1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ronnell Lewis

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Rocko, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Seeing that he's going to move to DE next year, how will he be used? He's not quite big enough to be a pure DE it would seem but he has the physical skills to play a Joker hybrid position that Von Miller dominated in.

If this is the case (which he did later in the season) I'm pretty excited to see what he does next year. Could cause a lot of havoc for opposing offenses.

But anyways, what are some of the thoughts from more technically minded Sooner fans?

2. Dwight

Dwight New Member

…is a boss.

3. jersey sooner

jersey sooner New Member

Of all the prospects for the 2011 season, none get me more excited than #56.

4. Sooner74

Sooner74 New Member

I hope he does well. If he can bulk up a little, he can be a very disruptive speedy end type. We need that boy to step up this year and hopefully RJ comes around. I'm looking forward to Grissom the most though.

5. bixby28

bixby28 Member

I understand what you're saying about Lewis' size issue, buuuuuuuuut, Jonathan Jackson wasn't what people would consider 'ideal size' for a DE, either. Lewis seems like a guy who will do well anywhere in the front 7 (except DT). Beal played with his hand on the line most downs, but also lined up standing on occassions. That's the type of role Lewis could continue to play at DE, but that's Venables' call.

6. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

when they send him after the backfield, he's a killer. i guess they don't like him in coverage as much

i think he'll get better the more he plays. i look forward to more people getting Hammered :D

7. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Lewis will be just fine, be it as a LB or DE.

I hope we go to more of the 5 front (3-4 look) like we did late last season.

8. jersey sooner

jersey sooner New Member

He was superb in the "stand over the center, spy the qb for 2 counts after the snap, pretend the qb got your baby sister pregnant and never called her again" play.

TahoeSOONER likes this.
  9. OK2U

OK2U New Member

I'm getting hammered in his honor!

10. AlbqSooner

AlbqSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

When you think of Lewis as a DE, think along the lines of Jimbo Elrod.
    Ahhhh crap, most of you are too young to remember Elrod.

11. texas bandman

texas bandman Well-Known Member

Jimbo Elrod was one of my favorites from the 70's. He was a force to be reckoned with. I can only hope that Ronnell will be that good.

Piware likes this.
  12. SoonerLB

SoonerLB New Member

I remember, and this is a very happy thought! :)
    And the thought of our opposition getting "hammered" makes me giddy! ;)

13. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

when did the change in position get announced?

14. MyT Oklahoma

MyT Oklahoma New Member

Those were the days my friend.. those were the days. :cool:

15. Sooner74

Sooner74 New Member

He's been playing DE for awhile. That front we used at the end of the season was gold.

16. JLEW1818

how long has a "while" been ?

i saw him get hurt a LB against Iowa State.... when did he switch to DE??

i must be missing something..

damn u work

17. jersey sooner

jersey sooner New Member

He's been a stand-up DE/LB hybrid. I'm not sure he has one definite natural position.

18. JLEW1818

i saw him play LB last year?

he's not big enough to play DE... sorry

kinda like me trying to tell people 2 years ago that DM should take direct snaps from center.

just not smart

19. jersey sooner

jersey sooner New Member

He played very little if any in the standard linebacker position. He's usually standing up at the line of scrimmage outside the guards, in a very ominous stalker-like position.

20. Sooner74

Sooner74 New Member

Yeah I am almost 100% sure he played the hybrid on the line. The coaches didn't like his coverage skills and he was doing lots of good stuff on the line. He was there a fair majority of the time and I thought it was even discussed preseason last year.