1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USA Soccer

Discussion in 'General Sports Forum' started by JLEW1818, Oct 14, 2009.

1. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

okay... so what did tonight's results mean??? explain....

2. Soonerus

Soonerus SoonerFans.com Elite Member

USA scores with 10 seconds left in extra time in game...USA wins group, Mexico second...awesome result for USA...

3. tommieharris91

tommieharris91 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It meant nothing because the US qualified on Saturday. It meant Costa Rica has to play Uruguay in a playoff to earn their World Cup birth and that late goal put Honduras through.

4. Soonerus

No, it meant a lot because with Mexico's tie USA wins the group and will get a higher seeding in the World Cup...

5. tommieharris91

Not true after Argentina qualified tonight. If they didn't, the US would need all three of France, Argentina, and Portugal (I think) to not qualify.

6. Soonerus

not true Mexico had the group with a victory tonight..a huge goal for USA..

7. tommieharris91

Yea, after a check of the standings you're right. It still doesn't mean much though.

Ohh and Oguchi Onyewu tore his patellar tendon in his left knee. He's likely out for at least 3 months. Right as Milan started giving him a look...

8. JLEW1818

Oguchi Onyewu

my favorite player

9. Soonerus

No, it is significant to be first in your group...It is like NCAA B-Ball seedings...easier games early..

10. JLEW1818

i think we have a shot at a top 8 seed

right?

11. Soonerus

1's play 4's ,etc...

12. tommieharris91

Like I said earlier, not after Argentina qualified today. We're 10th in the pecking order (some see the US 11th). Argentina, France, and Portugal (all top 8 teams) had trouble qualifying. Argentina qualified today. France and Portugal will have to play playoffs (opponent determined Monday) to earn their spot. It's not looking very likely.

http://www.football-rankings.info/2009/10/2010-world-cup-seeding-formula-based-on.html

13. tommieharris91

Nope. The seeds get placed in a pot and matched up randomly to make 8 pools of 4 teams, with each pool having a 1, a 2, a 3, and a 4 seed. The teams play each other team in their pool once. The top 2 teams in each pool advance into the knockout rounds (playoffs).

14. Soonerus

disagree . it is not random...the prelims do matter...

15. tommieharris91

Yea, but to FIFA, stuff you did in World Cups 8 years ago matters more. It's pretty likely we'll be in the pot with the other 2 seeds. Like written in pen, etching the stone right now, it will take a minor miracle likelihood...

16. Soonerus

Excuse me, we are a 1 seed...do you not understand..

17. tommieharris91

No, we will be a #2. It's clear that YOU don't understand. I'm not trying to go all LAS on you and condescend, but it's clear that you don't know what the components for the FIFA seeding formula are.

18. Soonerus

USA won the group, they are a #1...

19. Soonerus

20. tommieharris91

[​IMG]

Winning CONCACAF means absolutely zilch to FIFA. Dude just click on my link I posted earlier.