1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seau's Family Sues NFL/Helmet Manufacturer

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by FaninAma, Jan 23, 2013.

1. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

2. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

3. Seamus

Seamus New Member

Yeah, I remember the tragic day the NFL held Junior at gunpoint, forcing him to play football ...

4. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

I loved watching him play... but I'm kinda getting tired of this concussion excuse for players who are ****ed up in the head for whatever reason. Troy Aikman isn't doing anything like this. Nor are any MMA fighters to my knowledge. Blaming football for mental illness is like blaming guns for mass shootings. Doesn't add up.

Seamus likes this.
  5. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

the current line of thought is that isn't isn't about concussions, but lots of smaller impacts.

i'm guessing MMA fighters don't take as many head shots as boxers, who do also have this kind of problem

6. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

Not to bag on any former or current football players, but I wonder if the violent nature of the sport doesn't attract many who are predisposed toward mental illness issues.

7. I took a lot of shots to the head when I was playing high school football. Now I am here typing on an interweb forum. Think I have enough to sue somebody?

8. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

No. However, I bet there's a lawyer out there that would help you out.

9. agoo758

agoo758 New Member

**** this family trying to cash in on a death. The NFL didn't force him to play football, and the NFL didn't force him to commit suicide. I don't care how depressed he was, Seau was a selfish piece of **** for taking his own life, and now the family wants to blame someone else for his actions.

Seamus likes this.
  10. agoo758

agoo758 New Member

Art Schlicters lawyers are suiing the NFL because they claim that him running a ponzi scheme is a result of his brain being messed up from too many hits. These lawsuits are ****ing rediculous and the reason why we need a loser pays system.

11. Therealsouthsider

Therealsouthsider New Member

...I'm not sure which is worse, someone who takes their own life or those trying to profit off of it...hmm

SS

12. Seamus

Seamus New Member

I'm sure.

13. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

The constant shots to the helmet are deteriorating the players brains. The longer you are in the game, the worse it gets. A lot of these "brain dead" players can't function in real life. The problem is, they were not forced to play the game. They made tons of money and basked in the fame for many years. You have to accept the consequences that go along with football if you want to play the sport.

14. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i don't think that was in the brochure.

now some players are telling their kids not to play. i think that is more of what this is about than the money grab

15. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

In all honestly, I would steer my kid away from playing football. It's just too taxing on the body and can lead to lifelong issues.

16. budbarrybob

budbarrybob New Member

AP news wire: Rock Climber's family file suit versus Mt Rainier and the State of Washington. The suit alleges that The state of Washington provided a dangerous climbing enviroment by allowing late season access at Mt. Rainier, located 54 miles Southeast of Seattle. The climber was soloing near the summit when a winter storm hit. Temperatures dropped below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. After an exhaustive search, authorities were able to recover the body of the the climber. Apparently he was well equipped but was unable to survive the storm.

All made up of course, but there is no money to be made from a mountain.

17. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

I'm pretty sure the issue isn't so black and white as some of you are seeing, the plaintiffs issue is the NFL's cavalier attitude towards head injuries when they had info on how bad they were. They have only started to enforce rules in an attempt to protect the players from long term effects. They knew of these effects long ago, they just didn't do anything about it. Suing a helmet manufacturer is pretty silly, however. Players don't want some heavy clunky version of a helmet. Ala, that helmet that the kicker dude used to wear.

18. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

Bring back the leather helmets. You'd see a whole lot less head to head collisions. I'm joking, but I've heard the argument.

19. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It all depends on if the NFL or helmet manufacturers held back any information on long term head injury consequences...

20. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

It depends on lots of things. Sometimes you have to file a lawsuit to see whether you have a good case or not.

Fraggle145 likes this.