1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Consolidated Television Display/Electronics information thread!

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Frozen Sooner, Dec 28, 2006.

1. mrowl

mrowl SoonerFans.com Elite Member

maybe fits in...

Should I wait to buy an AVCHD camcorder until there is an operating system, and editing software (final cut, premiere) that supports it?

2. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

I'm not so sure that AVC is going to be the codec going forward that you're going to want to use. Otherwise, I don't know a thing about camcorders.

3. Okieflyer

Okieflyer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Sony - KDS-60A2000 60" SXRD Rear Projection Television

OK I made the plunge. Thanks guys for the advice. I should get it in a week or so.

Now I'm going to have to retire my 1990 31" Magnavox and join the modern era of TVs.:D

4. Frozen Sooner

Rock on, man. Have fun with your new purchase.

5. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk SoonerFans.com Elite Member

congratulations, but damn you! Now you put the pressure on me to make a purchase.

6. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk SoonerFans.com Elite Member

7. Okieflyer

Git'er done!:texan:

8. 85Sooner

85Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Actually, I think you will find that 720p vs 1080p will depend on the brand and model number. at the 40-42" size a sony xbr will be noticably different than the 720p model. Keep in mind that we are only talking about LCD flat panel televisions Generally the 1080p models should show less pixelation and are a bit brighter with better side angle viewing.

Probably won't see any 1080p broadcast for awhile but that really doesn't matter. The scenario described above is based on dvd, and 1080i and 720 p content.

9. Okieflyer

What do you guys feel is going to be the standard for dvd? Does Blu-Ray have a "leg up" on hd dvd?

That's the other thing that needs to come down in price. Also does the PS3 play Blu-Ray movies? Will XBox 360 play HD movies?

10. OUDoc

OUDoc ..............

All I can answer is that the PS3 does play Blu-Ray movies.

11. BoogercountySooner

BoogercountySooner New Member

Heres my setup. A sony 50" SXRD with a Harman Kardon 7.1 channel entertainment system set up in our custom made built in Hickory cabinets.

We love it.

[​IMG]

12. Getem

Getem New Member

Very nice. But, the subwoofer looks a tad out of place. And by "a tad out of place" I mean, what the hell were you thinking? :p

13. Okieflyer

Yes super nice! But ok I agree, do something with that subwoofer! ;)

14. BoogercountySooner

BoogercountySooner New Member

I got lots of furniture in there now the pic was taken right before we moved in.

15. BeetDigger

BeetDigger SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Did you ever get this solved? I think I can help you out if you haven't figured it out already. I have FiOS, both an HD box and a non-HD box (no, they are NOT all HD ready) and I just faced this situation when I switched my HD box from the Sony to the new plasma in the bedroom. Don't really need the HD on the Sony, although it is an HD tv, it is only 32" and at that small of a set, HD is sort of a waste.

16. BudSooner

BudSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Mike, isn't there an issue in regards to using DVI when it comes to copyright protection when viewing certain programming? I seem to remember that happening from time to time and as best I can remember, if you changed the setting from 1080I to 720P that it went away.
    Or am I confused? Is this soley a satellite issue or does it pertain to cable HD as well?

One last question, in regards to DLP...the moving parts....is this due to the "mirrors" that Sony uses??? :confused:

17. Frozen Sooner

HD-DVDs are outselling Blu-Ray movies and until the release of the PS3 had a massive advantage in sold players.

The 360 will not play HD-DVD out of the box, but can with a $200 add-on drive which can be easily hacked into an HD-DVD drive for your computer.

18. Frozen Sooner

1. Not that I'm aware of, but I've never had a TV with DVI inputs.

2. HP, not Sony, and that's what I've heard.

19. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Mike - that mirrors girl is really ticking me off with the way she pronounces it "meers". Can you kill her? TIA.

20. Frozen Sooner

I will do what I can.