1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good thing Shaq doesnt get a vote cus he doesnt like OKC

Discussion in 'General Sports Forum' started by Collier11, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Big Red Ron

Big Red Ron SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yeah, that's exactly what we're saying.:rolleyes:

2. bri

bri America's Sweetheart

I must have missed the part where it was pointed out we were bashing only the NBA players who won't be playing for the OKC team. :D

3. Big Red Ron

Big Red Ron SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We bash most players that don't play at OU, no?

;)

4. BigRedJed

BigRedJed Mmm... ...ribs.

5. Taxman71

Taxman71 New Member

The players that play for OKC are in town long enough to know the town/people beyond Nite Trips and CityWalk.

6. BigRedJed

Once they eat at Mickey Mantle's, it's all good.

7. bri

bri America's Sweetheart

Yeah, but God forbid any of them encounter Russell. It's game over, man after that.

8. BigRedJed

9. GrapevineSooner

GrapevineSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

:rolleyes:

I doubt Hill was referring to the weather. Rather, I think he's referring to the callous way that Sonics fans are about to lose their team.

10. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Absolutely not. Fellow athletes at fellow universities are fellow scholars, especially the likes of those in fellow Big 12 institutions of higher learning. Vince Young is a fellow scholarly mind.
    [​IMG]

Big Red Ron and soonerloyal like this.
  11. snp

snp New Member

Uh, Houston is about 20 times cooler than OKC. It's not even close.

12. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Houston is a sh*t hole, its not even close!

13. BigRedJed

Man, I'm willing to take off my OKC glasses for a few minutes and honestly give it up to cities that are better than OKC in various areas (scenery, nightlife, stuff to do, etc.). Reference my NBA-related posts on Seattle, or the many times on this board that I have pimped cities like Portland, Boston, or even Kansas City and Austin, each of which have elements that I like better than OKC.

But, being well acquainted with Houston, saying it's "20 times cooler" than OKC is pretty ridiculous. Houston is a nice regional changeup from Dallas, if you are forced to go to big D a little too often. It has all of the advantages of a giant city, as far as great shopping, some fantastic dining, etc. But it's pretty low as far as "cool factor" goes. And the ridiculous traffic, among other things, cancel out many of the positives in that town.

It's just not a great city, sorry.

14. snp

snp New Member

Sorry, I just happen to think Houston is very underrated. I like OKC and am really happy that they're finally getting a professional team. But I'm also a diehard Astros, Rockets, and Texans fan and enjoy UH so I'll probably have a better time than most.

20 times was an exaggeration, btw.

15. bri

bri America's Sweetheart

:les: THERE ARE NO EXAGGERATIONS ALLOWED ON THE INTERNET!!!

Heh.

16. SoonerKnight

SoonerKnight Well-Known Member

I was stationed in Seattle for a breif period of time and have to say it is one cool city. The streets are easy to get around on but the hills are a killer if you are 6'4" and drive a compact standard and have to sit at a red light this sucks let me tell ya. As far as the water comment from Shaq I hope he was refering to the ocean and Pugent Sound. There are a lot of little islands that people with big money live on with great views. Downtown OKC is growing and is better than it was but hopefully the city and state will do two things. Change some of the liquor laws in the state and the other that the city will also invest in more businesses in downtown OKC.

I currently live in Denver and while I think Denver is BLAH they do have jobs that pay a decent wage. Cost of living is outrageous compared to OKC. OKC you can buy and older house for a reasonable amount of money but the cost of fuel,food, car insurance and car payments are no different than anywhere else. A city that has a professional sports team should be able to attract good businesses with good wages this will benefit everyone in the metro of OKC. As far as a college town obviosly since we have no professional team (DUH!). OKC could support a professional team and our college teams. OU has a stadium that is bigger than Invesco field!!!! So Shaq needs to remember you build it they will come. Besides Those NBA players don't realize how cheap land is in Oklahoma man you could have one heck of a spread even if it is flat lands.

Okay Rant over!

17. Dio

Dio SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So, if Brick-Fu's career lasts long enough for him to play here again, are we going to bust out the torches and pitchforks for him, or not? Cause I already have my "SHAQ SUQS" sign made...

18. Bourbon St Sooner

Bourbon St Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think you're overlooking the greatness of being able to go to church to get your soul cleansed and then walking next door to the strip club.

19. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Ok, let's all vent a little about Shaq :D

Shaq has a failed rap career, a failed acting career and recently a failed marriage. As you can see, Shaq fails at far more than free throws and he has no team loyalty. When Orlando took him with the top pick, he only stayed until offered more money in LA. When LA gave him the chance at championship runs and more rings, he bolted on his teammates for the easier East Conference Miami Heat. When Miami started to suck, he bolted once again for a better team with a better chance of giving him another ring. Soon enough, he will likely bolt for another team for another odd reason, whether it be money, teammate issues or chances to win. Thus, he'll end up in OKC or a like-city soon enough, when no larger market team wants to put up with him anymore.

Now, onto Oklahoma City. They have done a good job of revitalizing a historic area of the city with the riverwalk, but they still have a long way to go. However, I think a lot of people don't realize that not all professional athletes want to have a big city feel every day with all the problems it presents. Traffic, crime and overcrowded areas are all problems in larger cities. This is why some players choose to stay in smaller markets - this is why colleges like Washington State can recruit. Most athletes have big houses in the burbs. Now, if that option was available within a short drive of the practice areas and the arena, that would be a bonus!

20. GrapevineSooner

GrapevineSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Or the greatness of taking a sports arena where the local NBA team won two titles, moves onto a bigger arena so that a Megachurch can buy the building and turn it into a REALLY BIG Megachurch.

Show me where in OKC that's possible. :D