1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sooner womens basketball thread 2014-15

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Sooners play @ 6 on Saturday v winner of Friday's late game between WVU and TTech. According to Big 12 App, friday games are on FCS (Fox College Sports) and Saturday games are on FSN (Fox Sports Network). Sunday (semifinals) and Monday (championship) games are on FS1.

2. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Thanks judge. I might come back and preview both or just be angry at KU for winning the Big 12 crown again... or replace "KU" with "BU" for the women's side. Gah. No trophies for second place, especially since that's where OU likely will be for both. Kinda cool that we have good WBB and MBB programs, kinda not cool that neither can be the best :(

Boomer Sooner anyways

3. badger

I would love to play Texas Tech.
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps you are surprised and haven't seen the Big 12 standings lately (dead last). Perhaps you confuse them with the program that won a national title with Sheryl Swoopes decades ago. Perhaps you are worried that somehow, somewhere, Mike Leach is ready to upset you when your national title hopes least need it. Perhaps you think back to that season where Tech MBB got its only conference win against OU. Perhaps you are worried that if you transfer, Kliff will not let you get eligible at your new school despite never being on scholarship, or perhaps, Knight and Son are ready to choke you or throw you all under the bus in a postgame presser.
    [​IMG]
    Well, Tech sucks on and off the field in so many ways and since it's basketball season, maybe I should say on and off the court. They would be a wonderful team to defeat again (already beat them twice this season) and would be almost a sure-fire way to make it past our first Big 12 tournament game at 6 p.m. Saturday.
    But we are going to play West Virginia.
    [​IMG]
    Awww, aren't they cute... wait a sec. Where' the WVU we know and hate?
    [​IMG]
    On Feb. 1, they defeated us by 9 points in Morgantown. However, we beat them by 11 at home on Jan. 4. So, this could go either way, depending on if the team that beat Baylor at home shows up, or the team that lost at home to KU (ON SENIOR NIGHT!!!!) shows up.
    [​IMG]
    Or we can expect something in the middle: The team that showed up at Stillwater earlier this week. An abysmally awful first half, but a win on the road nonetheless. I'd never hope for that again, but it's likely what we're going to get going up against a fairly good opponent at a neutral (Dallas) site.

And now, a random Sherri quote:

Wait a sec... WVU, not Texas Tech, remember?

Oh that quote is soooo old but I'd love for her to say something similar after we win the tourney against them in a few days. A girl can dream, can't she?

Boomer

birddog likes this.
  4. badger

Whorn 59, OU 46
    [​IMG]
    The team we beat by 11 at home and took to 2OT in Austin had our number Sunday bloody Sunday as we took a close game mid-second half down to a bad final score margin. Bye bye chances of hosting the opening rounds. Bye bye top 25 poll mentions (let alone an actual ranking). Bye bye any hopes of getting a memorable postseason run.
    [​IMG]
    At one point the whorns were on a 14-0 run late in the second. Second. Half. Meltdown. I get that there's a lot of newcomers. I get that we've had a lot of seasons derailed by injuries. I get that we have one true senior and the other senior is a tennis transplant. Gahhhhh
    [​IMG]
    Sherri, shall I stop beating myself up?

[​IMG]
    There, that wasn't so hard was it?

Next game(???): The first round of the womens NCAA tournament is March 20-21. If we want to set our expectations uber low, WNIT opening rounds are March 18-20. Selection shows *I think* are March 16.

Don't let negative badger get you down. We are a tournament team. We are going to play again in a week. We are going to have a solid showing come hell or high water and dammit, there will be OU basketball this postseason! And they are going to win! Win lots! So much winning! YES! Final Four! YES! National title possibly? YES!!!!!! OU BASKETBALL WILL RISE THIS MONTH!
    [​IMG]
    You all saw that coming, didn't you? ;)

Boooooomerrrrrr...

5. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I have been squeamishly looking in, realizing we have been VERY inconsistent lately. Noticed we aren't in the top 25. Are we even going to the NCAA tourney(women)?

6. oudanny

oudanny New Member

I thought it was very poor execution of a very poor game plan.

7. badger

If we made it in last year, we will make it in this year. The Big 12 has the highest RPI on both mens and womens sides last I checked, so we are looking at a good number of bids even if we don't have more than one ranked team.

However, I suspect we will be in a very undesirable location against a very undesirable opponent and go out in one or two rounds.

8. aurorasooner

aurorasooner Well-Known Member

Just my impression but our wimmen's BB team looks like a bunch of special olympics athletes. That's perhaps a little too harsh. I guess a bunch of water gnats making herky-jerky motions on the water surface would be a better description. You see this from the lesser D-1 Women's teams quite a bit on TV when there's nothing else on and we're just looking for grins and giggles, and you wonder htf their players got a scholly. A lot of wasted motion, hands constantly wringing back and forth, a bunch of uncontrolled dribbling drives and then a bunch of dribbling around the perimeter with their heads down to the floor and not looking where to pass the BB and it's just a bunch of individual movement without a purpose. Our players have to be standing still flat-footed and wide open before anyone will pass the ball to them. Sort of reminded of our football QB play last year. Just no anticipation where the receiver is going to be.

Geezus, they're just not smooth and it sometimes looks like they've got basketball velcro on their hands before they throw up an NBA range 3 pointer before the clock expires after maybe one outside pass and that shot barely draws iron. It just looks uncoordinated and slow for college athletes, even women.
    That game against the whorns was a pitiful display for college athletes. Hopefully it was because they were tired from their effort the day before, couldn't get to sleep for fear of catching the Dallas ebola, the whorns had an excellent defensive game-plan coming in and the staff didn't adapt, or they were up all night Saturday studying for midterms. Baylor probably would've won by 40 against us that night.
    This off-season instead of constantly shooting in the gym, our women BB players need to do some workouts with our cheerleaders, a dance team, or perhaps the gymnastics team to develop some basic coordinated body movement type athletic skills.

9. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

That we're not in the top 25 is prolly an indication of serious deficiency.

10. badger

It just had to be Satanford, didn't it.
    [​IMG]
    NewsOK wrote about the rivalry a few years back here if ypu're just now tuning in:
    http://newsok.com/ou-vs.-stanford-feud-no-longer-so-bitter/article/3451343
    Cliff's Notes version: One of their trees got injured in our first NCAA tourney meeting in 2000. Coach Crypt Keeper whined to the media; Sherri produced a tape to show media no ill intentions. Trees have won every meeting since, including most recent Final Four trip. Gah.

But, we don't meet Satanford immediately. No, we meet Quinnipiac, which I have to copy and paste from elsewhere because I won't spell it right otherwise. We get by a team that's had only 3 losses all season, we get Satanford. At Satanford. Gah.

And now, my annual fearless Big 12 NCAA bracket predictions, which are surprising accurate:
    OU: After an underwhelming first half by both teams, The Sooners are slightly better in the second half to stave off QuinnipiacQuinnipiacQuinnipiacQuinnipiacQuinnipiacQuinnipiac (whoops I copied/pasted too many times, sorry), only to lose by 30 to Satanford. It will force fans to test out which team they hate the most in OKC... Notre Dame??? Satanford??? Or... Baylor. Gah.
    Prediction: Second round ouster to Satanford.

Texa$: You cannot write "Texa$" without a dollar sign when you include them in the NCAA tournament when they are a borderline team at best. So they are the 5-12 matchup against Western Kentucky? Then behold as the giant red blob mascot devours everything that enters his giant fake mouth. Om nom nom.
    Prediction: First round ouster to the Hilltoppers.

Iowa State: Why does Dayton get to host the men's First Four every year? If you need some random city with a basketball court, I volunteer Tulsa. Also, even if ISU makes it past Dayton, they're losing to Kentucky. Because screw Dayton and their annual First Four hosting, I pick ISU. Good for Kentucky for caring about womens basketball too... but will someone please beat their men?
    Prediction: Second round ouster at Kentucky.

OSU: Remember when Florida Gulf Coast was Lob City and then OSU thought they could be clever and call itself Lob Stilly? Well, their female counterparts meet in the opening round. OSU is the 10-seed, but I will be nice and pick them... to go on and lose to Lady Nole.
    Prediction: Second round ouster at FSU.

Baylor: The Big 12 might have the top RPI in both men's and women's basketball, but getting only 5 of our 10 teams in the NCAA tourney shows that the committee's not buying it. Baylor flubbed against us and we cost them a 1-seed, but they will bring boatloads of fans to the OKC regional after easily handling Northwestern State and Northwestern without the State at home. Then, Skeletor will cackle her way past 3-seed Iowa in OKC in front of more Baylor fans than you knew exisited. However, even the most fatal death incantations she utters at the refs will not be enough to top Notre Dame. Ignore BU's first three. That Elite Eight game will be the one to watch as she throws an epic tantrum to end all tantrums. It is sooooo nooooot faaaaaaaair
    Prediction: Elite Eight ouster to Notre Dame.

A lament: I wish we could have kept the Big 12 semi-together. We'd still be the best conference in WBB but we'd have annual matchups with Nebrasky now that they're good and Texas A&M... not that I liked getting beat by Lady Aggie/Laggie, but it was funny watching Baylor miffed at their fellow recent nat'l champ.

But... there you go. That's what's going to happen. No doubt.*

*But I'd love to be wrong and see another Sooner Final Four.

Boomer

11. ouflak

ouflak Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

Nice 27 point victory by the women to open their tournament!

12. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Now they play Stanford. Both teams wear red and white and I attended both schools - seems like a no-lose situation to me.

:p

13. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Get him, Badj!

14. badger

I ain't got nuthin and when I ain't got nuthin I quote Simpsons:

[When the Simpsons are in jail]
    Lisa: Thanks a lot, everybody. Now, I'll never get into an Ivy League school.
    Bart: [taunting] You're going to Stanford, you're going to Stanford ...
    Homer and Bart [taunting]: You're going to Stanford!
    Lisa: Take it back! Take it back!
    Homer: Stanford.
    Marge: This family has hit rock bottom.

I guess we also beat them in some random bowl a few years ago.
    [​IMG]
    Finally, could the Stanford coach please raise her hand and be recognized?
    [​IMG]

5:30 p.m. tonight on ESPN 2, beyonces. The winner here gets to go to the OKC regional, because we are damn well attended... and there will be tons more butts in seats if we win, so NCAA shenanigans suggests that if reffing is indeed biased and unfair, it will be biased and unfair in our favor :D

Booommmerrrrr

15. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

That's some heavy optimism, for sure. Playing Stanford in Palo Alto will Shirley give the Sooners a home court advantage, and the refs will be sympathetic to the visitors at Stanford. That much is expected. At least Stanford isn't as highly esteemed as they usually are. Hey, maybe we DO HAVE a chance!

16. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

C'mon wimmins!!!

17. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

Well, the ESPeNis2 channel here in PHX is not picking up the OU game. Instead we have non-OU playing another same.

18. birddog

19. birddog

20. birddog

10-6 us