1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switzer threw a clunker in every couple of years, Stoops throws them in....

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Soonerus, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Soonerus

Soonerus SoonerFans.com Elite Member

...2-3 per year...no comparison. Switzer is the King !!!

2. SOONER44EVER

SOONER44EVER SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I remember people were trying to compare Bob to Bud and Barry. I lol'ed at them.

3. Soonerus

I think Switzer's top salary at OU was $40K...weird...

4. OkieThunderLion

OkieThunderLion New Member

Did you guys miss '81, '82, '83?

5. Soonerus

Shut it up, punk...

6. Snrinhouston

Snrinhouston Active Member

Yep. Those were leaner years. I've always wondered if they were triggered by the brutal loss against USC in '81. Would love to ask Switzer if he ever rethought punting the ball away on 4th and 1 after Rhymes came up one yard short on that 3rd down reverse.

7. Snrinhouston

This so-called punk has a point. 7-4-1 in 81; 8-4 in '82; and 8-4 in '83 (damn near 7-5 but for Lashar at the OSU game). Barry himself said he asked the powers-that-be before the '84 season how many wins he needed to keep his job. And after the KU loss in '84, he told the team that he needed it to beat Mizzou the next week to save his job. In retrospect, Switzer says the problem those three years were some misses on recruiting. Both people that they got, and the ones they didn't (Leiding to UT and Gill to NU)

Regardless, Stoops' name should not be used in the same sentence as Switzer's.

8. Soonerus

Switzer had the pass with 3 MNC, nothing further is needed....

9. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

But you, but you just….

10. Snrinhouston

Agree. Switzer had a lot of credit in the bank with the two NCs in the 70's and the consecutive OB wins over NU, FSU, and FSU. Further, though the loss totals in 81-83 were unusually high for Switzer, few (if any ) of the losses were embarrassing beatdowns. And many of the losses were nail-biters. Stoops' last three losses damn sure aint been
    fourth quarter nail-biters.

11. Snrinhouston

Ah yes...thanks for pointing out the irony/inconsistency. My bad.

12. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I just thought it was a trick statement to stub our brains.

13. Soonerus

You rookies know nothing...this is unacceptable ...

14. SoonerMachine

SoonerMachine Member

And Switzer admitted that he was burned out and even not attending practice like he should. Bob on the other hand...

15. SOONER44EVER

Who did we lose to by 30 or 40 points in those years? Who gained 600 yards on our D? When did we have delay of game penalties after a tv timeout? When did we never have even 1 timeout left when halftime was approaching? I was there in 81, 82 and 83 and never saw any of this stuff.

16. Snrinhouston

Ok Soonerus...you clearly are the resident expert on the point at hand: The contention that Switzer had down years in 81-83. Given that, you should easily be able to answer these questions which I will throw off the top of my head.

1. Who was OU's third string QB in 1981?
    2. Who was the star defensive player for the WV team that beat OU in 82?
    3. Who was the starting QB for SC in 81? Where did he transfer after that season?
    4. Who was the starting QB for SC in 82 for the game in Norman?
    5. What defensive player for OU stripped a Houston player of a would be touchdown near the goal line in the Sunbowl?
    6. Within plus or minus 10 yards, how many did Dupree have at half time in the Fiesta Bowl?
    7. Why didn't Rozier play in the second half of the 83 game?

17. Snrinhouston

Yep, nothing...that's what I thought. You can stop googling the answers.

18. SOONER44EVER

I could guess at a bunch. The only one I think I know may be the Dupree one.

19. Snrinhouston

1. Rod Pegues
    2. Darryl Talley
    3. John Mazur...left for Texas A/M
    4. Sean Salisbury
    5. Reilly, believe the first name was Jim.
    6. Believe the exact number is 237
    7. Hip pointer

My point being, Soonerus needs be a bit more careful before calling people rookies. The number of posts someone has isn't necessarily an indication of how well he/she knows Sooner football.

20. soonergirlNeugene

soonergirlNeugene New Member

The game is different than it was when the King was HC. This isn't the Big 8 and the bone is nothing more than a novelty, much as ppl might wish otherwise. Some of you guys need to calm the hell down. I'm annoyed with the playcalling, but that one is on Heupel who was a stellar QB coach, but dubious as an OC.

Snrinhouston likes this.