1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sooner womens basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Oct 11, 2012.

1. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

Your women's volleyball...err...basketball team are a feisty little bunch. How cute.

2. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Inquiring minds want to know.....will Britney play for the WNBA or NBA?

3. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I am going to start calling you guys "Beatable Baylor," because, you know, your LOSS.

I don't give a sh!t if you all beat us by 30 a few times. You will have to likely beat us THRICE this season, and a Baylor loss to OU will mean far worse things than you guys doing what everyone expects you do against a depleted, injured Sooners roster.

In a nutshell, Baylor is setup and there is doomed, to failure. It might not be against OU, although I certainly hope it is. Beating Big 12 teams by billions of points is not going to anything except setup fans to thinking that the gravy train of wins is never going to end.

But Baylor's reign is coming to an end: In this season or the next.

Oh, and this is for you for your little insult of our awesome team:
    [​IMG]

4. SicEmBaylor

I counter with this: Take notes Badger...take notes.
    [video=vimeo;51281719]http://vimeo.com/51281719[/video]

5. badger

well at least she acts like she has a sense of humor for once... even during this part:

ESPN: Look how pretty Sherri Coale looks in her stylish clothes!
    Skeletor: (eyes burning in hatred) gasdlfjaksldfjlasdf
    ESPN: Look how ugly Coach Hoodie is in his homeless attire!
    Skeletor: Ooooo, me likey!

I'm going to call it now: A Big 12 team is going to beat you this season. I want it to be us :)

6. badger

Aaryn Ellenberg says we are 3-0...
    [​IMG]
    However, after Saturday, we are actually now 4-0 in the Big 12!
    Tech 55, OU 65
    In yet another we-were-down-at-halftime-but-we-found-a-way-to-win game, the Sooners trailed 28-29 at half at home to the Lady Red... Raiders... Lady Raiders... whatever.

Credit where it is due:

Aaryn "Vegas" Ellenberg(er): Our guard is faster than your guard. She is constantly using her speed to get quick twos, or get open for threes. If she can avoid getting silly fouls after one of our many turnovers (you know, trying to get steals after turnovers), she would be perfect (I am sure OU coaches would disagree, but this is a fan perspective).

Joanna "Four Foul" McFarland: She is definitely keeping Whitney's leadership spirit alive on the court through Whitney's season-ending injury. She continues to be our leading rebounder and scores a lot too. Would be interesting to see how long she can keep a double-double streak going. Her little flaw is her foul trouble, hence her nickname here.

Morgan "Le Assist" Hook: While she doesn't throw up the "Le Tre" stats that she used to, she seems to be the one that helps keep our offense moving. An improvement to her shooting percentage away from the line (where she was perfect Saturday) will help us during our more troublesome games.

Nicole "Toothpick" Griffin: If she could only hold onto all of her tall-girl rebounds, she would be first-team all-conference. She shot 5 for 10 from the floor and added a few free throws to score in double digits, but her rebounding is lacking due to teams being able to slap the ball away from her after she gets her hands on it first.

Sharane Campbell: While her stats lacked Saturday, she has played like a veteran, not a sophomore during these harsh injury times.

Soooo... how in the hell did we get to 4-0, Sherri?

Bonus Sherri presser moment:

Sherri: You're kidding me. YOU'RE KIDDING ME!
    [​IMG]
    Watch the SS.com clip starting at about 9:30 to see what made Sherri say that... and this:
    Sherri: Dad gummit!

Next game: 7 p.m. Tuesday at... Iowa State. TV is FS Southwest Plus/FCS Atlantic and radio is KREF 1400 AM/KOKC 1520 AM. I love our Sooners, but we may be looking at our first conference loss, unfortunately.

Boomer!

7. badger

Down by 6 at half due to turnovers silly fouls and, most of all, bricklaying.

Cool halftime segment with team visiting maddie manningham's iowa home before the game.

Will recap tomorrow or at same point, hopefully victory, but we cant live off of second half miracles forever.

8. badger

Well, at least we can away with this game without any injuries?
    ISU 82, OU 61
    The extreme lopsidity of the score was due to us trying extra-hard to make this a game late, with fouling, presses, and lobbed (and sometimes airballed) threes.

There's no postgame video online on SS.com, so straight to the stats:

Three throws: We shot 3 for 14 in the second half, 9 for 31 overall. Amesies girls, on the other hand, shot 41 percent in the second half. Hard to come back from a halftime deficit with that going on.

Free points: We were almost perfect from the line, shooting 14 of 15. Alas, so were they, going 19 of 22.

Sharane "Nickname TBD" Campbell: She had 19 points, 4 steals and 4 boards. Alas, she also fouled out.

Joanna "Five Foul" McFarland: Despite a Sherri protest over her fourth with about 18 minutes left in the game, McFarland had foul issues pretty much the entire game. Thus, Portia "The Juco transfer" Durrett logged more minutes than usual, 13.

