1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bob Stoops Credits SEC Ascension to "Propaganda"......

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Sabanball, May 7, 2013.

1. Mac94

Mac94 New Member

Most SEC teams follow the same OOC scheduling formula as other conferences with 8 conference games have done. One marquee game and three buy home games. There is one difference, though, in that the SEC plays a high number of conference games in September (good for TV) so there is a need for OOC games in Oct/Nov. Because other conferences are in the middle of conference schedules the SEC generally dips into the FCS to get teams to fill out the OOC schedule.

Look at week 1 of the 2013 season, almost every meaningful game is SEC versus someone else ... Thursday night will be North Carolina vs. S. Carolina ... Saturday will feature games like Mississippi St versus Oklahoma St, LSU vs TCU, Alabama vs Virginia Tech, Georgia vs Clemson, Washington St. vs Auburn.

2. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

In a nutshell, the Boise State model.

3. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Man, I was respecting your rhetoric until you threw Wazzu in there.

Punt.

4. Mac94

Mac94 New Member

Pretty much the same model OU as well as most other BCS conference teams have used since the beginning of the Big-12. Look at the OOC the year OU won the MNC.

5. Mac94

Mac94 New Member

Was looking at BCS conference vs BCS conference ... there is very little in week 1 that features BCS vs BCS. And I did leave out that week 1 Vanderbilt and Ole Miss play a conference game.

6. Mac94

Mac94 New Member

This year SEC teams will play the following OOC games (my Aggies OOC sucks this year)

Bama - Virginia Tech
    Arkansas - Rutgers
    Auburn - Washington St
    Florida - Miami and Florida St.
    Georgia - Clemson and Georgia Tech
    Kentucky - Louisville
    LSU - TCU
    Mississippi St. - Oklahoma St.
    Missouri - Indiana
    Ole Miss - Texas
    S. Carolina - N. Carolina and Clemson
    Tennessee - Oregon
    Vanderbilt - Wake Forest

7. Mac94

Mac94 New Member

As for the vaunted Big-12:

Baylor - none
    Iowa St - Iowa
    Kansas - none
    Kansas St - none
    Oklahoma - Notre Dame
    Okla St - Miss St
    TCU - LSU
    Texas - Ole Miss
    Tech - none
    W. Virginia - Maryland

So the SEC's creampuff scheduling has 16 BCS vs BCS games spread among 14 teams .... the Big-12 has 6 among 10 teams. But hey ... everyone has to play Kansas and Iowa St.

8. Ruf/Nek7

Ruf/Nek7 New Member

Power house programs right there.
    *NOTE:I did not pick on Indiana for obvious reasons :joyous:*

9. Mac94

Mac94 New Member

Yes, WSU and WF are not good teams ... but Rutgers was 9-4 last year ... a better record that most of that Big-12 depth (read 7-5). And I did include a bad Maryland on the Big-12 list

10. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

That's the point right there. Nobody, including Stoops, is saying the Big 12 is the greatest thing since moonshine.
    And I'm laughing at Nick Saban and the smart assed media Tweet pile on fest of Stoops. You think Bob said these things in hopes to gain favor amongst peers and media dooshes? Funny.

11. Mac94

Mac94 New Member

Of course not ... his job is to sell the University of Oklahoma to the two groups that matter ... the donors and recruits. Since OU is in the Big-12 he must as an extension, defend the Big-12 as a destination of said recruits. The recruiting landscape is changing and his comments come right after two huge things happened ... Texas A&M announced the stadium expansion and the SEC announced their new network. With A&M now in the SEC recruiting in the state of Texas has changed and Bob knows this. His comments reflect him doing his job in trying to downplay what is a threat to Sooner recruiting. He is selling his program and conference ... like he should. Saban's comments and Muschamps comments that have been reported reflect the same.

