1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeff Capel!!!!! Jeff ****ing Capel, Mutha****as!!!!

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by PrideTrombone, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoonerShark

SoonerShark New Member

Re: Jeff Capel? Jeff ****ing Capel??????

It would probably have been broken next year if Coach K had been hired and brought in his recruiting class.

2. sas

sas New Member

I need some addresses so that I can personally go crap on the lawn of people who are already whining before he's cashed his first paycheck.

3. Rock Hard Corn Frog

Rock Hard Corn Frog New Member

The fact is that the job at this point is not attractive enough to get a Calipari, Wright, Few,etc. I certainly don't think this can be called a home run hire at least at this point, though in fairness Bob Stoops wasn't a home run the day he was hired too. I actually wanted Coach Fran myself :eek:

I think those that thought when Sampson left that it would be simple to find a coach as successful might finally realize it isn't so easy.

That said, I remember Dukie V going on about what a great young coach Capel was a couple years ago. I would have been OK with Turgeon but I can't say I would have been excited with him. Turgeon is more proven but I think Capel could be a better recruiter. I don't see it as the same as Quin Snyder who went straight from being a Duke assistant to being head coach at MU. Capel proved he could win as a head coach.

At this point I would say I'm not thrilled with the hire but I would say I'm satisfied and I'm ready to look forward to action on the court. (That is after we win NC #8 on the gridiron).

4. SoonerShark

SoonerShark New Member

And except for 2 seasons out of 12, Capel and my cat have done almost as well in the NCAAs as Kelvin. Capel has not had the backing or the budget he will have here. Hopefully, he will do well here and the players recruited for this years class will want to stay for more than two years.

5. GottaHavePride

GottaHavePride Brewmaster

Ooooh, so he averaged one point per game less than Kelvin's team this past year. He did it with the talent he had at Virginia Freaking Commonwealth. Let's see what he can do with the players here, hmmmm?

And all the names being tossed around and the "home run hire" nonsense was just crap being spewed forth by the media. Joe C. never came out with a list of likely candidates - everyone just assumed he'd be thinking the same names we were.

6. OklahomaTuba

OklahomaTuba SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yes, everyone assumed that OU could land a big name coach.

7. ouflak

ouflak Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

By the media? Or by posters on message boards across the internet? I read articles where I could find them (there wasn't much nationally) and saw little printed that resembled the near delusional stuff I've seen posted on message boards about OU's basketball program and its ability to attract big names. Heck this program has had trouble attracting its own fans. I won't argue that some of the homer media certainly got carried away at times as well, but outside of that 'elite' group, I think the general sports media cared alot more about Sampson's potential at Indiana than they would ever care about who would be coaching at OU.

8. Harry Beanbag

Harry Beanbag SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think I'm walking the same path as you on this one.

Partial Qualifier likes this.
  9. GottaHavePride

GottaHavePride Brewmaster

Yeah, local media. The "home run hire" business was all you heard on the Sports Animal for a week.

10. NickZeppelin

NickZeppelin New Member

Billy Donovan had a name as an assistant at Providence though. And he was a player on a Final 4 team. This guy has been coaching about 7 or 8 years if that and he's not been at a major school as an assistant or as a head coach.

This could end up as a great hire. But I think it has as much chance of being a bad hire to. He may be in over his head.

11. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

At first I thought JC had hired Dave Capel and was thinking the press conferences and coach's show would be a hoot. :D

I like the hire but only time will tell. I'm not a big fan of hiring retreads like Calipari...those type hires usually pay off short term dividends but suck in the long term for the hiring school.

My only concern is if the new coach does well will he bolt for Duke or the ACC when the first opportunity arises.

12. sas

sas New Member

dude.......you're in over your head but you keep posting.

Harry Beanbag likes this.
  13. Grimey

Grimey New Member

I'm sure tht the moron that started this thread is already reserving FireJeffCapel.com

KC//CRIMSON likes this.
  14. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Fire Josh Chappeau!

KC//CRIMSON likes this.
  15. Harry Beanbag

Harry Beanbag SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Capel was a player on a Final 4 team.

16. Stanley1

Stanley1 New Member

Don't listen to Nick, he knows nothing.

KC//CRIMSON likes this.
  17. TheHumanAlphabet

All kidding aside...

It is not Joe C.'s way of hiring "the name". He gets young eager people who are ready for prime time...Stoops, "Hawt", the gymanstics coach, etc. I think his hires have been spot on.

Many people wanted a "name", well, sorry to say OU is not a "name" program and besides, we are probably not going to pay "name" salary here with the exception of Football. Win a couple of Bball NCs then we are probably a "name" program, but until then, we are a very good program that is a perrennial top 40 program goingto the NCAAs.

From what I have read of Capel, he sounds like a good motivator, Come on VCU? where the hell is that? and he took them to the NCAAs and the NIT. I wonder what his playing style is like...

Oh and FIRE JOSH CHAPPEAU!!! ;)

18. sas

sas New Member

Please be more creative when slighting Nick in the future.

19. NickZeppelin

NickZeppelin New Member

Okay has he coached on a Final 4 team?

He has only been a coach since 2000 and has only been at ODU and VCU. Maybe he ends up being the greatest coach ever but right now he could be a guy that ends up being in over his head.

I know that you guys that want to say he's a great hire bring up well Bob Stoops was never a head coach. But he was at a major program. Or you bring up Donovan he was at major programs before going to Florida. This is a big risk as I see it right now. And as I see it right now I'm not gonna say this is a great hire. Just because Joe C hires a guy doesn't make him great.

20. TheHumanAlphabet

Nick, what about hawt? She was at Norman H.S.?

RacerX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.