1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switzer threw a clunker in every couple of years, Stoops throws them in....

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Soonerus, Nov 8, 2013.

1. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

Osborne didn't do crap until Switzer wasn't around to keep him in check...

2. Snrinhouston

Snrinhouston Active Member

Yep, my biggest fear is that the diminished luster of the OU brand nationally will start to happen regionally. Lotta nice new bells and whistles in Stillwater courtesy of T-Boone. Those bells and whistles may look even shinier the more tarnished the OU brand becomes.

3. soonertodd

soonertodd New Member

It bugs me too. After we won it all in 2000 we were the hot program at the time.Stoops had no problems getting into recruits homes. And I think that carried us til 2008. Had we beaten Florida I think it would have picked up again.But we lost our 3rd straight title game and had already lost some embarassing games on the nat'l stage. We definitely are not the same program to recruits as we were 12 years ago.

And yes Switzer owned Osborne like Bob owns mack. See Osbones reaction to having to play us again in the Orange Bowl in 78.

4. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Have we got around to quizzing who had the jock strap contract in '81, or which type of salad fork Horace Ivory preferred?

Losses happen. The lopsided losses, and horrific play we have seen recently are something from another level.

5. Snrinhouston

Agree 100%. False start followed immediately by delay of game was so indicative (as well as disgusting)

6. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

Bud, Barry or Bob....which has the best winning percentage against ranked teams (top 25)? It's Bob Stoops. So why do so many folks just not consider him in the same strata as Bud or Barry? It's just what you said, the not-in-the-ballgame, lopsided losses where we look completely inept and unprepared. You have to dig deep into both Bud and Barry's record to find the kind of losses we now experience every year. Neither Bud or Barry ever experienced anything like the USC debacle or the WV Fiesta Bowl. Barry's bowl game against Arkansas was as close as it came.

At this point I just don't have a lot of confidence we are going to see much, if anything different out of Bob Stoops in the future.

7. Snrinhouston

Yep. But I'm afraid Boren/Castiglione are not concerned with being an elite team first and foremost. They will only react if attendance/revenue noticeably fall.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  8. SOONER44EVER

SOONER44EVER SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I don't have any stats in front of me but I'd bet Barry didn't lose 5 games his entire career to unranked teams. Bob has about that many losses to unranked teams in the last 4 or 5 years. Barry had a few bad losses. Bob has had many.

9. Soonerus

Soonerus SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Agreed, many....

10. SOONER44EVER

And i just don't count unranked teams beating us as a bad loss. When Arky beat us 31-6 that was a bad loss. Bob has had a lot of those lopsided losses too.

11. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You said many in your previous post and then said a lot in the next. Are u just agreeing with yourself?

12. SOONER44EVER

Yeah. Pretty much.

13. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yes, it is much better than arguing with yourself, indeed.

14. Soonerus

A lot vs. many is a difference without a distinction ....foul on birddog for mentioning it...

15. soonertodd

soonertodd New Member

By my rough count Switzer lost 8 times to unranked teams. Stoops 15 and counting.Switzers worstoss was the Arky game and Bobs was in the orange bowl also,against USC.

16. Soonerus

But Switzer rarely got embarrassed...

17. soonertodd

soonertodd New Member

No he didn't. It happens way too often anymore. Thursday night when the offense was on the field I could hear Benny Hill music playing in my head.

18. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think that whole Lacewell thing embarrassed him.

19. Soonerus

Possibly, but we are talking about football games...

20. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

One more thing to add to Switzer's legacy, is him being the Offensive Coordinator when we switched to the wishbone and perfected the most prolific offense the football world had ever witnessed:

In 1971, offensive coordinator Barry Switzer perfected the wishbone offense as it led the nation in both scoring (45 points average) and total yards (563 total yards average), and set an NCAA record by averaging over 472.4 (5196 in 11 games) rushing yards in a season.[4] The team holds the current school record with 7.07 yards per rushing attempt and 7.6 yards per play as well as the records for 469.6 rushing yards (5635 in 12 games counting bowl game) and 566.83 yards of total offense per game. The team also holds the single-season rushing touchdowns record of 62 and rushing touchdowns per game record of 5.17. The team's records of 711 single-game rushing yards and 785 total yards stood for nine seasons.[5] Jack Mildren's single-season record for yards rushing by a quarterback of 1140 would be broken three seasons later by Freddie Solomon.[6]

Greg Pruitt set the current national single-season record with 8.98 yards per attempt,[7] the school's single-game records of 294 rushing yards and 374 all-purpose yards. Meanwhile, Jon Harrison set the single-season and career yards per reception with 29.1 and 27.0.[8] His 2066 single-season all-purpose yards record stood until Quentin Griffin broke it in 2002. Joe Wylie's kickoff return average record of 28.5 stood for 27 years.[9]

The team was led by three All-Americans: Pruitt,[7] Tom Brahaney[10] and Jack Mildren.[11] The team won its first nine games on a schedule that included five ranked opponents (In order, #17 USC, #3 Texas, #6 Colorado, #1 Nebraska and #5 Auburn). All five of these opponents finished the season ranked. The only loss was to Nebraska. They played Auburn in the Sugar Bowl and won 40–22.[3]