1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concerning the Gumby meltdown

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Piware, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soonerus

Soonerus SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Re: Gundy rips Jenni Carlson

Ok we are all now merged, Gundy was right for what he did...

2. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

Gundy says repeatedly that Reid "did everything right".

Then why did he bench him? :confused:

I wonder how much of that article came from the coaching staff and fellow teammates?

Ash likes this.
  3. FirstandGoal

FirstandGoal New Member

I don't have a problem with Gundy defending his kids. I don't have a problem with him calling out a poor journalist on an article she wrote that may or may not be accurate. However, there is a time and place for things, and IMO this was not the time for him to lose it and come completely unhinged. I imagine it would have been nice for Aggie fans to get to see their coach celebrate his win and be able to have a press conference talking about positive, rather than negative things. I also have a huge problem with Gundy wishing something bad to happen to a child just because they happen to be the child of someone he disrespects. Like another poster above me, he [Gundy] lost any inkling of sympathy by that comment.

4. CtheB

CtheB New Member

I don't know if it was the right time, place or tone, but I do know that I agree with a lot of what Gundy said. Got some spek points from me today.

Rhino likes this.
  5. sas

sas New Member

It's kind of ironic to display a paper, refer to an article and state that "this is the reason" you don't read the paper.

soonerhubs likes this.
  6. Mixer!

Mixer! Well-Known Member

Re: I totally respect Gundy for his post game press conference...

I don't believe Coach Stoops would respond in the manner that Gundy did.

Also keep in mind that the media just spent the past week ripping Gundy for showing a lack of emotion in the Troy game, so you could just as easily chalk it up to predictable over-reaction in the other direction. :pop:

7. Ash

Ash New Member

A typically aggy move.

8. soonerhubs

soonerhubs SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This is why I don't read your posts! ;)

Hamhock likes this.
  9. kruss1971

kruss1971 New Member

This is where our role as observers strikes me as funny. We may say, correctly, that a response like this from Stoops (or your favorite coach) would be out of character; however, we would be much more likely to see it as righteous indignation as opposed to a tantrum if it were not Gundy. I'm with Rhino on the fact that many responders are simply unable to take off the crimson blinders.

I can't say that this has made me respect him more because I've never NOT respected him for the sole reason of wearing orange on Saturdays. Would I have handled it differently? Probably. Was it a little over the edge for my taste? Yeah. But, then again, I'm not a D1A coach. He probably knows better about what his reaction will do for his team and his job. This may be just what his locker room needed to be more successful and gel as a team. If so, I say kudos to Gundy.

Soonerus likes this.
  10. Soonerus

In a foxhole you act different than normal...

11. sas

sas New Member

He was at a press conference.

Not in a foxhole.

12. kruss1971

kruss1971 New Member

I'm pretty sure it was a metaphor.

Soonerus likes this.
  13. soonerhubs

soonerhubs SoonerFans.com Elite Member

No offense to Gumby, but the last time I heard a melt down like that was from a man named Dennis Green. Look what that got him, eh?

14. Ash

Ash New Member

Gundy reminded me of the "Leave britney alone!" guy.

sas likes this.
  15. Soonerus

OK, Gundy is not my charge, you know my thoughts I'm done with him....

16. hink4769

hink4769 New Member

its one thing to defend your players, its another to embarass yourself and your program which is what he ended up doing. he should have taken a bill parcells/bob knight type approach and acted arrogant and condescending towards her and demean her knowledge of the game and the situation rather than act like a crybaby. leave it to the pokes to win a game and still come out looking bad.

17. sas

sas New Member

Leave Reid ALONE.........He's HUMAN

So what if his mom feeds him chicken? HE'S GOT FEELINGS!!

Ash likes this.
  18. Sooner Born Sooner Bred

Sooner Born Sooner Bred SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This is not the column I wanted. This is not the column I planned. . .today.

19. SoonerDood

SoonerDood New Member

LEAVE AGGIES ALONE!!!

20. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

I read that column early this morning.

The chicken reference I really couldn't imagine. Was she just holding it for him, or was she holding it and making airplane noises so he would open his mouth? Either way, there were plenty of witnesses so it is easily verified.

I just reread the entire column. I fail to see any real problem with it aside from the chicken thing.

Since Gundy says 3/4 of it is plain wrong, I imagine JC's going to say that all of it came from the OSU coaching staff or his teammates. What is Gundy going to do then? Fire the entire staff? Bench the whole team? This thing could escalate in a direction that Gundy will not want to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.