1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baylor gets WHACKED by the NCAA......

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by Salt City Sooner, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

2. Rhino

Rhino Awesoministrator

Ouch.

That's crazy.

3. Sooner_Bob

Sooner_Bob SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Can I say wow too? :D

4. Phil

Phil Administrator Staff Member

Articles:
    Zang!!!

That's some SERIOUS bidness right there.

5. OklahomaTrombone

OklahomaTrombone SoonerFans.com Elite Member

damn.

6. jthomasou78

jthomasou78 New Member

Am I the only one that thinks that the kids that are playing at baylor are really killed for this.

DO you think Baylor plays conference ball next year?

7. Cam

Cam Uber Dad

Might as well have given the death penalty with the lack of non-con games.

8. ouflak

ouflak Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

Dang! You'd think there were some TV rights on the line or something.

9. batonrougesooner

batonrougesooner New Member

For Sale:

Two court-side tickets to the 2005 Baylor/SMU basketball game.

Make offer.

10. soonervegas

soonervegas New Member

I agree. I think limiting Baylor to only conference games only hurts the kids there now. Not only that, but how can they compete against other Big 12 teams when we will have 12-14 games under our belt. Bad move.

11. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

Hm. What's this going to do to conference RPI?

12. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I understand the NCAA has to punish schools for wrongdoings, but this hardly seems right. It's like Michigan basketball going on probation for stuff no one on the staff or on the team had anything to do with.

13. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

There were problems in our Athletic Department that were exposed by the Dennehy scandal. We had a coach who paid the tuition for a few players, and helped them out in other ways financially. He covered it up, and was fired for it almost immediately. We fired our coach, we fired our Athletic Director, our President resigned for several semi-unrelated reasons, and we put ourselves on probation. We then helped our own players transfer out so they would have the opportunity to play basketball.

We never tried to hide it from the NCAA or the world. We weren't paying players to play here. We weren't organizing orgies as a recruiting tool. We weren't giving players free cars, and we didn't pad their grades.

We immediately took responsibility for this by cleaning out our Athletic Department and owning up to our problems with the NCAA. Yet...we get bitch slapped and kicked in the groin while some other schools (I won't mention names) seemingly get by with infractions that are arguably much much worse. They deny and they stonewall and recieve a slap on the wrist.

What the hell is Baylor University suppose to learn from this? Have we not been punished enough? I mean honestly...what "lesson" are we suppose to learn from this? Or is it purely vindicative? Our coach had nothing to do with this, neither did our athletic director, nor did our interim President. The kids playing now, mostly, weren't even around when all of this happened. And to top off all of that my school has had to deal with, we've also had to deal with the loss of one of our fellow students.

So **** the NCAA and **** anyone who keeps throwing this crap up in our face.

14. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

good thing we have a resident Baylor fan to keep facts straight :)

is it fair to say that anyone being recruited to Baylor basketball...

1-Already knew about the scandal
    2-Knew Baylor would be subject to some sort of punishment for this scandal
    3-Therefore, would somehow be affected by the outcome of this scandal, should they choose to play basketball at Baylor

...?

Unless, of course, they were duped into thinking they'd be playing for the women's team instead... in which case, they got seriously screwed.

15. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

the sad thing about the loss of OOC games is that beyond revenue etc. the fans are the ones who suffer.

all 26 of them. ;)

seriously, though.

16. Vaevictis

Vaevictis SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yeah, considering that Baylor took care of its own business in house, I am not certain that additional NCAA punishment was necessary.

It's one thing for certain employees to participate in misconduct; it's another thing for the institution to encourage or tolerate misconduct. I don't think that Baylor does either. The coach, and everyone else involved, is already gone. What purpose does it serve to beat down on them more?

Personally, I think that giving a school that does a thurough and honest self-investigation a clean slate is just good policy. It gives the schools a big incentive to self-police.

Clean your own house, mete out your own punishments, and as long as you do a good job of it -- and do it first -- you're golden. Fail to do that, and face the smackdown from the NCAA in the form of fines, scholarship reductions, death penalty, etc.

17. Brasky7

Brasky7 New Member

no OOC games at all is beyond overboard, make em play all their OOC games on the road or at 2 in the morning, but to make them sit idly by until conference starts is ludicrous, imo...

NCAA: National Communists Against Athletes (at baylor, who are male, who play basketball, who had nothing to do w/ the sh*t that went on before they got there)...

where's The Boz when ya need him... :)

18. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Are you kidding me?

19. ouflak

ouflak Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

There's a strange headline on the ESPN college basketball page, "NCAA's Message Is Loud And Clear". I don't know what that message is. I read the article. And well, I still don't know what the message is.

Is there anybody here associated with the NCAA or perhaps ESPN that can explain what this loud-and-clear message is supposed to be?

20. AllAboutThe'O'

AllAboutThe'O' SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think it was Jerry Tarkanian who said it best, something along the lines of "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky right now they slapped Cleveland State with three years of probation."
    Which sums up my thoughts exactly on the Baylor situation.