1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was Steve Davis aboard this?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by olevetonahill, Mar 17, 2013.

1. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

2. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

Re: Steve Davis dead...

Amen. Got a little choked up on that. Steve Davis was a guy that literally practice what he preached.

3. TUSooner

TUSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

That really is too sad. I am very, very sorry to hear it. Davis's years were my prime years as a teen-aged Sooner fan. He was a guy whom any decent person could and should admire. I don't think we fans appreciated how great he really was because OU had so much wishbone talent in those days. I'm also pretty sure we didn't quite appreciate what a fine man he was, though it was obvious and became more so as he got older. At the very least he brought credit to OU and was a man we Sooners could be proud of. May he and Wesley Caves rest in peace and love, and may light eternal shine upon them.

sooner n houston likes this.
  4. aero

aero Well-Known Member

One of my all time Sooner favorites. Those were glory days indeed. Condolences to the families.

5. wishbonesooner

wishbonesooner New Member

That 7-7 tie with USC signaled the arrival of that Sooner dynasty. I believe USC was the defending national champ and still had a team full of stars. Little Joe's punt return is still the greatest single play I've ever seen. Davis was a Wishbone technician.

6. cherokeebrewer

cherokeebrewer New Member

Very sad news...Steve was a good man and one of the best Sooners to ever play the game. Condolences and prayers to his family...

7. Re: Steve Davis dead...

I had a few conversations with Steve concerning my own faith walk..Never talked football though.

God Bless Steve.

8. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Here it is. Very well done and Lots of Class.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/031813aaa.html

9. sooner n houston

sooner n houston New Member

I am doubly troubled today. I just learned of this tragedy from a friend. Steve was an exceptional person and football player that I greatly admired. The other casualty in this accident, the pilot Wes Caves, was a childhood friend of mine. RIP.

Both families are in my prayers tonight.

Lott's Bandana likes this.
  10. The Remnant

The Remnant New Member

A friend of mine was a wide receiver for USC in 1973. I met up with him at the end of the season and he told me that the Sooners were far and away the most talented team that they played that year.

11. tulsaoilerfan

tulsaoilerfan Ready for Baseball Season

RIP Steve; i grew up with those first Switzer teams and those guys were my idols; Steve, Little Joe, Lee Roy, Jimbo, and even though he wasn't a Switzer player Greg Pruitt; makes me feel really old when any of those guys are taken from us.

12. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

Condolences on your loss. I can remember watching Steve host Switzer's midweek show back in the '80's when I was living out there. He was a class act all the way.

Only three collegiate qb's have led their teams to consecutive NC's in the last 40yrs: AJ McCarron, Tommy Frazier, and Steve Davis.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  13. 12

12 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Sorry for your loss.

14. 12

12 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Many of us grew up in the time to remember Steve on the field. Thanks for the amazing memories.

15. MyT Oklahoma

MyT Oklahoma New Member

I heard about this news right before lunch today and I was both shocked and saddened.

I became an OU football fan during the Run of '71 so I got to watch the two TV games in 1973 (Texas and Nebraska) and listen to everything else on AM radio including that Saturday night game at USC. Oh how I learned to love the Sooners in the 1970's and following them week after week and year after year. There are so many good memories from that wonderful decade and Steve Davis played a part in a number of them.

Anyway, dear Lord please forgive Steve his sins, please be merciful, and please grant his immortal soul eternal peace and everlasting life. Thy will be done.

P.S. Thanks for the memories #5 and Rest In Peace.

16. MyT Oklahoma

MyT Oklahoma New Member

Thanks for sharing. Much appeciated.

17. Piware

Piware Well-Known Member

What a sad day for the Sooner Nation. Steve Davis was not only a brilliant athlete, he was the consummate classy gentleman. Lots of role models have emerged from the Sooner ranks and he belongs right at the top. May God be with this family.

18. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Steve preached at our church when I was little and I recall him showing game film in our fellowship hall. Later he ate lunch at my home, I'm guessing because my father was a Deacon. this was mid 70's, not long after he graduated.
    My wife and I saw him coming out of the theater in '08 just after Christmas, it was a small crowd and we talked on our way out the door. He said OU was going to need some luck against Florida and Tebow.

And as I said, he was in our eye glass store the Friday before the RRS back in October. A guy I wrk with in the back is a big OU fan like me and he went up and talked to him. I was busy. Now we wish we'd gotten pics with him.

19. winout

winout New Member

Steve also came to a Bible study at my church when I was 11. I still have the autographed football some 39 years later. I grew up listening on the radio to the games and like most Okie kids emulated the OU quarterback in our backyard games. I still remember the sting of losing to KU in '75. My father, not a sports fan, was from Kansas and got some mileage out of that loss to my chagrin. The Selmons, Tinker Owens, Little Joe and #5... those were the days to grow up in Oklahoma for sure.

I never saw Steve after that day. Someday in heaven I'll have to thank him for the inspiration and example he was to me, from afar, to live a life that our Saviour can be pleased with. Rest in Peace, Steve.

[​IMG]

sooner n houston and picasso like this.