1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sooner womens basketball thread 2014-15

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Oct 13, 2014.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Much like the whorn thing, this was all about the elementary kids:

They've done elementary days as far back as I can remember, but they usually landed on Saturdays. I don't have anything bad to say about those games, because kids tend to be quite vocal and fun sports fans even if they don't always understand what's going on

2. badger

So we won last weekend... but more importantly, we travel to Baylor 6 p.m. tonight. TV is Fox Sports Southwest I think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wish I still had the photo of the old lady OU fan with the "HATE GREEN" sign, which was actually in reference to Notre Dame, but let's face it: There's many green teams out there worthy of hating.

Boomerrrrr

3. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

Better bring lube.

4. badger

ONE TRUE CHAMPION
    ONE TRUE CHAMPION
    ONE TRUE CHAMPION
    ONE TRUE CHAMPION
    ONE TRUE CHAMPION
    ONE TRUE CHAMPION
    ONE TRUE CHAMPION
    ONE TRUE CHAMPION
    ONE TRUE CHAMPION

5. SicEmBaylor

Indeed, you're right. The one true champion the last four years in a row, five of the last six, and six of the last ten. ;)

6. badger

Baylor: We had the best player in womens basketball history and only got one true (national) champion(ship) out of her

I volunteer my staple gun to ensure Kim Mulkey does not remove any clothing tonight

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  7. SicEmBaylor

We won the National Championship in 2012 with Griner.

8. badger

I retract my previous insult and have edited to reflect your lonely, single status in the Griner-championship category. *sigh* do i just need to pull out the Ann Richards got you in the Big 12 card to get a rise out of you. No, I'll just save you the trouble:

Ann Richards did not get us in the Big 12! Ann Richards did not get us in the Big 12! Ann Richards did not get us in the Big 12! Ann Richards did not get us in the Big 12! Ann Richards did not get us in the Big 12!

9. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'll take OU's National Championship in Softball over bu's bball. Gym continually in top 3...so I'd say OU's women's sports are above bu, if ya want to compare...just sayin.

10. SicEmBaylor

LOL. Weak. You'd take a softball championship over two national championships in basketball? Lolz...well, okay, then. We don't compete in gym, so that's hardly a fair comparison; however, you don't compete in equestrian so let's consider those two a wash.

Our Women's Tennis team is also better than OU's historically. Uh...you guys have us in women's golf so uh...that's something, I guess.

11. badger

Baylor allowed us to score 66 on them.
    And as you can see, Skeletor is furious.
    [​IMG]
    But that picture does not do her hideous gameday attire justice. Here's a wider shot:
    [​IMG]
    Around now is the time I openly suggest we dump Baylor and pick up a more championship-getting women's basketball program, so once again, let's get UConn because unlike Baylor, they actually are a legit No. 1 year in and year out. But badger! Baylor got a Fiesta Bowl berth recently! They might not have won, but they were still invited. Never fear, Big 12 loyalists. UConn is a Fiesta Bowl loser too:
    [​IMG]
    OU women's basketball related, because that's Mr. Whitney Hand holding the trophy :p

Ummm... do we even need to discuss the game? Sherri Coale is a much better sport and far more classy than I will ever be, so have it coach...

Next game: 3 p.m. Saturday hosting TCU. I'll get vBookie updated eventually to reflect this. Check a Fox Sports channel around then and you'll likely see the game.

Boomerrrrrrrr

12. SicEmBaylor

Sherri looks good on and off the court. Unfortunately, she isn't half the coach that Mulk is but at least she has looks going for her.

13. badger

It's all in good fun, dear SicEm. I'll go back to being cordial right up till our next matchup in Norman. ;)

Our colleagues over at ouhoops are not very happy about last night though. It's hard to have the Big 12's best rivalry when it's so damn lopsided since 2010. Ah well. Comeuppance after years of torture has served Baylor football well against OU, I'm sure you would agree. When you fall to OU, it will be mighty and it will be embarrassing... maybe not WHY THE HELL DIDNT BOOBY STOOPID NOT RUN OUT THE CLOCK AND TAKE IT INTO OVERTIME level of embarrassing, but let's just say it would be a bad day to be Kim Mulkey's pantsuit jacket ;)

14. SicEmBaylor

I gave Sherri a compliment! :D

(actually I really like her, so it's hard to find fault)

15. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

In general I would rate women's basketball championships over softball championships, but our softball champion team was widely regarded as the best of all time, so that adds a lot to it.

16. SicEmBaylor

In all honesty, I really like the Baylor-OU rivalry in WBB. It's been a lot of fun over the years.

17. Eielson

And Mulkey is probably the better coach, but it's not by THAT wide of a margin. Mulkey has owned the last 4-5 years, but Coale has dominated other 4-5 year stretches, so let's not get caught up in the moment.

Sweet Sixteens:
    Coale - 6
    Mulkey - 4

Elite Eights:
    Coale - 0
    Mulkey - 1

Final Fours:
    Coale - 2
    Mulkey - 1

Regular Season Conference Championships:
    Coale - 6
    Mulkey - 5

The big difference is ultimately that Mulkey won it all twice, while Coale has been unable to. Other than that, it's pretty similar. Right now Baylor has the strong edge. Will it last? Maybe. We'll see.

18. Eielson

It was a lot more fun in Mulkey's early years.

19. SicEmBaylor

Coale also has a 3 year head start on Mulkey, and the Baylor program was in pretty bad shape when Mulkey showed up ALTHOUGH she did immediately turn it around. Mulkey has taken Baylor to the big dance every year she's been coach.

But let's also not forget that Mulkey has a national championship as a player, as an assistant head coach, and she has an Olympic gold medal! But there's also something about Mulkey that OU can never understand -- something that no other university could possibly understand. Baylor's athletic department from top-to-bottom was as bad as it could get. There was even talk of abandoning football entirely, and in the midst of this succkage we had the men's basketball scandal. There was real talk of abandoning athletics entirely.

Mulkey was our light at the end of the tunnel not just because of her success, but how absolutely devoted she is to Baylor and how much she loves the school. She went around and talked to all of the other teams in the athletic department in order to give them a boost of confidence and make them believe they could win. Think about that for a moment, the WBB coach talked to the football team...basketball team...you name it in order to give them confidence. And I'll tell you this: Regardless of what sport at Baylor you're talking about, EVERYONE respects Mulkey. She demands it and she has most certainly earned it. Mulkey talked to the student body and gave everyone hope that things would get better. I was a student and on campus at the time, and Mulkey gave us something to be proud of. I'll never forget that. She PROMISED that we were on the cusp of something great.

And you know what? Damned if she wasn't right.

20. Eielson

Don't get me wrong...Mulkey is an amazing coach. She might even be #2 behind Auriemma. For just about everything you say about Mulkey, though, Coale is just as good, better, or not far behind. If I'm not mistaken, OU's program was pretty awful before Coale arrived. The only real difference is that Mulkey has finished the season with a W, and Oklahoma isn't dependent on women's basketball to get championships.