1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does OUr LB corps look like next year?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by TMcGee86, Nov 23, 2011.

1. TMcGee86

TMcGee86 Well-Known Member

Just going off the depth chart would lead you to believe it's Nelson-Wort-Jefferson.

But I just can't see that being the case. That sounds like it would be horrible against the run.

I guess the bigger question is what does the entire secondary look like next year.

IMHO Wort at MLB is a bad thing. I think he can be the leader of the D, but not at MLB. I would like to see Jefferson at FS, Nelson at SLB, Jones or Bird at MLB, and Wort at WLB.

This seemingly leaves us more vulnerable over the middle, but maybe with Jefferson back there it's not as glaring as it is at times this year.

Granted, I haven't followed recruiting so maybe there's some super-frosh coming in at LB that will play right away?

2. TXBOOMER

TXBOOMER New Member

I don't know about next year, but this year they are not real consistent. Hopefully they can find a Lance Mitchell and Pasha Jackson at a JUCO somewhere.

3. TMcGee86

TMcGee86 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure what is out there but a Juco MLB would be a nice find. Or a Juco FS. Or SS for that matter. Or CB.

4. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Young but surrounded by guys with Game experience and if Wort is the MLB....we will be pretty damn good. I'm much more worried about the secondary and our Running Backs. I know some folks might think we are gonna be OK once Whaley is healed up and that with Finch back and Clay healed up maybe we will be. I'd like to believe we will be OK but if the next AD is in the Stable...I'd be just fine seeing a Freshman step in and show us that things are gonna be OK for the next 3-4 years. Even if he pops up and they Redshirt him....we will know he's still there. The Red White Game in the Spring will be an interesting Day as we will know whether the Belldozer is gonna be our QB.

5. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

You know....I'm not gonna say we don't need one because of how we are right now but if a young guy steps up...it might be good to have a Juco guy in there to help Wort the next couple of years to help us find guys to add to the depth and maybe even to replace Jefferson for the guys that think he should be in the secondary. We are hurting on Defense and Venables has really had to shuffle guys around this year because the LB Corp is very young.

6. madillsoonerfan5353

madillsoonerfan5353 New Member

IMO it will be better with the loud mouth Lewis gone. He is the one who makes the checks yes, but I think some guys maybe tired of his loud mouth and him loafing time to time. Example see Harris Saturday night and BV telling Lewis to shut his mouth. Wort in the middle is great IMO he has grown a lot from the first of the year and I think another spring will make him that much better. I agree that we need some help in the secondary. Both corners are prolly gone after this year, Fleming for sure. Wouldn't mind a JUCO db or two head this way. What's the deal with Taylor is he gonna play db or lb?

:gary:

7. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

I was pretty much thinking that Lewis would be gone since he's a Senior and he's the best damn LB OU has ever had. I mean....they did Shark Music for him. Even The Boz didn't get Shark Music.....lol

8. cantwait48

cantwait48 New Member

sure would be nice to have rashod favors, pl lindley and/or kellen jones come around and push the returners next year, what are people hearing about these young guys?

9. madillsoonerfan5353

I realize he's a senior, just saying that he might be some of the problem with the unity of the D. With all the smack he talks and the loafing he does. His best year IMO was his redfrosh year he was dialed in then and played football.

10. madillsoonerfan5353

Broke 1,000 post with that one ^^^^^ Woot Woot!

11. rainiersooner

rainiersooner New Member

You're assuming Landry leaves? Or loses the job?

12. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

leaves. I think a lot of folks think Bell will take over if Landry leaves but you never know what might happen between now and then. Plus Landry could surprise me and come back but with Ryan Graduating and getting hurt....maybe he'll do what I think and head for the combines like he should.

13. colleyvillesooner

colleyvillesooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

14. starclassic tama

starclassic tama New Member

why do you want jefferson at FS? he has never played that position in college before, i'm sure if he was a really capable safety he would be playing back there considering how inconsistent harris has been this season

15. The Maestro

The Maestro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

FIFY

16. Mad Dog Madsen

Mad Dog Madsen New Member

You broke a guy code by saying "woot woot." :fatigue:

17. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

Who knows... I mean, as long as Venables is here, we'll never have good LBs. *sarcasm*

18. Mad Dog Madsen

Mad Dog Madsen New Member

19. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

Yeah, I think we've been missing a big, physical MLB. I like the idea of Wort at WLB and Nelson SLB. We just need someone like T-Marsh, Lance Mitchell, or Curtis Lofton to plug up that middle.

20. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Isn't that where he was being moved in the summer prior to the death of Box and the fall injuries?