1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Nick Capra as new OU baseball coach...

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by Soonerus, Jun 14, 2013.

1. nighttrain12

nighttrain12 Well-Known Member

Gene Stephenson, again?

http://newsok.com/a-sad-ending-for-wichita-states-gene-stephenson-era/article/3854751

2. hvhurricane

hvhurricane New Member

No chance in hell.

3. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I wish that it would be officially confirmed what went down. I know we had a discussion on here and elsewhere what happened, but the entire situation stank, even if it seemed to work out for OU in the short term under Gallo.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I recall us discussing then:

1- Sunny, as interim head coach when Larry got ousted, raised current players' scholarship percentages (it's an equivalency sport, so nobody has a full ride).

2- Gene, not being aware of what happened, looked at the current scholarship numbers (the post-raise ones, not the pre-raise ones) and saw that there was not a lot of scholarship money available for new players, so he could either anger current players or not be able to bring in the new players he needs.

3- Sunny returns scholarship numbers to previous levels after getting the job on a non-interim basis.

Again, this was all Internet rumor and speculation, but would explain why "I am Wichita State" would only take his "dream job" for three hours before becoming Wichita State again

4. TweenerTues

TweenerTues New Member

Has anyone heard anything? Joe C has this one under lock and key.

5. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

He has pretty much every hire on lock and key and IMO, that's a good thing. I would guess we'd hear something by the end of this week.

6. TweenerTues

TweenerTues New Member

I agree looking back, Stoops was a total surprise, as was Capel. I would hope for sake of recruiting we can announce a HC by Friday. Hope Giese remains on staff. I like his energy and knowledge.

7. BoomerJack

BoomerJack New Member

IMO, only two ways this happens: 1. if he is named HC and, 2. if Aric Thomas is hired with stipulation that he retain Giese. If the hire is from outside, he will want to name his own staff from top to bottom.

Somebody noted elsewhere on this board that Giese doesn't have an undergraduate degree and his bio on the soonersports baseball page doesn't say anything about him having a degree. I can't see him being hired as HC without one and I'm kinda surprised he was even hired as an assistant. He does have an impressive coaching background though. One certainly can't take that away from him.

8. TumbleweedDoom

TumbleweedDoom New Member

I don't think it's a given that Giese is gone if someone from the outside is hired. Look at Wichita State -- they hired a new coach with the understanding the old pitching coach -- Brent Kemnitz -- was going to stay on staff. And the fact Giese evidently turned down an opportunity to follow SG shows loyalty and also makes one wonder if a deal to stay has been made with the administration.

Anyway, I'm not saying he's staying either. I'm just saying it's 50/50 either way and most certainly not a given he's staying or going regardless of who's hired. I do hope Giese stays -- I think he's the best pitching coach OU has had since Vern Ruhle.

9. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

I think someone stated, or I read it somewhere, that Giese is in process of completing his degree now. Not sure if at OU but I would assume so since he's coaching there. I think it was stated he has a year or so to go.

10. BoomerJack

BoomerJack New Member

Tumbleweed: "Giese evidently turned down opportunity to follow SG". Where did this come from ?????

And why would he want to? If memory serves, he wasn't hired as pitching coach until AFTER the 2011 Red/White series. This was after predecessor (Mike Bell I believe) left for Fla. State almost SIX MONTHS before after the NCAA's. Did have to be convinced/sold on coming to Norman????

And looking at his bio, it appears that he and his family have spent the last 15-20 years in Texas & Oklahoma. Does Golloway/Auburn want to spend the $$$ to get him to Alabama?

I don't think he's gonna want to leave the territory.

11. hvhurricane

hvhurricane New Member

He came in when Tim Tadlock left for TT in the fall. I think he is a good coach, but it is so hard to tell with the new bats. Obviously, he did a great job with JG from last year to this year. I would have to say that DO didn't have a great year, and there were a number of pitchers with talent in our bullpen this year who just didn't get it done. It will be interesting, but I would doubt that Joe C. has given him a job and told the new coach he has to keep him on his staff. Wichita St. did that, but I believe BK had two years left on his contract, so they didn't want to be paying Gene and BK off all at once.

12. wrestlerdad

wrestlerdad New Member

They renegotiated Brent's contract after they fired Gene