12. MI Sooner

MI Sooner New Member

I don't get this. Does anyone think the "two best teams" should play for the title? They sure don't act like it. No one argued against ND being in the title game last year when it was clear they would be an underdog to more than 2 teams. ND, going into the game, was not considered one of the two best teams, yet everyone agreed they should be in the title game. People appear to look at teams with the best record, as long as winning percentage isn't dramatically different. If teams have the same record, then it comes down to best team, or some other factor.

I personally think it should be the teams that, based on their resumes, have the 1st and 2nd highest chances of being the #1 team in the country (based on who they played, and who they beat) should they win the title game.

13. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The argument has been going on for 15 years now in regards to the "two best teams". One side is that you should be your conference champion (obvious exception being the Tarnished Domers who continue to delude themselves about not needing a conference), the other suggests that if you are considered to be the best, but not your conference's champion be it by a fluke loss, a close loss to a quality team, or just a bad loss then you deserve that opportunity no matter what.

Absolutely Alabama benefitted from that scenario at the end of the 2011 season, just as OU did after the 2003 season, and Nebraska at the end of the 2001 season. The only real difference is that Alabama was the only one of those three teams to prove that decision to be right.

Truth is, all it proved is that with a month to prepare, Nicholas Saban is way too much coach for Leslie Miles to handle. Then again 4 months ago Dabo Swinney was too much coach for Leslie Miles to handle.

14. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

This was sent by a friend to my email when we were discussing this. He has an interesting theory:

"Bob and his fanbase are in a tough position right now. Their president said Oklahoma would not be wallflower on conference realignment and then was promptly told "no way" by the PAC when OU tried to head in that direction in 2011. They are politically wedded to OSU. Most importantly, they must effectively recruit Texas in order to be successful in the long term. The best way to recruit Texas is to play in Texas and constantly be mentioned in the Texas media. OU just cannot afford to let Texas drop the annual game in Dallas and to lose all the other exposure from playing in the Texas. Meanwhile, they can see that as the Big12 weakens as compared to other conferences....their own program is wilting on the vine. OU is doing their best to help the situation by scheduling some strong OOC opponents......but those efforts are failing when they continue to lose the big OOC games.

At the same time, recruiting has become much tougher for OU as the SEC's dominance both on the field and in the draft has made it much tougher to compete for Texas recruits. Kids in Texas that want to stay home (and 100 miles across the border in Norman is "staying home") now have the option to stay at home and play in the best conference in the country, with the most national exposure and with the best record of sending athletes to the NFL. The impact of this change is being and will be felt by Texas and OU. However, there will always be tons of great athletes in Texas that want to play at UT-Austin. Thus, the greatest impact has been and will continue to be on OU. More often than not, OU is now competing (for Texas kids) with Baylor, TCU and Tech. The very top recruits in Texas are now either going to Texas, A&M or elsewhere in the SEC....these kids want to play in the NFL. As the SEC becomes more and more dominant.....the impact on OU increases. But what can they do? About all they can do is exactly what Bob is trying to do......he's trying to convince the media and his recruits that the SEC isn't as great as its fame and the Big12 is not the mess that it appears to be. The Cotton Bowl this year really hurt that argument.

OU fans do not tend to be delusional....but they are beyond frustrated at being stuck in the Big12 and playing that schedule of light weights. They would head to the SEC in a heartbeat if they could be assured that Texas would not drop the game in Dallas and if the SEC would allow OSU to join them. They would then be able to offer the NFL benefits of the SEC and continue to have exposure in Texas via the annual OOC Texas game and A&M conference game. Their fans are absolutely convinced that the rest of the SEC would welcome them with open arms but that the only thing preventing that from happening when their "grant of rights" expires is that the SEC would not allow them to bring OSU."

Agree, or disagree? I'm not sure it is totally accurate, but I think he makes some good points.

