1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, that was a rough one...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by 8timechamps, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

Stoops farts away two or three every season. No reason to lose to TCU. But, when your coaching staff starts Ross over Perine and can't figure out that your QB can't hit the broadside of a barn....

We again go 10-3. And, Stoops is given an extension to 2040.

As stated before, this is more a business machine these days than a championship machine. As long as money is being made, that's all that counts to these guys.

We're Texas Lite.

2. cherokeebrewer

cherokeebrewer New Member

No doubt TK was not playing well, but what do you do as a coach...give up on him? I understand the frustration, but give TCU some credit, they're pretty good. The bolded part is simply not true.

3. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

Perhaps the bolded part refers to administrators and other decision-makers, as opposed to the coaches and players. I think you're absolutely right, that winning championships and being the best is very important to coaches and players. But maybe for Boren, the regents, whoever else involved looks more at the money angle and would, in fact, settle for no championships as long as big money was still coming in.

4. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm sure those 4 carries Ross got yesterday are what did us in...

BoulderSooner79 likes this.
  5. cherokeebrewer

I'm not sure why Boren or the Regents would even enter the conversation unless someone wants Bob Stoops to be fired.

6. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

I think that's exactly where the conversation lay. I obviously don't know TDTW's personal feelings about what he wants for a timeline (not that he really holds back) but I read him to mean that if a change were needed at HC in order to win championships, that would never happen because even at 1-2 losses per year, the money machine is so intense that they wouldn't consider making that change. Now if the money dried up--that's a different story.

7. aurorasooner

aurorasooner Well-Known Member

I heard a pretty good rant by one of the analysts (I think it was Curtis Conway) on that PAC recap show early this am (watching it because there was nothing else CFB related on). He was a former player and not a former coach and he was talking about UCLA and Hundley.
    He said when are these coaches (talking about N Malzone (sp-?) the UCLA OC) going to take some responsibility and quit blaming the players for not executing when things/plays don't work and quit calling these plays that don't work over and over. He was talking about the UCLA O line letting Hundley getting sacked so much. He basically said when are they going to call some quick dump-off passes or runs or just something to change the offense up.
    Slick Rick and the other panelists just sat there shocked. It was pretty good. I was going, yeah we know, we've seen it too.

Of course, you don't know how much of this stuff is scripted to get a rise out of their audience and he was just the designated ''"bad guy, sort of like all that crap from Skippy and Stephen A. and most of the other CFB network talk shows these days.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  8. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

Right on the money. Like Texas gave Mack and DeLoss too much leeway, we do the same. It's easy to get lulled into what Texas got lulled into: "We won 10 and only lost the others by a few plays here and there. So, everything is okay." It's lazy. We're 13 seasons past a national title; just one shy of the 1986-1999 drought.

As far as the Ross/Perine and QB discussion, when we line up from play number one, Perine should be in the backfield. Ross shouldn't even be part of the equation anymore unless Perine is injured. Ditto Ford when he' s healthy again.

We are stuck with Knight because he accidentally had a great game against Alabama. He throws behind receivers because his arm isn't strong enough to get the ball where it needs to be when the receiver breaks open.

I'm more and more believing Saban when he says his team viewed the Sugar Bowl as a consolation.

9. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

That wouldn't cause TK to be accurate. He's got a confidence issue for whatever reason. Also, this team is not the same team as in the Sugar Bowl. May be better in some areas (D-line), but definitely weaker in others as we haven't adequately replaced Saunders, Bester or Colvin. Perine is running very well, but we haven't replace the critical catches we were getting from Brennen Clay at RB. Maybe we got those from Ford when he returns.

10. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

ROSS HAD 4 CARRIES, FORD HAD 0 CARRIES, AND PERINE HAD 25 CARRIES

11. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

Yeah, I like Perine--a lot--but Ford is still our best all-around back. I think the tandem of Ford and Perine will squeeze Ross out to be situational. I think Ross could be very effective if we can find some way to get him the ball out in space where his jets take over. But both Ford and Perine just punish a D, and Ford has better top-end speed and looks (thus far) to be better receiving.

12. BoulderSooner79

Last year the TCU game was a clear omen to the horn game because the horns would play a similar defense, but had a much better offense than TCU. I didn't think this year would be similar because the horns are so weak on offense this year. Now I fear it is similar to last year. The horns have been stout on D and held Baylor to less than 400 yards offense and 21 points. We will not be able to move the ball with consistency using the power running game. The horn offense is weak, but their QB is mobile and improving with each game. We've given up 500 and 470 yards in the last 2 games, so I'm starting to wonder if we can totally shut them down.

One thing you can bet the house on: the horns will do everything possible to stop the run and force TK to beat man coverage with his arm. If TK continues to struggle, could be a long day.

13. cherokeebrewer

Mack Brown's record his last 4 years

5-7
    8-5
    9-4
    8-5

Bob Stoops' record the last 4 years

12-2
    10-3
    10-3
    11-2

14. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

So, you're happy with losing at least 2 games every year, or is it enough that Bob isn't Mack Brown?

15. cherokeebrewer

Not happy anytime we lose, but not ready to fire the coach who has won the most games in OU football history either.

16. TrophyCollector

TrophyCollector Well-Known Member

Yea, just change the expectations. Now we can say, "The history of Oklahoma is about winning a lot of games."

17. BoulderSooner79

No, keep expecting to win every game and keep throwing fits when it doesn't happen. Tried and true.

18. Curly Bill

It's not worth throwing a fit over anymore. You can take it to the bank that OU will lose at least two games every year - the only mystery is which two will it be.

19. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Realistic expectations can go a looooong way toward enjoying the season...every season! :)

20. Curly Bill

But hey! We kept the PC police somewhat on our sides with the Shannon and Mixon dealios....

...so we got that going for us!

Oh wait...DGB. Damn, we can't even do PC right!