1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You're welcome White Sox, the Umps gave you that one...

Discussion in 'General Sports Forum' started by colleyvillesooner, Oct 12, 2005.

1. OUAndy1807

OUAndy1807 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

but when he did, he should have handled his business because in life sometimes **** happens and you have to deal with it.
    [​IMG]

2. colleyvillesooner

colleyvillesooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

you deal with it :D

3. OUAndy1807

NO YOU DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!

nah, I understand that it's a crappy call and that it sucks for the white sox. I'm not to concerned because the yankees lost, so I don't care who wins now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mrowl

mrowl SoonerFans.com Elite Member

that was such bulls***...

I was expecting an extra inning thriller, and got screwed (surprise) by the MLB ump crew.

Reason #29 why I should hate baseball: Officiating is never consistent

5. Sooner24

Sooner24 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Baseball Sucks!

6. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I don't get that rule anyway.

If a guy swings at a pitch, I don't give a damn if it hits the backstop on the fly - it's strike three, and an out!

7. sooner_born_1960

sooner_born_1960 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The ball did hit the ground.

8. mrowl

yeah, it hit the ground when the catcher rolled it back to the mound...

watch the video, it didn't come close.

9. TUSooner

TUSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Post fixed.
    Bad no-play by Halo catcher, but ABSOLUTELYHORRIBLE call by ump - who actiually let the batter make the call. Send ump to minors.

And, BTW, it was a SWINGING 3rd strike.

10. sooner_born_1960

sooner_born_1960 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I watched it about a gazillion times last night. It appeared to change directions upwards before it disappeared into the glove. The umpire is taking way too much heat for this one.

11. mrowl

your right, cause it hit the bottom of his glove.

12. colleyvillesooner

colleyvillesooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Don't you think there would have been a little dirt movement if it hit the dirt?

13. The Maestro

The Maestro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

A few things. The video of the ump calling him out was his calling in strike three, not out. He never said out and that is why A.J. took off running. He had his head in the game, noticed the no call and took off running. Meanwhile, the inexperienced catcher did not wait for it, ASSumed it and tossed the ball to the mound while running off the field.

Two catchers...one batting and one catching...one had the head in the game and one lost focus...and the one who was focused on the situation ending up helping his team win. REGARDLESS of if the ball hit the ground or not.

14. OUthunder

OUthunder Angry Bird

Exactly. Hats off to AJ and the Angels got there share of calls from the Umps against the Yanks.

15. Sooner04

Sooner04 New Member

I disagree.

The Angels got their share of A-Rod, and that's why they won the series.

16. Red October

Red October New Member

I thought it hit the ground, based on the change of direction, but I was expecting to see more of a dirt cloud from when the ball made contact with the ground.

Regardless, I was very very happy with the result :D

17. OUAndy1807

even if the ball hit the ground before his glove, does that make it a dropped third strike? I thought it had to be a drop after the ball was in the glove or a bobble, but I'm no expert.

18. GrapevineSooner

GrapevineSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If the ball hits the ground before the catcher catches it on a third strike, then a put-up at first has to be made. That also applies if the catcher traps the ball.

The replay shows neither happened.

19. GrapevineSooner

GrapevineSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

That all having been said, what a heady play by Pierzynski.

You play to the whistle in football, and you run to first base on a swinging third strike that looks like it could be in the dirt.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  20. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm still loving AJ's story about how it happened to him in San Francisco last year..with a pitcher batting...except the pitcher was almost to the dugout before he ran to first.