1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ALL Things Tourney Related (RPI, Bracketology, etc.)

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by OUSKINS, Jan 15, 2009.

1. ouflak

ouflak Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

Well, our OOC schedule went 10-5 Saturday, which is ofcourse not bad. But there were a couple of bad losses in there. For those computers that take scoring into account, I don't think we will improve much if at all. Now to see what happens during the week.

2. tommieharris91

tommieharris91 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

RPI doesn't take scoring into account.

Arkansas was one of the teams that lost. They really need to cut that out.

3. ouflak

*blech* Purdue lost.

4. OUSKINS

OUSKINS New Member

We need to accpet the fact that we aren't going to have any "elite" wins because many of the teams we've defeated have been disappointing. However, we have a whole bunch of quality wins and our overall body of work should be just fine to keep us in line for a #1 seed. Here's the question: Let's say OU goes 14-2 in the B12--- what is the equivalent record to that, in say, the Big East or ACC? I think that's what you need to determine and judge from there.

5. cheezyq

cheezyq Well-Known Member

It's just like the SEC in football. 0-16

;):D

If we come out of the Big 12 Tourney with only 3 losses on the season, I think we're a low #1 seed, or a high #2.

6. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Considering we struggled mightily against Purdue and Davidson, and they're falling behind... how good are we, really?

7. cheezyq

cheezyq Well-Known Member

1. Those were the 3rd and 6th games of the season. A lot has happened since then, and we've improved significantly. Juan Pattillo, AJ, etc.

2. I'm not sure we "struggled" against Davidson. After the first 5 minutes, we never trailed again, and were ahead by 21 at one point. Just like some other games, we let them back in, but we closed out just like the other times.

3. Purdue won 7 straight until this week and has had some injury issues.

We won't know how good we are until we face KU and really until the end of the season. But my hunch is that we're easily in the top 5. If we don't make it at least to the Elite 8, this team will probably be disappointed.

8. ouflak

Tough week for our OOC schedule. 7-8 with no more chances to improve. A couple of tough losses, but also a couple of wins by a decent margin. I kind of feel sorry for Sagarin. His team took a drubbing. I didn't think Duke could score so few points.

9. OUSKINS

OUSKINS New Member

OU is now #1 in the RPI. At this point, I think we'd really have to mess things up to not get a #1 seed in the Big Dance.

10. OUmillenium

OUmillenium New Member

Agreed ^

11. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

With Patillo coming on, and multiple scoring threats on any night, I'm feeling better about this team. I'd love to have the first seed out there, and honestly there is not a game on our remaining schedule that we should lose. KU, MU, and Texas on the road are the only worries... But they're games we have to win not only to keep our 1 seed, but to prove that we belong and can really play with the big boys.

12. tommieharris91

Jerry Palm updated his bracket today. A few teams of note:

OU is a 1 seed. The other 1s are UConn, UNC, and Pitt.
    Kansas is a 4.
    Mizzou is a 6.
    Texas is a 9.
    ATM and Baylor are both 11s. Baylor is one of his last 4 in.

OSU is one of his first 4 teams out.

13. IronHorseSooner

IronHorseSooner New Member

Tex@$$ at a #9 is a bit harsh, but is hilarious. I told folks before the season started that having them as a Top 10 was stupid. In the college game, if you don't have quality PG, you are in deep trouble. All of the others are about right, but watch for KSTATE to get some talk if they keep on this streak.

14. tommieharris91

We'll probably lose the #1 RPI ranking tomorrow no matter what happens. Colorado is bringing in their 225 RPI, and that will probably hurt us. Duke is #2 and playing #45 Miami. A win for the D00kies could bring them above us.

Anyway, it's the RPI, and ours is still pretty high. It isn't the BCS. It isn't really too much to worry about.

15. ouflak

OOC was 6-8 Yesterday. Tough week. Just as long as we keep winning ourselves....

16. tommieharris91

Apparently Jery Palm updates his bracket twice a week. Notables from his update today:

OU is a 1 seed. The others are UConn, Pitt, and UNC.
    Kansas is a 4
    Mizzou is a 5
    Texas is an 8

...and that's it. No OSU, ATM, Baylor, KSU, or Nebraska. He lists Baylor as his first team out.

17. ouflak

OOC was 8-7 this week. Arkansas lost yet again. We did get a nice win ourselves though over Baylor, which may or may not be useful depending on how well they can pull things together. Now we just need to get past Tech and get ready to face what is pretty much our toughest stretch of the season.

18. IronHorseSooner

IronHorseSooner New Member

We are seeing the top 4 (us, UCONN, UNC, and Pitt) beginning to separate. Teams #5-#8 (Duke, UCLA, Louisville, and Wake respectively) all lost during the week. Unless those 4 teams tank, those are your top 4 seeds. UCONN's loss of Dyson is huge. He's their version of Willie Warren. They have some other good guards, but when they need a play from a perimeter guy, he's usually the one. With Pitt and UCONN playing on Monday, I see Pitt winning, even though it is at UCONN. That game may set offensive basketball back to the 1950s.

19. ouleaf

ouleaf New Member

I think if we beat KU we are pretty much a lock for a No. 1 seed at this point.

20. oumartin

oumartin New Member

has nobody been watching Memphis?

They aren't just good they are probably better than any team playin' right now.

They have three losses but man I would not wanna play them come tourney time