Out-boarded, out-painted: 47 (them) to 27 (us) overall. They also could consistently hit whatever shots in the paint they wanted... not because we weren't guarding them, but because they were especially good at that and nobody came over to double-team... possibly due to three range worries.

Sherri, what say yo... WHAT THE HELL IS THIS, SS.com?!?!?!
    [​IMG]

Gag. Well, to the Internet!
    Thanks to these guys for the quote.

Next game: 2 p.m. Saturday hosting Texas. TV is Sooner Sports TV, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean... maybe it means "Longhorn Network?"

Boomer

PS: LHN actually does not suck for TV watching. They rebroadcast a lot of Bevo, which has been a lot of losing lately in football/basketball, so it's really not much of a service to their fans... more to the rest of the us, heh

9. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

Bad game. The key is to forget this game and move on to playing the way they were. The odds weren't good playing a good I-State team in Ames so a 20 point loss doesn't count anymore than a 1 point loss. They have to re-focus and get ready to play this weekend and not let this poor game cost us another game.

10. oudanny

oudanny New Member

It looked a lot like the UCLA game. Getting out rebounded by 20 is not a good thing. Of course, neither is shooting under 30%. It wasn't lack of effort.

11. badger

Beating Texas never gets old, so sing along if you know the words:
    [youtube]feeVFtMYWdo[/youtube]
    Psst! The words are "I hate Texas. I hate Texas. Texas... SUCKS!"
    OU 69, Texas 56
    While the loss earlier in the week at Sherri's nemesis Iowa State sank our ranking down to No. 20, the Texas win was a good win. It simply amazes me how far UT athletics has sank, at least in the big three (football and both basketballs) in the past five or so years.

Don't be mistaken: We needed Texas to be mediocre in order to win, because our free throws sucked (16 of 25?!) our three pointers are meh (7 of 21) and they outrebounded us. So, we needed heroic efforts once again from...

Aaryn "Vegas" Ellenberg(er): 22 pts

Morgan "Le Assist" Hook: 9 assists and 7 rebounds

Joanna "Two Foul" McFarland: 15 pts

Postgame presser moment (not verbatim, I paraphrase):

Reporter: Are you aware that you are 5-0 on your birthday and three of those are against Texas?

Sherri: I did not know that. Thank you for that factoid.

Reporter: Would you like to schedule Texas more on future birthdays?

Sherri: No no no, do you have any idea how old I am? No more birthdays! One a year is plenty!

For the record, Sherri is 48 years young... and here's an SS.com-approved postgame quote:

Next game: 11 a.m. Saturday at Baylor (sucks), televised by FSN. As per pre-baylor tradition, I will be posting all of Soonerpsycho's masterful anti-Baylor works from this and previous seasons beforehand once again.

Boomer!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  12. badger

A reminder that we play tomorrow at 11 a.m. Saturday. I usually remind you all of Soonerpsycho's fabulous gif work before our first Baylor win (knock knock), but RufNek has graciously already started a thread for us to hate Baylor on.

Whether you feel negative or positive about this game, I highly recommend you check out vBookie. I have posted an event for this and OU's other No. 1 opponent away game on Saturday.

Since pretty much everyone is writing this game off as a loss, a little bit of history via SS.com:
    • Oklahoma and Baylor are meeting for the 40th time.
    • Oklahoma leads the overall series 25-15. (Oklahoma counts a disputed scheduled meeting in 1981 as a win by forfeit).
    • The Sooners also hold a 9-8 series advantage in Waco, Texas.
    • Baylor has won the last four meetings. The Sooners were swept 89-58 in Norman and 81-54 in Waco last year.
    • Oklahoma head coach Sherri Coale is 372-171 (.685) in her 17th season. She has been the Big 12 Coach of the Year four times.
    • Kim Mulkey is 355-80 (.816) in her 13th year at Baylor.

We nearly beat them in 2011: I was there to witness the heartbreaking 82-81 loss at home. It was a white-out and was a very full LNC. Skeletor was stomping the sidelines most of the game and it was a gut punch to lose that close game against such a highly ranked opponent.

Baylor may like to forget, but there was a time when Sherri had Skeletor's number (before their dunking center pretty much guarantees them every game over the shorter, less athletic opponents). We won 59-54 in the Big 12 tournament and 60-62 at home (but lost by 10 at Baylor that year).

I am not sure how hardcore OU mens basketball fans feel about KU, but here's how I feel about Baylor: There is no opponent I want to beat more in the Big 12 every year. It used to be Texas, it's now Baylor. They have won two national titles, they've been to several Final Fours... but have only won the Big 12 thrice. So, we still have that on them, I guess.

Boomer Sooner :(

13. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

once the woMAN is gone, griner, they'll drop back below OU. They have a once in a lifetime player...hell St. Mary's would be #1 with her.

