1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FW Regional, Day2

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by Sooner95, Jun 4, 2011.

1. GoTheDistance

GoTheDistance New Member

I hope that the Sonny sympathizers on this board had an opportunity to tune in during Mavs commercials tonight to watch Mark Guest throw a complete game for an ORU win over DBU in the first half of the double dip championship at TCU. ORU won 7-2 and will face DBU again tomorrow to see who moves on to Super Regionals. For those who might not know, Mark Guest USED to be a Sooner pitcher who tired of the SG circus.

2. TumbleweedDoom

TumbleweedDoom New Member

Maybe Guest's 6-plus ERA at OU had something to do with him leaving, too.

3. bcolston15

bcolston15 New Member

Maybe it's just the snob in me, but I find it difficult to take people seriously who can't even spell correctly the name of the person they are bashing.

On a related note, I also struggle to take seriously those who mention the departure of Mark Guest in a context that suggests he chose to leave the team on his own.

4. IndySooner

IndySooner New Member

This. And This.

5. TumbleweedDoom

TumbleweedDoom New Member

He had the worst ERA on the team that year for any regularly-used pitcher. I'm sure they were throwing roadblocks up on Imhoff to keep him from leaving on Highway 9.

6. fwsooner22

fwsooner22 New Member

Not sure I need your criticism. I was sitting right behind our dugout in our second game and watched Reine go after a short fly ball in right. He couldn't get to it but was gassed in the effort. You could hear the groans in the dugout and he didn't reappear in the next inning. Unless you were sitting closer than I was (which would have been in the dugout) you are simply speaking in ignorance. It was a conversation topic all around where we were sitting. It was hot and he is 5'10, 225 lbs. He is not the reason we lost but it appeared to be a symptom of the many problems this team revealed in their brief 18 innings in Fort Worth.

7. fwsooner22

fwsooner22 New Member

Yup. It's a lot like the people on here (who weren't at the game/s) who take shots at others (who were at the game/s) for making comments they don't like.

8. IndySooner

IndySooner New Member

That wasn't Sunny's fault, though. Cody didn't put the necessary work in to prepare for this season. He was one of the guys who relied on last year and read the press clippings. If he dropped the 30 pounds or so that he gained in the offseason, he'd be much better off.

9. IndySooner

IndySooner New Member

Not sure how many games you made it to, but a lot of us were at MANY games this year. Those of us who were weren't surprised by ANYTHING that happened this weekend. It was a microcosm of the season and the issues that were present this weekend were there all year.

10. fwsooner22

fwsooner22 New Member

Indy.....I wasn't referring to your comments. What you posted was dead on. I had many people with me this weekend that were there to witness OU baseball. It was nothing short of sad.

Earlier in this thread I was criticized for pointing out that our kids can't even make a run at a flyball "without being gassed." It happened I saw it and it was sad. I wish I hadn't been so close to the play. The inability of a catcher to throw to second on a bunt, your infielder being ready to play on every pitch, not swinging on 3-1 count leading off an inning down 6 runs, do I need to go on. Naaaah I'll just get over myself.

11. IndySooner

IndySooner New Member

Yesterday, the team had given up. That catcher that "couldn't throw to second" was one of the few guys on the team with fire the entire year. As was the shortstop who made an error. It was a sad ending to a VERY sad year for OU baseball and its fans. That's for sure.

12. Sooner95

Sooner95 Well-Known Member

Not sure what's worse (or funnier?) The fact we are out 0-2 or the fact that one of the following 4 teasm will be in the CWS.

Cal
    Baylor
    Oral Roberts
    Dallas Babtist

man...

13. IndySooner

IndySooner New Member

This is EXACTLY why I thought we had the best draw of anyone. I knew that Rice and TCU were both VERY overrated. Unfortunately, so were we......

14. bcolston15

bcolston15 New Member

What if the ball in the 9th had found a glove? That's what I keep asking...

15. IndySooner

IndySooner New Member

It would have been 100% different, in my opinion. That could have been the play that spring-boarded this team through the regional. Instead it was the play that killed the run.

16. northspeter

northspeter New Member

game of inches and fragile psyche's.....

17. rysooner

rysooner New Member

See ya.....

18. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

well dont act like a spoiled brat and you wont get my criticism...if youa re disappointed fine, if you are pissed fine, if you are gonna threaten to not go to anymore games because this team made the ncaa tourney again and then underacheived...get over yourself

19. hvhurricane

hvhurricane New Member

I think the problem FW had was they quit. SG tried to spin it a number of different ways after the game saying it was frustration, but they quit. If you hadn't really seen what was happening with the team later in the year then you would probably be shocked at the performance in FW. I am not saying I agree with him never spending another dime on OU baseball, but I can certainly understand his frustration over the lack of effort.

20. bcolston15

bcolston15 New Member

I think they quit mentally, not physically.