1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIRE CAPEL ! ! !

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by StoopTroup, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I disagree...Godbold was average, Johnson was average, Clark sucked, and Neal was decent. Of that list Nate Carter was pretty damn good as was Taylor and Crocker. Longar got better under Capel, he sucked under Sampson.

2. Collier11

absolutely

3. bigfatjerk

bigfatjerk New Member

AJ was by far the best PG we've had under Capel. There's nobody else even close. Neal was hurt all of that year still averaged over 10 a game that year. Godbold was a great defender for the first couple of Capel teams. He didn't have great numbers, but he made some big shots. One against Baylor that was huge.

4. Collier11

Godbold made a couple of big shots but wasnt a good player overall...AJ was not that good except his SR year which was under Capel fyi.

5. bigfatjerk

bigfatjerk New Member

I'm not saying that it wasn't under Capel. Here was my point, the reason Capel is having the issues he's having now is because his recruits are killing him not because of what Kelvin left him like you implied. There was a lot there that ended up building the Elite 8 team. It's what Capel recruited that ended up in the last 2 seasons.

6. Collier11

Capel also recruited Warren who is in the NBA, recruited Blake who is a Star in the NBA, among others. Point being, I think we all attest he can recruit talent, its the character that has to be better.

Listen, this year he threw a team together cus TMG and Gallon left when they shouldnt have, and honestly so did Warren. There is some talent on this team, not a lot but there is some. We will see if they get better next year, if not, see ya, if so then he deserves to build on it IMO

OU_Sooners75 likes this.
  7. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It's misleading to simply list those players. You can't ignore certain things like the fact that Crocker was only a freshman at that point, and that Taylor was a sophomore who couldn't yet contribute much. Replace Neal and Carter with a freshman Blake (while I would certainly take Blake, that trade isn't all that lopsided) and you basically have the team that went to the NCAA Tournament and won their first round game. That shows how much those players improved (under Capel's coaching). Maybe it's just me, but I'm kinda excited to see what Capel can do with players like Clark, Osby, and Fitzgerald next year. This team will have talent, and I fully expect a return to the NCAA's. It amazes me that you guys think we will have some magical turnaround by hiring a mid-major coach.

8. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

David was a yery solid player.I would go so far as to say that for the first three years of their careers Cade and Godbold were identical players.Cade seperates himself with much better senior year.

9. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If you're going to use his first 5 years, be accurate. His first 5 years were at Army and he only got one NIT bid. So, to be completely accurate it took him 9 years to make it to the NCAA's. In fact, the year before he went to Duke he had a stellar 9-17 record.

10. OUNC06

OUNC06 New Member

FAIL!!!

11. oumartin

oumartin New Member

Jay is full of fail.

12. Mad Dog Madsen

Mad Dog Madsen New Member

Heh. That was just 5 days ago. Can we neg you for that? :D

13. Straz1999

Straz1999 New Member

CONFIRMED. 95% OR BETTER, MY FRIEND.

14. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

15. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Okay Boren ole boy, Please tell me how this can be in Capel's best interests??

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  16. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

it allows him to get another job somewhere else with a fresh start ;)

17. sooner518

sooner518 New Member

wow i am surprised. i was WAY wrong on this one. its kind of a relief to be honest though. now we can start over....

18. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Jay Upchurch?

toast likes this.
  19. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I guess if we were going to get rid of him, this was the time to do it. This team was tourney bound next year.

20. GDC

GDC New Member

Thank god, now please hire Gillespie.