14. SicEmBaylor

Drop back to what, precisely?

This is Mulkey's record at Baylor BEFORE Griner ever stepped foot on campus

2000–2001 Baylor 21–9 9–9 6th NCAA First Round
    2001–2002 Baylor 27–6 12–4 2nd NCAA Second Round
    2002–2003 Baylor 24–11 8–8 7th WNIT Runner-up
    2003–2004 Baylor 26–9 10–6 T–4th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
    2004–2005 Baylor 33–3 14–2 1st NCAA Champions
    2005–2006 Baylor 26–7 12–4 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
    2006–2007 Baylor 26–8 11–5 3rd NCAA Second Round
    2007–2008 Baylor 25–7 12–4 2nd NCAA Second Round
    2008–2009 Baylor 29–6 12–4 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen

Her win % is .811

So, please, tell me more about how far we're going to "regress."

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  15. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

Here's hoping Sulkey Mulkey will leave Hypocrite U and go to WNBA so she can continue to coach Griner!!!

16. Chuck Bao

Chuck Bao SoonerFans.com Elite Member

There were 4-5 (for OU) to 1 (me for Baylor) in my mom's house today. My 10-year old nephew equivocated just enough to see if there would be any gifts/bribes possible either way. Smart kid: I think he should be a Baylor Bear.

Anyway, even I was jumping up and cheering when Joanna McFarland drained her three threes and pumped her fist up running back down the court. Jo is our favorite for spirit, for heart, for hustle. Regardless of school loyalties, ya gotta love that.

17. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

lol, prob know more about women's bball then you think, but no worries. Quit commenting on the reputation, say it on here...or to chicken #hit to do it?

regress behind OU. Check OU's stats, just as good if not better...reading comprehension?

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/yearly-results.html

18. SicEmBaylor

My reading comprehension is just fine -- the fact is, I didn't actually read the post of yours that I quoted above. I assumed it was identical to the post you made in the other thread; therefore, I responded likewise. I never commented on or attempted to make any sort of comparison with OU's program.

19. badger

OU: 65 Baylor: :mad:

I don't need to say anything, since much has already been said. Here's some sh!t from SS.com:

Joanna McFarland: 12 pts, 16 rebounds and about 50 trips to the floor. I hope she's all right. What a trooper. She deserves many standing ovations on senior night.

Ellen Burger: 33 pts and single-handedly kept us in the game for most of the first half.

42.3 percent: Mostly off Ellen Burger's 6 for 11 three shooting, we almost shot 50 percent for our threes. Pretty impressive.

Our bench and coaches and even the on-court players were smiling a lot during our 17-point loss, because they knew what they were up against, just like all of the fans. They played hard and still lost, so it's time to move on.

Next game: 7 p.m. Wednesday hosting TCU. TV is FS Southwest/FCS Central.

Boomer!

20. badger

Starting down 11-0 at home (first four minutes), you'd think that the outcome would have been a lot more :mad: but no, this is Sooner basketball:
    OU 74, TCU 54
    Sherri joked that she let her assistant coach the first few minutes and then decided that it was a bad idea. Billy Tubbs lol'd in the postgame at that. :)

It is moments like that where I remember back to Bob Stoops screaming at his players in the fourth quarter "It's Utah State!" where we're all wondering why we aren't blowing out this opponent at home. But, we ended up doing that. It just took longer than expected.

Scary moment of the game: Right around the time the OU men finalized their Baylor beatdown, Aaryn "Ellen Burger" Vegas had her right ankle worked on the sideline before going back to the lockerroom for x-rays. She did not return to the game, but did return for the alma mater and she is reportedly fine.

Bench celebration: Tara Dunn sank a free throw in the final minutes and Morgan Hook ran a lap around a cheering bunch of benchers at the end of the game. She's one of our volleyball transplants.

Joanna "Two Foul" McFarland: 12 rebounds and 7 points, including 2 for 3 from three. Yes, she's a senior.

Sharane Campbell: 23 pts, including 4 for 4 from free and 5 for 8 from three. She's the one that stuck around and didn't get injured of our stellar freshmen trio last season. (Kay Kay out for season and DeShawn Harden transferred). So hooray for our super sophomore.

Freshman moment: Nicole Cornett had at least one bad three shot (I think an airball) but still ended up 3 for 5 from three in 17 minutes. LOL at her coming in for other-Nicole (Griffin) and thinking it was time to inbound. The ref pointed to the other side of the sideline. No, freshman, it's TCU's turn to have the ball now :)

Sherri?

If you are just lurking here and not really a Sooner basketball fan, both teams have earned your viewership and fandom with their games last night, and everything they've done this season so far. Tune in, you (likely) won't regret it!

Next game(s): The men host KSU 5 p.m. Saturday, while the women go to Morgan(hook?)town to take on WVU noon Sunday. The men's game will be televised by ESPN2, the women's by FSN.

Boomer!