1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Team in Other Conferences

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by Sooner04, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Sooner04

Sooner04 New Member

A text message to my good friend, TopDawg, got me thinking of this topic. This pertains to college basketball only, considering I don't give two ****s about anyone in college football other than OU.

ACC - North Carolina: beautiful colors.
    Pac 10 - Washington: love Seattle, and love their colors too. Great arena.
    Big East - Providence: It was 1997, and his name was God Shammgod.
    SEC - Vanderbilt
    Big 10 - Northwestern
    WCC - San Diego
    Miscellaneous - UNLV: for my man, Tark.

2. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

ACC-North Carolina. Simply for Sam Perkins
    Pac-10-Washington. Being that Washington was the closest D-1 program growing up, you just kind of liked them.
    Big East-Used to be Villanova until Scottie Reynolds. Will probably be 'Nova again once he leaves.
    SEC-Alabama. Duh.
    Big 10-Iowa.
    Mountain West-San Diego State. Both parents hold degrees from SDSU.

3. Frozen Sooner

And I don't know that I'd call Hec Ed a great arena.

4. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Good question...

ACC - NC State (as much as I like NC's colors, 1990 made me hate them)
    Pac 10 - California (Became a semi fan when Tony Gonzalez played at Cal)
    Big East - Cincinnati (Thanks to "Nick the Quick", although I couldn't stand him in the NBA)
    SEC - Tennessee (Both my parents are grads of UT. They've sucked until recently)
    Big 10 - Illinois (Always liked the old school Illini logo)
    WCC - Loyola Marymount (Hank Gathers/Bo Kimble, left handed free throws)
    Misc. - Bradley (went on a trip to Illinois as a kid, went by the campus...liked 'em ever since).

5. Sooner04

Sooner04 New Member

I loved the old fieldhouse atmosphere when we went walking through there before the football game in September. I've always noticed how loud it was on TV too.

6. Frozen Sooner

Huh. I guess my most prevalent memory of Hec Ed was at the 1988 Goodwill Games boxing tournament and the place being a freaking oven.

7. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Wisconsin and Marquette (which is in Milwaukee) and occasionally UWGB (stands for Univ. of Wisc. - Green Bay), should they make the tourney.

I am also a fan of Tulsa and ORU come tourney time.

EDIT: I also like Washington State, which is coached by Tony Bennett, the son of former Wisconsin coach Dick Bennett

8. Sooner04

Sooner04 New Member

MASSIVE overhaul of the joint per the museum located inside. The old pictures did not make it seem very appealing, but I think they gutted the place about the time Bank of America bought the naming rights.

Proof!

9. Frozen Sooner

Well there you go. I haven't been back since 1988-not because I was upset about the venue or anything, I'm just rarely in Seattle during basketball season.

I did get a chance to say hello to Romar and exchange a couple of words with him right before the OU-Washington game this year. sb93 can confirm-our tailgate spot was right next to Hec Ed and Romar walked right by us.

10. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

meh

ACC - Georgia Tech since the Mark Price days.
    Pac 10 - Arizona State, my bro in law played there and how can you forget Arthur Thomas from Booker T. Tulsa.
    Big East - it was something beautiful in early - mid 80's. Gotta go with Georgetown.
    SEC - Kentucky, I hate 'em but I have a golfing buddy from there.
    Big 10 - Michigan State

Miscellaneous - old school Memphis State.

oh, was this about uniforms?

11. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

Brett? weird.

only Tulsa

12. sooner2b09

sooner2b09 New Member

ACC - Wake Forest, no reason really just like them better than anyone else in that conference
    Pac-10 - UCLA, I love California and always wanted to go to UCLA when I was little. And I met John Wooden on an airplane about 5 years ago, amazing man.
    Big East - Georgetown also a college I wanted to go to, beautiful campus, just an old college feel.
    SEC - I guess if I had to chose one it would be Alabama.
    Big 10 - Indiana, my whole family is from Indiana including me. Nothing beats going to see a Basketball game on a cold night at Assembly Hall.
    Miscellaneous - Gonzaga, always liked them since I was little

13. OUstud

OUstud New Member

ACC: Wake
    Pac 10: ASU
    Big East: Cincy
    SEC: Auburn
    Big 10: Penn State
    Misc: VMI, cause of their style of play

Sooner04 likes this.
  14. soonervegas

soonervegas New Member

I do not have a favorite team for each conference but:

Illinois
    Georgetown
    Georgia Tech

Always get a little extra attention from me as a viewer and casual fan.

