1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We Control Our Destiny Now

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by Eielson, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

...for a share of the conference title at least.

K-State's upset over KU is official, and that leaves us just one game behind Kansas (and half of a game behind ISU).

It's not going to be easy, though, as we'll likely have to beat TCU at home on Saturday, and follow that up with a win at Ames, and another win at home against KU. If KU were to lose to WVU or Texas, we might even be playing for an outright conference championship on March 7.

It will be tough, but it's definitely possible, and it feels great to control our own destiny going into the final 3 games (and likely 2, as a TCU win should be as close to a guarantee as you can get in conference play).

2. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

I-State has won like 21 games in a row at home. Call me when we win in Ames.

3. Eielson

Please post your phone number.

4. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

Every time I hear that phrase, "We control out destiny", I hear it said in a Darth Vader voice.

5. aurorasooner

aurorasooner Well-Known Member

We need to put TCU away early in Norman Sat, then get some rest for that Monday game in Ames which could possibly punch our ticket to the regular season championship if we happen to win it. I've got think we've got to shoot unconscious from the 3 point line to win it.
    I don't think there's a chance in hell of us winning out especially the way we played Sat in Lubbock, just pitiful--no energy, couldn't shoot for sh&^ and couldn't rebound either, but hopefully a whole week of rest will help us.

Just looking at the schedule, I-State plays Baylor in Ames on Wed Night (ESPNU) and then they play K-State in the Rotten Apple on Sat (ESPN2) --the later the better for us I'd think, which is 3 games in ~ 5 days, including the next Mon Night game with us.

KU plays Texas in Lawrence on Sat (ESPN2) then they play W.Va in Lawrence on Tue Night (ESPN2) before they play us on the final Sat (ESPN2), so there's probably no advantage for us except for the home court and possibly an extra day of rest, but they have both games at home and don't have to travel before coming to Norman. They'll probably win both, but I also thought they'd win last night.

We play TCU this Sat (ESPNU) and then have to travel to Ames on Monday. (TCU's OOC must have been sh(% because they've lost all their games in conference). If we don't cough that game up against TCU and happen to steal that one in Ames then we've got a real good shot to steal the conference from KU (and ISU) or tie KU for it, especially with I-State playing KSU on the road on Sat. KSU played last night and upset KU, so they'll get plenty of rest before they play ISU.

I didn't think I'd ever root for the whorns in anything, but I'll be rooting for them tonight against WVa in Morgantown.

Standings (from the Big 12 website)

School Big 12 Overall Pct.

Kansas 11 - 4 22 - 6 .786
    Iowa State 10 - 4 20 - 6 .769
    Oklahoma 10 - 5 19 - 8 .704
    West Virginia 9 - 5 21 - 6 .778
    Baylor 8 - 6 20 - 7 .741
    Oklahoma State 7 - 8 17 - 10 .630
    Kansas State 7 - 9 14 - 15 .483
    Texas 6 - 8 17 - 10 .630
    TCU 3 - 11 16 - 11 .593
    Texas Tech 2 - 13 12 - 16 .429

As of February 23, 10:43 PM CT

6. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

God bless purple kansas those octagon of doom mf'ers ;)

7. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

got to agree, Mon at isu will be almost impossible. Honestly I'd rather beat ku in Norman than isu if I had a choice. We better man-handle tcu big time.

8. Eielson

Lot of Debbie Downers in here. Yuck.

Yes...ISU is a very good team, and yes...Ames is a tough place to play...and yes, this ISU is the clear favorite in this game...but no, this isn't impossible, or even close to it.

First off, we beat the hell out of ISU about 2.5 weeks ago. I know it was at home, but what advantage does homecourt give teams? It's not magic. It's the fact that teams tend to shoot a little better at home, and get more calls. ISU shot well above their season average against us, and shot more than twice as many FT's, so I doubt that factors in too much. It also serves as a bit of added motivation some times, as some players tend to be going through the motions in the middle of the season, but if you can't get motivated to play against a top 15 team for a conference title, then you don't have a pulse. Ultimately, we're just going to have to play another great game like we did for the last 25 minutes or so.

Second, ISU is undefeated at home this year, but they haven't been untouchable. They only beat OSU by 2, KU by 5, KSU by 6, and Texas by 3. Even Southern, a team that went 3-11 in the non-conference, gave ISU a scare at home back in December. It's also notable that we would be undefeated at home this season had we not lost to KSU. I don't consider us unbeatable at home.

Lastly, we've played tougher games than this one. Admittedly, we haven't won any games that were as tough or tougher than this one, but we should have beaten KU in Lawrence, and if we'd gotten anything from Hield or Cousins (just one...not even both), we would have had a good shot at knocking off Wisconsin.

In the end, I agree that this is a tough game, and it's not likely that we will win the conference. We have a reasonable shot, though. If we were to win all three remaining games, it wouldn't be the weirdest thing that happened all year (losing to KSU twice has that title). I'm not going to raise the white flag before the fight even starts like you chumps.

