1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, that was a rough one...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by 8timechamps, Oct 4, 2014.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Just not much 'good' to take away from this one.

We got out-played and out-coached for a large part of the game, and in the end we couldn't make the plays we needed to make...and TCU did.

I'm going to rewatch the game before I do any kind of break-down.

I was nervous about this game, and am no "shocked" we lost, but a loss always sucks.

As much as I hate losing, I always think about the players and how they must feel. They live and breathe the game, and I'm sure they are hurting far more than anyone posting here. I hope they don't let this loss define them. There's a lot of football left to play, and the playoff race is still pretty wide open.

In closing, I would like to publicly ask that any future losses be night games. It's much easier to go straight to bed after a loss than have the rest of the day to avoid the media.

BOOMER!

2. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Whew! And adult has entered the building - thanks, 8time!

:highly_amused:

3. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Well, I've had time to vent all of my child-like behavior. :)

Before I came to the site, I watched Knight's 'press conference'...you could feel his pain. He knows he didn't play well, and he admitted it, but man I like that kid. It just brought it back into perspective (which is why I always want to watch the post game press conferences after a loss).

4. Aries

Aries Active Member

TCU is a good team and just out played us. Knight had a rough game, especially second half but this game will not define us. Saxet will face our wrath.

5. BoulderSooner79

Unless we get put on upset alert.

6. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Heh....

7. aurorasooner

aurorasooner Well-Known Member

Rough one alright.
    I could live with all the earlier screw-ups if our offense would have just been somewhat competitive in our last 3 possessions. After looking at the stats our D just flat wasn't very good today (or the TCU O was all-World) and M Stoops got pwned by another mobile QB, but at least they still got 2 TOs in the 4th to give us a chance.
    Patterson's D game plan was just way ahead of whichever coach was in charge of our offense, though.

Pretty much went the way a few analysts said it would. TCU's secondary would play 1 on 1 against our receivers, load the box and shut our run game down, and then make TK win it.

What surprised me the most though is that our with our QB obviously struggling, our staff (from what I remember) only gave him one easy throw, and that was the screen, and we never ran it again.

8. BoulderSooner79

Pretty much agree with all of that. Folks argue Perine should have gotten the ball more, but he got 25 carries and they held him to 3.5 yds/carry. That's a heavy load with less than stellar result. When TCU gave us a chance with 2 turnovers late in the game, that's when good teams make a big play and make lesser teams pay for their mistakes. We didn't have it in us.

9. okiewaker

okiewaker New Member

Well said 8time.

10. BlownGP

BlownGP Member

Tough loss, I felt it was TCU's day..
    They should have had at least 2-3 more turn overs. They fumbled the ball in the end zone, tipped ball went right in their receivers, Boykin fumbled in the first half and he jumped back on it.

I was kinda shocked how TCU's defense played, but then again our offesne is can be down right crappy like we've seen over the short season. Our defense would make up for it but it caught up to us in this game.

11. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I totally agree, the kids played, got beat. I do totally put the TO and time management on Stoops and the staff. Seriously, I would bet that we waste at least 1 TO a game because we are still trying to get the play in with under 10 seconds....THAT just burns my a$$ more than anything...it screams ineptness on the coaches. Stoops will never admit there is a problem in that area...ever. Okay...sorry.

12. Blue

Blue SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I hate running from the shotgun on 4th and a half yard. Your starting from 5 yards back.

13. TrophyCollector

TrophyCollector Well-Known Member

How else to you expect to run up and down give your OL the call in the last 5 seconds of the play clock? A QB can't do that if he is under center.

14. Sooner91ATL

Sooner91ATL New Member

I was watching from a "stream" overseas and listening to the radio call and also watching the 4-way camera on soonersports. none of it was streaming very well, and the radio call was about 7 minutes behind the actual fox stream, which was frozen 50% of the time. Hard for me to detect any nuances, but my overall gut feeling is that we lapsed back into that uninspired approach that plagues us for a few games each year, where there is a lot of standing around, hands on hips early, no pop or fire. Flat, would be the word that comes to mind.

15. 5noubus

5noubus New Member

Pretty much went the way a few analysts said it would. TCU's secondary would play 1 on 1 against our receivers, load the box and shut our run game down, and then make TK win it.

This is what I don't understand.
    Why weren't we prepared for that?
    Where was plan b? What happen to our defense?

16. cherokeebrewer

cherokeebrewer New Member

Most tough games are won or lost in the trenches. We got whupped on both sides of the ball, yet still had a chance to win it in the end. Two plays to get 2 yards and then came the cluster f**k. Plenty of blame to go around in this game.

17. Since71ASooner4Life

Since71ASooner4Life Active Member

It aint the end of the world. Win the rest and almost certainly they will end up in the top 4.

Let's hope for a (another) blowout next saturday

18. cherokeebrewer

And let me add, Boykin had a great game and TCU beat us fair and square...credit to their team.

19. dwarthog

dwarthog Well-Known Member

No doubt TCU beat us fair and square. To a man they outplayed us in the areas of the game that matter the most.

20. cherokeebrewer

I don't know man, we got ebola, but yeah, the Sun did come up this morning...so there's that.