1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who ends the year with the most rushing yards for OU?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by BermudaSooner, Sep 3, 2014.

?

Who has the most rushing yards this season?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2014.
  1. Perine

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Ross

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. Ford

28 vote(s)
    75.7%
  4. Knight

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. BermudaSooner

BermudaSooner Well-Known Member

We've got 3 good backs, maybe a great one or two, and a running QB. Who ends the season with the most rushing yards?

2. BermudaSooner

I'm guessing Ross as I think Ford will get a lot of his touches on passes, and Ross will break longer ones than Perine. Has OU ever had 3 backs with 1,000 yards?

3. SoonerForLife92

SoonerForLife92 New Member

Knight! Knight! Knight! I almost voted for him for sh*ts and gigs, poor guys got no votes. I'll go with the safe answer in Ford. As we all know it's pretty much a toss up at this point. Hopefully we'll see more of the same @ Tulsa, then we'll see who truly shines against Tennessee.

4. Okie35

Okie35 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Keith Ford ... All purpose, Alex Ross

5. BigTip

BigTip Well-Known Member

I don't know.
    But it's fun as hell having this very legitimate poll put up so we can savor the possibilities.

6. ouduckhunter

ouduckhunter New Member

7. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Perine had the most Sat and will continue...RUSHING yards that is...

8. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

All three are very good, but Ford just looks a bit better to me. They all have their strengths, but Ford just hits the hole so fast and finishes every run. Ross and Perine are punishing too, but if we're in a tight game and need a few yards, Ford is the guy I want in the game.

9. BermudaSooner

Close race so far. Through 2 games:

Keith Ford 19 for 138
    Alex Ross 16 for 126
    Samaje Perine 23 for 110
    Trevor Knight 9 for 52

10. BermudaSooner

Update on this through 8 games:

Samaje Perine 150 767 5.1
    Alex Ross 58 420 7.2
    Trevor Knight 53 295 5.6
    Keith Ford 34 194 5.7

Obviously Ford with the injury hurt his position. Interesting that Perine has gotten 3 times more carries than Ross.

11. 8timechamps

Never would have guessed Perine would have such a big number. Gotta love that all three backs (and TK) are averaging over 5 yards per carry.

12. BermudaSooner

Now if we just improve our YPC to 1 on 4th and 1, we'd be doing even better!

13. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I did...lol...just kidding...it was a pure guess...looks like Ross if he had those carries would be great. Wonder if coaches see that and think they should get him more touches...

14. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The same Alex Ross the message board pundits were urging to transfer to another school two months ago?

15. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Just watching Alex run the last 2 games, he seems to have improved with his ability to shed tacklers, and make deceptive moves. He's not great at either, yet, but given his speed, the small improvements have improved him substantially. Sure hope he continues to upgrade. He might be a star, after all.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  16. KantoSooner

I suspect that it's as much his vision and 'the game slowing down' that's having the biggest impact. Somewhat similar to what happened with Clay over his years at OU.
    If he avoids injury and continues to work, he'll end up being special. We know he's got a top gear that's impressive and last game we got a small taste of his power when he moved the pile 5 yards.
    Absolutely nothing against Ford, Perine, Mixon, Smith, Brooks, Anderson or anyone else we recruit in the future. I just happen to like Ross. Hope he does really well.

17. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I didn't want him to transfer. I wanted him to stay so that he could return kicks. I guess he might be a decent RB after all.

I still don't think we'd miss him too badly once Mixon is back. Ford will probably never be healthy for a complete season, but if he is, that leaves even less room for Ross.

18. KantoSooner

Yeah, I guess he might just be a 'decent' RB.

And if Peyton Manning and Serena Williams had a love child, it might be a good idea to check the kid's athletic abilities.

19. 8timechamps

Ross has the ability to be a home run threat every time he touches the ball, that's something you can't coach. He does seem to be running harder to the hole, and I think the game is slowing down for him some. I think he's only going to continue to improve.

There will be a logjam at the position next year. With Ford, Ross and Perine already proven, and the potential that Mixon brings, that's four excellent RBs in the same backfield. Then, add incoming freshman Rodney Anderson (who looks just like another really, really good RB). Cale Gundy has done amazing things in recruiting the position.

20. KantoSooner

Bring back the 'Bone!