15. AllAboutThe'O'

AllAboutThe'O' SoonerFans.com Elite Member

ACC: Georgia Tech; loved the Bobby Cremins coached teams in the '80s and early '90s. I also don't hate Duke as much as I used to; perhaps because of Capel.
    Pac 10: Washington State and Oregon State now that Obama's bro in law is in charge.
    Big East: Cincinnati, though it's not been the same since Huggins left.
    SEC: Arkansas; grew up a huge Razorback fan and went to school there.
    Big 10: Illinois, gotta love the pride of Okay, Okla., Lou Do Henson. I also kind of liked Indiana when The General was there; hated them when KS took over.
    Misc: Maybe the regional schools like Tulsa, La. Tech, Arkansas-Little Rock (their head coach is someone I knew back when I was working in Texas and is a great guy) and Missouri State.

16. CincySooner

CincySooner Active Member

ACC: Duke (I know, crucify me) - they have the most involved student section in basketball. Tell me you wouldn't want to go see a Duke home game sometime...

Pac10: beats me... uh Washington?

Big East: Cincinnati - I live here, so what can I do? Also, I'll never forget Kenyon Martin blocking a shot against OU in 98 or 99 and sending the ball about 5 rows deep into the stands.

SEC: meh... I like to root against Tennessee. I dunno why, I just do.

Big10/11: Michigan State - again, great commitment from their fans. and the giant green 'S' is cool looking.

Misc: Xavier - I know they have an in-town rivalry with Cincy, but I coach one of their club-level sports.
    Tulsa and ORU - for obvious reasons

17. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

ACC: Wake Forest - I've got some family that are huge Wake fans, so I secretly cheer for them as well.

Big East: I guess I'd cheer for South Florida, because Lee Roy was their AD for a while.

Big 10: Hmm... Wisconsin, I guess, for my wife. I just have never cared about Big 10 athletics.

Pac 10: Arizona - no real reason, I just followed them a bit when I was still a young'un.

Mid-Major: Tulsa! For obvious reasons. :)

18. Spanish Sooner

Spanish Sooner New Member

ACC: Boston College-I tend to pull for the catholic schools
    SEC: Arkansas-Only SEC school that hasn't completely pissed me off yet
    Big East-Marquette-old room mate goes to law school there
    Big 10: Wisconsin-I like teams in red
    Pac 10: UCLA-like the powder blue and gold
    CUSA: all of them really, but I tend to lean to Tulsa above the pack
    WCC: Pepperdine-Family reasons

19. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

ACC - Duke, yes I root for Duke and it all honestly goes back to Capel, I used to love him when he played for Duke
    Pac 10 - not a big fan of many of the teams but I remember the whole deal when Lute Olsens wife died so I kind of pulled for Zona at times
    Big East - I used to pull for Seton Hall back in the day, now I like Louisville cus of Pitino
    SEC - Vandy, I pulled for them big time last yr during their run
    Big 10 - Mich St, I like Izzo and the way his teams play
    WCC - I got pulled into the whole Gonzaga deal back in the late 90's, I still remember that game against Zona that went triple OT I believe
    Misc. - Missouri St, I lived in Missouri when they were pretty good and still follow them. I loved Vermont during the run that they have, any team that makes a run like that

20. soonerfan28

soonerfan28 New Member

I've always been a fan of Duke and Tulsa. Duke because I grew up watching them in the early 90's with Laettner, Hurley, Hill and even Cherokee Parks. I remember my brother always wearing his Duke Apex jacket.