1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The shooter....guy who killed OBL

Discussion in 'TrumpFest 2016' started by diverdog, Feb 25, 2013.

1. diverdog

diverdog New Member

This a great article about the ST6 shooter who got OBL. Great read:

http://www.esquire.com/features/man-who-shot-osama-bin-laden-0313?click=mid

2. soonercruiser

soonercruiser New Member

Diver,
    How's about a book report like I did?

3. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think there is something hidden. I do not believe he was left out in the cold, too many military people know exactly what they get in retirement and know exactly what their benefits are... There is something missing here...Why would a person leave the service voluntarily with 2 years to retirement? Something is not fully forthcoming here. His Commanders have debunked his I wasn't told story...

4. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

I agree. Maybe he got lots of input from fellow Seals that suggested he should retire and try to make good on his story in the Private Sector. Then since he didn't get any offers he went job hunting and basically didn't get job offers? I'm just speculating here. Like you said...something doesn't add up.

5. BermudaSooner

BermudaSooner Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing..these SEALS are amazing people. Really don't understand why he wouldn't stay in for a little longer--don't some SEALS have desk jobs or can't he go be a SEAL trainer or something?

6. soonercruiser

soonercruiser New Member

Really nothing hidden here.
    Obummer wanted the credit as SOMETHING good that he did during his presidencies.
    :ambivalence:

7. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Me either. What he and his buds did was awesome. From what I can tell...anyone of them could have been the guy that got him so I just wonder why he feels so alone in what should be a tight brotherhood of folks who pulled off one of the best US Operations on Foreign Soil.

8. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

So he was treated exactly the way the rules say he should be treated and that's somehow bad?

Do your time, you get the cash. Quit early, get nothing.

TUSooner and Mississippi Sooner like this.
  9. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

You don't have a clue.

10. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

This is the second time I've heard this account, and it's had me belly laughing both times:

11. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

He never has and Prolly never will Bro.

8timechamps likes this.
  12. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Welp, my take is that he said he was burned out...got out at 16 years..
    4 more years is a long *** time, since it appears that he was thinking
    about his family and wrecked marriage. Clearly, he and his wife still had
    a thing for each other. Trying to get inside this warrior's head a little, maybe
    he thinks about some of his buds going down in a chopper, not getting a
    chance to face up or maybe the bullet that he doesn't hear or any one of
    a large number of things that can go wrong on a mission. Think about it,
    four month deployments and if you only kill 5 or 6 bad guys on a mission
    it ain't worth it!

Those of us who have never sniffed that kind of battle have no right to sit
    in any kind of judgement...none whatsoever! I am eternally grateful for
    those who do what he did and are still doing it. I salute them, pray for
    them. I have a flag that flew 24/7 from Sept 12, 2001 til that day in May.
    I cherish that flag and wish I could hand it to any one of the 23.

God bless 'em!

8timechamps likes this.
  13. Ton Loc

Ton Loc Well-Known Member

I don't know what happened with this dude, but **** it. The guy killed Osama. He shouldn't need to worry about much the rest of his life and neither should the rest of ST6.

14. diverdog

diverdog New Member

i thought the most telling quote was when they said ST6 guys get the same retirement after 20 years as someone who spent 20 years in the Navy Choir. There is something wrong with that system.

A better system is the noncombat service gets full retirement after 62. A SEAL should be vested after 5 years of service with a scale going to full retirement at 20 years. So if you get out at 15 years you get 75% of your 20 year retirement plus medical.

15. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Hell, DD, that makes too much sense! Best I can remember, the military
    aint in ta makin sense...

16. olevetonahill

What 8TC and Rock said.
    If ya aint been there , aint done that, then ya need to STFU cause you dont ****ing know.

8timechamps likes this.
  17. sappstuf

sappstuf New Member

Very doubtful. Those Navy Band guys don't make rank.. There are less than 200 of them, so they literally have to wait for someone to retire or die. Most get out way before that.

So they won't retire with as high a rank as a SEAL who did 20 and they certainly won't have any combat related disabilities that the SEALs will probably have and the SEAL will probably have more of them. Add all of that up and the SEAL will be getting a lot more cash at the end of the day.

When I was in San Antonio, I saw SEALs going through PA school all the time. Most of them wanted to get out of the SOC and into something beyond what the SEALs had to offer. I'm sure it is a little easier on the body as well. This guy could have chosen something like that for his family. I'm fairly certain SEAL officer packages will read pretty strong and they get selected for such things at a higher rate than your average Sailor.

So if this SEAL didn't want the grind anymore, he had options. If he was as physically broke as the story lets on, then he wasn't combat ready and he would have gotten a med board or at least transferred somewhere non deployable to finish his time out.

A Navy Admiral actually addressed this part of the story.

18. olevetonahill

Well said Sapp. Ya been there, Go to the head of the class.

19. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Everybody STFU!

20. diverdog

diverdog New Member

Sapp:

The problem is that the SEALs face operational and combat stress at a much higher level than the rest of the service. These guys do more in 4 years than most career infantry officers do in 20 years. They should get special consideration.