1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QB update

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Collier11, Aug 19, 2013.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Wildlife trivia: This type of sh!t makes badger heads explode

2. Whet

Whet Well-Known Member

I have also heard TK will be the starting QB and BB will also get playing time.

3. SoonerNomad

SoonerNomad New Member

I have had the feeling that both would get significant playing time in the opener and that the ultimate decision on starter will be delayed until then. If Knight is still in the running that means to me that he has probably outplayed Bell thus far.

Also, and I am guessing this has already been discussed, but if Knight wins the job do the coaches still use the mostly effective but always disruptive Belldozer package in short yardage situations?

4. sooner_born_1960

sooner_born_1960 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

disruptive? how?

5. Whet

Whet Well-Known Member

Texas had that dual QB dealio going and look how it worked out for them.

6. badger

Belldozer + TK = Total domination

Case McCoy + David Ash = Herp derp

OUmillenium likes this.
  7. Bourbon St Sooner

Bourbon St Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If TK wins the job, why would you bring in Bell for the belldozer when you already have a qb that can run the read-option? I understand Bell's a big guy, but if it's the same predictable package that it has been the last couple of years, I don't see the point.

8. SoonerNomad

SoonerNomad New Member

I know I wasn't the only one that thought that the Belldozer package, which clearly improved OU's short yardage success, also disrupted the continuity of the offense, limited options when used too often and did affect the confidence of Landry Jones.

I am not saying it should not have been used occasionally, but it was disruptive in the amount that it was used. My personal opinion is that the starting quarterback needs to be able to run the offense in long and short yardage situations and that having too much predictability in a set of plays eventually backfires.

9. badger

Nah...
    Maybe... :(

10. sooner46

sooner46 New Member

I agree that the starting QB should run the short and long plays, If LJ would have been getting the job done Bell would have never seen the field. By using the package we won some games we might not have. Just my opinion.

8timechamps likes this.
  11. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Does anyone else feel the Belldozer became less effective the more it was used?

Plus, with either Knight or Bell, we have a QB that will have the defense guessing triple threat: Pass, running back, qb.

12. badger

:stunned: <<<< :D

I am probably mistaken, but it seemed to be due to the fact that there was never any successful play action when Blake came in. Everyone knew what was going to happen, so the box got stacked and it was just a matter of if our monster fullbacks got in some good blocks... which to their credit, they did very well.

13. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

wow, that would be a big ballsy move for stoops. Not saying TK doesn't deserve it but trying to remember if Stoops has picked a qb with NO game experience over one with game experience...and a lot of name..(not that that matters but it is a side of it). Interesting to see what happens.

14. thecrimsoncrusader

thecrimsoncrusader New Member

When the Belldozer first debuted, as soon as the ball was snapped to Blake Bell, opposing defenses would have a slight delay to see what he would do, which gave Bell plenty of time to hit the running lane just at the right time.

Further down the road, once they realized the Sooner coaching staff was effectively never going to have him pass out of the Belldozer formation, they stopped hesitating and started firing off the ball just as soon as the ball was snapped and exploiting OU's bad run-blocking.

This season, Oklahoma's opponents won't have the luxury of knowing with 100% certainty what OU's QB is going to do. When Landry was in, he was either going to throw or hand the ball off. When Bell was in, he was either going to run or hand the ball off. Now it's going to be is Bell (or Knight) going to run, pass or hand the ball off? So instead of it being a 10 versus 11 game in the opponents favor, it's going to be a 11 versus 11 game in Oklahoma's favor.

15. Al Gore

Al Gore New Member

I believe it will be BB. I also think we should have a quick poll and send the results to Bob. This will help his decision making process.

16. badger

Correct me if I'm wrong: Nate Hybl over Jason White to begin 2001. White was Heupel's backup in 1999 before redshirting the 2000 season.

In 2007, Sam Bradford won over Joey Halzle, who was ENA's backup in 2006.

17. sooner46

sooner46 New Member

Yes, Badger that one.

Over in the Johnny thread I stated “The look on Franchione face was priceless”. A game like is fun every once in a while is fun, but it does not help the team get better for next game.

The OSU game was heart attack time but the outcome was still priceless they thought they had the game won until the last minute. That kick in the stomach had to hurt.

18. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

Hybl played in 2000 though. I remember him throwing a flukish pick against Baylor in mop up time.

19. Yeah he did..pitched it right to the defense on a shovel pass.

20. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Well, with our inclination to a more "active" QB, we should be extremely happy that it's a great race Bell and Knight seem to be engaged in. We'll need them both.