1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gerald McCoy

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by okienole3, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

His mother wasn't supposed to smile after the autograph was signed?

;)

Mjcpr likes this.
  2. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

oh, i just figured that was from WHERE he got the autograph

3. Harry Beanbag

Harry Beanbag SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He's not announcing Saturday.

4. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

yeah I realized that after I posted it, but I didn't feel like editing...there were more important threads to chase down ;)

5. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

why do you hate nickzepp?

6. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Do I need a reason? ;)

7. jkm, I didn't think it was a violation to get a kid's autograph after a game as long as nothing is said about where he is going and why..not like I was all over him to come to OU for signing my ball...also, there weren't any OU officials courting him out and I thought it was perfectly okay for a kid to sign an autograph if they wanted.......maybe there's something I'm missing here.........I just happen to notice his mother had a huge grin on her face as I walked away....

8. Big Red Ron

Big Red Ron SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Gerald, we'll win with you or we'll win without you. Hope you come aboard.

9. Big Red Ron

Big Red Ron SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yeah, it's almost like trash talking a "special olympian."

10. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

if you attend OU games, you are considered a "booster". boosters are not allowed access to potential recruits no matter how innocent it is. when you asked him for his autograph, that was considered a "contact" and has to be reported to the NCAA.

11. So if I was to approach him for an autograph at, say, after a Southeast game this year, that would be okay? Why is the NCAA so anal on things like this and why doesn't OU corral these guys after games so nobody can come in contact with them? I would have never noticed him if it weren't for the throng of people around him....you would think Stoops would contain them if there were possible rules violations.....:confused:

12. jk the sooner fan

jk the sooner fan loved by all

so in the spring game, after AD signed, and he was in the stands, not yet enrolled, and signing autographs for the mob around him.......

i got Bomar's, Peterson, Holmes, and Patterson's auto on the sidelines while at the AA game in San Antonio......i had on an OU golf shirt and hat

i have a hard time believing that all 84,000 ticket holders on any given saturday are considered boosters? surely the definition is a little tighter than that.......

13. My point exactly. Why would the coaches leave themselves and our program exposed to possible NCCA violations over a simple autograph. I thought boosters were only those people who actually donate money to the program in the hopes of being labeled a "booster"????

14. jk the sooner fan

i googled booster and college athletics.......one of the first links i got was from Western New Mexico's website

it says:

from another school:

15. Maybe it is the last part of the second quote, "involved in promoting the institution's athletics' program", that JKM is referring to? It just seems crazy that the NCAA would expect the people of Oklahoma not to come up to a hometown recruit like McCoy after an OU game and not say something like, "Hey man, hope you come to OU, we could really use you." If so, I would hate to see the paperwork the NCAA would have to sift through due to people being reported for NCAA rules violations over making a "contact" with a player.....Now if we were talking about EK Gaylord, Jr. taking McCoy aside and having a personal conversation with him about coming to OU, I can see where that would fall into violation status....I have a hard time believing McCoy is going to be suaded be a small town guy like me to go to OU....

16. jk the sooner fan

you'll have to convince me that simply buying a ticket to a game and nothing else is considered "a booster"

fan yes, booster no

17. Anyway, back tot he whole point of this thread, Gerald McCoy. I think he will be coming to OU regardless. I don't know if this is just speculation, but I have been told by people that McCoy has been talking with Tommie Harris about his decision??? Can anybody back that up? I think it may just be wishful thinking becasue he wears #97???

18. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

this is the official language for a booster...

the problem is that the NCAA is the one that determines if you are a booster. there have been cases where people who buy season tickets are boosters, students at the university are boosters, even the guy that ran the kentucky wildcat rivals site who had never given the athletic department a dime was considered a booster.

there are no limits to what the NCAA will consider a booster. last year, a georgia message board was going to put together some money to bring a boise state player's dad in from iraq. the NCAA said that would put boise state on probation even though these were georgia fans.

19. southern sooner

southern sooner New Member

This is the type of stuff that prompted The Boz to wear his shirt during the Orange Bowl....
    National
    Communist

20. southern sooner

southern sooner New Member

Sorry - think it was National Communist Against Athelets