1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on Marcus Dupree ?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by boomermagic, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Mike Stoops

Mike Stoops New Member

No ill will towards Marcus but that 30 for 30 film was a hatchet piece on OU/Switzer. Then, Buzz Bissenger wrote that dumbass article on Daily Beast. I'm kinda ready for people to forget about it again.

2. boomermagic

boomermagic New Member

REMOVED BECAUSE OF ONE JERK !!!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  3. dwarthog

dwarthog Well-Known Member

Well said.

Ultimately, he is the one who was impacted the most by his decisions.

Great thing for OU fans, was getting to see him do his stuff, even it only for a short time.

He was a very special athlete.

4. NorCal Sooner

NorCal Sooner New Member

Marcus seems like a pretty laid back guy. Before I watched the 30 for 30 I thought he might be bitter, or an alcoholic, but he seems to have come through things pretty well. He really was a very young 18 year old kid when he was at OU. Some kids do make mistakes. I liked him much more after the 30 for 30 came out, and I accept him as part of the OU family. More power to him.....

5. NorCal Sooner

NorCal Sooner New Member

yes!

6. WichitaSooner

WichitaSooner New Member

Did you watch the same film I did???? lol. That film QUITE CLEARLY showed the situation the OU coaches were in because of Marcus's talent AND even more clearly showed who the true villians were in the life of Marcus... and it wasn't anyone connected with OU.

That film made it clear that Marcus made mistakes, listened to the wrong people, and was taken advantage of... by the reverend, NOT OU or Switzer.

The film just made me sad to think about what could of been... for Marcus and OU. But, in my opinion, OU came off looking just fine in the film.

7. boomermagic

boomermagic New Member

I thought they were a little harsh on Barry and our coaching staff and i enjoyed the show but tell me ? Was there ANY blame put on Marcus ? No, It was everyone elses fault.. That's just wrong..

8. Mike Stoops

Mike Stoops New Member

It brought out the worst in OU jealousy/hatred. After it came out there were about a dozen copy cat articles bashing Switzer including the Bissenger piece I mentioned. There's so much jealousy regarding the success Switzer had and the teams we ran roughshod over in the 70's and 80's that a film like that is just redmeat to people who hate OU.

9. boomermagic

boomermagic New Member

BINGO !!!

10. soonersam

soonersam Well-Known Member

Stoops is going to need a Butler in the new mansion... perfect

11. boomermagic

boomermagic New Member

Your gonna get blasted for that one.. :eek: :D

12. Partial Qualifier

Partial Qualifier SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He gave us thrilling memories. He was a vulnerable kid with ungodly talent -- so much talent the coaches didn't know how to handle his situation. They admittedly mishandled Marcus. When coaches look back and say "yeah, we mishandled that whole situation" I cut the 17 year old kid slack for supposedly not being a practice maniac.

He played with all his heart. Got a serious concussion and even though he could barely walk and could not speak after that game, the coaches still allowed a bunch of ignorant media dildos to stick TV cameras in his face and barrage him questions after the game.

To make matters worse, He got seriously bad advice from his only father figure.

So hell yeah Marcus should be welcomed as much or more than any other former player. And cash in all you can, Marcus! Cash the **** in all you can.

And that facebook convo posted above is facepalm-worthy

yermom likes this.
  13. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Million dollar talent,FIVE cent head.

Flagstaffsooner likes this.
  14. WichitaSooner

WichitaSooner New Member

So, the film was bad because it brought out the worst in people that already hated Switzer and OU?!?!?! You are seriously bringing that argument? LOL

That may be people using something good to fuel their bad agenda, but it doesn't reflect on the original piece. And it's absolutely idiotic to try and say it does.

Now you may be one of those insane fan that only wants to hear and believe great things about OU.... and anything else is bad or false... That's what your statements lead me to believe of you.

But, Switzer did some bad things... so did Marcus... so did a lot of Sooners... But, to admit that, forgive them, and still love them and your school makes you a better fan than the nazi-istic approach you seem to be going for now.

But hey, to each his own.

15. Mike Stoops

Mike Stoops New Member

Jeez. Get a grip dude.

16. AlboSooner

AlboSooner New Member

I agree. I don't feel like Bomar wronged me personally, but I don't have any negative wishes towards him, and he's welcome to come to the games and all that.

17. WichitaSooner

WichitaSooner New Member

lol... I guess that's what I would say if I were you right now too...

18. boomermagic

boomermagic New Member

And your a damn jerk !

19. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I am not sure the Bomar and Dupree situations are similar enough that they can be compared. Bomar considers himself a BearKat now, whereas Marcus still considers himself a Sooner. That's good enough for me to not really care where Rhett goes from here on out... but Marcus, I am glad that he is reconnecting with the state because I'm sure autograph sessions (not to mention hugs from old ladies and pictures with kids) is more fun than truck driving. Then again, I've never driven a truck. :)

20. BajaOklahoma

BajaOklahoma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I sat there in the stands and watched the whole mess unfold.
    And I only believe half of what I read as people tend to remember things in a light that is favorable to them.

He left. I don't consider him a Sooner based on what he did to his teammates and the fans.
    Aikman lost his right to be a Sooner based on things I've heard him say - not what others have told me.