time. They don't have a ****ing clue about what is going on within the program. They just want someone/something to point a finger at and blame because they didn't have fun watching their team last night. Even if we win they don't have fun. They find fault, or the pull the old "well in spite of Venables, the defense locked them down..." Meh. I hate haters.

3. AlboSooner

AlboSooner New Member

Many people in the know, like Al Eschback, Deano and so on, say Griffin wasn't going to go to OU if it weren't for Capel.

I'm sure Blake would have started over Hansborough, in that NC-team North Carolina had.

4. The Maestro

The Maestro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Easy with the sweeping generalization for all those that don't support everything 100 percent of the time.

Sometimes change is good. If Capel gets one more shot at it, fine with me. But the problem is his to fix or move out of the way so someone else can.

5. bigfatjerk

bigfatjerk New Member

It's not just about wins and losses. Although that's obviously a big deal. The fan support is going way down. It was way down this year and if we have another year with Capel even an NIT type year we won't have the fan support to keep his big contract. I feel we have to be a contender in the Big 12 next year for the top. Beat a Kansas and Texas at home or he's out because if we don't have the fan support there's not a good reason to keep his big contract.

6. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

ORU just got invited to some CIT postseason tourney... think if they'd take ORU that they'd also take us?

7. bigfatjerk

bigfatjerk New Member

ORU has 19 wins.

8. Ton Loc

Ton Loc Well-Known Member

You should have went this statement the first time. It is more rational and has the same general message without sounding like a giant turd.

9. Saul Good

Saul Good New Member

Bite me!

I was just pointing out that the current position of the program has people offering legitimate expectations/hopes for next season where we end up in a tournament that would have been disappointments dating back to the early 80's.

Im seeing a lot of over reactions as well as A LOT of rationalization on this thread. I was just trying to point out how far we have fallen/have to climb. Tough sh** if you don't like it (see the truth). I may just stick around longer now thanks to you and maaaaybe do it just to **** you off.

10. soonervegas

soonervegas New Member

Circa soonerfans 3/11/2012

"We need to give Capel one-two more years to see where this goes. We won 7 games in conference and we just got invited to the CBI tourney. We can't really expect a lot of wins in 2013 because we lose Blair, Franklin, Honore, Thompson, and Washington. But if he isn't a solid bubble team by 2014 then we need to look at things long and hard."

Guaranteed.

11. Ton Loc

like anyone gives a rats *** what or why you are doing what you do. Put you on ignore or better yet - You don't get to come around anymore and that's that.

Yeesh - what's goin on around here.

12. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Wanna bet? I'll bet there'll be more people going "fire crapel, he's a horrible coach" even if we make the NCAAs. We have a fairly large contingent here who would still bitch even if we won a BB NC. They'd find problems/fault/shortcomings. In general, the hater OU fans (and there's TONS of them) blow chunks.

13. bigfatjerk

bigfatjerk New Member

I know. We are barely 5 games within a winning record this year. Yet we have people here saying how great a team this was this year because it was expected to be worse. Not really. We were about where people thought this year. I expected us to be better than we were this year because I think the bottom of the conference is real weak right now. Nebraska, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State. We shouldn't lose to any of those type teams. I also thought Colorado coming into the season was going to be weak, but they are better than anyone thought coming in.

The bottom of the Big 12 next year will be us Iowa State, and Texas Tech. Everyone else will be getting a NCAA Tournament bid more than likely. And Iowa State has a lot of good players coming in via transfer. They may be fighting for a bid. We'll be picked 9th in the conference ahead of only Tech.

14. The Maestro

The Maestro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If facing reality makes me a giant turd, I'll dance with it.

If it keeps me from typing "You should have went...", even better.

15. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Ah, "facing reality." That's it in a nutshell folks. We all have our own "reality." Unfortunately, many of yous' reality is wrong...

16. Ton Loc

That's all good but one person pointed at you and everything changed. You read into what someone else wrote, thought it applied to you (self guilt), backed away from your original words and restated yourself in a more rational way that wasn't as jerky.

I was just pointing at a way to save yourself time in the future. Really though, which way do you view reality, the way you wrote it the first time or the second time?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  17. TopDawg

TopDawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

They'd bitch and moan that we don't score enough points in our wins. Or that we went 8 minutes without a FG even though the other team went 13 minutes without a FG earlier.

18. pappy

pappy Well-Known Member

He been fired yet? .... no news is probably bad news (bad news being he isn't fired)

19. pappy

pappy Well-Known Member

Sure is a lot of people bitchin' and moaning about people bitchin' and moaning on here

20. pappy

pappy Well-Known Member

looks like I hurt someones little bitty feelings here...you aren't his lover are you? I thought he was with miss oklahoma and not some fat gay guy.