1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concerning the Gumby meltdown

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Piware, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangekaje

orangekaje New Member

Re: Gundy rips Jenni Carlson

KOCO Survey Results:

Do you think OSU coach Mike Gundy reacted appropriately to Jenni Carlson's column about Bobby Reid?

Choice-Votes--- Percentage

Yes --- 1354 --- 89%
    No ---- 166 ---- 11%

2. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You are dead wrong on this issue. The story is coming from inside the OSU program. I heard the same things on both WWLS and KREF earlier in the week.

Gundy's just using the story to distract attention away from the horrendous job his staff has done this year and the fact that somebody inside the OSU program is trashing Reid.

And why is it a non-story that OSU's biggest recruit in years is riding the pines when his replacement looked like crap v. troy St?

3. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

Well there's a shock.

4. Stitch Face

Stitch Face New Member

I think it's sad we now live in a society where an employee of a public university can go bat-**** ****-ing crazy (or at least pretend to) in front of TV cameras after a sporting event and local yokels will rally around him saying 'that's cool...way to stick up fer yer team!'

5. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

fixed

6. cvsooner

cvsooner Well-Known Member

"Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?"

I wonder if he realizes the irony in those questions?

Several things come to mind. One, you play big time college football, people will write and say things about you (heck, we do it on this board) that are not going to be positive, all the time.

Two, big deal.

Three, good thing OSU won the game, and note nobody in the media bothered to call him on it.

Four, who were the yayhoos who were applauding at the end?

Five, your mother brought it to the coach's attention? What does that say about the point of the story, in the first place?

Much ado about nothing, Gundy.

7. kruss1971

kruss1971 New Member

No...I thought all press conferences went like that.

Seriously, this thread is getting silly. Like I said, it's not how I would have handled the issue, I believe there are better ways to go about it, and I believe it would be out of character for Stoops to respond in the same way. However, if I had any emotional stock in the issue, I would most likely be siding with Gundy because I can honestly say that my initial tendency, as a Sooner, would be to side with Stoops if the exact script was played but the actors were Sooners. I'm just being honest.

Quick question: What avenue, other than a press conference or through the very media attending the press conference, does a sports figure have at their disposal to tell their side of the story?

Gundy may have very well been exposed and been covering his butt. I don't know because I clearly don't spend my time following Cowboy football. However, I'm all for the media getting called to the mat, and based on the article and press conference alone, that looks to be what happened.

Soonerus likes this.
  8. aurorasooner

aurorasooner Well-Known Member

Really.
    You look at these 2 post games from the 2 coaches and quite honestly it makes Gundy look like the child, IMHO.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  9. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Man, who would have thought the Pokes had 1354 fans let alone 1354 fans who could answer an internet survey.

It's going to be hilarious when the source is identified as a coach, player or a combination of both.

Like I said, Carlson isn't that good of an investigative reporter but the story has been out there for days on other media sources. Carlson is a day late and a dollar short in her reporting like she always is.

10. jdsooner

jdsooner New Member

You've got to have a lot of respect for a guy who verbally attacks a woman in a public meeting. That sure took a lot of guts!;)

11. Ash

Ash New Member

An interview. And don't think a reporter, especially from another media source wouldn't have jumped at the opportunity to have a one-on-one interview where Gundy goes after Carlson and addresses his QB controversy.

12. cvsooner

cvsooner Well-Known Member

Particularly in a press conference where you make a speech and then storm out without taking any questions. Mikey...you've got some 'splainin' to do...

13. daMentor

daMentor New Member

She writes for the Oklahoman.. What do you expect? Here's some news the Oklahoman is the worst paper in America! She could have been much more tactful in downing him. Saying stuff like he's being fed by his mother in public?? WTF is that??

As far as Gundy's reaction, I don't disagree with what he was saying, but he also could have been much more tactful in his delivery.

Let's ask ourselves WWBD? What would Bob do? He wouldn't have even addressed it. Why? Because he would think such an idiotic article doesn't even deserve a read or response. He has a hard enough time just responding to their stupid questions in press conferences.

14. Sooner1979

Sooner1979 New Member

When I read her article, it reminded me why I do not read her articles, and just as I do not read threads like this it reminds why I do not read threads like this. And for some reason I couldnt remember why I use to respond when I gave up responding to threads like this...

I am thoroughly confused now.......

15. TopDawg

TopDawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Let me sum this all up with a few things we should all be able to agree on:

Carlson is a sub-par sports writer.
    Gundy is a sub-par coach.

It's good for a coach to stick up for his players.
    It's bad for a coach to act like a whiny baby.

OSU sucks.

Dio, sooneron and BajaOklahoma like this.
  16. SleestakSooner

SleestakSooner New Member

The sad part of all this is the publicity it is giving JC and that rag she writes for.

17. kruss1971

kruss1971 New Member

I agree completely with your first statement. I've never stated that he acted professionally. However, I'm not really sure what "professional" means when we're talking about a job in which most people can be found stomping, kicking, screaming, yelling, and throwing things at the primary public-facing place of their profession. Acting professionally doesn't mean you can never show indignation at something you believe in.

It's easy to say you would be sick if Stoops did the same, but it's another to actually act in reality what we believe hypothetically. I'll just have to believe that you would and say that your response would be warranted.

As for the foxhole reference, it's simply a use of language. Anyone who believes that surviving a press conference, in any way, is the same as surviving a foxhole is a tool. On the other hand, anyone who can understand the use of a metaphor to caricature dealing with the media on a daily basis gets the reference whether they served in the military or not. I'll ask my brother who recently returned from Afghanistan and get back to you on whether or not he feels the need to shoe-whip anyone over the metaphor.

18. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

i don't know how to do the fancy blue box,

from orange power...

"Now we are ready for war.

You called down the thunder Jenni, now you got it.

Don't poke the bear in the cage.

The rest of you bastards in the Big 12 better pack a lunch, Gundy and company are coming and are ****ed.

GO POKES!!!"

19. kruss1971

kruss1971 New Member

That was the "and the very media" part.

20. sas

sas New Member

yeah.......get back to us on what aggys think and what your brother thinks.

Because that's the tipping point for me........

soonerhubs and kruss1971 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.