1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride Question

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by soonersweetie, Dec 3, 2010.

1. soonersweetie

soonersweetie Well-Known Member

I have a band uniform question. (not so sure it belongs here in the football section). I noticed during the Baylor game and the OSU game that our band has on white unis. Are those new?

At home, their unis are crimson. So do they have new unis or do they have home/away unis?

Personally, I like the white ones better.

2. madillsoonerfan5353

madillsoonerfan5353 New Member

Yeah and I think they will break out the Nike Pro Combat for the Big 12 CCG.;)

:gary:

3. BoomerSoonerGoOU

BoomerSoonerGoOU New Member

The white coats are actually older than the red coats. The white coats have been used since the 2003 Rose Bowl. The red coats debuted at the 2007 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

The trend was white coats before homecoming, red coats after. However, I heard Britt decided to bring back the white coats for Baylor and OSU because he thought the red coats @ Mizzou and A&M were bad luck. Don't blame Wilson or Vulnerables for those losses. Blame the Pride.

4. SbOrOiNaEnR

SbOrOiNaEnR New Member

I've also heard that the red coats are made of thicker material, so it's the "cold weather" uniform. Any truth to this?

5. euphjay

euphjay New Member

Not really. They might be a slightly higher quality (aka heavier) material but they are basically the same in regards to warm weather versus cold weather. I would say that I would rather be wearing the lighter white coats in September though.

6. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Uniforms stink after a game. Think you'd sweat a little if you had to be decked out in wool for 12 hours in the sun? :D

They probably just rotate them so there's more chance to dry clean

7. soonersweetie

soonersweetie Well-Known Member

The crimson ones are HORRIBLE in my opinion. They aren't even the right shade of crimson.

The whites look much classier, just my opinion :)

8. oklaclarinet

oklaclarinet New Member

That was true of the old red coats, though the last time those made an appearance was the OSU game in 2000.

9. Boomer_Sooner_sax

Boomer_Sooner_sax New Member

The current red coats are the exact same ones as the white, just the color. I miss the old red ones with the cords and capes. We used to connect the whole row in front of us with the capes and then when one turned, it took half the row with them!

10. SoonerDood

SoonerDood New Member

if you wanna get technical, the last appearance of the red coats was at the National Championship celebration. :D

11. prrriiide

prrriiide New Member

That was the case with the old unis. The white coats were not too bad in the heat, but the red coats (we called 'em the straitjackets cuz they zipped up the back) were pretty heavy and kept us really warm in all but the coldest weather. In fact, there were only a couple of times that I got cold while wearing the straitjacket. Most notably, the '87 Bugeater game in Norman.

Yeah, but everyone knows that the sax players are eat up with teh ghey...

:pop:

12. texas bandman

texas bandman Well-Known Member

The red coats suck. The white is a better look. We had red wool uniforms in the late 70's and we got white lightweight unis in I think '79. I liked those better than the red ones eventhough the white ones showed the grime and spit from the bottom of my sousaphone much worse, but since it was under my horn who cared. I hope we're wearing white tomorrow...I think the red is bad mojo.

13. PrideTrombone

PrideTrombone New Member

The all-red unis look like pajamas. I always liked the white coats, and I love the old-school look of the old red coats. There was enough white in the center to balance out the red.

14. Section 9

Section 9 New Member

I like the red uniforms. :)

15. GottaHavePride

GottaHavePride Brewmaster

Half true, half wrong. My last season in pride was 2002 and I wore those white coats for a good two or three seasons. In fact, since we retired the red coats after the NC, they were all we wore in 2001 and 2002.

I miss the old red coats. They looked good. Pre-NC we shifted into the red coats sometime after the Texas game depending on weather. The old red coats were bloody hot. But I didn't even need a damn coat at the Big XII Championship in KC in 2000.