15. Mazeppa

Mazeppa Well-Known Member

You knew there would be responses from the sec:

Muschamp, Saban jab at Bob Stoops' 'propaganda' comments
    By Jerry Hinnen | College Football Writer
    May 10, 2013 3:33 pm ET
    Nick Saban he has 'more important things to do' than worry about Bob Stoops' comments.
    Surprise, surprise: Oklahoma's Bob Stoops claiming the SEC's reputation is a result of "propaganda" -- and not wins like, say, Texas A&M's 41-13 Cotton Bowl dismantling of Stoops' own Sooners -- has caused plenty of waves across SEC country.
    Waves enough, in fact, that both Florida's Will Muschamp and Alabama's Nick Saban have offered public responses this week. Not surprisingly, neither thought much of Stoops' comments -- but neither was willing to spark a war of words over them, either.
    "I'd be saying the same thing if I were in the Big 12," Muschamp, a former Texas defensive coordinator, said with a laugh on Wednesday. "I said it for three years."
    Speaking at a "Crimson Caravan" fan gathering similar to the one at which Stoops made his comments, Saban was maybe a little more forceful than his SEC East counterpart.
    "You're going to have to tell me what he said,” Saban said, per al.com. “I've got more important things to do than sit around and read what Bob Stoops has to say about anything."
    Saban did go on to say that he likes Stoops, "respect him as a coach," and "certainly respect the great program that they have at Oklahoma and the other good programs that they have in the Big 12.”
    But, after being informed of Stoops' comments, he also made it clear he starkly disagreed that the SEC's reputation is unearned, as well as Stoops' contention that the bottom half of the league is weak.
    "I really don't think that people that don't play in our league really don't understand the quality of our league from top to bottom," he said, adding that "animosity" over the SEC's success was likely fueling its detractors.
    It's entirely expected that coaches like Saban and Muschamp aren't going to take another member of that coaching fraternity (particularly the very-well-paid wing of that fraternity) totally to task for comments made off the cuff in an informal setting; next time, it might be them saying something that makes headlines they'd have rather avoided. (Which is not to say that Stoops regrets making his comments. His point that the SEC's lower-rung teams aren't up to the standard of the Big 12's in recent seasons is an accurate one, for whatever that's worth.)
    But there's enough edge to both Saban's and Muschamp's responses to think they won't mind if they or another SEC team get another crack at Stoops in next year's Cotton Bowl, either.

16. Tidefan36854

Tidefan36854 New Member

You'd be assuming wrong. I'm married with 3 kids and own my own business. I have plenty to do! -lol Most of the info came from an article comparing the SEC and the B12. OU fans, UA fans, SEC and B12 fans were ALL sick and tired of hearing what WE ALL called the media lovefest with USC from '03 - '05. It took Texas beating them to stop the lovefest. Then the media loved talking about the fall of the mighty Trojans. Its just how these things work. Always has been, always will. When somebody beats the SEC, the same thing will happen.

My post wasn't directed to you, but who would YOU say was the best conference in the last 5 years? It is a simple question.
    Is the dominating head to head records against the Big12, Big 10, ACC, etc HORSE**** too?

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  17. freshchris05

freshchris05 New Member

The whole conference thing is propaganda. Alabama is a great program, maybe the best college football program. But besides Bama, no one in the SEC can hold OU's jock. Florida? LSU? UGA? Please.

The SEC is the best football conference right now. No question. But does conference alignment mean that much? I'm pretty sure this MNC streak hasn't made anyone else better except the winner.

18. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Saban is a ****** nozzle of the highest order. The day Alabama and LSU are prevented from oversigning and grey shirting is the day the SEC "superiority" collapses. Until then Saban, bama andthe entire cesspool known as the SEC can continue to pull the rest of college football into the cesspool with them.

Sure didn't take the ags of Texas long to learn how to skirt the recruiting limits, did it?

OUDoc likes this.
  19. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

i like this...

20. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

it's funny to watch the ATM fan yep like a trained monkey for the SEC.

wow.

maybe Mac doesn't know that OU was offered a place in SEC minus the Pokies. Boren decided to stick with the in-state ag school....ok. one good season and ATM fan is an expert on everything. and certainly able to produce all the SEC talking points. hooray!

picasso likes this.