9. aurorasooner

Whorns were making it interesting vs Wva even though they've had one of their trees ejected. Now it's turned into a TO and foul battle with WVa pulling away. It's probably going to take a miracle for Texass to win this one.
    Lunardi is talking now about how the steers may not even make the NCAA tourney because of their conference record and they've still got to play KU on the road.
    For as tall as they are, they can't chew bubble gum and play BB worth a chit.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  10. badger

Ja, but do y'know who's not a Debbie Downer? Buddy Hield before the season started :D

If Buddy says it, who am I to disagree :D

:mad: now go vBet on the Sooners in vBookie or else we're gonna lose Saturday :mad:

11. Eielson

12. Soonerjeepman

yes we would....to win it outright...and to get a share. if isu beats us we'll have 6 losses, they'll have 5. even if ku losses to ut or wv, we have to beat isu to win it outright or a share. Not sure how you figured we didn't need to win in ames.

actually wv is 10-5 as well with games at bu/at ku/home osu. So the best for OU is they lose to bu, beat ku, lose to osu.

OU wins out, then they will be league champs. We drop the isu game, they win out, they will be league champs. Wv wins out, we win out then we will share title with wv. Basically we HAVE to win out to even get the league, or let alone a share....

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  13. aurorasooner

I guess we should root for the Whorns to beat KU, KSU to beat ISU, then KU to beat Wva. It won't matter though if we don't win the next two, and we sure as hell have to take of business on Saturday.
    I don't know whether it's better to root for the Steers against KU or root for KU to put another L on their resume to possibly send them to the NIT. Watched the bears/Clowns game after the Sooner Wimmen and Baylor played tough down the stretch in Ames.

I sure would like to see us get the 1 or 2 seed in the B12 tourney so we could at least get out of the 2nd round.

14. Soonerjeepman

yeah...I would have liked to be the one to beat isu at home...doubt they lose 2...just like I think we beat ku in norman. it'll be a tough game. Can't believe the women pulled it out....

15. Eielson

I don't think you understood anything I said.

I know all these things you speak of, but none of that changes the validity of what I said. Depending on how things unfold, we could reasonably be playing for an outright conference championship against KU. All that needs to happen under that scenario is for KU to lose to WVU or KU, and for us to win out.

If we were to lose to ISU, we could still reasonably get a share of the conference title with a win against KU. KU once again would have to lose to WVU or Texas. Additionally ISU would have to lose @KSU or @TCU. KSU is 6-2 in conference at home (with only a 6 and a 4 point loss), and has beaten both KU and OU there. I would pick KSU as slight favorites. Additionally, WVU is 10-5, but they'd have to win @Baylor, @KU, and against OSU to keep us from grabbing a share. We all know that's not happening.

So yes, as long as KU loses to WVU or Texas, we have very good odds to win or share a conference title with a win on Senior Night.

16. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Baylor did us a favor by winning in Ames. New **** has come to light!

17. Soonerjeepman

yes I did, we are on the same team...you said we may not even have to win in Ames to get a share of the title...I disagreed...technically yes, but that relies on a lot of other things happening.

ISU has 5 losses, we have 5...if we lose to isu they are up 1/2 game. So, yes technically we could still...IF isu drops another we share IF we beat tcu/ku. I suppose that's possibility just like us being beat by tcu. Ksu will be tough for isu but they are a team that is more jekyl and hyde than us (ksu).

Basically I took your post as in we could lose to isu and either win it outright or at least share...which would rely on isu losing another and ku losing another (besides to us)...which are both long shots.

Bottom line is if we finish out we will at least share the title...depending on what ku does. IF the horns or wv can beat ku we may have a legitimate shot at the reg season title IF we beat isu. We need ut to beat ku and not wv. If wv does then there's a chance we'll tie with them.

18. badger

The meltdown thread might have a new addition or two by the end of the day ;)

19. Eielson

Just want to let all of you Debbie Downers know that KSU just knocked off ISU (did anybody in this thread predict that????). Also, WVU is getting blown out, so a win against KU assures us of, at least, a tie.

KU is losing to Texas at half, but there's still a long way to go. Cliff Alexander isn't playing, though, and they could use him against Texas' size. If Texas holds on, then we can lose to ISU, but beat KU, and still grab a share of the conference title. If KU lost, and we won out, we would be outright conference champs.

TWO GAMES TO GO AND WE STILL CONTROL OUR OWN DESTINY...

20. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Okay, we're down to the last two games...with a chance to win the conference. There's no way I would have expected this when the season started. I knew we had a solid group, and would more than likely make the big dance, but I didn't expect to be in this position with two games remaining.

Iowa State is going to be the tougher of the two. However, the Cyclones don't look so intimidating at home lately. The good news is they are coming off of a two game losing streak (Baylor and @ KSU). The bad news is we will have their full attention because of that (and the fact that we already beat them once). IF (and that's a big if) we can get by the Cyclones on the road, I think everything sets up for a win at home to close out the regular season.

If Texas can pull off the win today over KU, it takes a little bit of pressure off (at least having to win both games).

BOOMER!